NEW upcoming Wii U game SWIPE KNIGHT

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dirtymangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By dirtymangle
Member since 2014 • 36 Posts

Hello everybody,

My name is Tommy and I been making games for about 5 years or so, and last month I got approved by Nintendo to make games for Wii U. I am so happy and excited because since I was 4 years old my dream has been to make games for Nintendo, and now 23 years later its finally happening :)

Here is some very early images my upcoming Wii U game Swipe Knight.

Swipe knight is a metroidvania game with many unique features and game mechanics. One of the most outstanding mechanics is that you DO NOT control the hero with the normal buttons, nope, you swipe on the touchscreen.

Swipe up to jump and swipe down to slide.

Swipe in the direction the hero is walking to attack.

Swipe in the opposite direction to turn around and walk in the other direction.

Swipe down while jumping to do a down thrust.

And more.

This might sound a bit weird to some of you, but I will post a trailer of the game in about a week or so and then you will understand that it’s not as weird as it seems, its actually really comfortable.

Players can also control the hero with the left analog stick in which work in the same way as the swipes.

The idea came from all these popular mobile games like Cookie run and Subway surf, they have a particular addictive feel to them.

I wanted to capture the addictive gameplay of those games and put it in a metroidvania style setting. The result is something truly unique.

You get the best of 2 worlds, the simple addictive gameplay elements of a casual game taken to a whole new level mixed with the excitement of exploring a vast world, finding new items, fighting huge bosses and all that good stuff.

STORY

Swipe Knight does not only have 1, but 2 stories. The main story which will be about 65% of the game is focusing on how the leader of a cult is trying to resurrect an evil demon who’s soul has been trapped inside a ghost ship.

The other story which will be about 35% of the game, is found in the secret areas and will progress more every time you find a new secret area of the game. So the game has a big emphasis on exploration and secrets to say the least!

As a gamer I have always been fascinated by games with interesting world themes, that’s why Mario Land 2 with all its unique worlds is one of my favorite Mario games.

So even though you will visit more common worlds like a desert, forest, hell and so on, will you also visit worlds with more unique themes like:

Cyberpunk Zone

Boardgame World

30s Cartoon Alley

Survival-horror Mansion

Garden of Love

To name a few.

Most of the worlds in the trailer have been from the more common ones, and if you want to see the more wacky ones then come back here on a regular basis because I am going to post some of them here in the coming updates.

But it’s not just the looks of the worlds that will make them different from one and other, each world will have its own unique set of enemies, puzzles, obstacles and gimmicks.

You probably wonder what crazy gameplay that will make use of both screens at once, right? Well the 2 screens will be used in many different ways, but without saying to much let me leave you with this:

You can control the hero with either swipes or the left analog stick, so it only takes ONE hand to control ONE character. The Wii U gamepad have TWO analog sticks and one touchscreen, and TWO screens. So there will be parts where you are controlling 2 characters separated from each other at the same time, one on each screen.

I don’t want to give away any more of my 2 screen ideas, because I don’t want to see them end up in someone else’s game before I released mine, but hopefully I got you excited by now.

More info coming soon :)

Thank you for taking your time to look at my work.

I will keep you all updated on the progress here in the thread, but you can also follow me on my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/tommy.nordered.77 , just send a friend request if you like what you see here.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@dirtymangle said:

My name is Tommy and I been making games for about 5 years or so, and last month I got approved by Nintendo to make games for Wii U. I am so happy and excited because since I was 4 years old my dream has been to make games for Nintendo, and now 23 years later its finally happening :)

That's awesome, congrats!

The game looks promising, though seeing it in action would help quite a bit.

Have you played Mirror's Edge on iOS? Some of these ideas show up in that game, including a more exploration-based game with auto-running and swipe controls, but it's still level-based. It's also a lot of fun.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

wow... i like the artstyle.

ill be on the lookout for it.

dirtymangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dirtymangle

@JordanElek:

Thank you:) No I never played Mirror's Edge for iOS, but I looked at a YT video now, and thankfully my game and that game is completely different in all other areas :)

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Good to see you pull through, hopefully we'll see your game out soon :) I'm also keen to release a game at some point too (not sure of the target platform yet), though I'm a while away from doing that.

Good to see you're thinking about the Gamepad too.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

It warms my heart to see people's dreams be fulfilled.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

Are you doing this solo? That's pretty impressive. I hope it goes well for you.

dirtymangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dirtymangle

@Star0:

Thank you:) We are a crew of 3 people, I do the coding and graphics, another guy does all the music, and the last guy helps me with writing the story, game mechanics, game testing and more.

Thank you all for all the positive feedback.

Here is a image of the first boss Comoth and another boss. Just keep in mind that its very early in development :)

emirblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 emirblade
Member since 2008 • 904 Posts

Man, Keep up the good work. Love the art style so far. When you make a trailer for it be sure to post it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
Member since 2014 • 322 Posts

This game sounds like it has potential. Goodluck!

dirtymangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dirtymangle

It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s an update on the game ;)

As I probably stated earlier is there still a couple of important game mechanics that I haven’t mentioned yet. So let’s take a look at one of the:

First of all, this game concept is kind of like Battle Kid in the regard that it’s a metroidvania game with each screen being its own unique challenge, and yes I did get some inspiration from that game.

So it’s not like Mario where you run and run and the camera follow you through the entire stage, no. Instead the is game divided in to short segments.

Now to the interesting part ;) Since this is a metroidvania game you are of course going to find new weapons and items. But instead of you going to a start menu and choose what weapon or item you want to use will the game automatically do it for you. What the hero carries in his hand when he enters a screen is what that segment is going to be based around.

(the framerate is not correct in this Gif, it's a bit to slow, it was either this or a bit too fast)

That allows me to create segments that are completely built around the gimmick of a particular item or weapon. I am aiming for huge variety in gameplay. I also want to point out that if you enter a screen that is based around an item or weapon that you don’t have yet then the hero will just carry a sword.

…Also here is another image of a boss, Janus ;)

Janus will have you travel through time during the boss fight ;)

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Cool stuff, dude. Will definitely look out for the game. Good luck with the rest of the process!

dirtymangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dirtymangle

@yokofox33: Thank you :)

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@dirtymangle: A minor thing, but I've never seen anyone shoot an arrow in that position (the arrow is on the inside of the bow, and below the left hand, usually it's on the right of the bow (if you're left handed) and above the hand). Not that it really matters :P

Keen to see a trailer of this game :)

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Star0

What will this game be rated?

CaptHarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CaptHarlockJC
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I like the touch of having Janus the good of doors...with a door behind him.

dirtymangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dirtymangle

@trugs26:

@trugs26 said:

@dirtymangle: A minor thing, but I've never seen anyone shoot an arrow in that position (the arrow is on the inside of the bow, and below the left hand, usually it's on the right of the bow (if you're left handed) and above the hand). Not that it really matters :P

Keen to see a trailer of this game :)

Thanks, after reading what you said I agree. Will change it later.

dirtymangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dirtymangle

@Star0 said:

What will this game be rated?

Not sure, but probably mature. I like mixing the colorful cute world with brutal gore :)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Good Luck. Maybe change the name depending on if Shovel Knight is a success or not.

I read about this here :

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/new-upcoming-wii-u-e-shop-game-swipe-knight.454094303/

dirtymangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dirtymangle

Todays update, lets take a look at some enemy animations ;) All these will appear in the trailer later this week.

More to come :)

dirtymangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dirtymangle

I just had to post this too Its blury cuz I took the picture on the screen while playing... But most importantly, you get what's going on here:)

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Congratulations mate.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Star0

That dragon GIF is awesome haha.

dirtymangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dirtymangle

Noved23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Noved23
Member since 2013 • 42 Posts

@dirtymangle: Yeah, congrats man! Keep us posted and I will be sure to support you. We need more developers for Nintendo. The art style looks cool and the concept is interesting. Have you considered on-rails, make it more about the timing of your attacks and dodging. Multiple-labeled paths on the screen to either try to attack or do other things. Every path does not lead to an untouchable take. Think about it for future games.

dirtymangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dirtymangle

dirtymangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dirtymangle

Also I just wanna say, thanks to everybody that have been giving me feedback.

Making games is very lonely and no one in my family has any interest in my work nor gaming, and its pretty much been like that for the last 5 years.

So this week when I been getting so much positive (and some negative) feedback from all you fellow gaming nerds is such a energy boost for me, and I will definitely keep you all updated on the game until its complete.

Thanks for making a dev feel welcome:)