New subspace ideas for the new smash bros game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

spacepirate555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 spacepirate555
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts
This thread is about new SSE ideas in smash bros. You can add a totally different storyline or add on to the orginal one. But it has to make sense and you can include new characters too. Also, people can talk in the cutscenes.
Abood1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Abood1000
Member since 2008 • 90 Posts

I dont get it...

Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts
In a new Smash, I would get rid of the whole adventure mode, and spend all that development time making new characters and stages.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts

No more puzzle levels.

/thread

Darth_Nater307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Darth_Nater307
Member since 2008 • 924 Posts

Well, in my opnion, first of all, Nintendo will have to add the likes of Dark Samus, K.K. Slider, Midna (both Imp form & Twilight Princess from), Bowser Jr., Tetra, Rosalina, Ridley, & *puts up flame shield* Sora, Cloud, Tifa, & Sephiroth (That is just my opnion. I really would've liked to see them in this game. If you don't like it, I'm sorry. If you do, great) One of my ideas is that they could use more character based villians instead of just Goombas and Koopa Troopas. They could've added minions like Shadow Beast (from Twilight Princess), space pirates, Metroids, Bulblins, some Kirby enemies, like Waddle Doos & Bonkers, maybe the Ing from Prime 2. About talking in cutscenes, I don't think Nintendo can pull it off without making the characters look weird. More that half on Nintendo's mascots don't speak. Subtitles for everyone except Link, maybe? More game related bosses as well. They could've added Zant, Nightmare (from the Kirby series) Whispy Woods (you fight him the same way you do in Kirby's Adventure), a fight aganist Metal Gear RAY would be cool. If they had Kingdom Hearts bosses, maybe the Twilight Thorn (that big Nobody you fought at the beginning of Kingdom Hearts II), Andross, & finally, the Bulblin King (It could work!) Story plots: Dark Samus, Ridley, Bowser Jr., and Sephiroth are allied with the Master Hand. Midna is being held prisoner when the Island of the Ancients is about to explode, but she is freed by Team Falcon (Captain Falcon, Samus, Olimar, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Pikachu, & R.O.B.). Tetra appears on the sea right before the good guys are about to enter the world of Subspace, the reason Kirby leaves Peach/Zelda is because he saw a bright light, that bright light turned out to be Tifa being turned into a trophy by some unknown person (this also leads to Tifa joining Team Mario), K.K. Slider is walking around the desert when Ike, Marth, & Meta Knight are in pursuit of Galleom (and joins their party), Twilight Princess Midna comes into play while King Dedede, Luigi, and Ness are in Subspace and they come across Imp Midna's trophy, but Shadow Bugs consume it and make a Dark Midna. After defeating it and restoring life to the trophy, Midna emerges as Twilight Princess Midna. Last idea: It's just Sonic & Cloud who first fight Tabuu, but after defeat, they fly (as trophies) to the entrance of Tabuu's chamber. Right before all the heroes enter, they see the trophies flying and they all run to them (the villains are good guys at this point). Mario revives Sonic, Tifa revives Cloud. Could & Sephiroth meet, a quick battle begins, but is soon stopped by Link & Ike. Tifa points toward Tabuu's chambers (signifing (?) that's where the true villain is), Cloud & Sephiroth nod to show that they are on the same side.

Sorry for Great Wall o' Text, I couldn't help it. If anyone wants to add to this, feel free.

MrUn1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrUn1t
Member since 2003 • 255 Posts

^ die

anyway just remove subspace and make multiplayer better.

time would of been better used making a better multiplayer.

Darth_Nater307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Darth_Nater307
Member since 2008 • 924 Posts
Okay, first of all: No, I won't die. Second off: How do you fix something that isn't broken? I mean, ya triping could've been taken out, but other than that, what else could be done?
kirbyfalco55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kirbyfalco55
Member since 2008 • 214 Posts
Make actual enemies from games beside mario, get rid of the annoying camera thing that kills you if you don't do something fast enough. maybe have adventures take place in some of the actual worlds of the characters. I can't emphasize this next one enogh, GET RID OF MITES AND REPLACE THE PRIMIDS WITH SOMETHING FROM ANOTHER GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate those stupid mites, wait... actually I hate all of the enemies, but those the most. And next time the bad characters could be possessed by Dark Matter (from kirby if you didn't know) and add different bosses like Nightmare (also Kirby) one of Bowser Jr's robot things in galaxy, and anyone who has played super mario land, they could put in one of those bosses. And add Slippy or Krystal from star fox.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

No more Subspace at all

That was without question the worst Nintendo made platformer in the company's history.

I was dull, repetitive, and agonizingly slow to play through. It felt more like a punishment for completionists rather then an extra.

It lowered the quality of the entire game.

Sonick54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Sonick54
Member since 2005 • 7947 Posts
Just get rid of SSE completely. such an irritating adventure mode that lasted way to long for it's own good
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#11 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
I think they should either improve it completely or just get rid of it!
toadster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 toadster101
Member since 2006 • 12622 Posts

It was boring.

...and the story was terrible. It felt like some distorted fanfic told by a drunk 10 year old.

hyperactiveno1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 hyperactiveno1
Member since 2008 • 40 Posts

i agree that it was boring and that butterfly boss guy (idk what to call him..lol) is random and so is the storyline

the ending sucked too. seriously there was like 3 bad guys and a billion good guys xD (not counting those weird blob guys).

Chojuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chojuto
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts

Well, in my opnion, first of all, Nintendo will have to add the likes of Dark Samus, K.K. Slider, Midna (both Imp form & Twilight Princess from), Bowser Jr., Tetra, Rosalina, Ridley, & *puts up flame shield* Sora, Cloud, Tifa, & Sephiroth (That is just my opnion. I really would've liked to see them in this game. If you don't like it, I'm sorry. If you do, great) One of my ideas is that they could use more character based villians instead of just Goombas and Koopa Troopas. They could've added minions like Shadow Beast (from Twilight Princess), space pirates, Metroids, Bulblins, some Kirby enemies, like Waddle Doos & Bonkers, maybe the Ing from Prime 2.

Darth_Nater307

Beating up space pirates, and Shadow Beats (from TP) in Subspace would be freaking awesome. And the rest of your post was awesome to.

Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts
ok so i would change the SSE so that it is way shorter, thats all
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

^ die

MrUn1t
Haha. I believe you mean to say that the enter button is your friend and paragraphs are quite helpful.
Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts

Yikes. Everyone really seems to really dislike SSE. I thought it was a lot of fun. I'm repeating it for fun, too.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts
whats the deal with smash bros? a new one wont come out for another 5-7 years
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Yikes. Everyone really seems to really dislike SSE. I thought it was a lot of fun. I'm repeating it for fun, too.

Dark_Link142

Me too

MrUn1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrUn1t
Member since 2003 • 255 Posts
[QUOTE="MrUn1t"]

^ die

firefox59

Haha. I believe you mean to say that the enter button is your friend and paragraphs are quite helpful.

Not really, because me pointing out the obvious would have been a waste of a post.

I literally meant 100% of what I said, time spent making the multiplayer better instead of have a POS single player mode would of made perfect sense.

FRIEND CODEZ TRADING ANYONE? YAY

I just can't understand how Nintendo could of failed so bad at the multiplayer aspect. I mean I was playing 16 player multiplayer matches online on my PC FIFTEEN YEARS ago.

This generation sucks.

Nintendevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nintendevil
Member since 2007 • 6598 Posts
I gots idea!!!

how about not having one?
spacepirate555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 spacepirate555

seriously guys. I have great ideas. Master hand is the ruler of the smash world he conducts tournaments that brings people from various worlds to battle in the smash dome. All the worlds are linked together but the only way to access them is via portal. But master hand is the only one with a portal device so no one can portal jump for bad purposes. Crazy hand steals the device one day, though, and uses it to gather bad guys from different worlds(bowser, ganondorf, wolf, dark samus). The recruits bring super powerful devices from their worlds like the giant power star, the triforce, aether energy in Prime2, etc. Master hand is defeated by the battle drones in the the smash dome.

Oh yeah, separate worlds play out their own stories with their own enemies until crazy hand uses the portal to jump to that world. Ex. Bowser comes along to attack mario as usual but then mario notices that he's wearing gloves.( Crazy hand went to hyrule to meet with ganondorf to get the golden gauntlets to give to bowser to pull out the giant power star out of peach's castle). Crazy hand keeps mario busy while bowser gets the star. Crazy hand activates the portal and bowser and him hightail it to the smash world. But just as the portal's closing, Toad rushes in from nowhere to catch them as they escape. Unfortunately Toad gets flicked back through the portal right when it closes at the mushroom kingdom and the smash universe. So toad gets stuck in the world between dimensions. And crazy hand isn't used to the portal controls and accidentally goes to Earthbound. He reactivates the portal but not before Ness sees. Ness tracks their signature and uses PK teleport to get to the smash world. I'll update this more later and btw Tabuu Does Not exist! Or any of those other fake-me-out bosses or enemies. And people like pikachu and kirby won't talk at all but crazy hand and master hand have words appear out of the tip of their finger. And mewtwo and lucario speak with their minds(literally!)

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts

Subspace was horrible, not because of the story, but because it was just tedious. The first little while was fine, after a while though it started to feel really tedious and I just gave up on it all together. I haven't even bothered to finish it, I'm still at that part where you have to manually naviagte through that forsaken maze like place so you can fight the "infected" versions of all the characters.

They really need to change something up, maybe a mix of strategy and smash bros. Move players around a map a la Fire Emblem, engage in battle, capture enemy base, advance story etc. Even something like Chess Mode from Mortal Kombat would be much better than Sub Space. You assign chess ranks to characters from the roster, then when two pieces come in contact you battle it out for supremacy.

spacepirate555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 spacepirate555
my ideas are nothing like that old subspace trash. The story will make sense and there will be no great maze. i hate that part so much. and some of the fights will reflect actual games in nintendo history like samus against dark samus.
spacepirate555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 spacepirate555
Also, there's an item called the super smash ball that lets you use final smashes and they'll keep happening for as long as you want it to. Works best with transformations like giga bowser or wario man. That's why bowser was getting the power star and ganondorf wants the triforce and eggman the chaos emeralds. But crazy hand programmed the device so that the final smash would seperate from the user and be twice as powerful. This way crazy hand can stab the badguys in the back and have even more powerful minions. So the bad guys have to work with the good guys again to stop the ultimate evil. And i was disappointed at the number of final smashes in the old subspace:1.5. Diddy kong did his on the flying thing that carried things into the subspace bomb factory(write when falco dropped him off to rescue DK) and ike said great aether and he unleashed aether.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I gots idea!!!

how about not having one?Nintendevil

Amen, if you take that out then Smash Bros gets a higher score

spacepirate555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 spacepirate555
the subspace was fun though and if improved, could actually be really fun and interesting.
thompi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thompi
Member since 2008 • 37 Posts
get rid of SSE and work on the stage builder
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34785 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintendevil"]I gots idea!!!

how about not having one?Jaysonguy

Amen, if you take that out then Smash Bros gets a higher score

That's just silly. If you don't like SSE, don't play it. It can't lower a score of a game just for being there. I, personally, thought it was pretty fun to play through and my brother seems to like it even more.

Some people like it, some don't. You don't have to take it away from the game for that cause.

I understand if you dislike it becuse you think the other parts of the game would've been more polished if they didn't bother with the SSE mode, but if that isn't the case, I stay troubled by your comment.

GreatSlayer980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 GreatSlayer980
Member since 2008 • 147 Posts

Well, in my opnion, first of all, Nintendo will have to add the likes of Dark Samus, K.K. Slider, Midna (both Imp form & Twilight Princess from), Bowser Jr., Tetra, Rosalina, Ridley, & *puts up flame shield* Sora, Cloud, Tifa, & Sephiroth (That is just my opnion. I really would've liked to see them in this game. If you don't like it, I'm sorry. If you do, great) One of my ideas is that they could use more character based villians instead of just Goombas and Koopa Troopas. They could've added minions like Shadow Beast (from Twilight Princess), space pirates, Metroids, Bulblins, some Kirby enemies, like Waddle Doos & Bonkers, maybe the Ing from Prime 2. About talking in cutscenes, I don't think Nintendo can pull it off without making the characters look weird. More that half on Nintendo's mascots don't speak. Subtitles for everyone except Link, maybe? More game related bosses as well. They could've added Zant, Nightmare (from the Kirby series) Whispy Woods (you fight him the same way you do in Kirby's Adventure), a fight aganist Metal Gear RAY would be cool. If they had Kingdom Hearts bosses, maybe the Twilight Thorn (that big Nobody you fought at the beginning of Kingdom Hearts II), Andross, & finally, the Bulblin King (It could work!) Story plots: Dark Samus, Ridley, Bowser Jr., and Sephiroth are allied with the Master Hand. Midna is being held prisoner when the Island of the Ancients is about to explode, but she is freed by Team Falcon (Captain Falcon, Samus, Olimar, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Pikachu, & R.O.B.). Tetra appears on the sea right before the good guys are about to enter the world of Subspace, the reason Kirby leaves Peach/Zelda is because he saw a bright light, that bright light turned out to be Tifa being turned into a trophy by some unknown person (this also leads to Tifa joining Team Mario), K.K. Slider is walking around the desert when Ike, Marth, & Meta Knight are in pursuit of Galleom (and joins their party), Twilight Princess Midna comes into play while King Dedede, Luigi, and Ness are in Subspace and they come across Imp Midna's trophy, but Shadow Bugs consume it and make a Dark Midna. After defeating it and restoring life to the trophy, Midna emerges as Twilight Princess Midna. Last idea: It's just Sonic & Cloud who first fight Tabuu, but after defeat, they fly (as trophies) to the entrance of Tabuu's chamber. Right before all the heroes enter, they see the trophies flying and they all run to them (the villains are good guys at this point). Mario revives Sonic, Tifa revives Cloud. Could & Sephiroth meet, a quick battle begins, but is soon stopped by Link & Ike. Tifa points toward Tabuu's chambers (signifing (?) that's where the true villain is), Cloud & Sephiroth nod to show that they are on the same side.

Sorry for Great Wall o' Text, I couldn't help it. If anyone wants to add to this, feel free.

Darth_Nater307
Quite the list of characters though half of them would be useless
Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts
Just less repetitive and more interestings things to do. It would have been ok if it was shorter.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Not really, because me pointing out the obvious would have been a waste of a post.

I literally meant 100% of what I said, time spent making the multiplayer better instead of have a POS single player mode would of made perfect sense.

FRIEND CODEZ TRADING ANYONE? YAY

I just can't understand how Nintendo could of failed so bad at the multiplayer aspect. I mean I was playing 16 player multiplayer matches online on my PC FIFTEEN YEARS ago.

This generation sucks.

MrUn1t

Multiplayer and online are not synonyms. A game can have great multiplayer options and no online at all. Smash Bros is the ultimate multiplayer game, but you need friends... Real friends.

spacepirate555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 spacepirate555

The subspace would've been better if each character had it's own story and world and it got mixed with other stories and then every world teams together to stop crazy hand(we'll make him way harder than in melee or original). Not that he wasn't hard, we're just going to make him harder:D.

sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts
It would be cool if they changed it to a RPG.
spacepirate555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 spacepirate555

Wow, even I'm not so sure of my idea anymore(the whole general new subspace idea)... It has been a year and opinions change. But there is that thing called Project Sora that Nintendo and Sora Ltd. are doing together so maybe some Smash talk will come out of that.

Boomarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Boomarley
Member since 2006 • 897 Posts

The fundamental thing that could have made Subspace a lot better: better use of the Nintendo franchises. Most of the characters ended up not being that integral to the plot overall and the enemy selection is a joke. You have a whole history of monsters across loads of different franchises and you choose from and you go with generic original monsters with bad puns for names. It's like you could substitute original characters for the Nintendo characters and the story would still play out similarly, just like your average licensed game. It's a real disappointment considering how much mythology is behind Nintendo games that the plot turned out so generic. As for the gameplay, once again, there's a variety of gameplay potential utilizing the Nintendo franchises, and you rigidly stick to platforming resembling a wannabe Kirby game. Many Nintendo games tend to be praised for having a variety of gameplay styles present, and yet here it's the same platforming over and over again. I'd say that this mode really suffered from being primarily Sakurai working on a project that should have had a Nintendo "dream team" behind it.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#38 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

OK, I don't think that the storyline has to make much sense since, y'know, it involves, Link, Pit, Mario, Sonic, Snake, etc all fighting to save, y'know, the world from something.... :P

But here's what I think it should be and this probably isn't the right way to go about it, but it would kinda cool in my opinion.

So, you have Mario out to save the Princess, it's like your typically Mario adventure at first, and he never realizes that he was being baited the whole time.

We repeat this for a few other characters, probably Link and Samus, and everyone will get transported to this world. The other Nintendo characters are ALL under control of that original Subspace thingy that made them so evil, but now it's far more potent than before, actually causing the world around them to decay. It's your job to rally as many of these fighters together as you can and return back to each character's individual world: Onett, Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, etc, and turn those lands back to normal.

From there we'll have a similar united offensive like in the original Subspace where everyone will enter the evil dimension to stand united. Except every single character or group of characters will have to fight the main villain/villains of their own world, recruit them if they are like Ganondorf or Bowser, kill them off if they are, say, Kraid, Ridley, Mother Brain (yes, they are all in together in my imaginary version of Smash Bros!). The bosses won't be these silly things that we have no clue what they are but established villains in the greater order of Nintendo lore.

The final showdown will arrive with Master Hand, but after you defeat him halfway Crazy Hand will jump in. Once you kill them both they'll sacrifice themselves to resurrect Taboo since (SPOILER!) they were also under the control of some evil Subspace thingy.... You will face off against Taboo, fighting him, but after you defeat him you'll learn that he was merely the child of the birthmother (or something....) and she will descend. Tingle will jump to the rescue and she will kill him giving him a hero's death and forever eliminating him for the Zelda games (THIS WILL BE A REALITY, TINGLE MUST DIE!). You will fight against her as dimension collapses onto itself and everyone rushes out.

I totally just made that up as I went, actually.... >_>

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#39 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

It would be cool if they changed it to a RPG.sman3579

Actually... that would be really cool. :P

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts

Wow, even I'm not so sure of my idea anymore(the whole general new subspace idea)... It has been a year and opinions change. But there is that thing called Project Sora that Nintendo and Sora Ltd. are doing together so maybe some Smash talk will come out of that.

spacepirate555
What is up with the Zombie Threads today? And I think most people disagreed with you idea because the story never really mattered in the SSE so making a better one wouldn't have made it any less boring and tedious and lame. Super Smash Bros is a fighting game, not a platformer and and it just doesn't work as one.
spacepirate555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 spacepirate555

[QUOTE="spacepirate555"]

Arc2012

What is up with the Zombie Threads today? And I think most people disagreed with you idea because the story never really mattered in the SSE so making a better one wouldn't have made it any less boring and tedious and lame. Super Smash Bros is a fighting game, not a platformer and and it just doesn't work as one.

I see your point....

Hmmm.., well to decrease the lameness at least, all enemies but primids should be replaced by nintendo enemies and the bosses could be nintendo based too with the exception of the hands and taboo. For tediousness, some of the places where you would go through long, repetitive areas could be changed and of course, no great maze.

As for boring if you could actually expore real nintendo historically places, then it would probably seem more exciting and actually make someone towant tokeep playing and not want to stick their wiimote/controller in theireyes(once again, i'm looking at you great maze)

and btw, what's a zombie thread? i looked for it everywhere on the internet

HawkEye1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HawkEye1997
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
make the story better like one half of all the characters are fighting a civil war against the other half and we figure out master hand and crazy hand really are and if were not just talking about SSE and all of teh new game the dude(sorry forgot his name:))from asssasssin's creed should be there along with NAruto mastercheif and cloud
Noskillkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Noskillkill
Member since 2009 • 1116 Posts

i liked SSE at first, but when i was done i was kinda sad cuz the characters were way too easy to unlock. like in the old SSBs, there was no quick way to get the people. so it was always exciting to see the new character alert appear. i can remember the way my heart raced. and then its like a on chance epic battle. win or lose it all. that element died when SSE was brought in. you couldnt go like "OMGz i Unlocked Marth and Toon link and Wolf!" cuz u could just go and beat hte easy old SSEand get them.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

i liked SSE at first, but when i was done i was kinda sad cuz the characters were way too easy to unlock. like in the old SSBs, there was no quick way to get the people. so it was always exciting to see the new character alert appear. i can remember the way my heart raced. and then its like a on chance epic battle. win or lose it all. that element died when SSE was brought in. you couldnt go like "OMGz i Unlocked Marth and Toon link and Wolf!" cuz u could just go and beat hte easy old SSEand get them.

Noskillkill

Actually, the easy way is to set up a custom brawl with HP and flower. Your character can have any normal amount of HP and the CPU must have 1 HP. You will win each match instantly after one second. You just have to play 450 matches this way and you'll have unlocked every character. The whole process takes a couple of hours. It's not fun and it's a chore, but it's much faster than beating the Subspace thing. Then, you can unlock most stages by playing a certain amounts of brawls with certain characters and the last few stages are unlocked after winning certain event matches.