Need a Wii? Come to Canada.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thomasbcperry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thomasbcperry
Member since 2007 • 142 Posts

I always wondered why people were complaining about a Wii shortage because I have never seen a shortage of Wii's around my area. Yesterday on the Bombcast (a podcast by Jeff Gerstmann and Ryan Davis) I came to realize why there were no Wii shortages in my area... because I live in Canada. The US dollar has plumeted so the US are buying fewer Wii's, which accounts for the shortage. Yes, economics affects everyone... even gamers as Jeff said... so if you live in the US and can't find a Wii come to Canada and get one if you live close to the border.

Innocent_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Innocent_J
Member since 2006 • 1821 Posts

Nope, i live in Canada too and i was amazingly lucky to get a wii.

Its always sold out here too

EnozmeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 EnozmeH
Member since 2004 • 1019 Posts
Shortages and present everywhere in North America. The US dollar plummeting??? Wii's are still selling out on every corner, wouldn't you expect people to decrease their purchases as well as the imports?!
thomasbcperry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thomasbcperry

Nope, i live in Canada too and i was amazingly lucky to get a wii.

Its always sold out here too

Innocent_J

Where do you live in Canada? I live on the east coast and at Christmas people were coming from Maine to get their Wii's. The day I bought my Wii I checked at Best Buy, Wal-Mart and EB Games for the best deal and they all had Wii's. I think Canada is more equipped then the States... maybe you had some bad luck.

Has anyone else in Canada have trouble finding a Wii?

Innocent_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Innocent_J

I live in Toronto, Ontario.

Nintendo_D00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nintendo_D00d
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts
I got my Wii in the US :)
thomasbcperry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thomasbcperry

The US dollar plummeting??? Wii's are still selling out on every corner, wouldn't you expect people to decrease their purchases as well as the imports?!EnozmeH

The US dollar is plumeting so that would make sense. Some people I'm sure have decreased their purchases. The US is in a recession currently. For the past three quarters plus the US' GDP has been in the decline and economic growth is hindered. Bush just passed a plan to give American's money hoping they spend it in order to stimulate the US economy.

thomasbcperry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thomasbcperry

I live in Toronto, Ontario.

Innocent_J

Go Raps!!!

Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts
No, I was lucky to find my Wii and I live in Canada. (Saskatchewan)
thomasbcperry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thomasbcperry
I guess the east coast gets all the Wii love.
Innocent_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Innocent_J

I guess the east coast gets all the Wii love.thomasbcperry

Yea i guess so then.

It took me forever to get a wii...

but i got one now :D

GO RAPS!!

rice_ranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rice_ranger
Member since 2004 • 467 Posts
Go Raps, too bad the leafs suck tho :p
thomasbcperry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thomasbcperry

[QUOTE="thomasbcperry"]I guess the east coast gets all the Wii love.Innocent_J

Yea i guess so then.

GO RAPS!!

I think it comes down to the difference in population. Same amount of Wii's shipped... except there are more people to buy them in Ontario then in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick for example. That makes sense.

thomasbcperry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thomasbcperry

Go Raps, too bad the leafs suck tho :price_ranger

I know. They actually had a strong finish though after it was all said and done. I think all the trade talk had the team down and out before the deadline because the Leaf's have really had a good second half once the trade deadline was behind them.

Innocent_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Innocent_J
[QUOTE="Innocent_J"]

[QUOTE="thomasbcperry"]I guess the east coast gets all the Wii love.thomasbcperry

Yea i guess so then.

GO RAPS!!

I think it comes down to the difference in population. Same amount of Wii's shipped... except there are more people to buy them in Ontario then in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick for example. That makes sense.

Yea that must be it!!

Population in toronto and the gta is much more than around your area. Sometimes i wish i lived down there lol.

Too many people here somestimes.

vnc20100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 vnc20100
Member since 2007 • 1685 Posts
I live in quebec and I often saw wii's on shelf, and that dates back from last summer. Sure the were some period where the shortage more important, but overall I saw Wiis on shelves frequently.
-Sphere-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 -Sphere-
Member since 2008 • 1063 Posts
I live in London, Ontario and there have been no Wii shortages here. I always thought people were exagerating the whole time because there are always 3 or more on the shelves here.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

Hmm...this seems to be just in your area.

I had to hunt down my Wii for months. I live in Vancouver, by the way.

thomasbcperry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thomasbcperry

bob_newman

I hear it's a really nice city. I'm hoping to make a trip out. I want to learn to snowboard before I visit the west. I've got some buddies living in Canmore.

I don't think the shortage is as big here as in the United States though.

Does anyone know for sure though that the States arn't importing as many Wii's because of the low dollar? I know Gerstmann thinks this is so but I wanted to get some input because Nintendo have said they simply can't meet the demand. Maybe it's a bit of both... some supply not being met in bigger markets by Nintendo and not enough purchasing for rural areas from the States side of things.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts
[QUOTE="bob_newman"]

thomasbcperry

I hear it's a really nice city. I'm hoping to make a trip out. I want to learn to snowboard before I visit the west. I've got some buddies living in Canmore.

Does anyone know for sure though that the States arn't importing as many Wii's because of the low dollar? I know Gerstmann thinks this is so but I wanted to get some input because Nintendo have said they simply can't meet the demand. Maybe it's a bit of both... some supply not being met in bigger markets by Nintendo and not enough purchasing for rural areas from the States side of things.

Yeah I listened to that podcast as well, and I have to say that he's right about the slipping dollar, but there was another interesting article I read about a week ago (sorry, I don't have the link. I have to run to class, so if you don't find it by the time I get back I'll look for it) stating that even though there is a slight depression, the video game industry will continue to thrive. Why? Well, as people's lives become progressively worse they need to find some kind of escape from all of it. Video games serve as a great way to escape, thus the notion that regardless of a lack of money, people will still dish out the money to experience something positive in their lives.

I know Jeff is referring to the fact that he thinks stores don't want to pick up any more Wiis because the price is going up internationally, but consumers are still buying them so can't see that as a problem. I mean, as long as they turn a profit, they should have no excuses to buy fewer Wiis.

thomasbcperry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thomasbcperry
[QUOTE="thomasbcperry"][QUOTE="bob_newman"]

bob_newman

Yeah I listened to that podcast as well, and I have to say that he's right about the slipping dollar, but there was another interesting article I read about a week ago (sorry, I don't have the link. I have to run to class, so if you don't find it by the time I get back I'll look for it) stating that even though there is a slight depression, the video game industry will continue to thrive. Why? Well, as people's lives become progressively worse they need to find some kind of escape from all of it. Video games serve as a great way to escape, thus the notion that regardless of a lack of money, people will still dish out the money to experience something positive in their lives.

I know Jeff is referring to the fact that he thinks stores don't want to pick up any more Wiis because the price is going up internationally, but consumers are still buying them so can't see that as a problem. I mean, as long as they turn a profit, they should have no excuses to buy fewer Wiis.

"Why? Well, as people's lives become progressively worse they need to find some kind of escape from all of it." For some reason this made me laugh.

The ending statement was good. It just doesn't make since to not meet the demand.

Innocent_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Innocent_J

Wow...i also looked everywhere in brampton, ontario

and still no wiis..

hmm this is weird lol

Hulkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Hulkness
Member since 2008 • 1271 Posts
Its the same in the US some people have them all over the place other people have to fight for one its just the way it is. I wish I could listen to the bombcast.
GamerBoy53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 GamerBoy53
Member since 2008 • 2666 Posts
I have never seen a Wii sitting for sale in a store in Canada, I just got my Wii for a present.
Lunar52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#25 Lunar52
Member since 2006 • 2538 Posts
I live in British Columbia (I live south west near north west Washington State) and It's almost impossible to find a Wii.
bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
I'm in Windsor and it's a challenge to find one.
pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 pjacobson21
Member since 2007 • 1093 Posts
I live in Regina and I have never seen a Wii just sitting on a shelf, just a lot of 360s and PS3s. The Wiis sell out with 10 minutes of stocking, always. I was able to get one because my friend who works at Superstore told me when he knew they were getting a shipment. I got up early and stood outside in -30 C Canadian weather for 20 minutes before Superstore opened. Thats the only way to get a Wii in Regina I know of.
thomasbcperry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thomasbcperry
It does seem to be a problem in North America not just the States. If any of you good folks need a Wii though let me know because we have plenty out here on the east coast. Cheers and thanks for all the input.