New Super Mario Bros. 2 Release Thread - (Info, Pics, Vids & Reviews)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JollyGreenOne
Member since 2011 • 1001 Posts

New Super Mario Bros. 2 Release Thread
(Does this game succeed at going for the gold? Find out below)
7499023716_4549c52190_c.jpg

~About Super Mario Bros. 2~

tumblr_m57z899r0Z1rpk8l8o1_500.jpg

Release Date: Aug 19, 2012
No. of Players: 2 players simultaneous
Category: Adventure, Side-Scrolling
Publisher: Nintendo

Bowser has once again kidnapped Princess Peach, but this time, Mario has another objective. The Mushroom Kingdom is bursting with more gold coins than before. Each level is littered with gold as coins rain down from overhead pipes, trails of coins are left behind special gold enemies and gold pipes transport Mario into coin-filled caverns. It's up to players to collect as many coins as possible throughout their adventure.

FEATURES:

* The game records all the coins players collect throughout the game, so completing a level is only part of the fun. Every level is filled with golden opportunities, such as gold rings that turn enemies into valuable gold versions and a Gold Flower that gives Mario the ability to turn almost anything in his path into coins.

* New Super Mario Bros. 2 is filled with over 80 challenging courses to test your platforming prowess, spanning a variety of landscapes.

* Coin Rush Mode allows players to collect as many coins as possible across three levels and challenge friends to beat their record via StreetPass.

* New Super Mario Bros. 2 is an all-new side-scrolling adventure game featuring Mario and Luigi. Two players who each own the game will have the option to play the entire game in two-player multiplayer mode using local wireless. The return of Raccoon Mario gives Mario the ability to fly and access hidden areas.

* Players will have the option to either purchase the game at retail stores or download the entire game through the Nintendo eShop.

Want to know more? Visit the official website:

http://newsupermariobros2.nintendo.com/

~Iwata Asks: New Super Mario Bros. 2 Developer Interview~
main1.jpg

--Mario Cram School--

[spoiler]

Iwata: Okay. First of all, I'd like to ask how this project started. Now normally when people imagine how video games are made, you'd think that it starts off by building its base mechanics, and then work on designing the courses. But I heard this game's start was a little different.

Amano: Yes, that's right. This time the team that researches course design started working on developing the courses first, and the other staff were called in to turn it into an actual product. This format was a first for me.

Iwata: When you say the team that researches course development, you're talking about what is called the Mario Cram School.

Amano: Yeah. The Software Development Department of the Entertainment Analysis & Development Division (EAD) has always made the classic side-scrolling Super Mario games, but this time, there was an opportunity where (Takashi) Tezuka-san* gathered people not only from EAD, but also from the Software Planning & Development Department, and from other departments to explain how to make Super Mario stages. I was also involved with it as one of the students.

* Takashi Tezuka: General Manager, Software Development Department, Entertainment Analysis & Development Division. He has been involved in the development of many series such as Super Mario, Yoshi and Animal Crossing.

Iwata: Why did the Mario Cram School begin?

Amano: I heard Tezuka-san believes that the course design plays a key role in determining the fundamental elements of 2D Mario games, so he opened the cram school in hopes to spread that knowledge across others within the company. Alongside Tezuka-san, (Toshihiko) Nakago-san** was also deeply involved with this project.

** Toshihiko Nakago: President of SRD Co., Ltd. Beginning with Super Mario Bros., he has been involved in the development of numerous titles for Nintendo since the dawn of the NES. He is serving as adviser for New Super Mario Bros. 2.

-------------------

Iwata: The project gained one member after the other who had experience developing actual games for the Nintendo 3DS.

Ishikawa: Yes. I thought, "Now we should be able to make something fun!" and began to really look forward to it.

Amano: But Ishikawa-san and I were the only two core members of this project who had some sort of experience working on 2D Super Mario games.

Iwata: Developers with experience in 2D Super Mario are working on Super Mario for the Wii U right now. It was an unprecedented approach, even though Tezuka-san and Nakago-san were both working very closely to the development team, more than they ever had on a 2D Mario game, from the time they took the podium at Mario Cram School to the actual development phases of this project.

Amano: Yeah. A few people from the Software Planning & Development Department, in addition to their design staff, also joined.

Iwata: I believe quite a number of unique individuals with great dynamic range in term of capabilities came to participate from the Software Planning & Development Department.

Amano: Yes. Some knew a lot about games and some didn't, but the Mario Cram School we mentioned earlier came in incredibly useful. Participants got a firm grasp of the basic ingredients of what makes 2D Super Mario enjoyable and experienced actually making stages, so we were able to begin this project with a solid foundation.

Iwata: In that respect, some new blood came in to those in charge of stage construction theory and actually making the stages.

Amano: Yes, so I expected that we would be able to make something new that the teams so far hadn't.

Iwata: In addition, forming such a team made it possible to achieve what we never had before--making two New Super Mario Bros. games at once!

[/spoiler]

--"I don't like it."--

[spoiler]

Iwata: If you put a block over Mario's head, lots of coins come out.

Amano: Yeah. We call it a Gold Block. When we made it and showed it to Tezuka-san, he was super happy and then showed it to Miyamoto-san, but Miyamoto-san said, "I don't like it."

Iwata: He did?

Tezuka: Yeah! (laughs) He was hung up on why the coins come out.

Iwata: Ah. His background is in industrial design, so he wondered about the mechanism behind it. He can't accept something if the mechanism behind it isn't clear. An example would be the Propeller Blocks in New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Amano: Yeah. He said he didn't like how you never really understand ityou put this thing you don't really understand on your head, and for no clear reason coins come out.

Iwata: What did you think when he said he didn't like it, Tezuka-san?

Tezuka: Well, you know...

Iwata: Like he had his hands on the tea table?

Tezuka: Yeah.

Iwata: (laughs)

Tezuka: I did think, "Oh, no!"

Amano: We hadn't even sorted out the tea table at that point, but it was like the biggest table imaginable had been overturned with a bang!

Iwata: How did you get it upright again?

Amano: Miyamoto-san and Tezuka-san discussed it, and Miyamoto-san said that he hated how he didn't know what he was supposed to do after suddenly getting this block on his head.

Iwata: It is uncomfortable having your face covered up.

Amano: After all, coins have always come out of blocks when you hit them. I thought, "Then why don't we combine it with that action?" In other words, you're pounding away at this block for coins and end up getting it stuck on your head!

Ishikawa: Continually hitting the block displays your desire to get coins.

Amano: We tried making it so that the block completely covers your head as an effect of you hitting the block a number of times as if to say "I want coins! I want coins!"

Iwata: Ah, I see. It seems like there's a certain logic to it! (laughs) It seems.

Amano: I explained that to Miyamoto-san, and he said, "Oh, I suppose that's all right." I was surprised at how he accepted it without a fuss. (laughs)

Iwata: It must have suddenly all come together for him. Although, everyone has already recognized this, but you do sort of have to wonder why hitting a block makes coins come out! (laughs)

Everyone: (laughs)

[/spoiler]

The bits above are just a small sample of a great interview! If you'd like to read the full interview go to the link below:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/nsmb2/0/0

~Screenshots~

667819_20120605_790screen002.jpg667819_20120605_790screen003.jpg
tumblr_m68tlq4GwJ1rxgkljo3_400.jpg667819_20120808_640screen001.jpg
667819_20120726_640screen004.jpg667819_20120705_640screen032.jpg
667819_20120705_640screen025.jpg667819_20120726_640screen007.jpg
667819_20120726_640screen002.jpg667819_20120705_640screen013.jpg

~Trailers~

(Youtube) Penélope & Mónica Cruz TV ad
(Youtube) TV Commercial
(Youtube) Launch Trailer
(Youtube) Japanese Coin Rush Footage
(Youtube) Comic-Con 2012 GameSpot Stage Demo
(Youtube) Info Video
(Youtube) Iwata Asks - Developer Interview
(Youtube) Announcement Trailer

~New Super Mario Bros. 2 Reviews~

GameSpot - 7.0/10:

"Sure, there are some throughly enjoyable moments to be had, and at times a little of that Mario brilliance shines through too. But it's overshadowed by a real lack of imagination in its level design, which makes New Super Mario Bros. 2 little more than a retread of past glories. A fun, and sometimes challenging retread in parts, but a retread nonetheless." - (Full Review)

IGN - 8.5/10:

"It is impossible not to be drawn in by the simple perfection of New Super Mario Bros 2's mechanics and level design - this is as pleasurable and effortless as 2D platforming gets. But it's also impossible not to be disappointed that it's over so quickly, and doesn't offer anything really new. The best Mario games reinvent themselves at the same time as paying loving homage to what went before; they take something you know and love and make it feel new all over again. New Super Mario Bros doesn't do that - but it's a delightful game while it lasts, and still the best 2D platformer on the 3DS." - (Full Review)

GameTrailers - 8.0/10:

"The addition of coin rush and StreetPass functionality extend the shelf life of what would otherwise be a rather limited experience, but while there's still reasonable value here, the new Super Mario Bros. formula is losing just a little bit of its luster. Innovation and creativity don't shine as brightly as they should, but the glitter of great control and tight level design still make New Super Mario Bros. 2 tempting to pick up." - (Full Review)

Nintendo Life - 9/10:

"It may not be as gleefully experimental as Super Mario 3D Land, but New Super Mario Bros. 2 intelligently recycles past glories and consequently offers the comfort of what is arguably one of the most enjoyable video game franchises ever. It's immense fun, boasts brilliant level design and offers enough repeat play appeal to keep you glued to your 3DS system for weeks. And regardless of how badly you want Mario to evolve and provide fresh and exciting adventures, that has to count for something." - (Full Review)

GameInformer - 8.25/10:

"A Mario expansion still beats out most other platformers out there in the control and polish department. I can't deny that I still enjoyed kicking koopa shells, climbing fences in castles, and hopping on the flag at the end of a stage. On the other hand, players have grown to expect innovation out of Mario, and this game makes a strong case that perhaps it's time for Nintendo to move on from the "new" formula." - (Full Review)

Nintendo World Report - 8.5/10:

"New Super Mario Bros. 2 doesn't rewrite 2D Mario games, and is certainly not as inventive as last year's Super Mario 3D Land, but using that as an excuse to write it off would be remiss. New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a fine, quality Mario title that deserves a mention in the same breath as Nintendo's finest 2D platformers. It doesn't hit their highest highs, but comes much closer than the other games in the New Super Mario Bros. series." - (Full Review)

Click here for more reviews

What are your thoughts on New Super Mario Bros. 2?

Looks like more 2D platforming goodness so I might try this out some day, but for now I'm going to wait for New Super Mario Bros. U.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

It's a great game and as creative as ever with its level designs. I'm really enjoying the street pass feature. It's the best use of that function I've seen so far. It might not be as good as New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but it destroys the first game on the DS.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Great topic Jolly!

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

I'm only on world 4 right now, but I have to say I feel underwhelmed. The emphasis on collecting coins seems to overlap the fun factor of a 2D Mario platformer. It isn't a bad game, but I wouldn't give it anything over an 8 from what I've seen at the moment.

gettingpatches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gettingpatches
Member since 2011 • 218 Posts

Just got it and I kind of agree with the review, I feel it could have taken a few more risks.

It is fun however (especially when trying to speed run) and while collecting loads of coins is hardly the best thing I felt to sell the game on it is somewhat satisfying to see both your and the worlds total rising. Coin rush is also a pretty good mode, balancing the need to grab coins and seedrun quite well, but I kinda prefered the minigames in the ds game.

Having just played nsmb1 the visuals in nsmb2 are actually quite a bit better and certainly benefit from better lighting and a bit higher resoloution, although 3d mode is mostly worthless.

All in all I'm mostly happy with it. That said, I'm only on world 3 right now so my opnion will probbably change before I'm done :P

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Just got it and I kind of agree with the review, I feel it could have taken a few more risks.

It is fun however (especially when trying to speed run) and while collecting loads of coins is hardly the best thing I felt to sell the game on it is somewhat satisfying to see both your and the worlds total rising. Coin rush is also a pretty good mode, balancing the need to grab coins and seedrun quite well, but I kinda prefered the minigames in the ds game.

Having just played nsmb1 the visuals in nsmb2 are actually quite a bit better and certainly benefit from better lighting and a bit higher resoloution, although 3d mode is mostly worthless.

All in all I'm mostly happy with it. That said, I'm only on world 3 right now so my opnion will probbably change before I'm done :P

gettingpatches

How do you see the worldwide coin total?

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
It's super fun, some of the most expertly designed, tight, and exciting platform gameplay around. The coin collecting is fun, I do it without even meaning to, it just occurs naturally due to the way the levels are designed. The fact that it keeps a running tally through the game makes me put in just a little more effort to get them than in most Mario games, though, and I love putting together high speed runs with the coin block head to maximize the coins I get from them.
JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JollyGreenOne
Member since 2011 • 1001 Posts

[QUOTE="gettingpatches"]

Pikminmaniac

How do you see the worldwide coin total?

Here's what I could find:

"I just got a SpotPass notification on my 3DS. It said the World Coin Total has surpassed 50 billion coins. It also sent a specific number (it was in excess of 50,610,000,000) to the game itself, though the number was only shown temporarily.

At the moment, it doesn't look like the World Coin Total is posted anywhere online. For now, it just looks like they're gonna send us progress on it to our 3DS message center. Check there, and also take a look at the website occasionally to see if they put it there as well."
- SmokeRulz

So I guess if you have SpotPass turned on you should eventually get a notification from Nintendo.

And here are some other things I found:

- Around August 21st the worldwide coin total was "just under 36.5 billion." There was speculation around the web that over 30 billion of those were collected in Japan.

- Apparently Japan is collecting 2 billion coins a day.

- During Nintendo Direct on August 29th, it was announced that the worldwide coin total has hit 57 billion.

That's a lotta coins! :shock:

gettingpatches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gettingpatches
Member since 2011 • 218 Posts

Last update I got on the global coin total just happened before the title screen. It was above 50 billion.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
More of the same: The Revenge.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

It's a great game and as creative as ever with its level designs. I'm really enjoying the street pass feature. It's the best use of that function I've seen so far. It might not be as good as New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but it destroys the first game on the DS.

Pikminmaniac

Good to hear, since I loved the first game on the DS. I was a bit sceptical first, but I think I must get this game some time.