My Personal Gripes with Mario Kart 8 and Deluxe

#1 Edited by Cboy95 (158 posts) -

- Why is there no clock during races and is only seen in Time Trials?

- Why is half the roster just palette swaps of other characters? (i.e. Metal Mario, Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, Pink Gold Peach, baby characters)

- Why is Balloon Battle no longer last man standing?

- I don't like that red shells can now follow you in mid-air. (WTF?)

- I don't like the remade music for N64 Rainbow Road and Royal Raceway. I like the original compositions a lot better.

#2 Posted by Speeny (589 posts) -

@cboy95:

I’ll mainly be talking in regards to the online races but I personally love MK8/Deluxe. But I think my preferred game over all is Double Dash. Fans have been waiting years for some kind of sequel to that game.

One thing I don’t like about Mario Kart 8/Deluxe is that it’s not as strategic as the other games. Like, you’re not as free to create your own shortcuts unlike in other games.

Sure, there’s the ultra cuts in Big Blue & Dry Dry Dessert but as far as I’m aware that’s it. Everything else just feels like a one way race course.

I feel as if MK Wii was much more competitive too. If you’d get hit by a blue shell you’d be completely stuffed. But in MK8 it’s fairly easy to come back from it. I will say MK8/Deluxe has fantastic controls.

I know some people still struggle with 200cc but as soon as I learnt that you can break still while accelerating it became a piece of cake. Keeping your thumb on A while also pressing B at the same time.

Regardless, I have to play MK8 Deluxe again. I used to play it a lot. But I haven’t booted it up in nearly 2 months now. I hope you liked my response. :P

#3 Edited by KBFloYd (21042 posts) -

@cboy95 said:

- Why is there no clock during races and is only seen in Time Trials?

- Why is half the roster just palette swaps of other characters? (i.e. Metal Mario, Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, Pink Gold Peach, baby characters)

- Why is Balloon Battle no longer last man standing?

- I don't like the remade music for N64 Rainbow Road. I like the original composition a lot better.

-what the point of having a clock if you get red shelled 3 times and blue shelled once in the race. your time is going to be shit anyway!

- its mario kart and i guess they ran out of mario characters?

-agreed this sucks

- i prefer the remade one. the original is just a computer file. the new one is real instruments.

as for my thoughts? i quit the game already. 12 player racing is a cluster **** for me. i get hit 20 times a race. and when i luckily get in first i get blue shelled. battle mode is no better just a big cluster **** too. i am ready for the next mario kart honestly.

#4 Edited by bgres077 (12571 posts) -

Game is fun as heck, all your comments are minor things you get over pretty quickly.

1. Rubberbanding

2. Most people only play a handful of characters anyway

3. This one I don't like

4. Probably a balance tweak

5. Never noticed this before

#5 Posted by robert_sparkes (1735 posts) -

Bloody blue shell.

#6 Posted by Vaidream45 (1413 posts) -

I love the new Mario Kart and really all of them but I will always love MK64 the most. So much freedom in that game and tons of space and strategy. I would love for a true hd remake of MK64. Oh and the battle modes were second to none im 64. Not a huge fan of any battle modes since that release. The balloon battle in the multicolored block stage was endless hours of fun.