Monster Hunter Tri U - General discussion! Its the game with the big weapons!!

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

1024.jpg?md=1359929213000

Release Dates :
North America - 19th March, 2013
Europe - 22nd March, 2013                                        
Australia - 23rd March, 2013

Box Art : 
1024.jpg?md=1359933337000

General Information : 

(Taken From Wikipedia)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate  is an expansion of the Wii title Monster Hunter 3 (Tri), released on the Nintendo 3DS alongside a Wii U version that supports 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p resolution graphical output. The game has been confirmed to arrive by Capcom's Dubindoh from Capcom-Unity. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is scheduled to be released in North America and Europe during March 2013.
th?id=H.4532853528266660&pid=15.1

• The 3DS version of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is known as Monster Hunter 3G in Japan.
  • The Wii U version is known as Monster Hunter 3G HD Version in Japan.
  • The underwater features that were not present in Monster Hunter Portable 3rd return in this game.
  • The 3DS and Wii U versions are able to connect and play together locally.Savegames can be shared between the two versions, but saves from different regions cannot be transfered to another country's release. 3G's save cannot be transfered to Ultimate, or vice-versa.
  • Online play is supported only on Wii U. This feature is not present on the 3DS version, which only has local multiplayer support.
  • Monster Hunter 3G on 3DS scored a 38/40 (10/10/9/9) from the reviewers at Famitsu.
  • The HD Version on Wii U got a 35/40 (9/9/8/9). 

th?id=H.5065244729673558&pid=15.1

• Another Shakalaka called Kayamba (Check above) is able to join hunts. At first, Kayamba is not at very good terms withCha-Cha though the two eventually become friends. Both can join the hunter in the single-player campaign, similarly to the Felyne comrades in Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. When heading into Tanjia Port, the multiplayer mode, both Shakalakas can be taken along if the player isn't playing wirelessly with a friend. When playing with another person, the hunters are allowed to bring either Cha-Cha or Kayamba, as long as the total amount of participants doesn't exceed 4.
  • A new feature called Target Camera allows hunters to center the camera on nearby large monsters instead of the direction they are currently facing by pressing the L Button. This feature is optional and can be toggled via the bottom screen. If the L button is pressed twice in succession, the camera shifts behind the hunter as normal. MH4 director Kaname Fujioka has revealed that the Target Camera system was implemented into 3U as an experiment and that a further modified version would be used in Monster Hunter 4.
  • The bottom touch-sensitive screen can be customized to access various kinds of info and menus. All information (health bar, map etc.) can be optionally displayed on this screen, freeing up space from the top screen. Items can also be easily used or combined this way.
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is the first game in the franchise to feature dynamic shadows (i.e., realistic shadows which are of the same shape as the character casting them). The game does temporarily switch to the previous round shadows when flying monsters are high up or moving to another area.
  • The Mountain Stream area from Monster Hunter Portable 3rd returns.
  • All 12 weapons types present in MHP3rd return in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
  • The Dual Sword, Gunlance, Hunting Horn, and Bow weapon classes can be used underwater for the first time.

th?id=H.4662913730544293&pid=15.1 

• Similarly to MHP3rd, Bowguns are split between Light and Heavy types, omitting the Medium type and unique customization present in Tri. The Bowguns' attributes can still be customized but the parts cannot be changed, much like with Bowgun kits in Monster Hunter Tri.
  • The city of Loc Lac from Monster Hunter Tri is replaced with Tanjia Port.
  • Supports local wireless multiplayer via multicard play and SpotPass but not single card Download Play.[4]Online multiplayer is not supported. Event Quests can be downloaded online and are accessible from Tanjia Port at any time once downloaded, like in the PSP games.
  • Village Quests now have High Rank equivalents. These quests include some of the subspecies from MHP3rd and Brachydios first appears here.
  • Several of the returning monsters' G-Level armors look different and they provide skill points towards different skills.
  • Features from Monster Hunter Tri that were not present in Monster Hunter Portable 3rd return to this game.
  • Free Hunt mode in the Deserted Island where resource points can be earned.
  • Before you begin Free Hunt, you can choose whether you want to hunt during the day or at night. The daytime setting is largely the same as in Tri but the nighttime version has High Rank monsters and materials.
  • In addition to the monsters encountered in Free Hunt mode in Monster Hunter Tri, different monsters can be encountered at night. Examples of new monsters and subspecies that were not previously found in the Deserted Island such as Barroth, Dosufurogi, Brachydios, Great Baggi and Black Diablos can be hunted for resource points this way.
    th?id=H.4555711394218134&pid=15.1 

• Moga Farm is the farm area of the game, and is identical in appearance to the version found in Monster Hunter Tri. However, some items that were previously unable to be cultivated, such as Thunderbugs, can now be left the task of the Felyne helpers.
  • The Torch item is again found in Supply Boxes and outside Moga Village in Free Hunt mode, though all the previously dark areas now have normal lighting like in Portable 3rd.
  • Dragonblight, a status ailment absent from Portable 3rd returns in this game.
  • Unlike Monster Hunter 3, Dragonblight now gets rid of your element instead of taking your affinity.
  • Unlike in Monster Hunter 3, in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate you start out with basic Leather Armor and one of every weapon type in your item box, similarly to how players started with Mafumofu Armor and basic weaponry in Monster Hunter Freedom 2 and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

th?id=H.4619998436262203&pid=15.1
Cross Play Via Wii-U and 3DS

th?id=H.4741975499670977&pid=15.1
How it looks on 3DS

th?id=H.4556037782176126&pid=15.1
How it looks on Wii-U 

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dobzilian

The Weapons

1024.jpg?md=1359932635000

The Monsters : Ultimate Edition (3DS & Wii-U)

5555235520121015221203088.jpg

Video Footage : 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TT-pZiFKEI - Zinogre Footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLvFFYS-e94 - Lagombi Footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqYa5Fvzw24 - rangurota footage (long Video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28YSKd6atlM - Presentation in HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgKgA8Ubjmc - 1080P footage

Pictures : 3DS

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Image

Pictures : Wii U

(This Topic will not be updated.  If want up to date information please go to the Wii / Wii-U Board.  Thanks... Dobzilian)

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I was never into MH series. Looks far too grind-heavy with bad controls.
dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dobzilian
Demo up and its 'AWESOME'
moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 moltenix
Member since 2008 • 2487 Posts

Just finished downloading the demo.

I can't wait to try it! ... like right now! :D

Edit:

Oh wow, i've really gotten rusty. I've forgotten like all the attack combinations and stuff. It just drops you right in; i'd hate to be a total newb trying to playing this for the first time. I beat Lagombi first try, although it was done quite inefficiently.

The game itself looks great and controls fine. I need to get used to that virtual d-pad though. It seems to work well but I keep pressing the pad like it's a physical one rather than sliding it in the desired direction. It'll take some getting used to but hopefully I get it down before the game releases.

I'm not even gonna attempt Plesioth until i've gotten better with the controls and refamiliarize myself with the game in general. :P

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dobzilian

Just finished downloading the demo.

I can't wait to try it! ... like right now! :D

Edit:

Oh wow, i've really gotten rusty. I've forgotten like all the attack combinations and stuff. It just drops you right in; i'd hate to be a total newb trying to playing this for the first time. I beat Lagombi first try, although it was done quite inefficiently.

The game itself looks great and controls fine. I need to get used to that virtual d-pad though. It seems to work well but I keep pressing the pad like it's a physical one rather than sliding it in the desired direction. It'll take some getting used to but hopefully I get it down before the game releases.

I'm not even gonna attempt Plesioth until i've gotten better with the controls and refamiliarize myself with the game in general. :P

moltenix
I was rusty and chose the gunlance which i could not get the hang of. got the Lagombi down to low and died due to rushing because it came up '5 minutes left' lol.
moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 moltenix

Just tried out the Dual Swords; not too shabby. I used to love using Hammers and Longswords in the original Tri. Could never get used to Greatswords kuz of their speed, Lances were a bit finnicky and I had trouble using them with certain monsters and Switchaxes were too complicated imo.

Virtual D-Pad still needs getting used to; too bad we can't customize the bottom screen in the demo, can we? Tapping L to center the screen does work well though.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Well that demo sucked. It didn't explain any of the controls. Why was there no lock on or health bar for the monster? I was just blindly hacking away with no objective idea of when he would die. The camera sucks and you constantly have to move it because of how fast the bunny monster is. I'm not sure why I cannot run when my sword is drawn...

I'm sort of really questioning if I want to put up with this for 50+ hours now if the demo is anything similar to the rest of the game.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dobzilian

Well that demo sucked. It didn't explain any of the controls. Why was there no lock on or health bar for the monster? I was just blindly hacking away with no objective idea of when he would die. The camera sucks and you constantly have to move it because of how fast the bunny monster is. I'm not sure why I cannot run when my sword is drawn...

I'm sort of really questioning if I want to put up with this for 50+ hours now if the demo is anything similar to the rest of the game.

Minishdriveby
There is a lock on button, its in the right bottom corner.... when a large monster is around you can click it and it will follow the monster every time you press 'L". Reason it doesnt tell you the health as you have to capture monsters occasionally and you can only do this when monsters are at low level of life which would spoil some of the strategy of capturing. Simple answer is you cannot run with large weapons out, if you want speed pick a sword / shield, dual swords or maybe the lance and shield. The camera worked fine for me and i had little trouble so maybe you need to get use to it. Its a couple hundred hours of gameplay.
Will47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Will47
Member since 2007 • 6824 Posts
I'm getting that demo as soon as I get home today. Can't wait till my classes are over :P
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

What is good about Monster Hunter? Dont look like I would like it. 

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 moltenix

Duh! Just realized that there's an instruction manual for the demo that's accessible before you start the game. :oops:

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dobzilian

slipknot0129
Hunting big monsters.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 slipknot0129

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

dobzilian

Hunting big monsters.

It would be funner for me to get a deer hunting game instead then. 

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Minishdriveby

I thought you played Portable 3rd? :? Or am I confusing you with someone else? :P

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

The demo is awesome. Makes me really want the game. Now I'm not sure if I should get it on 3DS or my not yet purchased Wii-U..

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts
I only have a 3DS, but loved the demo a lot... Just wish it had the online play the Wii U version is getting....
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]

ANIMEguy10034

I thought you played Portable 3rd? :? Or am I confusing you with someone else? :P

Nope never played the series before.
There is a lock on button, its in the right bottom corner.... when a large monster is around you can click it and it will follow the monster every time you press 'L". Reason it doesnt tell you the health as you have to capture monsters occasionally and you can only do this when monsters are at low level of life which would spoil some of the strategy of capturing. Simple answer is you cannot run with large weapons out, if you want speed pick a sword / shield, dual swords or maybe the lance and shield. The camera worked fine for me and i had little trouble so maybe you need to get use to it. Its a couple hundred hours of gameplay.dobzilian
Hmm... I guess I may have to try the demo again using the lock on feature. I was using a sword and shield and still could not run. I kept having to put it away. I just felt like commands were crowded on the buttons. A One button was run/shield/attack depending on whether you weapon was drawn or not. Another button was use an item/put away/draw your weapon. I still think the no health bar for enemies is dumb. I know their animations change when they have lower HP, but it still took forever to kill the damn thing even after his animations started to change, and it would be nice to know how much health the thing had left. I like the idea of killing giant monsters, I just think the game design could be better based off of the demo. Also will this support Circle Pad Pro? Because the camera was kind of annoying, and the demo doesn't support CPP.
thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Well that demo sucked. It didn't explain any of the controls. Why was there no lock on or health bar for the monster? I was just blindly hacking away with no objective idea of when he would die. The camera sucks and you constantly have to move it because of how fast the bunny monster is. I'm not sure why I cannot run when my sword is drawn...I'm sort of really questioning if I want to put up with this for 50+ hours now if the demo is anything similar to the rest of the game.Minishdriveby
You have to understand that this game represents hardcore gaming at its finest.It's not a steamlined approach where you are aware of everything,thats why you slash a monster without knowing when he's going to fall. Instead,it gives you a visual idea when it limps away from you. The game doesn't hold your hand, it expects you to study and monitor everything. It challenges you,makes you feel humble, makes you think in how to be organized and how to proceed. In short, the game has alot of depth and it's not entirely easy to understand until you spent enough time with it.In that respect, it's one of the most rewarding franchises I've ever played. It's just not for everyone.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dobzilian
[QUOTE="ANIMEguy10034"]

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"] I thought you played Portable 3rd? :? Or am I confusing you with someone else? :P

Minishdriveby
Nope never played the series before.
There is a lock on button, its in the right bottom corner.... when a large monster is around you can click it and it will follow the monster every time you press 'L". Reason it doesnt tell you the health as you have to capture monsters occasionally and you can only do this when monsters are at low level of life which would spoil some of the strategy of capturing. Simple answer is you cannot run with large weapons out, if you want speed pick a sword / shield, dual swords or maybe the lance and shield. The camera worked fine for me and i had little trouble so maybe you need to get use to it. Its a couple hundred hours of gameplay.dobzilian
Hmm... I guess I may have to try the demo again using the lock on feature. I was using a sword and shield and still could not run. I kept having to put it away. I just felt like commands were crowded on the buttons. A One button was run/shield/attack depending on whether you weapon was drawn or not. Another button was use an item/put away/draw your weapon. I still think the no health bar for enemies is dumb. I know their animations change when they have lower HP, but it still took forever to kill the damn thing even after his animations started to change, and it would be nice to know how much health the thing had left. I like the idea of killing giant monsters, I just think the game design could be better based off of the demo. Also will this support Circle Pad Pro? Because the camera was kind of annoying, and the demo doesn't support CPP.

Yes it supports the attachment. it says in the Demo right at the start on the 3DS. Try lance and shield. You can run right at the enemy which murders your stamina but it is quite fun as i like using it when theyre running away. It is stronger than S/S Combo, i mainly used that for status affects than as a pure damage weapon. I'll admit it is bit finicky to begin with but after a hour or so it does become easier. Sadly the enemies become much much harder...
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Minishdriveby
[QUOTE="dobzilian"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"][QUOTE="ANIMEguy10034"] Nope never played the series before.

Yes it supports the attachment. it says in the Demo right at the start on the 3DS. Try lance and shield. You can run right at the enemy which murders your stamina but it is quite fun as i like using it when theyre running away. It is stronger than S/S Combo, i mainly used that for status affects than as a pure damage weapon. I'll admit it is bit finicky to begin with but after a hour or so it does become easier. Sadly the enemies become much much harder...

The demo says "This software is not compatible with the Nintendo 3DS circle pad pro."
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"] The demo says "This software is not compatible with the Nintendo 3DS circle pad pro."

the demo isn't. the game is actually bundled with it :P you WILL have to keep putting away your weapons to sprint, but the advantage of the sword and shield is that if you press R to block with the weapon drawn, you can use items without putting it away. the lack of a health bar is what makes the hunt thrilling. on the demo, you're just trying to make it die, but when you have to capture, suddenly you need much bigger knowledge of not only your strength, but the enemy's strength. you KNOW things, rather than being told them. you can tell the difference between a weak monster, a tired monster and a starving monster. you know how to deal with them if they go in rage mode. you know when to strike and when to bail out. and you know you have a time limit do deal with it (though in the actual game you're given 50 minutes, not 20). each weapon has a different approach to combat. for example, the greatsword is much about hitting once, but hitting well, then moving out of the way, whereas the dual blades are about spotting an opening and hacking away as much as you can before the enemy has the time to react, to fill your special bar. only a handful of weapons actually have the option to block, and the greatsword actually wears out when blocking, since it has no shield of its own. the demo could've done a much better job explaining the controls, yes (although you can access the manual while in-game without closing the software, and they explain all the options each weapon has, as well as their special mechanic), and the game definitely needs some getting used to, but while it's not the hack and slash action game you might expect from a game about slaying things with giant weapons, the controls and the "weight" suit the gameplay rather well. the camera is also pretty bad on the 3DS, unless you use the lock-on, which while not a permanent lock-on for various reasons that actually make sense, it centers the camera on the monster every time you tap L, which makes following the rabbit around much easier.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
Never played a Monster Hunter Game Before. Tried the Demo and the first thing I had to do was a kill a Momma and it baby. I felt bad and turned it off.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Nuck81"]Never played a Monster Hunter Game Before. Tried the Demo and the first thing I had to do was a kill a Momma and it baby. I felt bad and turned it off.

just because it's there doesn't mean you have to kill it. unless you really need some tusks and raw meat.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Minishdriveby
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"] The demo says "This software is not compatible with the Nintendo 3DS circle pad pro."

the demo isn't. the game is actually bundled with it :P you WILL have to keep putting away your weapons to sprint, but the advantage of the sword and shield is that if you press R to block with the weapon drawn, you can use items without putting it away. the lack of a health bar is what makes the hunt thrilling. on the demo, you're just trying to make it die, but when you have to capture, suddenly you need much bigger knowledge of not only your strength, but the enemy's strength. you KNOW things, rather than being told them. you can tell the difference between a weak monster, a tired monster and a starving monster. you know how to deal with them if they go in rage mode. you know when to strike and when to bail out. and you know you have a time limit do deal with it (though in the actual game you're given 50 minutes, not 20). each weapon has a different approach to combat. for example, the greatsword is much about hitting once, but hitting well, then moving out of the way, whereas the dual blades are about spotting an opening and hacking away as much as you can before the enemy has the time to react, to fill your special bar. only a handful of weapons actually have the option to block, and the greatsword actually wears out when blocking, since it has no shield of its own. the demo could've done a much better job explaining the controls, yes (although you can access the manual while in-game without closing the software, and they explain all the options each weapon has, as well as their special mechanic), and the game definitely needs some getting used to, but while it's not the hack and slash action game you might expect from a game about slaying things with giant weapons, the controls and the "weight" suit the gameplay rather well. the camera is also pretty bad on the 3DS, unless you use the lock-on, which while not a permanent lock-on for various reasons that actually make sense, it centers the camera on the monster every time you tap L, which makes following the rabbit around much easier.

I wasn't expecting a hack and slash adventure, but I was expecting at least tight controls like the souls games. Monster Hunter just feels archaic and cumbersome - I'm not referring to weapon swings when I say this - to me and the commands are crowded over too few buttons on the DS. I'll look up the control scheme when the game releases for the 3DS to see if the CPP controls are better placed.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"] The demo says "This software is not compatible with the Nintendo 3DS circle pad pro."

I wasn't expecting a hack and slash adventure, but I was expecting at least tight controls like the souls games. Monster Hunter just feels archaic and cumbersome - I'm not referring to weapon swings when I say this - to me and the commands are crowded over too few buttons on the DS. I'll look up the control scheme when the game releases for the 3DS to see if the CPP controls are better placed.

i think it's the lack of buttons that makes it so crowded. to play dark souls, you have 12 buttons, one clickable analog, a pause button, and two movement analogs. the 3DS has half of that, and the Dpad is used for camera/aiming on ranged weapons (thankfully, because aiming with the digital Dpad would suck). is it the best option? no. but it only takes a few minutes to get used to it. the controls are the least of my worries. a few hunts in and i'm already used to it.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Minishdriveby
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] the demo isn't. the game is actually bundled with it :P you WILL have to keep putting away your weapons to sprint, but the advantage of the sword and shield is that if you press R to block with the weapon drawn, you can use items without putting it away. the lack of a health bar is what makes the hunt thrilling. on the demo, you're just trying to make it die, but when you have to capture, suddenly you need much bigger knowledge of not only your strength, but the enemy's strength. you KNOW things, rather than being told them. you can tell the difference between a weak monster, a tired monster and a starving monster. you know how to deal with them if they go in rage mode. you know when to strike and when to bail out. and you know you have a time limit do deal with it (though in the actual game you're given 50 minutes, not 20). each weapon has a different approach to combat. for example, the greatsword is much about hitting once, but hitting well, then moving out of the way, whereas the dual blades are about spotting an opening and hacking away as much as you can before the enemy has the time to react, to fill your special bar. only a handful of weapons actually have the option to block, and the greatsword actually wears out when blocking, since it has no shield of its own. the demo could've done a much better job explaining the controls, yes (although you can access the manual while in-game without closing the software, and they explain all the options each weapon has, as well as their special mechanic), and the game definitely needs some getting used to, but while it's not the hack and slash action game you might expect from a game about slaying things with giant weapons, the controls and the "weight" suit the gameplay rather well. the camera is also pretty bad on the 3DS, unless you use the lock-on, which while not a permanent lock-on for various reasons that actually make sense, it centers the camera on the monster every time you tap L, which makes following the rabbit around much easier.

i think it's the lack of buttons that makes it so crowded. to play dark souls, you have 12 buttons, one clickable analog, a pause button, and two movement analogs. the 3DS has half of that, and the Dpad is used for camera/aiming on ranged weapons (thankfully, because aiming with the digital Dpad would suck). is it the best option? no. but it only takes a few minutes to get used to it. the controls are the least of my worries. a few hunts in and i'm already used to it.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean by commands are crowded over too few buttons. Hopefully this doesn't plague the CPP scheme.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 slipknot0129

I played the demo. I'll look at cabelas deer hunter for my hardcore beast hunting fix. 

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 moltenix

I wish we could customize the touchscreen layout on the demo. The virtual D-Pad would be more comfortable to reach if it was moved more to right and bit a lower as well. Thankfully, it'll be available in the full version; the extra touchscreen buttons are a nice addition overall though.

TIGERLIONX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TIGERLIONX
Member since 2004 • 914 Posts
hello fellows monster hunter fans this would be my first monster hunter game, just the combination of big monsters and big weapons with cool looking gears it kills me i understand why the controls are like that and like the challenge so my questions is. i saw the fight the monster part of the game, besides that there are options like leveling, character progressing, weapon or armor customizing, side quest or stuff like that. thanks everyone and i cant wait fir the one of the best month for the 3ds
moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 moltenix

hello fellows monster hunter fans this would be my first monster hunter game, just the combination of big monsters and big weapons with cool looking gears it kills me i understand why the controls are like that and like the challenge so my questions is. i saw the fight the monster part of the game, besides that there are options like leveling, character progressing, weapon or armor customizing, side quest or stuff like that. thanks everyone and i cant wait fir the one of the best month for the 3dsTIGERLIONX

There actually isn't any leveling up or character progression in Monster Hunter. The only things that really progress is your weapon and armor as well as your own personal skill when in comes to killing the monsters.

If you couldn't already tell from the demo, fighting the monsters requires a lot more than just running up and mashing the attack buttons whenever. Its all about getting to know the movements of each monster, figuring out their attack patterns and striking when you've got the right opportunity while avoid their attacks.

It might not have been obvious from the demo but you're able to carve parts from the monsters that you defeat. You can use the parts among other resources that need to be acquired to craft new weapons and armor sets. Obviously, stronger monsters gives better defence capabilities and each set of armor has its own sets of skills (like an Attack bonus, or slower drain on Stamina or Resistance to Heat/Cold, you get the idea).

There's a ton of monsters, quests and armor/weapons available. It can be quite a time sink if you get into it.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="TIGERLIONX"]hello fellows monster hunter fans this would be my first monster hunter game, just the combination of big monsters and big weapons with cool looking gears it kills me i understand why the controls are like that and like the challenge so my questions is. i saw the fight the monster part of the game, besides that there are options like leveling, character progressing, weapon or armor customizing, side quest or stuff like that. thanks everyone and i cant wait fir the one of the best month for the 3ds

basically, the game works on a cycle of kill monster -> carve spoils -> forge better gear -> repeat. that's how you "level up" in the game. gear gets progressively stronger as you advance, and monsters get progressively tougher. there is A LOT of customization options for armor and weapons that the demo doesn't show. each armor has certain skill points, and achieving X amount of points in a certain skill "unlocks" it for as long as you have the needed points. they range from faster sharpening to resistance to roars to a bunch of other stuff. armor and weapons also have elements that make them more suited for specific monsters. there aren't exactly "main quests" to have sidequests, there are plenty of quests you pick from a list, and after you've done a bunch of them, you do a special quest that unlocks the next tier. that said, each mission usually has up to two side missions you can complete for extra rewards, like cutting off the monster's tail or breaking its wings, or obtaining a bunch of a certain resource.
TIGERLIONX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TIGERLIONX
Member since 2004 • 914 Posts

moltenix and brunoBRS thank you very much, you guys just increased my desire to play this game, cant wait =)

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#34 benleslie5
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

Played the demo and got it on pre-order :D

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#36 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

The underwater controls in Tri were pretty bad, but were workable. The ones on the 3DS for Ultimate are nearly completely unusable. They're terrible. They could work out with a circlepad pro but the game isnt comaptible with it? What the hell? 

The rest of the game is great, but holy crap do those controls suck. Same for the bow. I havent tried the other long-range weapons let but I couldn'ty stand the damn bow,

Besides my complainants, the rest of the game seems like it'll be a blast from what I played in the demo.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BrunoBRS

The underwater controls in Tri were pretty bad, but were workable. The ones on the 3DS for Ultimate are nearly completely unusable. They're terrible. They could work out with a circlepad pro but the game isnt comaptible with it? What the hell? 

The rest of the game is great, but holy crap do those controls suck. Same for the bow. I havent tried the other long-range weapons let but I couldn'ty stand the damn bow,

Besides my complainants, the rest of the game seems like it'll be a blast from what I played in the demo.

Yoweeh
the lock-on helps a lot, after that it's a matter of minutes until you're used to it. bow is kinda annoying to get used to, but after a while i was having fun with it. as for the circle pad pro thing, i think it's just the demo that isn't compatible, since it's the same demo they released in japan before the CPP was a thing, but the game itself came bundled with one. not sure if the bundles will be available here as well, but i assume so.
gettingpatches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gettingpatches
Member since 2011 • 218 Posts

Played the demo (3DS) and it actually was quite a bit better than I expected. I mean it actually looks qutie good and runs smooth as well something which I kinda expected but its nice to see. The controls took a bit of getting used to but they do function, vut I could see myself getting a lot more fun out of this game using the CPP. Playing it again though really made me want to pick up Tri, as I actually found it quite fun fighting the giant rabbit. Gonna have to tri it with the lance next, that was the weapon I used most when playing it on the wii.

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts

Tried the demo and didnt get into it. This was the first time I have played a MH game. Im not done with it though, I will give it a few more chances. Maybe I will still get the full game, because there must be something to all this MH craziness. Half the world freakin loves MH. Problem is for me that Etrian Odyssey IV comes out tomorrow and I absolutely loved the demo (Put over 10 hours into the demo!). Etrian is gonna eat up 100 - 200 hours of gametime.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BrunoBRS

Tried the demo and didnt get into it. This was the first time I have played a MH game. Im not done with it though, I will give it a few more chances. Maybe I will still get the full game, because there must be something to all this MH craziness. Half the world freakin loves MH. Problem is for me that Etrian Odyssey IV comes out tomorrow and I absolutely loved the demo (Put over 10 hours into the demo!). Etrian is gonna eat up 100 - 200 hours of gametime.

LJChronx
the demo isn't really suited for newcomers. sure, in raw terms that's pretty much you you'll play the game, but all the rewards (especially the sense that you EARNED those rewards as you carve them from the monster you just killed), the secondary objectives, the finding new monsters and crafting new armor/weapons, and the amazing experience of playing with friends, those are all absent from the demo. the moment-to-moment gameplay that makes hunting the same monster multiple times is not something that translates particularly well to demos, and while you could still see the monster patterns and behaviors and work on that, a lot of the hunting feels left out (you don't have to track down/lure the monster, for example).
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

The game's now on my watch list, it definitely has the potential to get me hooked and I bet it's going to be more pleasant to play on the XL.

Played the demo (3DS) and it actually was quite a bit better than I expected. I mean it actually looks quite good and runs smooth as well something which I kinda expected but its nice to see.

gettingpatches

Yeah the game runs surprisingly well, makes it such a treat to play.

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts

Well I played the demo some more last night. It definately got a little better. I tried a few different weapons out and it was kind of fun. I like the idea that you can pillage the dead bodies of the monsters for items that can be used to build different weapons, but I wish I could play around with that in the demo. Also, I wish they didnt give you a 20 minute time limit in the demo (I know its 50 min in the full game) because by the time Im finally getting used to controls of that particular character the damn time runs out and I have to start again. Annoying for someone new like me. However, I am starting to see the potential of the game.

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 moltenix

I can't believe this is coming out next week! :D

I can't wait till my copy arrives! I wonder how i'm gonna juggle between this and Fire Emblem though... and Luigi's Mansion in two weeks! :o

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

I realise that the multiplayer aspect of MH is one of its most powerful attractions, but is it worth getting if you only intend to hunt solo? Ultimate seems like a good way to get into the series but I'm just wondering if it is worth it on your own.

In any event, I'm going to have to up my game if I intend to see what MH is all about. Several times I've tried now to kill the mark in the 'Easy' part of the demo (the snow beast) and the sucker just won't die. I've tried using a sword and shield, greatsword and longsword but the thing seems capable of soaking up whatever I dish out and then crushing me.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BrunoBRS

I can't wait till my copy arrives! I wonder how i'm gonna juggle between this and Fire Emblem though... and Luigi's Mansion in two weeks! :o

moltenix
i wonder how i'm gonna juggle between MH, FE, paper mario, kid icarus, link's awakening, VLR (which i haven't even started D: ) and guild wars 2.
dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dobzilian
[QUOTE="moltenix"]

BrunoBRS
i wonder how i'm gonna juggle between MH, FE, paper mario, kid icarus, link's awakening, VLR (which i haven't even started D: ) and guild wars 2.

Sounds like a good thing.
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Epak_

Just ordered the bundle, couldn't wait any longer. It's the only way to get a black XL right now, since I was going to get MH3 anyway I decided to go for it.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="moltenix"]

dobzilian

Sounds like a good thing.

i hope i can at least beat one of them so i can have one less game in the list :P
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

The IGN review is up.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Epak_

The IGN review is up.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

ANIMEguy10034

Hmm... I wonder if Gamespot is going to flop this. Good thorough review nonetheless.

Edit: OMG my order is on it's way!