Nintendo contacted Kojima Productions for Wii U development

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Wintry_Flutist (14834 posts) -

Frankly, I'll doubt it will ever happen in a significant way:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-08-metal-gear-solid-wii-u-under-discussion

Nintendo has approached Kojima Productions about working on a title for the Wii U, the Metal Gear Solid studio has confirmed.

Creative producer Yoshikazu Matsuhana, the man responsible for the forthcoming MGS HD Collection and Snake Eater 3D, told Eurogamer that it was shown the console well in advance of Nintendo's E3 press conference yesterday, and is still weighing up how to best support the new platform.

"Obviously we did have talks with Nintendo early on – they approached us with the Wii U," he explained.

"We can't say exactly when this happened or what kind of talks we've had but we were aware of the hardware and we've been looking at it.

"We are very much thinking about possibilities with the Wii U and it looks like a very fun system. As for whether we'll have something at launch for the Wii – we can't say that. Probably not, but we definitely have things in mind.

"We're also looking at the public reaction. If there are enough people who say they want us to bring something to the Wii U that also factors into things."

Might Metal Gear Solid 5 be a nice fit for Nintendo's new machine perhaps? We tried and failed to tempt Matsuhana into dropping that particular bombshell.

"We anticipated we would get questions about this today and unfortunately our answer is, we can't answer that. We can't say anything right now. Top secret," he cheerfully responded.

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D is the next franchise title due out of Kojima Productions' door, with a late 2011 3DS launch planned.

#2 Posted by BigBoss255 (3539 posts) -
Kojima has said he wants to be multiplat from now on so as long as hardware isn't an issue you'll see MGS on WiiU. When PS4 and 720 are released I think it will end as I can't see them making games for weaker hardware.
#3 Posted by Leaky_Taps_Man (319 posts) -

MGS4 Twin Snakes could happen methinks.

#4 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26442 posts) -

Kojima has said he wants to be multiplat from now on so as long as hardware isn't an issue you'll see MGS on WiiU. When PS4 and 720 are released I think it will end as I can't see them making games for weaker hardware.BigBoss255

Thats if they do make another vastly more powerful console. It seems MS wants to drag out the 360 as long as they can, and Sony wants a few more years with the PS3. At that rate, Nintendo will just release another console thats more powerful.

#5 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26442 posts) -

Leaky_Taps_Man

Maybe it'll actually run in HD :o

#6 Posted by Lach0121 (11033 posts) -

Hey bring over the HD remakes of MGS2, 3, and Peace Walker!!!! That would be awesome, they could probably have that ready by launch!!! it would generate buzz, hype for the new Metal Gear games...

Be more games for people to buy at launch for the WiiU! Sure alot will get it on ps3 and 360, but not everybody went with those consoles or has one of them anymore lol.

Oh well We are gonna get a ps3 later on for Uncharted, Demon Souls, MGS HD remakes, Silent Hill HD remakes, Parasite eve franchise replay (for the 3rd birthday and all), along with a few other exclusives. (not getting either system till next year anyway)

I have heard a lot of good Ideas with the new WiiTab. I think MGS could definitely use it in some awesome and creative ways!!! I mean seriously look at the lengths they went to with Psychosis (and the rumble feature) lol.

#7 Posted by Morrinator (661 posts) -

I have a bad feeling that the launch of Wii U will be a failure in regards to quantity/quality software available.

#8 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -

Leaky_Taps_Man

I could really see that happening. They made many ports before and it would be a way to make money on an old game.

#9 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26442 posts) -

[QUOTE="Leaky_Taps_Man"]

HarlockJC

I could really see that happening. They made many ports before and it would be a way to make money on an old game.

I'd take MGS4 in 1080p anyday. It'd have to keep its loseless sound and multiplayer too.

#10 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

I have a bad feeling that the launch of Wii U will be a failure in regards to quantity/quality software available.

Morrinator

Well your going to have the feeling for awhile... till about next years E3 me thinks, where Nintendo will announce the actual launch line-up.

#11 Posted by Sepewrath (29945 posts) -

[QUOTE="Leaky_Taps_Man"]

HarlockJC

Well the only thing keeping it off the 360 is disc space. Nintendo should tell Kojima he owes them one for putting Snake in Brawl lol.

Morrinator
That's unlikely, releasing this console when they are releasing it almost assures a lot of the multiplat games coming out next year will be launch titles.
#12 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12833 posts) -

[QUOTE="Morrinator"]

Gamingclone

Well your going to have the feeling for awhile... till about next years E3 me thinks, where Nintendo will announce the actual launch line-up.

I have a feeling we'll have to wait till months after E3 to know. We know that Darksiders 2 will be at launch at least.
#13 Posted by AmayaPapaya (9029 posts) -

I think many devs are gonna wait to see the success of other games before investing a lot of money toward it. Can't say I blame them.

#14 Posted by superbuuman (6087 posts) -

^ agree with above, not really impressive he didn't confirm nothing..just *maybe wait & see* :P

#15 Posted by Gohansephiroth (9871 posts) -

Good to hear there interested in making something for it, what it will be none of us knows yet, but i do hope its either a new entry into the metal gear series or most of all a remake of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake. Nintendo gamers are finally getting MGS3D and some more games in the series would be great exposure for them.

#16 Posted by ii20JcM05ii (394 posts) -

If they make Metal Gear Solid 4 for Wii U, I'm prooooooooobaly going to be selling my PS3. GOD PLEASE let it happen.... IF THERE IS A GOD!! YOU WILL MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!! hehehehheh ;)

#17 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -
Personally I think we are going to see a ton of ports when the Wii U first comes out. I don't however see that as a bad thing. More games for people who have not played them is always a plus in my books.
#18 Posted by BigBoss255 (3539 posts) -

[QUOTE="Morrinator"]

Gamingclone

If it's only a year away from launch it's weird that they had no actual games to show. Unless you count all those multi plats which will be playable this year on other systems.
#19 Posted by tocool340 (21189 posts) -

Morrinator
I hope Nintendo don't do the same thing they did with 3DS, rush the launch to where the system don't have many titles worth buying. If devs don't seem like they're ready, with only 3 quality titles that may be available, move the launch up a few months. It wouldn't hurt. I doubt the Wii U will have the same problem as 3DS though. Dev's have an entire year to make games for it. That should be enough time to get something done...
#20 Posted by BigBoss255 (3539 posts) -
[QUOTE="Morrinator"]

tocool340
I hope Nintendo don't do the same thing they did with 3DS, rush the launch to where the system don't have many titles worth buying. If devs don't seem like they're ready, with only 3 quality titles that may be available, move the launch up a few months. It wouldn't hurt. I doubt the Wii U will have the same problem as 3DS though. Dev's have an entire year to make games for it. That should be enough time to get something done...

At E3 last year we saw loads of great 3DS games but the launch sucked. Nintendo didn't show any games for the WiiU besides a montage of multiplats so if anything I'm guessing WiiU's launch will be worse. Especially considering console games take much longer to develop.
#21 Posted by Sepewrath (29945 posts) -

I think many devs are gonna wait to see the success of other games before investing a lot of money toward it. Can't say I blame them.

AmayaPapaya
Unlikely, that wait and see approach is not a good approach and its what leads them ruin. Publishers are all about branding and franchises, the audience falls into spending habits, looking for games from X publisher or series. If you wait until the 3rd year the console is out to, people will have already fallen into those habits and your out of luck. Examples of such is early on, games like the RE rail shooter, Red Steel and even De Blob and even No More Heroes did well for themselves. To be successful, you have to be proactive and I don't think their going to make that mistake again.
I hope Nintendo don't do the same thing they did with 3DS, rush the launch to where the system don't have many titles worth buying. If devs don't seem like they're ready, with only 3 quality titles that may be available, move the launch up a few months. It wouldn't hurt. I doubt the Wii U will have the same problem as 3DS though. Dev's have an entire year to make games for it. That should be enough time to get something done...tocool340
Nintendo didn't rush the launch of the 3DS, if anything, they waited longer than they should by missing the holiday season last year, They did it to give the 3rd party a chance to early on to establish an audience, which they failed to do. Iwata said even before the 3DS came out, that Nintendo had bunch of their games done and they were holding them back. The fact that their stuffing OoT, Star Fox, Mario, Mario Kart and Kid Icarus all into last six months of the year only gives credence to what he said. They likely could have launched with a number of their games. They wont make that mistake again.
#22 Posted by mariokart64fan (20700 posts) -

lol why do you think he said he definatelly has somthing in mind if kojima wasnt gonnado anything for wii u if they are making mgs on 3ds its safe to assume they are going to at some point make a wii u game,

they already made a gamecube game before so , dont even bother trying to second guess kojima, they will suprise ya every turn of the dial ,

and i dont even care if they dont or do ,

i dont like the mgs series played 1 and 2 , not my cup of tea probably somthing id buy when im just collecting wii u games for the heckofi t like i do now for snes but other then that, good luck

im more interisted in 007 and whats going on with nintendos main games as well as what 3rd party has ,

including kojima but ya as said,ill take what is given im getting wii u day one no matter what this is nintendo we are talkin about cheaper then competitors next gen systems which wont be out for another 3 yrs ,so ya if its the only thing onthe market im buying it ,

im not waiting 3 years for sony and ms to pull their heads of out of no where to release theirs, time doesnt wait for no one,

and that statment will be true , for as long as i am a collector let me just say im glad sony and ms waiting because then i can get one of theirs when they come out then the next and bam not like this gen where i had no timeto waste - i had to buy a ps3 shortly after wii ,

so ya thank goodness ,

i think they got somthing it may not be mgs related it may be somthing from scratch but it should be good

#23 Posted by mariokart64fan (20700 posts) -
[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

Sepewrath
Unlikely, that wait and see approach is not a good approach and its what leads them ruin. Publishers are all about branding and franchises, the audience falls into spending habits, looking for games from X publisher or series. If you wait until the 3rd year the console is out to, people will have already fallen into those habits and your out of luck. Examples of such is early on, games like the RE rail shooter, Red Steel and even De Blob and even No More Heroes did well for themselves. To be successful, you have to be proactive and I don't think their going to make that mistake again.
I hope Nintendo don't do the same thing they did with 3DS, rush the launch to where the system don't have many titles worth buying. If devs don't seem like they're ready, with only 3 quality titles that may be available, move the launch up a few months. It wouldn't hurt. I doubt the Wii U will have the same problem as 3DS though. Dev's have an entire year to make games for it. That should be enough time to get something done...tocool340
Nintendo didn't rush the launch of the 3DS, if anything, they waited longer than they should by missing the holiday season last year, They did it to give the 3rd party a chance to early on to establish an audience, which they failed to do. Iwata said even before the 3DS came out, that Nintendo had bunch of their games done and they were holding them back. The fact that their stuffing OoT, Star Fox, Mario, Mario Kart and Kid Icarus all into last six months of the year only gives credence to what he said. They likely could have launched with a number of their games. They wont make that mistake again.

what , how did 3ds fail with third party , they made more games for the system so far then ninteno and its still a success, and nintendo did this same thing with ds except they had mario , one difference, between 3ds and ds mario 64 was the equalizer , but nintendo didnt need mario to make 3ds sell over 5 million-6 million or more, i lost count where its at but its selling , what ds sold and more in this same time frame from launch
#24 Posted by tocool340 (21189 posts) -
[QUOTE="Sepewrath"] Nintendo didn't rush the launch of the 3DS, if anything, they waited longer than they should by missing the holiday season last year, They did it to give the 3rd party a chance to early on to establish an audience, which they failed to do. Iwata said even before the 3DS came out, that Nintendo had bunch of their games done and they were holding them back. The fact that their stuffing OoT, Star Fox, Mario, Mario Kart and Kid Icarus all into last six months of the year only gives credence to what he said. They likely could have launched with a number of their games. They wont make that mistake again.

Seemed like they were rushing to me given how many games were launched and lack of variety of games. The last game coming out anytime soon is OoT, rest are quarter 4 or TBA last time I checked.. That's almost 2 months of no games for the 3DS. They should of held off til fall so consumers could have a variety of great games to choose from....
#25 Posted by Sepewrath (29945 posts) -
what , how did 3ds fail with third party , they made more games for the system so far then ninteno and its still a success, and nintendo did this same thing with ds except they had mario , one difference, between 3ds and ds mario 64 was the equalizer , but nintendo didnt need mario to make 3ds sell over 5 million-6 million or more, i lost count where its at but its selling , what ds sold and more in this same time frame from launch mariokart64fan
*sigh*reread the post, Nintendo left a window for them to just pile through before releasing their titles, the 3rd party did not and now Nintendo is about to start an onslaught of first party games; which will leave the 3rd party with very little room to operate. I didn't say the 3DS failed with the 3rd party, I said the 3rd party failed to take advantage of a window.
Seemed like they were rushing to me given how many games were launched and lack of variety of games. The last game coming out anytime soon is OoT, rest are quarter 4 or TBA last time I checked.. That's almost 2 months of no games for the 3DS. They should of held off til fall so consumers could have a variety of great games to choose from....tocool340
Like I said, they left a window for the 3rd party, they could have launched with these games, some were ready before the system came out. And even if they had waited until fall, the 3rd party games still aren't ready and they wouldn't have launched with all those first party games coming out at the same time. All it would mean is some of them would come out next year.
#26 Posted by tocool340 (21189 posts) -
[QUOTE="Sepewrath"] Like I said, they left a window for the 3rd party, they could have launched with these games, some were ready before the system came out. And even if they had waited until fall, the 3rd party games still aren't ready and they wouldn't have launched with all those first party games coming out at the same time. All it would mean is some of them would come out next year.

It still would have been launched with more games if it came out in fall. That's around the time most of 3DS games are coming out. It would had a more successful launch software wise coming out around that time. It wouldn't have hurt to delay first party titles to allow some third party games a chance to sell. A more variety of games to choose from would still make it more successful while having more games around the corner to look forward to....