Nintendo looking into holographic storage solutions...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SER69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SER69
Member since 2003 • 7096 Posts

“… disclosure is herein made that the claimed invention was made pursuant to a Joint Research Agreement as defined in 35 U.S.C. 103 (c)(3), that was in effect on or before the date the claimed invention was made, and as a result of activities undertaken within the scope of the Joint Research Agreement, by or on the behalf of Nintendo Co., and InPhase Technologies, Inc.” Joint Research Agreement “… a written contract, grant, or cooperative agreement entered into by two or more persons or entities for the performance of experimental, developmental, or research work in the field of the claimed invention.”

A joint research agreement between Nintendo and InPhase Technologies suggests a radical future storage approach...

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
What?
Packt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Packt
Member since 2004 • 3380 Posts

What?Dark_Link142

Read.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dark_Link142

[QUOTE="Dark_Link142"]What?Packt

Read.

I read.

KingBowser91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KingBowser91
Member since 2007 • 2638 Posts

What?Dark_Link142

My thoughts exactly.

Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts

[QUOTE="Dark_Link142"]What?KingBowser91

My thoughts exactly.

ditto, someone translate.
Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
Less InPhase, more Optware.
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
[QUOTE="KingBowser91"]

[QUOTE="Dark_Link142"]What?Jdog30

My thoughts exactly.

They're not satisfied with only a memory unit just for Wii. They want it to work for every Nintendo system for the rest of your life.

Read,Read, and Read

This is a VERY cheap, effective, and inventive solution with ZERO drawbacks (because our reader only costs $250 thank you mam). Let's just hope it is backwards compatible, because everyone in the industry knows that Nintendo has made older models obsolete in the past.

creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but did anyone notice the thumbnail for this picture, and the fact that it was added in September of 05? It seems Wii Motion Plus has been in the works far longer than anyone realized.

EDIT: Unless its just an early model for the Nunchuck jack. Can't really tell.

SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SirSpudly

Less InPhase, more Optware.thriteenthmonke

Agreed, but by now everyone understands how Nintendo only relates to companies like them. This wiki article characterizes just how symbotic the two are about botched release dates.

I'm sure Nintendo loves teasing their fans more and more every second.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dark_Link142
[QUOTE="Jdog30"][QUOTE="KingBowser91"]

[QUOTE="Dark_Link142"]What?SirSpudly

My thoughts exactly.

They're not satisfied with only a memory unit just for Wii. They want it to work for every Nintendo system for the rest of your life.

Read,Read, and Read

This is a VERY cheap, effective, and inventive solution with ZERO drawbacks (because our reader only costs $250 thank you mam). Let's just hope it is backwards compatible, because everyone in the industry knows that Nintendo has made older models obsolete in the past.

Read it, read it, and read it.

Sounds very interesting. This may not only satisfy Wii owners with storage problems, but introduce a whole new method of storage altogether.

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

"A brief education courtesy of Wikipedia reveals that holographic storage requires a laser to be split into two beams. Data to be stored is encoded onto the signal beam via the special light modulator, before converging with the reference beam and stored onto a photosensitive medium. Reading the data from the medium relies upon a beam being emitted onto the medium at precisely the same angle, wavelength, and position of the reference beam."

From what I understand, it's a storage solution that doesn't use any hardware like a HDD or a USB stick. Nintendo would have to explain to the people how to use it because I really don't know how it would work on Wii.

Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
They're basically looking for fast very high capacity storage. It will take a very long time for games to max out holographic memory as holographic disks are capable of holding multiple terabytes.
Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but did anyone notice the thumbnail for this picture, and the fact that it was added in September of 05? It seems Wii Motion Plus has been in the works far longer than anyone realized.

creepy_mike
that was just part of the nun chuck; how it was first designed, it had a bigger plug part to go into the wii mote
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

I read about this on Wikipedia.

I saw this:

The theoretical limits for the storage density of this technique are approximately tens of terabits (1 terabyte = 1,000 gigabytes) per cubic centimeter.

Could this technology provide that kind of storage?

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
The article makes it sound more like a solution to the lack of storage space, but the technology itself sounds like a future disc solution. (ie. for their next console)
SER69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SER69

- Holographic HD Storage Overview (video)

- Holographic HD Storage Explained (video)

toadster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 toadster101
Member since 2006 • 12622 Posts
Talk about confusing...
Admiral_Yuzika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Admiral_Yuzika
Member since 2006 • 156 Posts
I don't know, it seems clear to me. If they did do that, it would be awesome. Forget Blu-Ray storage, give me some holographic storage. xP
SER69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SER69
Talk about confusing...toadster101
Watch the videos 1 post above yours. :)
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="KingBowser91"]

[QUOTE="Dark_Link142"]What?Jdog30

My thoughts exactly.

english please... nobody understood...
Admiral_Yuzika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Admiral_Yuzika

Okay, put is simple.

If this rumour is true, Nintendo might make a massive storage device (Not big in size, but big how much it can store.)

In theory, holographic storage can hold up to tens of Tetras. Now, let's put to an PS3 equivilant. PS3 has about 80 GB depending on what you get.

Now, 1 Tetra is equal to 1,000 Gigabytes, and I'll let people take that however they wish to.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BrunoBRS

if you mean terabyte, then ur argument is correct

anyways, you just finished explaining me what those weird discs are. i dont see that working unless we have 2 different readers: 1 for games and 1 for storage.

Admiral_Yuzika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Admiral_Yuzika

if you mean terabyte, then ur argument is correct

anyways, you just finished explaining me what those weird discs are. i dont see that working unless we have 2 different readers: 1 for games and 1 for storage.

BrunoBRS

Indeed...and I feel stupid now. xD I don't why I used Tetra, I'm thinking of the prefixes for Chemical naming and such. My bad.

lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts

What's the point anyway? We haven't even maxed-out the Blu-Ray. Besides, Holographic memory is very expensive...

No game is ever going to fil up 1000GB this gen or even the next one. Leave Holographic storage for the 10th generation.

Orange_Bulborb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Orange_Bulborb
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts
How could the holo-discs (Or whatever they're called) be used for memory storage if the wii's drive is read-only? Would we have to attach a new disc drive for this?
lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lancea34

How could the holo-discs (Or whatever they're called) be used for memory storage if the wii's drive is read-only? Would we have to attach a new disc drive for this?Orange_Bulborb

They didn't say it would be this gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#28 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
[QUOTE="SirSpudly"][QUOTE="Jdog30"][QUOTE="KingBowser91"]

[QUOTE="Dark_Link142"]What?Dark_Link142

My thoughts exactly.

Read,Read, and Read

Read it, read it, and read it.

Sounds very interesting. This may not only satisfy Wii owners with storage problems, but introduce a whole new method of storage altogether.

Nintendo makes their products obsolete on a regular basis, even peripherals that were released as recently as a month or two ago. "We have a rumble pak for the DS! ...Surprise, now it sticks out in a strange way with the DS Lite!" "Wii would like to play! ...but in order to enjoy most virtual console and hardcore games, you will need to purchase some classic controllers and gamecube controllers..." There's no end to it, and I'm hoping whatever this new patent is that we don't have to go out and buy a new Wii for it.
randomguy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 randomguy15
Member since 2008 • 1981 Posts
At first I thought this was a joke, but i'm very suprised to find out this is true, maybe. But who would pay this kind of money for holographic memory.
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SirSpudly

At first I thought this was a joke, but i'm very suprised to find out this is true, maybe. But who would pay this kind of money for holographic memory.randomguy15

What everyone needs to understand is that the media to copy information is extremely cheap (literally 30 GB for 100 yen or one American dollar), it is the reader itself that makes the product so expensive. Funny really, this technology has been announced since 2005 and we're still calling it new.

If Nintendo is investing, I imagine priority 1 is to retrofit such cheap media into what the Wii already has. Priority 2 is to market it without smelling of cheap snake oil. A lot of people here can't believe that so much can cost so little, so putting a Nintendo logo might shoot up the price $20.

Not that Nintendo ever had a problem selling Zelda cereal. Maybe we'll get stickers in this box too.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BrunoBRS

What's the point anyway? We haven't even maxed-out the Blu-Ray. Besides, Holographic memory is very expensive...

No game is ever going to fil up 1000GB this gen or even the next one. Leave Holographic storage for the 10th generation.

lancea34

who said its going to be used to play games? its storage, completely different from blu ray, which is the current ultimate evolution of the cartridge. holo-discs would be for storage of data, like a biiiiiig HDD. that way you could install all ur games to cut loading times.

lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lancea34
[QUOTE="lancea34"]

BrunoBRS

who said its going to be used to play games? its storage, completely different from blu ray, which is the current ultimate evolution of the cartridge. holo-discs would be for storage of data, like a biiiiiig HDD. that way you could install all ur games to cut loading times.

Use it as a HDD? That sounds better, but isn't it expensive? Wouldn't it rise the next console's price a lot?

Drummersteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Drummersteve
Member since 2006 • 85 Posts
interesting
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
This sounds like the type of tech where right now, a gig of storage is like $500 dollars.
darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts
This very interesting.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="lancea34"]

lancea34

Use it as a HDD? That sounds better, but isn't it expensive? Wouldn't it rise the next console's price a lot?

we dont know how much it could rise...

but if nintendo added tons of motion-sensing in a remote control and sell it relatively cheap, they may find a solution

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts

those discs are pretty expensive considering i can get 1TG for 200.

but if nintendo does use holographic storage, i think that'd be pretty cool. and no one would have an arguement for not having enough space anymore.

Tomic2505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Tomic2505
Member since 2007 • 564 Posts
it seems like were on to something here...:P
alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

Not going to happen for another couple generations.

If Nintendo is deciding to utilize this for one of their systems they have to figure out away to get a $18 000 piece of equipment into the system and still make it affordable.

LINK2207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LINK2207
Member since 2006 • 102 Posts
wow, if Nintendo ever decides to use this when the drive are at an affordable price, we will probably be having games in GC sized discs again or in a card shape(think a pokemon card or something for shape) since apparently they can be any shape.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ThePlothole
wow, if Nintendo ever decides to use this when the drive are at an affordable price, we will probably be having games in GC sized discs again or in a card shape(think a pokemon card or something for shape) since apparently they can be any shape. LINK2207

One problem however is that if they wish to have BC with the Wii, the drive will still need to be large enough to accept regular sized discs.

LINK2207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LINK2207
Member since 2006 • 102 Posts
[QUOTE="LINK2207"]wow, if Nintendo ever decides to use this when the drive are at an affordable price, we will probably be having games in GC sized discs again or in a card shape(think a pokemon card or something for shape) since apparently they can be any shape. ThePlothole

One problem however is that if they wish to have BC with the Wii, the drive will still need to be large enough to accept regular sized discs.

I think they would need a seperate drive for it to be BC. the holograph laser and the CD laser work in different fashion so I don't think they would be compatible.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="LINK2207"]wow, if Nintendo ever decides to use this when the drive are at an affordable price, we will probably be having games in GC sized discs again or in a card shape(think a pokemon card or something for shape) since apparently they can be any shape. LINK2207

I think they would need a seperate drive for it to be BC. the holograph laser and the CD laser work in different fashion so I don't think they would be compatible.

If that were the case, the easiest solution would be to have both laser systems in the same drive (similar to how early DVD drives played CDs). Having two completely separate drives wouldn't be economical.