Nintendo gave us Wii Speak, so I say it's time for Wii See!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts

As we all know, Nintnedo appears to be softening up on the online issues that concern many people. Wii Speak has already been released for online voice chat, so is it not logical to assume that a camera will soon follow? But not just any camera. Nintendo is to unordinary to give us the usual. After all, instead of giving us headsets for online they gave us something that picks up everything in the room. And of course instead of a traditional controler they gave us the Wiimote, Balance Board, and now Wii Motion +. They have a way of thinking outside the box, so it would be safe to say that they may very well do this when they make "Wii See". Or should it be Wii Sii? Regaurdless, I propose that if they make a camera then it should be not only a way to see your freinds online, but a controler! How could they do this? Behold the future: The Z cam

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
I'd rather them not pursue useless technology
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
I'd rather them not pursue useless technologyJaysonguy
Useless? There are endless possible uses!
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
This can bring for more innovation in videogames, so I would give it a chance.
Wolblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Wolblade
Member since 2008 • 986 Posts
Well, visual communication is becoming more popular among some people. Not just on computers, but consoles as well. The Xbox 360 is an excellent example of this.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts
camera games have been done on the PC and PS2 already..the eye toy for example. i dont think there going to bother with a camera for gameplay purposes.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Games featuring a camera would be limited to a certain amount of games in certain genres. What other than a boxing game can one think of that would put a camera to good use? I can't think of any, maybe that's why I'm not a game designer. :P
ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]I'd rather them not pursue useless technologyHead_of_games
Useless? There are endless possible uses!

Like what exactly? They do not even have a working online infrastructure for online gaming alone. Basic online gaming. Smash Brothers is still terrible, CoD: WaW is awful, 007: QoS is pretty broken and laking, mario strikers was laggy as hell when it first came out. The only 2 good games that I found were Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 and Mario Kart were the only passable games. Seriously, and even these games are worse than the Playstation 2. Friend codes are just totally unmanagable, 1 for the console, and then a new one for every game. That is pretty terrible. Online options such as game types, settings and ect are almost non-existant. And messaging is slow and unreliable in my experience. I mean if they would have just set something up that was unified, had a basic structure for all games, supported voice from the get go and finally had in game messaging, I would be totally happy with it, and i think it would get a lot more love from Devs would would be amazing! I would love to see, even if it were a few, great online games that were always populated and long lasting.
Turbo_Burdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Turbo_Burdo
Member since 2007 • 606 Posts
Instead of focusing on a camera, they should work on making the wii speak feature more accessible and less family orientated. Online play in general shouldn't be so safe. Yes little kids do play wii but Nintendo need to know that sometimes nintendo Wiis are bought by teenagers who play on their own in their bedrooms.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Online play in general shouldn't be so safe. Turbo_Burdo

Yes it should

The service is the only adult one out there

There's no need to cater to children who got too much lead in their diets

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
I don't think it's the best idea as the wii has enough peripherals already and I'd rather Nintendo make more games rather than peripherals.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

[QUOTE="Turbo_Burdo"]Online play in general shouldn't be so safe. Jaysonguy

Yes it should

I completely agree with this 100%. A camera for online gaming is the worst possible idea I've ever heard. Online games would all be X rated if they incorporated the camera. That would completely ruin Nintendo and any other company that did so because they would be sued multiple times for Adult Content for sure. Voice chat is as far as online gaming should go.

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Turbo_Burdo"]Online play in general shouldn't be so safe. nini200

Yes it should

I completely agree with this 100%. A camera for online gaming is the worst possible idea I've ever heard. Online games would all be X rated if they incorporated the camera. That would completely ruin Nintendo and any other company that did so because they would be sued multiple times for Adult Content for sure. Voice chat is as far as online gaming should go.

my gate is open;)

Wolblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Wolblade
Member since 2008 • 986 Posts

[QUOTE="Turbo_Burdo"]Online play in general shouldn't be so safe. Jaysonguy

Yes it should

The service is the only adult one out there

There's no need to cater to children who got too much lead in their diets

Agreed. And also, they have Parental Controls for this sort of thing, right?

I think one of Nintendo's bigger goals needs to be their online. While paving the way for casual gamers is fine and all, I know many casual gamers who love online. And again, not all gamers (casual or not) are unknowledgeable when it comes to technology. Anyway, rant over.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#15 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
They have a lot of other things they need to focus on before they make a useless camera.
webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts

As we all know, Nintnedo appears to be softening up on the online issues that concern many people. Wii Speak has already been released for online voice chat, so is it not logical to assume that a camera will soon follow? But not just any camera. Nintendo is to unordinary to give us the usual. After all, instead of giving us headsets for online they gave us something that picks up everything in the room. And of course instead of a traditional controler they gave us the Wiimote, Balance Board, and now Wii Motion +. They have a way of thinking outside the box, so it would be safe to say that they may very well do this when they make "Wii See". Or should it be Wii Sii? Regaurdless, I propose that if they make a camera then it should be not only a way to see your freinds online, but a controler! How could they do this? Behold the future: The Z cam

Head_of_games
Why does nintendo need to make a camera that does what the wiimotes already emulate.....thats simply a waste....maybe for the next system. They should make a wire that connects two wiimotes and allows them to act as one controller.
XDXDXDXDXDXDXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 XDXDXDXDXDXDXD
Member since 2007 • 2399 Posts
how about no?
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#18 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
No. Cameras would serve no point
agreed. Just like how the two cameras on the DSi serve no point to the gaming system, they would serve no point to the Wii as well, even if it is actual footage.
mutantmagnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mutantmagnet
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts
If the camera also replaces the sensor bar in the next iteration of the Wii then this will be a good idea.
scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Online play in general shouldn't be so safe. Turbo_Burdo

Yes it should

Ever notice that whenever there is a game incorporating wi-fi play, they flash the message "Online interactions not rated by the ESRB"? So that takes care of the ESRB issue....
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
no i really dont want to see
Megus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Megus1
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

has anyonee pondered the idea that some petafiles could tur this into some kind of new virtual playboy mansion?

SkyGTRline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SkyGTRline
Member since 2009 • 58 Posts

While I disagree with current Nintendo technology being useless and find it innovative, I do agree that such technology hasn't been put to full use in the majority of the games. Though I'd have to say, with the current Wii Wheel, WiiMote, Nun-Chuck, Balance Board and Wii Speak, my living room is getting a bit "clogged up".

jwhitmore12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jwhitmore12
Member since 2009 • 136 Posts
they should probably work on improving the wiimote technology in the games rather than keep going off on stupid experiments like this. they should focus on doing what the Wii primarily does well
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#25 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
Using web cams is pointless especially on consoles, if you were to use one,you would have to be talking with friends. Using the camera in games doesn't work that well either, sony tried it with the eye toy, maybe it was the hardware itself or the games but it didn't really seem worth it, I mean we already got the wii remote and that seem slike it would be more accuarate.
TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
They haven't really even perfected the use of the Wiimote and already you want to add more gimmicky add ons to the system? No thanks, the Wii Balance Board is enough for that game specific, pricey add on nonsense.
Turbo_Burdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Turbo_Burdo
Member since 2007 • 606 Posts
A CAMERA, HA! What an awful idea.
SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
Sorry, M+ is the last peripheral, and it should stay that way. Bring on the games now.
AjaxNeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#29 AjaxNeron
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts
Isn't Wii Speak bad enough? I mean, I love it and all... But, kids could be talking to 'off' people... It's just another way of luring children, and is quite dangerous. It'll be about as bad as some of the Webcam incidents.
The-Radiohead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The-Radiohead
Member since 2008 • 50 Posts
Probably it'll never happen, but what about a hologram?
DragonxanderPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 DragonxanderPR
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts

Probably it'll never happen, but what about a hologram?The-Radiohead

Dude, holograms are still in a much too early development stage (they're still not even safe for the naked eye). It would also make the Wii cost llike $250,000,000,000. Returning to thecamera issue, I don't find it necessary. I also agree with the privacy issues, the excessive periphelial development and the lack of basic stuff being impoved.

Greatfox424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Greatfox424
Member since 2009 • 30 Posts
I say Nintendo has to give us more use out of the wii speak before it gives us anything else we can name gimmicky
AjaxNeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#33 AjaxNeron
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

I say Nintendo has to give us more use out of the wii speak before it gives us anything else we can name gimmicky Greatfox424

Yeah... All we can use this 20$-30$ (depending if you got it in the AC bundle or not) item for is a channel where we can chat with our friends and over AC. AC has made great use of it, as has the WiiSpeak channel. But, with the upcoming release of the Conduit, that only makes three uses. So, indeed, let's make some good use of WiiSpeak before we even think about WiiSee?

jwhitmore12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jwhitmore12
Member since 2009 • 136 Posts

[QUOTE="Greatfox424"]I say Nintendo has to give us more use out of the wii speak before it gives us anything else we can name gimmicky AjaxNeron

Yeah... All we can use this 20$-30$ (depending if you got it in the AC bundle or not) item for is a channel where we can chat with our friends and over AC. AC has made great use of it, as has the WiiSpeak channel. But, with the upcoming release of the Conduit, that only makes three uses. So, indeed, let's make some good use of WiiSpeak before we even think about WiiSee?

They still havent even made enough games compatible with the Wii Zapper, Wheel, or Balance Board. All these periphs. are just gonna keep piling up it seems
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#35 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
There is also 3d laser control, where You hold fingertips in a laser and it will track Your fingertips. Which would work ten times better than this cam.
But i rather have them do something else:
I want them to add force feedback to the wiimote.
And it's possible allright. I'm just not sure whether it would be too expensive or not.
BARAKiU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BARAKiU
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts

May'be they'll release it with Wii Fit 2, so that you could have a live workout with Oprah.

King-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 King-gamer
Member since 2006 • 5633 Posts
No, even if there's a camera, I can't see it having any practical use. Perhaps it could track your face or something, maybe for some casual games but there's really no reason to have it.