new Wii RTS Dawn of Discovery

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts
announced today for Wii based in 1404 its a RTS that features online multiplayer and co-op designed for Wii due this summer i'm excited to see RTS on Wii its on wii.ign.com
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

As long as it has an option to not have pointer support there's a chance it will be good

Pointers just don't work for games that you need pinpoint control. Even games that nail it to the best of the Wiimote's ability make you want a thumbstick/D pad

So as long as it's got both we're good

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

As long as it has an option to not have pointer support there's a chance it will be good

Pointers just don't work for games that you need pinpoint control. Even games that nail it to the best of the Wiimote's ability make you want a thumbstick/D pad

Jaysonguy

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
I love games like this and i want this one to be good but i have lost so much faith and love for ubisoft
sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Jaysonguy

hmmmm is this sarcarsm or a take on being funny. No pointer support in rts is crazy, thats the reason they dont work on consoles, you need to beable to manage teams with speed, and thumbsticks just don't give you that.

Anyway, each to there own I suppose.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

sailor232

hmmmm is this sarcarsm or a take on being funny. No pointer support in rts is crazy, thats the reason they dont work on consoles, you need to beable to manage teams with speed, and thumbsticks just don't give you that.

It's serious

You need to work with speed AND precision, something the Wiimote as a pointer just doesn't allow

Anyone who's played a puzzle game on the Wii knows that even once you get the hang of it you can still do better with a thumbstick.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
Neat. I hope the controls work well.
sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts
[QUOTE="sailor232"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

It's serious

You need to work with speed AND precision, something the Wiimote as a pointer just doesn't allow

Anyone who's played a puzzle game on the Wii knows that even once you get the hang of it you can still do better with a thumbstick.

Oh ok, but like you wrote they can cover all bases by allowing both control methods. Taking away peoples reason to complain makes for better experiences.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts

Jaysonguy

It's serious

i don't believe your statement with puzzle games, i played puzzle quest for the wii and the pointer play was perfect even better then with the thumb stick
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="sailor232"]

sailor232

It's serious

Oh ok, but like you wrote they can cover all bases by allowing both control methods. Taking away peoples reason to complain makes for better experiences.

Yes, if they offer both control schemes everything will be fine because either camp will be happy

_Pinbot_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 _Pinbot_
Member since 2008 • 1062 Posts
Well it sounds cool but with the Wii massive hardware limitations how is it going to work? Will there be a 3 unit cap for the game?
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
Huh? I'm more accurate with the pointer than with a mouse in World of Goo... I played both (demo on pc).
AdRock92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AdRock92
Member since 2007 • 1616 Posts
That's good to hear. I think the IR pointer could work well, but I'm definately not against multiple control schemes. I'm not sure if there'd be enough buttons if it doesn't use the pointer though.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#14 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
Hopefully it will control well. It looks good.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
to be honest, point-and-click in wii for rts just doesnt work that well. u cant move fast enough, nor can u be precise
CoralMark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CoralMark
Member since 2008 • 481 Posts

Huh? I'm more accurate with the pointer than with a mouse in World of Goo... I played both (demo on pc).KungfuKitten

Same here, and I learned to have plenty of precision with the pointer playing ProEvo 08.

Maybe it's me, but I find it plenty accurate.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
Everybody knows Jasonguy has no hands and has to point the Wiimote with his mouth.
Nomad0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Nomad0404
Member since 2004 • 1111 Posts

Jaysonguy

It's serious

I am one of those that will disagree with you the pointer is a far better mechanism for controlling an RTS than a thumb stick, and I've just played Halo Wars and am happy to confirm that the thumb stick is the inferio method.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

to be honest, point-and-click in wii for rts just doesnt work that well. u cant move fast enough, nor can u be precisefunsohng

the only game i can think of that is RTS stlye on Wii that uses pointer is Defendin' De Penguin, and unless you've played it don't say point and click RTS play for Wii doesn't work

it works well imitating mouse-like control in FPS, it probably will too for RTS

but hey i'm just going off the positive hands on previews of the RTS gameplay parts of Little Kings Story, and you're going off of what proof?

anyway, i hope the game includes pointer with hot buttons (like double tap A while pointing at a unit to select all of that unit)

the fact that it has online versus and co op is nice to me. visuals looks decent. the fact that the visuals look average hopefully means its being sacrificed so many more units can be on screen

and i'm sure many units can be on screen, probably at least 100. i mean you can have 50 or so pikmin, so why not this too?

Nomad0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Nomad0404
Member since 2004 • 1111 Posts

Photo of screenshot

Looks like a poto of a screenshot to me but grahpically it looks pretty good.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#21 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
Everybody knows Jasonguy has no hands and has to point the Wiimote with his mouth.Wintry_Flutist
Ha! Funny image.
MuppetusG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MuppetusG
Member since 2008 • 232 Posts
I will certainly be keeping my eye on this. Good find!
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]Everybody knows Jasonguy has no hands and has to point the Wiimote with his mouth.so_hai
Ha! Funny image.

Is that Drunken Master in your avatar?
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

I think we should of had a lot more RTS by now, I hope this works. The closest thing we have to RTS is BWII and that was 1/2 TPS.

Edit: Does Jasonguy ever have anything positive to say about the Wii(without being sarcastic)?

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts

I think we should of had a lot more RTS by now, I hope this works. The closest thing we have to RTS is BWII and that was 1/2 TPS.

Edit: Does Jasonguy ever have anything positive to say about the Wii(without being sarcastic)?

DaBrainz
How was that negative? He's only suggesting multiple control schemes, which I think most of us would agree is always a better option than a single control scheme.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jaysonguy

here we all know that the wii mote works perfecly as a pointer

hansolo14

Where is "here" that you're currently at? Because it's sure not planet Earth

IGN who everyone loves here for their "Fair" coverage says this

IGN SAID: Pointer control is intuitive but clunky

_Pinbot_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 _Pinbot_
Member since 2008 • 1062 Posts
[QUOTE="hansolo14"]

Jaysonguy

I know exactly what you mean. I find the WiiMote to be quite inaccurate after playing those shooting games in arcades. It is suprising what a difference more sensors make. It is sad and scary in a way that the fanboyism possessed by some of these people actually interferes with reason and logic.

hansolo14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 hansolo14
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts
[QUOTE="hansolo14"]

Jaysonguy

do you consider MP3 aim as an example of using the wii mote as a pointer?¿? if you do it i dont want to imagine where you stick it to use it as a pointer (uhh), but i'm sure it works well with your hand

try it

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts
Well it sounds cool but with the Wii massive hardware limitations how is it going to work? Will there be a 3 unit cap for the game?_Pinbot_
Yeah, because it is well known that the Wii has the processing power of an IBM XT with 640 Kilobytes of RAM. No 5 1/4 floppy drive, though.