My 3DS impressions! (played at Best Buy)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XprimeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 XprimeX
Member since 2006 • 1148 Posts

Ok so I finally got my hands on a 3ds! I wanted to give a detailed run down of my experience with the system. I'll break this down into a few categories to help organize my thoughts :P

1) The hardware: 1st thing I noticed was that the system I was able to demo was Aqua blue, which was awesome because its the one I ordered and I really liked the way it looked EXCEPT it doesnt have a matte finish on the back which bugs me because I hate finger prints lol but I guess ill have to deal with it. The system felt great in my hands- mind you I have large hands so I prefer this design over the DSL wich is smaller in comparison. The buttons feel great as well as the D-pad, and I love the analog control- its very well built and is a welcomed addition compared to the psp's nub. The top screen is large and looks great, and the placement of the wifi switch, power button, and volume controls is nice.

2) The graphics: I remember back in the day when I would say "man if only there was a gameboy with gamecube graphics.." well sadly that hasnt happened yet, but luckily the 3ds surpasses it! man the graphics are great. I could only play Pilotwings but the game showcases the power of the 3ds well. Its not the greatest looking game ever, but if this is a launch title then Im excited for the systems future. The game renders well, the framerate never hiccups, in the daytime levels the sun shines brightly and beautifully on the top screen- it really is pleasing to the eye.

3) the 3d: This is the most interesting topic of them all. first off I will say that the 3d effect of the 3ds neither surpassed my expectations or failed to hit them- it was just different then I expected. I honestly dont know how to describe it and its hard to even remember it after playing. Kind of like a really cool dream that you vaguely remember when your talking to people about it. When I first looked into the screen, I realized that the 3d switch was all the way up- and after my eyes adjusted I realized that the effects were too much personally for my eyes. So I slid the switch to about halfway and the effects really popped- I found my sweet spot. The 3d effect on it raises depth perception in a way that allows the viewer to see past one plane, and see multiple planes of detail and animation. To really see if this made a difference I switched back and forth from 2d to 3d several times during missions in pilotwings and the difference is pretty awesome. Its the subtle improvement that 3d makes on your gameplay that really makes it special. Now you can truly measure how far you are from something, the distance between two objects is defined clearly and on top of this, tiny details like glints of sunlight, leaves flying in the wind, water splashing- these things pop up at you and its really great.

Overall my impression on the 3ds is a good one, I grinned the whole time while playing and since I was at a best buy in the middle of nowhere I didnt wait in a line and could spend about 20 minutes playing- I cant wait to get my hands on my own. Now that I know what Im getting myself into, I can safely say that handheld gaming is safe for the next 5-8 years, the system is a blast and its only up from here.

Sorry for the grammatical errors :P Im an english major too lol but much too excited to share this to proof-read :)

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts
i played it last week @ bestbuy. i'm surprise the 3d actually works, i just wish it was less restricted. i'll probably never use the 3d since all i really wanna do is play games, not so much the gimmicky features. hopefully, nintendo starts pumping out the games soon :)
Tasimb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Tasimb
Member since 2010 • 72 Posts

I was planning to go to Best Buy and play it early, then I was convinced to wait for the 27th.

I'm still really tempted to go up there and play it, but good things come to those who wait.

My excitment will just be that much higher when I get it, not having played it already.

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

TC, did you find that when you moved the system away from your line of sight, like maybe 1-2 inches left/right/up/down that the 3d effect went away? Thats the only problem I had with the 3d...other than that, looked great on max or medium.

illharmonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 illharmonics
Member since 2005 • 5470 Posts

I was planning to go to Best Buy and play it early, then I was convinced to wait for the 27th.

I'm still really tempted to go up there and play it, but good things come to those who wait.

My excitment will just be that much higher when I get it, not having played it already.

Tasimb
This is totally my perspective.
XprimeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XprimeX
Member since 2006 • 1148 Posts

Yeah your patience will definetly pay off, I kind of feel like a kid who peaked at a christmas gift lol but nonetheless playing it made me altogether more excited about owning it and using it for the games i want instead of just pilotwings. Also, I did find that when you move the screen away from your eyes, the 3d does wear off for awhile, making it necessary to readjust, i guess our eyes adjust faster than we think when we look away. It took a couple seconds to readjust.

Chrnocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chrnocide
Member since 2009 • 357 Posts
erm, when I pay $250 for something I woud like to test drive it, tyvm. I played with it today at Best Buy. The only game they have available is the Fly one, and it was so-so. The real magic is on the home screen, which on the Best Buy Kiosk's you can get to by turning the handheld off, holding select+home, and turning it back on. All the features/software are just too good to pass up. The starting game lineup is poor ( except for SSF4 ) so I'll probably stick w/ Pokemon Black for now, but nothing will stop me from picking this thing up at midnight come Saturday. Get hype.
Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts

TC, did you find that when you moved the system away from your line of sight, like maybe 1-2 inches left/right/up/down that the 3d effect went away? Thats the only problem I had with the 3d...other than that, looked great on max or medium.

SRTtoZ

to me, it did. i had a hard time trying to keep the handheld straight o my eyes for the 30minutes straight that i played it.

i can't imagine the 3d being on for 3 hours straight while playing something like zelda or mgs3, unless

you have a table handy to rest your arms on.

with that said, the whole 3d is just an icing on the cake. the main attraction that consumers should see

is more awesome games just like the ds :) w/ the exception of shovelwares >>

dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dsrules13
Member since 2010 • 1624 Posts

My impression of the 3D effect was exactly the same.