Nintendo encourages constant battery charging? Is this true?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

So i read in an article that Nintendo encourages you to charge the system as much as possible....even if you've fully charged the system and played it for only 30 mins

they said that the battery pack nintendo chose was designed for constant charging...which is why nintendo included the charging cradle, so you could easily just toss the 3DS right on it after your done and be on your way

i mean i guess that makes sense as to what the cradle was for....but this just sounds odd to me because i've always known for batteries to be taken down to it's absolute minimal before you charged it because if you didn't it would lose it's zero point and wouldn't hold as long of a charge anymore

If this is true and this battery really is different than other batteries and can be charged alot without losing it's zero point then that totally solves the low battery life for me because i never take play this thing for more than an hour at a time anyway...so i can just slap it right on there after i'm done

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts
well the manual encourages users to replace the battery pack "if the usage time gets very short" i really hope nintendo or third party companies makes a battery pack that's 3 or 4 times more longer.
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Why wouldn't they say that? It's a lithium-ion battery, they have no memory effect, charging doesn't affect the total lifetime at all

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

Why wouldn't they say that? It's a lithium-ion battery, they have no memory effect, charging doesn't affect the total lifetime at all

ArchoNils2

im going to trust you on this one...

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

[QUOTE="ArchoNils2"]

tutt3r

im going to trust you on this one...

hmmm....i guess i'm going to as well....

i've still never heard of any battery being like this...but i'll trust you, lol

i just don't wanna shorten it anymore than it already is

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ArchoNils2

At the 2 posters after my post: Here's the Wiki aricle and I might quote:

Lithium-ion batteries are common in consumer electronics. They are one of the most popular types of rechargeable battery for portable electronics, with one of the best energy densities, no memory effect, and a slow loss of charge when not in use. Beyond consumer electronics, LIBs are also growing in popularity for military, electric vehicle, and aerospace applications.[7] Research is yielding a stream of improvements to traditional LIB technology, focusing on energy density, durability, cost, and intrinsic safety.

MajorPain10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MajorPain10
Member since 2007 • 524 Posts
To give you an idea of how much power the 3DS is using, it says the mAh on the back of the device. The 3DS uses a 900mAh battery pack, in comparison to the 450mAh that the DSlite uses. We can at least say that the 3DS is a power hog, however, a better battery pack could have been put in but would have increased the weight of the device as well as the price.
dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that the so-called "memory effect" is a myth. Back in the days of nickel cadmium batteries and unregulated chargers, what would happen is that people would overcharge or over-discharge the batteries which actually caused damage to batteries resulting in lower capacity. A properly cared for nickel cadmium battery wouldn't exhibit these problems. With today's "intelligent" electronics and batteries with built-in protection circuitry, overcharging and over-discharging is pretty much a thing of the past. Also, most lithium ion batteries are good for 500 full cycles, so running it down to 50% and then charging it back up only counts as 1/2 of a cycle. And it's not like they'll suddenly stop working after charge #500. The capacity just becomes slightly reduced.
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ArchoNils2

To give you an idea of how much power the 3DS is using, it says the mAh on the back of the device. The 3DS uses a 900mAh battery pack, in comparison to the 450mAh that the DSlite uses. We can at least say that the 3DS is a power hog, however, a better battery pack could have been put in but would have increased the weight of the device as well as the price.MajorPain10

Oh and to give you an idea how much those 900mAh are: I bought a 3600 mAh battery for my PSP several years ago and isn't bigger than the 3DSs battery. In fact the original PSP had a 1800 mAh battery. That said, the only reason we have 3 hours instad of 12 hours is because Nintendo wants to make a win of around $100 with every unit sold -.-' Seriously, there's no excuse for that

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

[QUOTE="MajorPain10"]To give you an idea of how much power the 3DS is using, it says the mAh on the back of the device. The 3DS uses a 900mAh battery pack, in comparison to the 450mAh that the DSlite uses. We can at least say that the 3DS is a power hog, however, a better battery pack could have been put in but would have increased the weight of the device as well as the price.ArchoNils2

Oh and to give you an idea how much those 900mAh are: I bought a 3600 mAh battery for my PSP several years ago and isn't bigger than the 3DSs battery. In fact the original PSP had a 1800 mAh battery. That said, the only reason we have 3 hours instad of 12 hours is because Nintendo wants to make a win of around $100 with every unit sold -.-' Seriously, there's no excuse for that

sad face

i really like the life of the psp battery, would've been cool to have that in the 3DS

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ArchoNils2

[QUOTE="ArchoNils2"]

[QUOTE="MajorPain10"]To give you an idea of how much power the 3DS is using, it says the mAh on the back of the device. The 3DS uses a 900mAh battery pack, in comparison to the 450mAh that the DSlite uses. We can at least say that the 3DS is a power hog, however, a better battery pack could have been put in but would have increased the weight of the device as well as the price.tutt3r

sad face

i really like the life of the psp battery, would've been cool to have that in the 3DS

There's still hope that we might be able to buy better batteries. I'm fine if 3rd party do so, but I get mad if Nintendo tries to make some extra money with better batteries :S

Axel_IX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Axel_IX
Member since 2008 • 275 Posts

I just did some research on these batterries and found that it is better to recharge your batterry more an not fully discharge it. And if you need to store it for a long time it is best to have the batterry at 40% charge. The main thing that ruins your batterry is temperature. Higher temperatures for prolonged periods will hurt your batterry.

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

So it's actually better for us to leave the 3DS on all the time and never shut it off? When we're not using it, even if it's only lost a little bit of power just close the system and leave it in the docking station to charge?

Axel_IX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Axel_IX
Member since 2008 • 275 Posts

Precisely!

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17858 Posts

[QUOTE="MajorPain10"]To give you an idea of how much power the 3DS is using, it says the mAh on the back of the device. The 3DS uses a 900mAh battery pack, in comparison to the 450mAh that the DSlite uses. We can at least say that the 3DS is a power hog, however, a better battery pack could have been put in but would have increased the weight of the device as well as the price.ArchoNils2

its not 100 quid per unit. the article your thinking of doesnt include shipping, marketing, assembly and so on..it just put a price on the parts of the thing. its probably not too far from 100 per unit mind. but the point stands....it looks like ninty seriously skimped on the battery. the origonal PSP had 1200mAh i think but that was upgraded to 1800 as standard. 2200 and 3600 batteries were also made available as extras. just poking around for the price of these batteries....they seem to vary wildly fro 5 to 30 dollars or so. but lets go with 30 as a worst case scenario. ninty would never pay 30 for a battery as they would buy them in huge quantities and get a good deal on them for a start. then deduct the price of the current 3DS battery so it would probably cost them an extra 15 quid per battery (this is a 3600mAh one..they could go a bit lower on that front also) and they could get nearly a 9-15 hour battery life (9 under the most demanding conditions). drop the cost of the docking station as that would no longer be needed for convenient charging to save a couple of more quid. they would still make plenty of money and this problem wouldnt exist. yea...ninty got this really badly wrong.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dzimm

...the only reason we have 3 hours instad of 12 hours is because Nintendo wants to make a win of around $100 with every unit sold -.-' Seriously, there's no excuse for thatArchoNils2

I really doubt Nintendo's profit margain per unit is that high. If you're basing that on the cost of raw materials (i.e lumps of plastic and metal) then keep in mind that it takes money to turn raw materials into components, and it costs more money to turn those components into a Nintendo 3DS, and it costs more money still to promote the 3DS and ship it to your local store for you to buy.

hensothor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hensothor
Member since 2011 • 522 Posts
It's been ages since batteries have been like that. I guess that is an artifact carried over from when they were common, but most batteries nowadays it doesn't matter how much you charge them, other than maybe losing calibration. Your battery life will go down regardless of how you use it though.
Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts
To give you an idea of how much power the 3DS is using, it says the mAh on the back of the device. The 3DS uses a 900mAh battery pack, in comparison to the 450mAh that the DSlite uses. We can at least say that the 3DS is a power hog, however, a better battery pack could have been put in but would have increased the weight of the device as well as the price.MajorPain10
The number you found 900mA is the AC chord input rating, the battery itself is rated at 1300mA.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#19 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

So i read in an article that Nintendo encourages you to charge the system as much as possible....even if you've fully charged the system and played it for only 30 mins

they said that the battery pack nintendo chose was designed for constant charging...which is why nintendo included the charging cradle, so you could easily just toss the 3DS right on it after your done and be on your way

i mean i guess that makes sense as to what the cradle was for....but this just sounds odd to me because i've always known for batteries to be taken down to it's absolute minimal before you charged it because if you didn't it would lose it's zero point and wouldn't hold as long of a charge anymore

If this is true and this battery really is different than other batteries and can be charged alot without losing it's zero point then that totally solves the low battery life for me because i never take play this thing for more than an hour at a time anyway...so i can just slap it right on there after i'm done

CDUB316
Nintendo is calling it a SPECIAL battery??? Well from what people are saying it really is SPECIAL. Its always best for batteries to get to a low level before recharging. This information is a little suspect. With all the covering up of massive mistakes Nintendo is doing this week. Coolyfett is not really surprised. Very Interesting.
dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dzimm

With all the covering up of massive mistakes Nintendo is doing this week.Coolyfett

:|

Seriously, bro, what the hell are you talking about?

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]With all the covering up of massive mistakes Nintendo is doing this week.dzimm

:|

Seriously, bro, what the hell are you talking about?

Haven't you heard? Nintendo is trying to cover up the fact that leaving the 3DS on for too long will cause it to grow sentient then try to kill off all of humanity. Nintendo covered this up so well that this information is only known to Coolyfelt and a few select others.....
fool_man_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 fool_man_dude
Member since 2003 • 1080 Posts

The ,anual states that the battery has approx 500 charges, and the battery life will start to drop.

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Batang_X990

From the President/CEO of Nintendo himself:

"As for the battery,it is inevitable that Nintendo 3DS will be a device which requires more frequent recharging than Nintendo DS. This is why we are going to include the cradle, which is a dedicated battery charger. Perhaps we may need to dispatch to our consumers a message, something like, 'Please place your Nintendo 3DS on the cradle as soon as you return home with it.'"

-Satoru Iwata

ARTICLE

my 3ds is pretty much always on the cradle whenever im not using it :P

kirkonacid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 kirkonacid
Member since 2010 • 486 Posts

I feel really silly/dumb for believing the myth about overcharging now. :)

That's good to know though. Now I can just leave it in its cradle most of the time.

I've heard that, with notebooks anyways, that it is good to completely drain and recharge your battery once in a while. Is this also false?

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#25 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

I just charge it in the cradle when I'm not using it. That seems like that simple method to me.

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Batang_X990

i've had my 3ds on sleep mode for the past 7 hours now and it's still @ full charge

so it doesn't seem like it's being affected that much.

i have a feeling sleep mode is encouraged instead of total shut down like the ps3

and modern pcs.

i do have the 3d, volume and wireless off whenever it's on sleep mode.

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Batang_X990

I feel really silly/dumb for believing the myth about overcharging now. :)

That's good to know though. Now I can just leave it in its cradle most of the time.

I've heard that, with notebooks anyways, that it is good to completely drain and recharge your battery once in a while. Is this also false?

kirkonacid

i don't think you can overcharge it because the charger turns itself off automatically once it's full.

if you try to remove it from the cradle when it's full and put it back in, the charge indicator

will light up but it will immediately disappear again after a minute.

bls_essex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bls_essex
Member since 2008 • 266 Posts

i've had my 3ds on sleep mode for the past 7 hours now and it's still @ full charge

i have a feeling sleep mode is encouraged instead of total shut down like the ps3

and modern pcs.

Batang_X990

I think turning the wireless off in sleep mode will definitely help, but I don't think turning the volume and 3d slider down will do anything. :) In fact, I don't think the 3d slider affects battery life even when the system turned on. From what I understand, the 3d effect is purely mechanical so it doesn't affect battery at all. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Batang_X990

[QUOTE="Batang_X990"]

and modern pcs.

bls_essex

I think turning the wireless off in sleep mode will definitely help, but I don't think turning the volume and 3d slider down will do anything. :) In fact, I don't think the 3d slider affects battery life even when the system turned on. From what I understand, the 3d effect is purely mechanical so it doesn't affect battery at all. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

you're right, the 3d is purely mechanical. in fact, the manual only goes into detail about the brightness as the number one major factor that makes 2-3 hour difference regarding the battery's life. it never even mentions the 3d functionality's affect on the battery. In other words, the 3d effect has no affect on the battery. volume does though, but it's very minimal. i simply turned everything down as precaution :P i'll keep it on sleep mode all day tomorrow for longer hours since i'll be studying all day
SnowyPaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SnowyPaws
Member since 2011 • 232 Posts

The ,anual states that the battery has approx 500 charges, and the battery life will start to drop.

fool_man_dude

Ok to me this just seems rather dumb (not you, the battery statement/issue ) I mean whom in their right mind is going to put a battery in a "gaming" device that only last for around 500 charges and then goes blam.?. I mean seriously the average serious gamer can go through that many charges in less then 2 months time, which in turn would cause said person to be buying a new battery every few months (ok i can now see greedy money hungry companies being ok with this idea.) I dunno to me it just doesn't seem right IMO.

----

and BAT hun umm if ya have your wifi turned off during sleep mode of the 3ds doesnt that affect the street pass feature and make it not work? Aren't we meant to keep that feature on at all times? I dunno this is all new to me so i'm still a bit loopy about what it all means.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
I've played my system from fill to red blinking lights twice now, with the 3D on and the second highest brightness setting also with wifi on and I get just over 5 hours.. 5 and 3/4ths with the power save feature one... Battery life seems to be on par with the original PSP and a hell of a lot better than my Ipod Touch... after reading all the hands on the guys at Kotaku had for over a month now I feel fine leaving it in the charging cradle whenever i'm not playing it.
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts

[QUOTE="fool_man_dude"]

SnowyPaws

Ok to me this just seems rather dumb (not you, the battery statement/issue ) I mean whom in their right mind is going to put a battery in a "gaming" device that only last for around 500 charges and then goes blam.?. I mean seriously the average serious gamer can go through that many charges in less then 2 months time, which in turn would cause said person to be buying a new battery every few months (ok i can now see greedy money hungry companies being ok with this idea.) I dunno to me it just doesn't seem right IMO.

----

and BAT hun umm if ya have your wifi turned off during sleep mode of the 3ds doesnt that affect the street pass feature and make it not work? Aren't we meant to keep that feature on at all times? I dunno this is all new to me so i'm still a bit loopy about what it all means.

:lol: Are you kidding? 360 controller battery packs, Dualshock 3 controller, PSP systems, and the DS batteries are all rated at around 500 charges... Its pretty common.. and there is no way in hell anyone is going to go through 500 charges in less than 6 months, and even then that would be playing it from full charge to dead 3 times a day..
dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dzimm

kirkonacid

I really don't think it matters.

SnowyPaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SnowyPaws

[QUOTE="SnowyPaws"]

[QUOTE="fool_man_dude"]

PoisoN_Facecam0

----

:lol: Are you kidding? 360 controller battery packs, Dualshock 3 controller, PSP systems, and the DS batteries are all rated at around 500 charges... Its pretty common.. and there is no way in hell anyone is going to go through 500 charges in less than 6 months, and even then that would be playing it from full charge to dead 3 times a day..

500 charges is not alot when ya think about it.. and 6 month wtf fantasy land do you live in? I clearly stated that any serious gamer would not think that 500 is alot .. it all depends on setting and how much ya play per day in the effect of battery life. but its pointless to sit here and agrue with you since you seem to be mr know it all and live in a fantasy land all your own..

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Batang_X990

[QUOTE="fool_man_dude"]

SnowyPaws

----

sony says the same thing about their dualshock 3 controller, but i've had mine for 3 years now, charging on and off every 4-5 days and it's still lasts pretty damn long. i don't think the battery life really affect it that much even after the 500th charge.
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ArchoNils2

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"][QUOTE="SnowyPaws"]

----

SnowyPaws

500 charges is not alot when ya think about it.. and 6 month wtf fantasy land do you live in? I clearly stated that any serious gamer would not think that 500 is alot .. it all depends on setting and how much ya play per day in the effect of battery life. but its pointless to sit here and agrue with you since you seem to be mr know it all and live in a fantasy land all your own..

6 months are less than 200 days, with that you can charge it 2,5 times a day which equals to 7,5 hours a game if you play with everything maxed. If you really spent so much time only with your 3DS I feel really bad for you. But who cares, after that the max. charge just goes down extremly slowly, it's not like the battery breaks or anything. And even if, a *serious* gamer (what you aren't if you just play one system btw ;D) feels fine paying some money for a better battery with 3600 mAh which'll probably release within this 6 months from 3rd party companies

SnowyPaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SnowyPaws

all i can say is *rotflmao*

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dzimm

500 charges is not alot when ya think about it.SnowyPaws

Remember, that rating refers to 500 full cycles. One full charge and one full discharge is a full cycle. Running a battery down to 50% and then charging it back up is 1/2 of a cycle. Running it down to 25% and then charging it back up is 1/4 of a cycle. You get the idea.

And once you hit that 500 cycle threshhold, the battery doesn't suddenly stop working, the capacity just diminishes slightly. For most people, that won't happen for a few years.

metswonin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 metswonin69
Member since 2006 • 1083 Posts

[QUOTE="fool_man_dude"]

SnowyPaws

----

You do realize that it is mathematically impossible to use 500 full charges in a two month period, right?