Netflix On The Wii Is Awful, Something Needs To Be Done

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I don't know what Netflix is doing with the Wii but holy cow is it bad.

I've been watching content for about an hour and a half of all kinds and they're all horribly compressed to the point of unwatchable for fast action scenes and there's tons of artifacts.

The Wii is the 4th device I've used the "watch instantly" service on and it's easily the worst and there's no reason for it.

I urge everyone to submit the quality rating after each video you watch and also Email them and complain about this shoddy service on the Wii. These is no excuse for this kind of quality anywhere. All content looks bad no matter what you watch. Know the way that bad cable service makes HD look because it doesn't give the channel enough bandwidth? Multiply that by 10 and you have this quality

Make sure you speak up to Netflix. They ask you after every single thing you watch and don't settle for the "the Wii only does 480p" excuse, this is not a result of that

EDIT: A picture is worth 1000 words? Well then these are at least 3000 because they're Godzilla!

Picture 1, super duper compression

Picture 2, compression AND artifacts

Picture 3, more compression

Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

First time hearing of this based off of other impressions. I'll see for myself tonight. My disc should've come by now.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Oh good, I guess fears that Netflix wouldn't be good on the Wii were unfounded... :P

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jaysonguy

Oh good, I guess fears that Netflix wouldn't be good on the Wii were unfounded... :P

GabuEx

Well the 480p is obvious, we knew it was going to have a ceiling

The compression and artifacts? There's no excuse for that this badly.

In Godzilla Final Wars when both Godzillas fight the screen just just a bunch of colored blocks

gugler990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 gugler990
Member since 2010 • 2009 Posts

sucks right when will netflix have watch instantly on High quality even the one on the device and consoles look bad and when will they have blu ray delivered to your home

daveyf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 daveyf03
Member since 2005 • 418 Posts

Maybe it's just you, it looks fine on mine.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jaysonguy

sucks right when will netflix have watch instantly on High quality even the one on the device and consoles look bad and when will they have blu ray delivered to your home

gugler990

Their HD content "elsewhere" isn't that bad

There's no artifacts and very little compression.

This on the other hand is the exact opposite

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

You thought Netflix on the Wii would be good?

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

i got my disc today. i havent tried it yet,

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
I use Netflix on my PS3, and it looks great, almost Blu-ray quality. I ordered and received a Wii Netflix just for the heck of it, but haven't come around to trying it out yet. That's bad to hear that it's terrible on the Wii.
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
how is the wifi signal into the room with the wii. If I watch it on my laptop in the room with my router it looks great. If I go down the hall to watch a flick in my bed.. then it's not so great but my airport card only has one bar. there are additional variables which need to be accounted for before you can shrug the whole thing off. I don't have my disk yet so I cannot say. The only issue with the wii is that it only has a small buffer to work with.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jaysonguy

You thought Netflix on the Wii would be good?

aransom

I expected it to be like standard def cable

It's much lower quality

dameon51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dameon51
Member since 2004 • 160 Posts

How is your bandwidth? Maybe it gets ugly when there's low bandwidth?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jaysonguy

How is your bandwidth? Maybe it gets ugly when there's low bandwidth?

dameon51

Super, I'm getting 15 down and 5 up

I mean I had all 4 devices taking turns checking out the same content and this is more then 480p on the Wii, the compressions is atrocious. Maybe it's something to do with the Wii's memory but there has to be another choice. If this was my first experience with the Netflix watch it now I'd think it was garbage. This is not doing Nintendo or Netflix any good right now.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 martinX3X

Wow are you guys kidding me? I've put mine in now, and it's AWESOME. The quality is crisp and clear, and load times are quick even for a full length movie. I actually thought it wouldn't be this good but I'm very impressed.

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

I just watch bluerays or dvds still guess I'm the most old fashioned 16 year old in the world

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
i have read from a lot of other people that netflix works good on the wii
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 teknic1200
i have read from a lot of other people that netflix works good on the wiielbert_b_23
this particular topic creator has a tendency to blow things out of proportion in a negative light to generate negative attention. I'm chalking it up at that. just because you get 15 Mb/s down does not mean that is what your router is able to send to your device.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 elbert_b_23
[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]i have read from a lot of other people that netflix works good on the wiiteknic1200
this particular topic creator has a tendency to blow things out of proportion in a negative light to generate negative attention. I'm chalking it up at that. just because you get 15 Mb/s down does not mean that is what your router is able to send to your device.

i know jasonguy is like that he is a troll that says he lives nintendo but i have read around 20 comments and a handon saying that netflix streams faster then on the ps3 and the video is of good quality, and then his one comment so i don't believe it
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#20 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts

I just placed the request for my disc, but if this isn't just an isolated case with you, Jason, then I'm disappointed. My house used to use my PS3 for Netflix while I used my 360 at school for Netflix and both of those worked excellently. My PS3 broke (it no longer registers any disc put in, be it video game, CD, DVD, Netflix disc, etc.) so my family is going to be relying on the Wii as their Netflix hookup. When i read your description of how the picture look, I couldn't stop thinking, "We're in the future! I can live stream VHS's."

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
I use Netflix on my PS3, and it looks great, almost Blu-ray quality. I ordered and received a Wii Netflix just for the heck of it, but haven't come around to trying it out yet. That's bad to hear that it's terrible on the Wii. paradigm68
lol trust me, if your interested I would recommend trying it yourself. Some people's testimony is not in the least bit reliable.
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

I've been watching content for about an hour and a half of all kinds and they're all horribly compressed to the point of unwatchable for fast action scenes and there's tons of artifacts.

The Wii is the 4th device I've used the "watch instantly" service on and it's easily the worst and there's no reason for it.

I urge everyone to submit the quality rating after each video you watch and also Email them and complain about this shoddy service on the Wii. These is no excuse for this kind of quality anywhere. All content looks bad no matter what you watch. Know the way that bad cable service makes HD look because it doesn't give the channel enough bandwidth? Multiply that by 10 and you have this quality

Make sure you speak up to Netflix. They ask you after every single thing you watch and don't settle for the "the Wii only does 480p" excuse, this is not a result of that

Jaysonguy

This comes as absolutely no surprise...

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

I have used netflix on both the 360 and PS3 and it works pretty awesomely on both those consoles.

My netflix disc will get here in a day or 2 so I can't judge it till then but I am gonna hold it up to the standards of the other platform when using it!

Hope it holds up well....

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
heeey what do you know... jayson doesnt like something on the wii that is EFFING FREE.
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 teknic1200
Don't worry kids, this thread is a joke and completely untrue. My disk arrived today and the quality is better then I expected. In fact my picture is great. If you have trouble netflix analyzed your connection and decided it is bad.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jaysonguy

Don't worry kids, this thread is a joke and completely untrue. My disk arrived today and the quality is better then I expected. In fact my picture is great. If you have trouble netflix analyzed your connection and decided it is bad.teknic1200

I'm glad you think it's good but that's because you haven't had better

I've run it on a 40 HD set and a 27 SD set and got the same result. Then I hooked up the other units and checked the quality

The Wii version is awful

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#27 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

nope your not the most old fashion maybe 16 yr old but at that age i was still watching vhses more then dvd,

now i watch on all 3 formats dvd being the prominant one cause more movies are available on it ,

vhs because certain movies just havent been translate or i havent found a dvd version of a movie i own on vhs plus their dirt cheap

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

heeey what do you know... jayson doesnt like something on the wii that isn't EA Sports Active or Petz: Monkey Madness. garrett_duffman

I improved your post.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Compression? yuck

godzilla final wars rocks btw

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#30 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
heeey what do you know... jayson doesnt like something on the wii that is EFFING FREE. garrett_duffman
Netflix is a monthly subscription. If your only access to Netflix is by playing them on the Wii then the consumer would want to get its money's worth. A problem? Consumers should complain about the service if it's busted...or just unsuscribe.
vengala31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 vengala31
Member since 2007 • 134 Posts

O.o! nintendo spies forums and is teaching Jason a lesson for being a troll !!!?? :P

Jamisonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jamisonia
Member since 2009 • 896 Posts

[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]heeey what do you know... jayson doesnt like something on the wii that is EFFING FREE. wiifan001
Netflix is a monthly subscription. If your only access to Netflix is by playing them on the Wii then the consumer would want to get its money's worth. A problem? Consumers should complain about the service if it's busted...or just unsuscribe.

Really the instant watch is an addition to your Netflix subscription service. Its sort of an extra, but streaming it to devices is definitely a freebie. So no room to complain really, Plus the quality from what I saw it excellent. I watched a episode of South Park, Mythbusters, and Plan 9 from Outer Space. I think that covers my bases.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wiifan001

[QUOTE="wiifan001"][QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]heeey what do you know... jayson doesnt like something on the wii that is EFFING FREE. Jamisonia

Really the instant watch is an addition to your Netflix subscription service. Its sort of an extra, but streaming it to devices is definitely a freebie. So no room to complain really, Plus the quality from what I saw it excellent. I watched a episode of South Park, Mythbusters, and Plan 9 from Outer Space. I think that covers my bases.

Well I'm not suscribed to Netflix nor will I be, and haven't seen Netflix in action on the Wii yet so I don't know its quality, but I know it's subpar to the preferred HD. If the Wii is currently the only available streaming for Netflix and one hates it then either get a new device to stream it on, preferably HD, or do what I mentioned above. I was just merely leaving the options out.
Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Tri-Enforcer

I just watched the last available episode of Spartacus season 1 (awesomes show by the way). The quality was just fine for a SD device such as the Wii. Keep in mind it also depends on the movie that you watch, some run at a higher quality than others. I wander what movies did JaysonGuy test so that I can see for myself. So far so good for the Wii. Of course I don't expect it to look better than the PS3/360 output.

Prior to getting the Wii disc. I had my laptop hooked up to my HD TV and the quality was better than the Wii's. But I guess that's to be expected as well. Since my laptop doesn't have a remote, I think I will get accustomed to using my Wii to watch Netflix since I don't have to get up to control the movie!

garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 garrett_duffman
[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]heeey what do you know... jayson doesnt like something on the wii that is EFFING FREE. wiifan001

while netflix IS a monthly subscription, the disc is FREE. watching movies does not cost you anything more than what you already pay for netflix. it doesnt count as one of the discs you have out, either.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wiifan001
[QUOTE="wiifan001"][QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]heeey what do you know... jayson doesnt like something on the wii that is EFFING FREE. garrett_duffman

while netflix IS a monthly subscription, the disc is FREE. watching movies does not cost you anything more than what you already pay for netflix. it doesnt count as one of the discs you have out, either.

Yes, I know the disc is free. I'm talking about those who eventually will sign up with the Netflix service in the future and their only streaming is through the Wii. There is no reason to watch movies on the Wii if there's already a way to watch them on HD. IF one thinks the quality really is so bad even that it's more problemtatic beyond just the limitations of 480p then I would reccomend using the Wii only temporary and getting some other way to stream the movies in HD. Cancelling the monthly subscription works too ($8.99 per month where I'm from). If you can't stream movies in HD and are happy with the quality and thinks it good enough, then enjoy :) But I personally would get me some kind of HD thing going on if I'm paying over $100 a year for this.
the-wii-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 the-wii-gamer
Member since 2009 • 101 Posts

Jaysonguy

360 is that way>>>>>.

But really, you seem to be the only person that has problems with Netflix on Wii. Maybe your Wii hates you :P

Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Tri-Enforcer

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

the-wii-gamer

360 is that way>>>>>.

But really, you seem to be the only person that has problems with Netflix on Wii. Maybe your Wii hates you :P

As much as he hates on the Wii, I couldn't blame his Wii for hating him...lol.

Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
Just watched an episode of Dresden Files on my Wii. Works great. WAY better than the PlayOn sevice. I'm sufficiently pleased with the netflix disc. I don't know why jason was expecting something more. Classic example of over expectations leading to disappointment.
martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 martinX3X

Jayson, i think theres something with your Wii, Disc, or TV. Maybe ask for a new disc? Mine works perfectly and it's great!

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 teknic1200

I'm glad you think it's good but that's because you haven't had better

I've run it on a 40 HD set and a 27 SD set and got the same result. Then I hooked up the other units and checked the quality

The Wii version is awful

Jaysonguy
How can you say I do not know better? It's sitting next to my blue-ray player, connected to the same set. I do know better. for movies i need in HD i'll wait for the disk in the mail. Not all content on netflix is HD content. There are no compression artifacts. When you connect to netflix it does a test. the way this works is you download a chunk of the movie and while you are watching it the next chunk is coming down the wire. when the piece you are watching is done it's tossed away and down comes the next piece. the size of the piece they send you is determined by your connection. the bigger the piece they can send in the time allotment, the better the quality.

it's not busted by anymeans. this thread is simply not true and used as an attempt to steer unknowing people away from what is actually a quality service for wii owners.
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 garrett_duffman
[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"][QUOTE="wiifan001"] Netflix is a monthly subscription. If your only access to Netflix is by playing them on the Wii then the consumer would want to get its money's worth. A problem? Consumers should complain about the service if it's busted...or just unsuscribe.wiifan001

Yes, I know the disc is free. I'm talking about those who eventually will sign up with the Netflix service in the future and their only streaming is through the Wii. There is no reason to watch movies on the Wii if there's already a way to watch them on HD. IF one thinks the quality really is so bad even that it's more problemtatic beyond just the limitations of 480p then I would reccomend using the Wii only temporary and getting some other way to stream the movies in HD. Cancelling the monthly subscription works too ($8.99 per month where I'm from). If you can't stream movies in HD and are happy with the quality and thinks it good enough, then enjoy :) But I personally would get me some kind of HD thing going on if I'm paying over $100 a year for this.

but if you are one of those people who eventually sign up for netflix, you'll be getting videos in the mail too... and you'd have to have a computer so you can sign up in the first place, and to get the wii disc, so they could stream from their computer. I don't really get where you are coming from... regardless of the quality, its yet another way for subscribers to watch netflix that doesnt cost any extra. netflix is already cheaper than renting movies (provided you rent at lease 3 a month, which isnt hard), and streaming movies makes it all the more valuable.
Jamisonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jamisonia
Member since 2009 • 896 Posts

Probably the biggest factor in Netflix quality streaming is internet connection. If you have a slow connection Netflix is going to be lower quality. I like the fact that the Wii is wireless. My networked blu ray player is not, and I don't have the router in my room because I live with roommates. But the thing is, if you have slow internet, its not going to matter whether you stream from your PS3, Xbox, Blu Ray Player or Wii, its all going to be the same. Maybe if you have quality issues with your Wii try using a wired connection

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jaysonguy

There are no compression artifacts. teknic1200

Godzilla says, hey can you see me behind all this compression and artifacts?

As I said before, I get 15 down and 5 up, I also use watch instantly on 3 other devices (4 if we count the PC and laptop separately) and I use the laptop and "other console" wirelessly and don't get this.

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 teknic1200
i get different results on my laptop depending on which side of my house I'm on. If I watch it near the router it looks great. If I watch it in my bedroom it looks bad, it's so bad the frame rate stutters. there are variables here, and your experience appears to be isolated. therefore you cannot blame netflix, and your rant is blown out of proportion.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

i watched two hours of the Office and it didn't look that bad, it looked 480p. and i'm running a 2-3Mb connection at the lowest

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

i get different results on my laptop depending on which side of my house I'm on. If I watch it near the router it looks great. If I watch it in my bedroom it looks bad, it's so bad the frame rate stutters. there are variables here, and your experience appears to be isolated. therefore you cannot blame netflix, and your rant is blown out of proportion. teknic1200

true. i've gotten pretty bad playback from my PS3 and 360 sometimes, i think there are alot of variables here we don't count

TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
Who would want to watch movies on the Wii anyhow? Its not even HD output or close to it.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 elbert_b_23
Who would want to watch movies on the Wii anyhow? Its not even HD output or close to it.TheLordMagnus
i do but thats because i don't have a hd t.v or a blueray player and i have been using the same 14 inch t.v for around 10 years