Muaymoto upgrading the Wii?!?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brock_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Brock_UK
Member since 2006 • 169 Posts

This fresh from Official Nintendo Magazine UK: 

Miyamoto: Enhancements to the Wii planned [03/04/2007 11:00] Wii appeals to hardcore gamers, says Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto has told a US magazine that Nintendo is planning enchancements to the Wii interface to make it more interesting for hardcore gamers.

Speaking to Gamepro Magazine about the appeal of Wii for hardcore games, Miyamoto said: "Well, right now I still look at the Wii's sensor bar and the pointing technology we've developed as something that I think is going to end up being very effective for the types of games that the hardcore gamers like to play. There are also other enhancements to the Wii interface and developments being planned that are going to really make games for hardcore players a lot more fun and interesting."

Unfortunately Miyamoto didn't reveal any details on the exact nature of these enhancements but we'll keep you updated right here

So,what you guys think?

Brock_uk.

Lanfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lanfeix
Member since 2006 • 459 Posts
welll we know several of these things are in the works. A headset possibly with motion sensors in it. A hard drive has been rumoured. updated develpment tools for fur shader, perdicitive movement program, text to voice program, etc, has been metioned @ GDC. I think he was mostly likey talking about these unless they have a ANNA up their sleaves
-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
I think that'd be very nice.
kamtong1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 kamtong1
Member since 2005 • 1851 Posts

Seriously?! Keep the wii as it is... wii for casuals ps3/360 for hardcore gamers. its working look the wii will soon overtake the 360 in sales

reyad-u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 reyad-u
Member since 2006 • 6960 Posts
interesting. as more and more new gamers get a wii they will start to have a idea of how things are done therefore doing something for the hardcore market might make them want to become a hardcore gamer?
KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 KingKoop
Member since 2005 • 4268 Posts

Seriously?! Keep the wii as it is... wii for casuals ps3/360 for hardcore gamers. its working look the wii will soon overtake the 360 in sales

kamtong1

To be honest? Keep the PS3/360 for casual gamers, the Wii could prove to be "Hardcore" more than it's counterparts. For example I play Tiger Woods on the Wii and this game is hard cos' it's like almost playing real golf, then play it on PS3/360 it's so much easier with a control pad cos' you can't go wrong really.

In the future I think, games that get developed and released on Wii will prove to be pretty difficult using the functions of the Wii and only the hardcore gamers will stick at it whereas everyone will go buy Sony/MS. You can kick back on the sofa/bed and play with a 360/PS3 whereas with a Wii-mote in your hand you gotta be active and bouncing about the room playing Wario Ware or swinging your arms about trying to drive 350 yards down the 9th at Pebble beach.

• Wii = Hardcore Gamers
  • PS3/360 = Casual Gamers.
wii60_lukatoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wii60_lukatoll
Member since 2007 • 1076 Posts

kamtong1
uhhhh how about not... i want some good hardcore stuff with the wii! you can't just think about Casual gamers you have to think about us to :D
creativeminded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 creativeminded
Member since 2005 • 1729 Posts
[QUOTE="kamtong1"]

KingKoop

To be honest? Keep the PS3/360 for casual gamers, the Wii could prove to be "Hardcore" more than it's counterparts. For example I play Tiger Woods on the Wii and this game is hard cos' it's like almost playing real golf, then play it on PS3/360 it's so much easier with a control pad cos' you can't go wrong really.

In the future I think, games that get developed and released on Wii will prove to be pretty difficult using the functions of the Wii and only the hardcore gamers will stick at it whereas everyone will go buy Sony/MS. You can kick back on the sofa/bed and play with a 360/PS3 whereas with a Wii-mote in your hand you gotta be active and bouncing about the room playing Wario Ware or swinging your arms about trying to drive 350 yards down the 9th at Pebble beach.

• Wii = Hardcore Gamers

Exactly right! I dont know why people keep thinking the Wii is for casual gamers and kids anyway. I am an adult and heaps of my friends (also adults got the Wii) cos of the gameplay possibilities. "Kids" want shiny graphics so they get playstation or Xbox but its ADULTS who care about depth and gameplay
meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts
The enhancements wouldn't be hardware related unless it's firmware updates to improve certain functions or unlock certain functions. The fur shading is a confirmed development tool. Most likely they are improvements for interface perhaps to expand the virtual memory by further compressing the vc game sizes down.
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts
I like my Wii as it is, but im not against a more hardcore Wii ^_^
big_mak123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 big_mak123
Member since 2006 • 268 Posts
I like my Wii as it is, but im not against a more hardcore Wii ^_^NWA_31
yet again im owned by ur sig
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
Nothing he says points to an upgraded Wii at all All he's talking about is maybe a peripheral or something along those lines. The Wii isn't going to change, the sooner people understand that the better.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
He's talking about software...
ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ozzsoad
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts
[QUOTE="kamtong1"]

KingKoop

• Wii = Hardcore Gamers

I like the way you think. It's true, I can see games getting harder to play on the Wii and more challenging than on the other consoles, just look at the new DDR game for the Wii. When it comes down to it, fans of that series will want to play the Wii version just because it's more of a challenge since your using both the Wii-mote and dance pad. I can see more games being like that.
renagadez187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 renagadez187
Member since 2005 • 2088 Posts
That would be awesome. The only one I can think of would be the graphical hardware (just to stop fanboys from whining).
Avatar image for distrbdslipsoad
distrbdslipsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 distrbdslipsoad
Member since 2004 • 17458 Posts

kamtong1

you know as well as anybody that the wii, along with any other console out there, cant ONLY appeal to casual gamers. sure, nintendo is expanding the market with innovative titles like wii sports. but when it comes down to it in the end, hardcore gamers are the ones that help sell systems. i think its great to hear miyamoto recognizing their overall audience and ultimately catering to hardcore players like ourselves.  

Dust24311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dust24311
Member since 2004 • 1215 Posts
That would be awesome. The only one I can think of would be the graphical hardware (just to stop fanboys from whining).renagadez187
Not an update to the hardware... an update to the interface. I'm sure some good FPS with a channel that tracks in game headshots, kills, and win ratio are more along the lines of what he's talking about.
renagadez187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 renagadez187
Member since 2005 • 2088 Posts

[QUOTE="renagadez187"]That would be awesome. The only one I can think of would be the graphical hardware (just to stop fanboys from whining).Dust24311
Not an update to the hardware... an update to the interface. I'm sure some good FPS with a channel that tracks in game headshots, kills, and win ratio are more along the lines of what he's talking about.

ohhh I see! That would be cool too.

BYAKUGAN!!

radnasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 radnasty
Member since 2004 • 340 Posts
360 and PS3 for the casual? Give me a break. I love the Wii and embrace a lean towards more "hardcore" type games, but calling the other two consoles for the casual gamer is just plain dumb. This is why people think us Nintendo fans are annoying. How is GRAW 2 for the "casual" gamer? How is Wii Sports not?  The casual gamer isn't going to play Oblivion for 80+ hours. Granted, they won't play Zelda for 60 hours either. Casual gamers get in, get out. I understand that your defintion of a casual gamer was someone who takes graphics over gameplay, but come on. You know you're talking crazy, don't you? Are you telling me that you don't want Wii games to look like 360 games? I do.
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11855 Posts
I think that'd be very nice.-CheeseEater-
I agree
LasPlagasHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#21 LasPlagasHope
Member since 2005 • 1356 Posts
Like if its going to be a hardware upgrade im going to be made i already bought the wii once lol
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#22 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
the n64 had a graphics chip upgrade, maybe the wii can have one too. No port for it though...
gesi1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 gesi1223
Member since 2004 • 2117 Posts

DO WANT

I just don't want a DS to DS Lite type thing, I really don't want to rebuy the system. I'm poor enough as it is, i can barely afford VC games. :P 

Staccat0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Staccat0
Member since 2006 • 566 Posts
360 and PS3 for the casual? Give me a break. I love the Wii and embrace a lean towards more "hardcore" type games, but calling the other two consoles for the casual gamer is just plain dumb. This is why people think us Nintendo fans are annoying. How is GRAW 2 for the "casual" gamer? How is Wii Sports not?  The casual gamer isn't going to play Oblivion for 80+ hours. Granted, they won't play Zelda for 60 hours either. Casual gamers get in, get out. I understand that your defintion of a casual gamer was someone who takes graphics over gameplay, but come on. You know you're talking crazy, don't you? Are you telling me that you don't want Wii games to look like 360 games? I do.radnasty
So do I but it will never happen. Your right however, saying that 360 and PS3 gamers only care about graphics ignores the fact that most current Wii games don't offer anything deeper whatsover. Its not all about blood and graphics, that not everyone's definition of "Hardcore." The consumers on those systems care about gaming just as much as Nintendo fans. Personally, I'm curious to know what the heck old Shiggy was talking about...
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Nintendo odnetniN

:P  hmm i think it will be along the lines of the Vaporizer2000 gun add-on for the wiimote, or making holophonics a standard on Wii games (headset), a tournaments channel. Perhaps not. Actually, it's impossible to know what they'll do. We always get surprised, for the better or the worse.

OceanLeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 OceanLeet
Member since 2007 • 938 Posts
[QUOTE="kamtong1"]

wii60_lukatoll

uhhhh how about not... i want some good hardcore stuff with the wii! you can't just think about Casual gamers you have to think about us to :D

i agree 

Morgario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Morgario
Member since 2005 • 2534 Posts
[QUOTE="KingKoop"][QUOTE="kamtong1"]

creativeminded

• Wii = Hardcore Gamers

Exactly right! I dont know why people keep thinking the Wii is for casual gamers and kids anyway. I am an adult and heaps of my friends (also adults got the Wii) cos of the gameplay possibilities. "Kids" want shiny graphics so they get playstation or Xbox but its ADULTS who care about depth and gameplay

I completely agree with both of you. Graphics have an important part to play in the overall quality of a game, but they have next to no bearing on how "hardcore" a game is IMO, the number one factor that affects how "hardcore" a game is, is gameplay. Which game would you say is more "hardcore"; Perfect Dark Zero because it has high quality textures? Or Red Steel because the accuracy of the Wiimote allows you to shoot the gun right out of your enemies hand? I know which I'd choose.

adolson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 adolson
Member since 2006 • 554 Posts
[QUOTE="kamtong1"]

KingKoop

To be honest? Keep the PS3/360 for casual gamers, the Wii could prove to be "Hardcore" more than it's counterparts. For example I play Tiger Woods on the Wii and this game is hard cos' it's like almost playing real golf, then play it on PS3/360 it's so much easier with a control pad cos' you can't go wrong really.

• Wii = Hardcore Gamers

My thoughts exactly. Awesome post, and awesome avatar!
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Wintry_Flutist
[QUOTE="creativeminded"][QUOTE="KingKoop"][QUOTE="kamtong1"]

Morgario

• Wii = Hardcore Gamers

I completely agree with both of you. Graphics have an important part to play in the overall quality of a game, but they have next to no bearing on how "hardcore" a game is IMO, the number one factor that affects how "hardcore" a game is, is gameplay. Which game would you say is more "hardcore"; Perfect Dark Zero because it has high quality textures? Or Red Steel because the accuracy of the Wiimote allows you to shoot the gun right out of your enemies hand? I know which I'd choose.

Man, you chose the worst example possible, many people will answer how crappy RS is, etc...

LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 LOLhahaDEAD
Member since 2006 • 4431 Posts
Hopefully it's in the form of firmware updates or whatever.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

kamtong1
Wii is not for casuals only. Zelda is certainly not a casual game, neither is Metroid Prime or SSBB.
solidsnakeEx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#32 solidsnakeEx3
Member since 2004 • 26413 Posts
Firmware upgrades hopefully.  He is working on at least one new channel.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Wintry_Flutist

Anyone who believes this means a new Wii is in the making is on crack.

tobenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tobenator
Member since 2005 • 3777 Posts
It doesn't mean upgrading the hardware though, which is a good thing for us Wii owners. But I do think they need to make a sensor car with rounded edges so that you can play from a little bit of an angle without the feed being messed up.
ranman1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 ranman1990
Member since 2006 • 295 Posts
so iguess hardcore gamers like to sit down on there @$$ and play golf while us "casual" gamers have to stand up and do the entire movement eh .... thats so layed back eh? pfft , the people that have a wii kno that its an active console people that buy a 360 and ps3 kno that they are gunna in for the graphics and thats it .
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Wintry_Flutist

It doesn't mean upgrading the hardware though, which is a good thing for us Wii owners. But I do think they need to make a sensor car with rounded edges so that you can play from a little bit of an angle without the feed being messed up.tobenator

Rounded edges would make no difference, and would actually be worse, as the sensor is just two infrared light sources.

ranman1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 ranman1990
Member since 2006 • 295 Posts
so iguess hardcore gamers like to sit down on there @$$ and play golf while us "casual" gamers have to stand up and do the entire movement eh .... thats so layed back eh? pfft , the people that have a wii kno that its an active console people that buy a 360 and ps3 kno that they are  goin in for the graphics and thats it .
Keenzach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Keenzach
Member since 2006 • 1210 Posts
Lol have u ever let someone with a 360 play the wii its so funny my freind achieved self ownage when he first played the wii so its a little more hardcore for them then it if for us that have a wii
kails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kails
Member since 2004 • 1249 Posts
Damnn this sounds awesome :D
gamershq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gamershq
Member since 2004 • 110 Posts
360 and PS3 for the casual? Give me a break. I love the Wii and embrace a lean towards more "hardcore" type games, but calling the other two consoles for the casual gamer is just plain dumb. This is why people think us Nintendo fans are annoying. How is GRAW 2 for the "casual" gamer? How is Wii Sports not? The casual gamer isn't going to play Oblivion for 80+ hours. Granted, they won't play Zelda for 60 hours either. Casual gamers get in, get out. I understand that your defintion of a casual gamer was someone who takes graphics over gameplay, but come on. You know you're talking crazy, don't you? Are you telling me that you don't want Wii games to look like 360 games? I do.radnasty
I think what he is referring to is that with the PS3/360 all you do is sit and play, thats it, by just pressing buttons. With the motion control on the Wii you have to get involved, not just sit. Games will require more finess, like Tiger Woods, to accomplish objectives. If the game is good enough, any person would play a game for a long period of time. You don't have to be a smelly, black hair kid (or adult) with a trench coat to sit down for long periods of time and appreciate the game. I would consider myself a hardcore gamer, because I love video games and have many of them. But I would also consider myself a casual gamer because I spread my game play out over a period of time. The games look fine how they are, but if the developers were to kick it up a notch then the games would look much better. Besides if Nintendo does what it says it wants to, appeal to more then us, then their next system could very well blow PS3(4) and XBOX720 out of the water.