Need help getting Wii U to play Wii games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Maxvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Maxvla
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I'm about to throw this thing through a wall.

Nephew got a Wii U for Christmas to keep at his grandmother's (my mother). He has a Wii at home so we only have Wii games presently. I first spent hours trying to get the Wii U to play a Wii game that was said to be compatible. Then I find out I can't use the Wii U controller and I have to buy a different controller. I buy a Wii Classic Controller ($20), then try to plug it into the Wii U only to find that the plug is too large for any of the ports on the Wii U. That controller is supposed to plug into a Wiimote, which I don't have. I go back to Gamestop and tell them this, they tell me I need a Wii U Pro controller($50). I now have this, and everytime I try to enter the Wii Menu to play a Wii game, it keeps looping me through the controller syncing wizard. I sync the remote just fine, then it exits to the main menu. I've done every update already and have an active Nintendo ID on the console.

I still can't get any games to play. What do I need to do?

JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

I'm about to throw this thing through a wall.

Nephew got a Wii U for Christmas to keep at his grandmother's (my mother). He has a Wii at home so we only have Wii games presently. I first spent hours trying to get the Wii U to play a Wii game that was said to be compatible. Then I find out I can't use the Wii U controller and I have to buy a different controller. I buy a Wii Classic Controller ($20), then try to plug it into the Wii U only to find that the plug is too large for any of the ports on the Wii U. That controller is supposed to plug into a Wiimote, which I don't have. I go back to Gamestop and tell them this, they tell me I need a Wii U Pro controller($50). I now have this, and everytime I try to enter the Wii Menu to play a Wii game, it keeps looping me through the controller syncing wizard. I sync the remote just fine, then it exits to the main menu. I've done every update already and have an active Nintendo ID on the console.

I still can't get any games to play. What do I need to do?

Maxvla

Sorry but I seriously LOLd at this! All you had to do was take a Wiimote from the Wii he already has and sync it to the Wii U. Then you press the "Wii" icon and itll reboot the Wii U into Wii mode. You cant play Wii games with the Wii U controllers (gamepad or Pro) and you need a Wiimote to use something like a Classic Controller or Nunchuk.

Maxvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Maxvla
You must have not read the part about not having a Wiimote. The Wii U doesn't include one in the box. Does the Wiimote work with the Wii U? So I need a Wiimote and get the Wii Classic again, plug the Classic into the Wiimote and that will work? So much for being compatible. Have to jump through all these hoops... Thinking I should just return everything and get a regular Wii.
JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JuanGrande386

You must have not read the part about not having a Wiimote. The Wii U doesn't include one in the box. Does the Wiimote work with the Wii U? So I need a Wiimote and get the Wii Classic again, plug the Classic into the Wiimote and that will work? So much for being compatible. Have to jump through all these hoops... Thinking I should just return everything and get a regular Wii.Maxvla

Just get a Wiimote and Nunchuk controller, you dont even need a classic controller. It depends on what games you want to play. All Wii stuff works with the Wii U but not vice versa. You already have the Wii U which has the regular Wii basically built in and can play all the new games coming out, returning it and getting a regular Wii would be idiotic!

Maxvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Maxvla
So how do we get Wii games to play if we get a Wiimote and have a Wii U with a Wii U Pro controller? Returning the Wii U and getting a Wii instead would not be idiotic. It would simplify things greatly. I could just buy all non-U stuff and know everything would work natively without having to go through extra menus and extra controllers.
JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JuanGrande386

So how do we get Wii games to play if we get a Wiimote and have a Wii U with a Wii U Pro controller? Returning the Wii U and getting a Wii instead would not be idiotic. It would simplify things greatly. I could just buy all non-U stuff and know everything would work natively without having to go through extra menus and extra controllers.Maxvla

Turn on Wii U

Press red sync button

Turn on Wiimote

Press red sync button on the back of Wiimote

Make sure the sensor bar is plugged into the Wii U

They should sync and you should see the little cursor on your tv when you point the Wiimote at it.

Select "Wii" on the Gamepad and itll reboot into Wii mode. (if your using the Pro controller you need to press "X" to switch the screens then itll show "Wii" and the other icons on your tv)

You can then use the Wiimote to start your Wii game. If the Wii game uses a nunchuk controller (the little joystick for your lefthand) youll need one of those with the Wiimote.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

you need a wiimote to play most wii games...some wii games are not compatible with the wii classic controller.

the wii classic controller you bought plugs into the wiimote...its useless without the wiimote

the classic controller gets it's power from the wiimote...

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#8 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

So much for being compatible. Have to jump through all these hoops..

Having to own a controller to play games that use the controller really isn't jumping through hoops. The Wii U is compatible with Wii games and it can play Wii games, it was the same with the Wii being able to play Gamecube games.
Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

So how do we get Wii games to play if we get a Wiimote and have a Wii U with a Wii U Pro controller? Returning the Wii U and getting a Wii instead would not be idiotic. It would simplify things greatly. I could just buy all non-U stuff and know everything would work natively without having to go through extra menus and extra controllers.Maxvla

Yes it would, you would be returning your brand new product that will get at least 5 years of support for something that has essentially zero support left and will most likely be discontinued in a years time.

Look its not a complicated thing to play Wii games on your Wii U.

wiimote

This above is what you need. All you need to do is push the red sync button on the Wii U when you acquire one of these controllers and then the Wii U will show you a picture of where the red sync button on the Wii Mote controller is and then you can use it to enter the Wii Menu and play Wii games.

Also next time maybe you should read the instruction booklet that came with the system instead of going to the store and buying something you have no knowledge about and then coming to a game forum asking for help. Jeez its not fricking complicated.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#10 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Also next time maybe you should read the instruction booklet that came with the system instead of going to the store and buying something you have no knowledge about and then coming to a game forum asking for help. Jeez its not fricking complicated.

Or go to the forum or use a google search, as I'm sure the question has been asked before in interviews about the system, before buying more things you don't need, or before complaining about the system itself and getting upset enough that you want to throw it against the wall or return it because you didn't look anything up about it.

Returning the Wii U and getting a Wii instead would not be idiotic. It would simplify things greatly. I could just buy all non-U stuff and know everything would work natively without having to go through extra menus and extra controllers.

Wouldn't returning an opened and used new product give you much less money back? Especially when you apparently already bought and opened a brand new Wii Mote and Pro Controller?

Also, I thought you said that he already has a Wii why buy a second one if the other can just be moved? The obvious answer would be that your nephew is frquently moving between the two houses without going to one before the other making taking the Wii impossible, but that shouldn't be the case since he would also need to move the games themselves between homes. Owning two Wiis would also be annoying because without online profiles anything downloaded and saved games couldn't be shared between the two systems as far as I know.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

You must have not read the part about not having a Wiimote. The Wii U doesn't include one in the box. Does the Wiimote work with the Wii U? So I need a Wiimote and get the Wii Classic again, plug the Classic into the Wiimote and that will work? So much for being compatible. Have to jump through all these hoops... Thinking I should just return everything and get a regular Wii.Maxvla

With all due respect, the kid got a Wii U for Christmas; get him some Wii U games. You seem concerned about simplicity of use, nothing is more simplistic than purchasing games that were designed for use on the system. Otherwise, as others have said, you need a Wiimote (forty dollars new) and a nunchuck (twenty dollars new). For the same sixty dollars you could buy the kid a Wii U game.

Edit: As a side note, my folks live right down the street from me so I understand the importance of having stuff at the grandparents house for the kids to play with when they visit. With the Wii U being the new system I would seriously consider asking the grandparents if you could take the Wii U home and move the old Wii to their house so that the kid will have access to the modern tech as often as possible. Just a thought to consider.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I'm really surprised how people can have so much problems with the simplest things. Wasn't it kinda obvious that you need a WiiMote to play games that were build using a WiiMote? You'll need one sooner or later anyway since a lot of WiiU games require it, at least for some local MP games

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Do you also need help opening a jar of Peanut Butter?

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

Well it may be obvious to us but I can kind of understand his problem. You can use a 360 controller when playing Xbox games on a 360 or a PS3 controller to play PS2 or PS1 games on a PS3. The best advice of course is to never ask a gamestore person for advice. They are either dumb or trying to sell you something you don't need. Like one other person said you just need to get a Wii remote. Many Wii U games require it for multiplayer so it's a great thing to get and cheaper than a Pro controller. Just remember when the Wii U has to play a Wii game it goes into "Wii mode" and can only use games or accessories designed for the Wii.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
I feel bad for laughing at the stupidity of others but LOL.