New IPs vs. Returning Classics?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Lately, it seems as though a lot of Wii owners are split on exactly what it is they want most (not that it surprises me any, but still... :P). This being said, many wonder what it is Nintendo should be working on these days. There are those who say Nintendo should stop relying on its tried-and-true franchises to carry its systems (despite that not being the case this gen, contrary to popular belief), and on the other hand, you have fans looking, no, begging Nintendo to bring back some of their established franchises for another run. So, this begs the question, which one do you want the most?

Personally speaking, I would love to see Nintendo continue its venture with new IPs. The company has seen its greatest success thus far in large part because of its newer properties, and I think all of the chips are in place for more series to be born and flourish. Specifically speaking, with Wii MotionPlus now in place for the Wii and Nintendo having so much success with the system thus far, I believe the company can take a pretty big move with creating either a genre-defining game or coming up with a new concept that breaks entirely new ground altogether. Perhaps this is already something the company is working on, though, as it has the Retro Studios game and Project Sora as two highly anticipated creations. It's also possible that one of Nintendo's in house studios is working on something major, or maybe even another third party collab, similar to Nintendo/Team Ninja, could be cooking up a new recipe. We just don't know. :P

Don't get me wrong here; I'm a big fan of Nintendo's second-tier franchises that many talk about here, as well, but honestly, I think this is one of those times that Nintendo can take a detour from its traditional path and really start to create new big names to carry the company for the next few gens. It would be something similar to Sega's run with the Dreamcast, except Nintendo has the system with the success to pull it off. Thinking about that gets me excited, and I hope Nintendo is working on something fresh and [hopefully] amazing for gamers to get hyped about.

Anyways, these are just my thoughts. I'm curious to see how others feel about this subject, so post and vote away. Thanks for reading.

Avatar image for deactivated-6224e9178325f
deactivated-6224e9178325f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 deactivated-6224e9178325f
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts

Nintendo needs new IPs for Wii, but they should really add F Zero and Star Fox to the Wii first :roll:

Avatar image for lex_in_the_moon
lex_in_the_moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 lex_in_the_moon
Member since 2007 • 770 Posts

Nintendo needs a new IP, they haven't really made one since Pikmin, (which needs a sequel soon, it's been 5 years since Pikmin 2) it seems like they're losing creativity. Sure Zelda's, Mario's and Metroid's are always fantastic but I want to see what else Nintendo and Shigeru Miyamato have.

bobbywinters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 bobbywinters
Member since 2009 • 55 Posts
Both are fine as long as it's a good game. Agreed they haven't really developed too many new characters recently.
Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

I know what a IP is but what does IP stand for?

metalisticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 metalisticpain
Member since 2005 • 3536 Posts

I know what a IP is but what does IP stand for?

Jelley0
Intellectual property. New Franchise. I think they need F Zero and Starfox, then yeah something new. nintendo of japan releases a lot of stuff, but it never makes it over here.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Madmangamer364

Nintendo needs a new IP, they haven't really made one since Pikmin, (which needs a sequel soon, it's been 5 years since Pikmin 2) it seems like they're losing creativity. Sure Zelda's, Mario's and Metroid's are always fantastic but I want to see what else Nintendo and Shigeru Miyamato have.

lex_in_the_moon

A common misconception. Nintendo has done nothing but create new IPs this gen. What do you suppose games like Wii Sports, Brain Age, and Professor Layton, to name a few, are? Those IPs certainly aren't ancient franchises, so they must be new, right? :P However, if you mean Nintendo should create a new IP that goes in line with the more traditional genres, you might have a point there. Once again, I'm all for it. :P

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="lex_in_the_moon"]

Madmangamer364

A common misconception. Nintendo has done nothing but create new IPs this gen. What do you suppose games like Wii Sports, Brain Age, and Professor Layton, to name a few, are? Those IPs certainly aren't ancient franchises, so they must be new, right? :P However, if you mean Nintendo should create a new IP that goes in line with the more traditional genres, you might have a point there. Once again, I'm all for it. :P

Disaster Day of Crisis, Monado: Beginning of the World, Line Attack Heroes, Dynamic Slash, Cosmic Walker, and Trace Memory/Hotel Dusk Room 215 (Cing said they take place in the same universe but they are different series)

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Madmangamer364

Disaster Day of Crisis, Monado: Beginning of the World, Line Attack Heroes, Dynamic Slash, Cosmic Walker, and Trace Memory/Hotel Dusk Room 215 (Cing said they take place in the same universe but they are different series)

Nintendo_Ownes7

Thanks... or touche... or whatever I should be saying here to acknowledge this post. :P

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

Madmangamer364

Thanks... or touche... or whatever I should be saying here to acknowledge this post. :P

Thanks is good I also forgot to mention Endless Ocean/Forever Blue. It is the second new IP on the Wii that got a sequal (The other being the Wii series; Because I include every game named Wii (Insert another name here) as one IP) I included both the North American and Japanese names for the series.

Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
Yeah, there's been a lot of new IPs this gen. It's funny how people forget them. The thing is, classic titles get bigger hype, especially for the more casual gamers. Everyone knows Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Punch Out, Kart, etc... so when new editions to those franchises come out, people notice. Also, shelf shoppers (people who don't read any news about games, they simply walk into walmart or some such place to find out what's new) also relate to classic titles. "Oh sweet! There's a New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii?" Where as games like Endless Ocean will only get a brief glance. Nintendo knows this. That's why classics stick around from generation to generation. They can try new IPs each gen, with the hopes that they will become popular new franchises, but it's unlikely new ventures will ever extend past their current gen. I want to say the last new IP that Nintendo made that actually lasted beyond the current gen it was released in was Super Smash Bros, but I might be forgetting something.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Fan128
Nintendo_Fan128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Nintendo_Fan128
Member since 2006 • 4270 Posts

I want to say the last new IP that Nintendo made that actually lasted beyond the current gen it was released in was Super Smash Bros, but I might be forgetting something.Michael-Smith
You're forgetting Animal Crossing and Pikmin. Chibi Robo also... Chibi Robo should be more popular, the GC game was awesome... if only it had sold better, they could've made a sequel for the Wii. Instead, they made a crappy spin-off and a good game that's more like the first one but was only released in Japan for the DS D:

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

I didn't vote. If a game's good, I don't care if it's new or old.

Avatar image for lex_in_the_moon
lex_in_the_moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 lex_in_the_moon
Member since 2007 • 770 Posts

Whoops, sorry for the screw up guys, I MEANT franchises. :oops:

GameOracle13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GameOracle13
Member since 2009 • 52 Posts
As long as the games are good and there's a nice mix I don't really care.
Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts

[QUOTE="Michael-Smith"]I want to say the last new IP that Nintendo made that actually lasted beyond the current gen it was released in was Super Smash Bros, but I might be forgetting something.Nintendo_Fan128

You're forgetting Animal Crossing and Pikmin. Chibi Robo also... Chibi Robo should be more popular, the GC game was awesome... if only it had sold better, they could've made a sequel for the Wii. Instead, they made a crappy spin-off and a good game that's more like the first one but was only released in Japan for the DS D:

Oh yeah, I did forget about those (I never got into any of them, myself). Pikmin barely passes the test, as the only things released after GC are the NPC ports. But we know Pikmin 3 is on the way, so it does look as if this is going to be a franchise Nintendo wants to keep around. And yeah, I don't know much of anything about Chibi Robo, but I do see they are making a NPC version of that for the Wii. Perhaps this means they are testing the waters of the Wii ocean to see if a new game would float?
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

Nintendo needs new IPs for Wii, but they should really add F Zero and Star Fox to the Wii first :roll:

-Russ93
Yeah way to straddle the fence there, some old IP's need to be brought up to todays standards like Punch Out did, however some need to be left to nostalgia because they couldn't make it in the current industry i.e. Ice Climber.
TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TaMuK711
Member since 2009 • 3367 Posts

I like new IPs, but not at the expense of possibly not getting a game from a series we havent seen for a while.

GameOracle13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GameOracle13
Member since 2009 • 52 Posts
Next Level say there's going to be a lto of change in the next Punch Out.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Madmangamer364

Next Level say there's going to be a lto of change in the next Punch Out.GameOracle13

What does that have to do with you or anyone else deciding if it's a new IP or a new installment in an old series that you want the most? :P

dixon3133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dixon3133
Member since 2003 • 201 Posts
I want both. I don't mind them releasing sequels as long as they change it up enough but would love them to release a new franchise thats in a class of its own.
sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts
i want returners to games like Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, and KId Icarus. I would also like a new smash bros, true pokemon game, and I would like pikmin 3 to come out ASAP
Avatar image for Nintendo_Fan128
Nintendo_Fan128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Nintendo_Fan128
Member since 2006 • 4270 Posts

Oh yeah, I did forget about those (I never got into any of them, myself). Pikmin barely passes the test, as the only things released after GC are the NPC ports. But we know Pikmin 3 is on the way, so it does look as if this is going to be a franchise Nintendo wants to keep around. And yeah, I don't know much of anything about Chibi Robo, but I do see they are making a NPC version of that for the Wii. Perhaps this means they are testing the waters of the Wii ocean to see if a new game would float?Michael-Smith

May I add the NPC Chibi Robo was only released in Japan :(

And this is somewhat ironic, because Chibi Robo for the GC sold more in America than in Japan. Dunno about European and Australian sales.

Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

I would love to see Kid Icarus, but who knows....

Other than that, I would like to see something new.

ScthenicAerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ScthenicAerie
Member since 2009 • 28 Posts
I'm always glad to have a new installment in a storied franchise, but a new IP is a good thing.
sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sman3579

[QUOTE="Michael-Smith"]Oh yeah, I did forget about those (I never got into any of them, myself). Pikmin barely passes the test, as the only things released after GC are the NPC ports. But we know Pikmin 3 is on the way, so it does look as if this is going to be a franchise Nintendo wants to keep around. And yeah, I don't know much of anything about Chibi Robo, but I do see they are making a NPC version of that for the Wii. Perhaps this means they are testing the waters of the Wii ocean to see if a new game would float?Nintendo_Fan128

May I add the NPC Chibi Robo was only released in Japan :(

And this is somewhat ironic, because Chibi Robo for the GC sold more in America than in Japan. Dunno about European and Australian sales.

the game was surprisingly fun ( which is nintendos specialty ), i wouldnt mind a sequel. I also wouldnt mind a new IP
sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sman3579
I wouldn't be surprised if they make new IPs with Wii in the title ( Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Wii Music, and Wii Sports Resort ) seeing how they make so much money. Wii Sports being the best selling game of all time and Wii Play is the best selling video game not counting games bundled with console . I also find it funny how Wii Music sold the least and it is the only one that doesnt come packed with something.
mkDSpro63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#28 mkDSpro63
Member since 2006 • 781 Posts

Returning classics? Yes please. I want my F-Zero for goodness sakes.