Nintendo and their 3DS. What will they do ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jeanp34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jeanp34
Member since 2010 • 123 Posts

As most people do, I think the 3DS looks awesome. I would like to get one at launch, but something worries me a little bit. We all know what Nintendo did with the DS, they released the phat one, then the DS Lite, the DSi and the DSi XL. I have a DS Lite and I like it. I don't think the DSi had enough upgrades to justify a purchased. Anyways, that's not what I want to talk about.

What I would like to know is if you actually think that Nintendo will do a similar thing with the 3DS. I see a lot of people that want to buy one at launch and in every thread about 'Will you get a 3DS at launch ?', I see people saying that they'll wait for the 3DS Lite/3DS XL. I hope Nintendo won't do that, but I would like to know your opinions on that. Do you think Nintendo will do the same thing they did with the DS or do you think they will only release one model and more colors instead ( or something else if you have any idea ) ?

Avatar image for CongressManStan
CongressManStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CongressManStan
Member since 2010 • 918 Posts
I bet they will, so that's why I'm not buying one at launch.
ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ozzsoad
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts
Well lets see, Nintendo has done this with every handheld they've made, so yeah, they'll be doing it again with the 3DS. I'll be buying it at launch, I can't wait. That's pretty lame if there are actually people out there waiting for a "lite" version. The wait for the first 3DS is brutal enough.
ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ozzsoad

I bet they will, so that's why I'm not buying one at launch.CongressManStan
Dude, you may as well skip the "3DSlite" and wait for the "3DSi" or "3DSiXL" the year after that. No wait, just wait for the "3DSmicro". Yeah, definitely do that. It's soooo worth it.

Jeanp34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jeanp34

Well lets see, Nintendo has done this with every handheld they've made, so yeah, they'll be doing it again with the 3DS. I'll be buying it at launch, I can't wait. That's pretty lame if there are actually people out there waiting for a "lite" version. The wait for the first 3DS is brutal enough.ozzsoad

Somehow, I can't really see what they'd change to make a Lite version ( or any other version ). I think it already looks polished. If they do end up doing it again, I hope it won't be too soon and that they won't add something major so we won't have to buy a new one.

ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ozzsoad

Somehow, I can't really see what they'd change to make a Lite version ( or any other version ). I think it already looks polished. If they do end up doing it again, I hope it won't be too soon and that they won't add something major so we won't have to buy a new one.

Jeanp34

As technology advances, parts become smaller and cheaper, and as consumers are buying fewer and fewer handhelds Nintendo will release a smaller iteration of said handheld to increase sales. It's a proven tactic for them. It's inevitable.

Darkainious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Darkainious
Member since 2009 • 558 Posts
Well lets see, Nintendo has done this with every handheld they've made, so yeah, they'll be doing it again with the 3DS. I'll be buying it at launch, I can't wait. That's pretty lame if there are actually people out there waiting for a "lite" version. The wait for the first 3DS is brutal enough.ozzsoad
See I would tend to believe this, except I think the Wii will be done after they publish a last few games like Zelda, and Kirby. Then it will go into reset for they're home console.That is what they will want to focus on as far as hardware goes. I'm pretty sure it will be high-def and support 3d. This conclusion leads me to believe that they will take a different route with the 3ds and wait a few years for an upgrade. Besides, what would they upgrade beside screen size? I am getting 3ds at launch.
Gloryfinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Gloryfinder
Member since 2008 • 423 Posts

Based on past handhelds, you can pretty much guarantee they'll release multiple versions of it. They won't all come out right away; the Nintendo DS was relased over 5 years ago and the XL is just being released. The DS lite was released around a year and a half after the original DS was released. Most people who want the system will likely buy it right away because they don't want to wait potentially over a year for an upgraded version.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I plan on picking one up at launch. I bet there will be an upgrade but I doubt you will see it for over a year.

yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

What I would like to know is if you actually think that Nintendo will do a similar thing with the 3DS.Jeanp34

Nintendo have released incremental upgrade versions of all their other handhelds, so yeah, they'll do that for 3DS too.

I see a lot of people that want to buy one at launch and in every thread about 'Will you get a 3DS at launch ?', I see people saying that they'll wait for the 3DS Lite/3DS XL.

Jeanp34

Waiting for an upgraded version only makes sense if you believe that there is some big flaw in the first version that is sure to get fixed on the upgrade. Otherwise it's only stupid to wait if you want the device.

I hope Nintendo won't do that, but I would like to know your opinions on that. Do you think Nintendo will do the same thing they did with the DS or do you think they will only release one model and more colors instead ( or something else if you have any idea ) ?Jeanp34

I'm 100% positive that Nintendo will release upgraded versions of the 3DS down the road, it's a very smart move to keep the platform alive with fresh upgrades throughout its life cycle. I really can't understand how anyone could be against this, it's not like anyone will force you to buy the new version and the first version will still play games just as well after an upgrades version is on the market. To me this sounds like you'd begrudge people for getting the new version when you still have the first one.

yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

Besides, what would they upgrade beside screen size? I am getting 3ds at launch.Darkainious
There's always things to upgrade and improve upon. You don't have to worry about that :)

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

I dont see why someone would want to wait for the next version. If you want to enjoy one just get it you dont have to worry about being last-gen next year. People got the DS Lite mainly because it looked better and it was brighter. The 3DS looks fine to me. If they make a 3DS Slim i dont see a reason to buy it.

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

Theres going to be a second version in a couple years and we all know it. But Nintendo has made an awsome thing so none of us can bear to wait.

CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 CyberKlown28
Member since 2008 • 1198 Posts
I'm getting one at launch. Its nearly as lightweight as the dsi/and ds lite are. screen brightness technology has pretty much maxed out....any brighter and ouch. screens are big enough. none of the three new ds's were must-upgrades, even though they all introduced something nice. There isn't much Nintendo can do with the 3DS any time soon. the ds lite came out 2 years later, the dsi 3 years after that, and the xl a year later(though this was meant to be out at the same time) If somebody wants to wait 2-6 years to get one just for some small upgrade that probably doesn't matter, ok. ;)
Jeanp34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jeanp34

[QUOTE="Jeanp34"]I hope Nintendo won't do that, but I would like to know your opinions on that. Do you think Nintendo will do the same thing they did with the DS or do you think they will only release one model and more colors instead ( or something else if you have any idea ) ?yellonet

I'm 100% positive that Nintendo will release upgraded versions of the 3DS down the road, it's a very smart move to keep the platform alive with fresh upgrades throughout its life cycle. I really can't understand how anyone could be against this, it's not like anyone will force you to buy the new version and the first version will still play games just as well after an upgrades version is on the market. To me this sounds like you'd begrudge people for getting the new version when you still have the first one.

I agree with you,it'd be ok if they release upgraded versions of the 3DS. What I don't want to see is Nintendo releasing a new version with something totally new ( I don't have any exemples..But, let's say from DS Lite to DSi, there is the camera+download content. That was ok, I didn't really need to buy a new one. But more than that wauld be too much, if we need it to play new games. I don't think it's likely to happen and I hope it won't ).

frostybro24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 frostybro24
Member since 2008 • 290 Posts

im waiting for the second version because: 1. I bought a DS lite and it is wayyy better than the phat. 2. Just look at what happened with the iphone 4. a second version gives the company a chance to fix any problems that the first one had and to improve the system overall

EDIT: 3. I likely wont have the money when it launches lol

Wiismgrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wiismgrocks
Member since 2007 • 69 Posts

I think it really depends on how it sells. The only reason the Wii has stayed the same with only one new color is because it sells very well, unlike msoft and sony, they have not made a slim model. Nintendo handhelds get minor changes to keep sales up, and have been cheaper in the past, where if you look at the 3DS, its is going to be more expensive and is already polished out. This thing will sell well and nintendo knows that. I see maybe one more upgrade for it in the next 5 or 6 years...maybe smaller with bigger screens and better internal software layout...just buy one new when it comes out, it will be worth it imo.

JNKtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JNKtastic
Member since 2010 • 183 Posts
I really can't understand how anyone could be against this, it's not like anyone will force you to buy the new version and the first version will still play games just as well after an upgrades version is on the market. To me this sounds like you'd begrudge people for getting the new version when you still have the first one.yellonet
Actually, some people just don't want to have to buy what is essentially the same thing twice over because one version is 'buggy', has quirks not yet fully ironed out, and/or has defects while the other version is not. For example, I bought the DS Lite during its launch and the hinges on mine ended up getting cracked only after a few months in. I'm a gentle user in the sense that I take exceptional care of my belongings so the cracking was completely unexpected. Nintendo admitted to the problem and said that the cracking was/is only a minor cosmetic thing, but the crack CAN and DOES widen to the point that the hinge itself will come off which then affects the closing and opening ability of the unit which affects gameplay. After all, if the hinges broke off, how do you expect the top screen to stay in an upright position on its own? So much for a cosmetic issue only. Later versions of the DS Lite didn't have this issue nearly as much and Nintendo issued a free repair service to repair the cracked units within a certain timeframe after purchase. If Nintendo didn't offer to freely repair my unit, I would have been left with a 'defective' unit and I would be looking at having to buy a newer DS Lite to replace the one whose hinges were going to come off. Is it wrong for me to think that I shouldn't have to buy another unit because my older unit was/is originally defective? To me, different releases with different features is one thing. A new release that fixes a bug or a defect in an older unit is a different thing entirely as the consumer of the older unit was expecting the unit to work fine and was expecting the company to put out a non-defective product in good faith.
CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CyberKlown28
Member since 2008 • 1198 Posts
there were no bugs/defects o.o' and if there were, nintendo would fix them for free with the warranty, or if it was a large scale thing (ex. 360's red ring of death) they would recall everything and get it done right
ZachMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ZachMasta
Member since 2010 • 579 Posts

they could add a second analogue slider :D

pencru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 pencru
Member since 2009 • 1779 Posts
Whichever one of their releases has the best features or the prettiest color is what I'm looking for. That probably means I'll be waiting for all its iterations to come out. I'm extremely patient (and hopeful, and broke) that way. Hopefully they've got an XL for it. That would be cool.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Nintendo is obviously going to come out with multiple versions. I will get the launch version and keep that one; I don't know why people felt the need to run out and buy every DS that came out. Waiting for a newer version that will have minor alterations for a higher price than the original doesn't seem like a wise idea to me.
Wiismgrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wiismgrocks
Member since 2007 • 69 Posts

I think a lot of it has to do with sales, I think only 2 3ds systems will be made. This one already seems polished out, unlike the ds, what else can they add to it? maybe minor things like improved battery life or even a 3g connection if this one is missing that into future models. I just dont see much being done to change it. This time around I think we will mainly see LOTS of colors being announced all the time, like a new color a month, because that actually drives sales. It all comes down to this, if it sells even better than the wii, which I think it will, why put money into R&D and waste money when its still selling very well? We wont see an improved version till like 4 years from now I bet, but who knows with nintendo lol.

Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
I'll wait for reviews and if the complaints are minimal, then I will buy one. If there is something that needs fixed, I'll just wait for the next version.
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
They will probably do upgrades every month -.-
satx53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 satx53
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
If a certain amount of games Launch with it, Yes, I will be camping outside. We'll have to see, though.
gamesavers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gamesavers
Member since 2006 • 591 Posts

This one is easy. Ninty will release an updated 3ds pretty quickly. But u wont care, and wont be able to wait for it. The first crack 3ds is gonna lure u in. better start saving

Graboola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Graboola
Member since 2010 • 249 Posts

I'm getting one as soon as I can, if not on the launch day. When they do release another iteration, I'm sure I can scrounge up however much it'll be - if it warrants another 3DS purchase, that is.