This topic is locked from further discussion.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#1 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Hey folks,

I'm looking at getting new DS. I played the heck out of my old DS lite, and I think it is time for a new portable. I am not interested in the 3D functionality, so I originally thought the 2DS would be perfect. However, with the new 3ds' upgrades, I'm torn.

Are the upgrades and new functionalities found in the new 3DS, worth the $70 increase as compared to the 2DS? I'm just looking for some input!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

They are worth it if you want to play the games that requires the extra power. The 3DS version of Xenoblade Chronicles is an example of a 3DS game not working on older 3DS models. If there aren't any games you want that are only playable on the new 3DS, I'd recommend getting the old 3DS or 2DS as the new features on New 3DS are pretty far from worth it. The little control nub thing is horrible and doesn't add shit, and the slightly faster OS doesn't matter much.

I think you'll be fine with a 2DS. I'd probably get a 3DS if I were you, though, as I like that you can close your system and shield your screens from scratches and make it fit better in bags and pockets.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

The one that is not a door-stop

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts

I hate 3d, Its the single most worst gimmick that the 21st century has kicked up. However, I own a 3ds xl and original black. They are the best handhelds ever made, quality build, great series of games, there is nothing I would change about them. So I'd go with a new 3ds and make sure its got a hinge. Easy.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#6 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

New 3ds because if you want to play resident evil its mpre easy

Jut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Jut
Member since 2015 • 250 Posts

New 3DS is worth it for the stable 3D alone.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Samslayer

Well I decided to get a New 3ds XL. Now I just need to pick up some games, I think I'm going to start out with Bravely Default, there are a couple used one's at my local video game shop for under $30. I might also pick up Resident Evil: Revelations if I can find it cheap.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#11 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

@Samslayer said:

Well I decided to get a New 3ds XL. Now I just need to pick up some games, I think I'm going to start out with Bravely Default, there are a couple used one's at my local video game shop for under $30. I might also pick up Resident Evil: Revelations if I can find it cheap.

Awesome dude! I wanted to post before you went out and bought it but, I didn't see the post on time. Anyway, I have both the New 3DSXL and the 2DS. You're not missing out on much with the 2DS. The 2DS is underpowered compared to it's big brother and the screens are obviously smaller. The 2DS however is much more comfortable to hold than the N3DSXL/3DS/3DSXL but, you can buy grip accessories for them on amazon or ebay. I have grips for all my Nintendo handhelds except for the 2DS and original Gameboy because they are already comfortable enough to hold without one. It is not glossy like its big brothers and I found the circle pad to have a little bit more resistance than the others which makes it the best circle pad on the 3DS consoles. Other than that, all of the other 3DS consoles do everything that the 2DS do and more.

Hope I erased all doubt if you were still lingering on the 2DS.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Samslayer

@-paranorman- Thanks! Yeah that's a great idea with the 3ds grips. I have big hands so I have always had issues with controls on the portable consoles. Thanks for the reassurance about the 2ds, I think it was the smart choice going with the New Nintendo 3ds.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Samslayer

I ended up getting both Bravely Default and Monster Hunter 4 both for under $30, so I was happy.