Monster Hunter Tri Review

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

8.0 out of 10

I was thinking a 6 or 7 something. Wow.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
also, did anyone notice the only control issue he points is the weird cataloguing thing? no "this game needs lock-on" :o
Avatar image for TwilightSoilder
TwilightSoilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TwilightSoilder
Member since 2007 • 1831 Posts
Darn, you beat me to it. :P Anyways, this is shocking. This is now the highest scoring MH on GS.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

A very good review. His complaints don't seem big enough to warrant a 2 point reduction but it is easily on of the best MH reviews I have seen so far. That is saying a lot since it is coming from GS.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
When I first played the demo, I could see why people were saying there should be lock on. But after playing the game and going through so far all the different mannerisms of the monsters, the who ecosystem thing. A lock on when your in a battle royal, which alot of these hunts turn into, would be the express to death. I had this one spot where in area 5, where I fought a Qurupeco which called a Great Jaggi and a Rathian, so I'm here in utter chaos surrounded by a bunch of monsters, there's no way a lock on would have benefited there. You know how lock on gives you that strafing movement? No way I could fight like that. It would be fine if every fight was 1-1 but since most fights have you surrounded, I don't see how a lock would help.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
I can't believe they scored it below Little King's Story. MH3 is so much better.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
I can't believe they scored it below Little King's Story. MH3 is so much better.psychobrew
They're not even comparable.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I was guessing 7.5 from Kevin mainly because of the boring visuals, but he thinks they're TERRIFIC and beautiful. Seems out of character.... He usually loves stuff with more artistic flare, and MH is simply going for the realistic look, which doesn't work too well on the Wii..... The graphics are fine, but they're a bit muddy and bland, not very imaginative. They could be much worse, but there's nothing that special about them.... At least not yet. I've only been to two areas, so we'll see.

But he points to the animations as the high point, which is true.

Overall, seems like a pretty accurate review. The one thing he doesn't mention, though, is how utterly LONG everything takes, not just the animations.... Trying to get a simple item from the environment usually takes as long as possible. You can know exactly what to kill and where to find it, but it'll still take a really long time to actually get the items you want out of it. This is standard fare for this type of game, but it's still worth mentioning I think.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

The one thing he doesn't mention, though, is how utterly LONG everything takes, not just the animations.... Trying to get a simple item from the environment usually takes as long as possible. You can know exactly what to kill and where to find it, but it'll still take a really long time to actually get the items you want out of it. This is standard fare for this type of game, but it's still worth mentioning I think.

JordanElek
I'm pretty sure that by "animations" he meant the animation for getting stuff out of an animal or object lol Oh and by the way, if you're playing with two or more people, just have the other person kick you while you're getting the stuff and it'll skip the animation, allowing you to gather much quicker.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"][QUOTE="JordanElek"]

The one thing he doesn't mention, though, is how utterly LONG everything takes, not just the animations.... Trying to get a simple item from the environment usually takes as long as possible. You can know exactly what to kill and where to find it, but it'll still take a really long time to actually get the items you want out of it. This is standard fare for this type of game, but it's still worth mentioning I think.

I'm pretty sure that by "animations" he meant the animation for getting stuff out of an animal or object lol Oh and by the way, if you're playing with two or more people, just have the other person kick you while you're getting the stuff and it'll skip the animation, allowing you to gather much quicker.

No doubt you figured that out on your own with onry intentions....
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#11 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I can't believe they scored it below Little King's Story. MH3 is so much better.psychobrew

I haven't played MH3 yet, but LKS deserved a 9.5 in my book.

The score is slightly worse than I expected, but I can't wait to get the game anyway.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#12 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
That's a shocker. MH games always scored terribly here, so I was thinking this would be an AE for sure.
Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

Very strange review. When you read through it, you'd swear this game would get at least a 90 at the end of the article--an overly positive review at that.

MH3 deserves higher. It's the most fully featured Wii gane thus far. Thank goodness GS is not the end all be all for reviews. Hey it's ok to give a Wii game that tries hard a 9! It's like they don't want to show too often that the Wii has some GREAT games--especially those that attempt to set the bar. 'Ok it's a good game, but we still have it out for Nintendo, so lets not mark it too high.' It's like, 'So you call yourself trying to do something great? We'll see about that!'

I mean the content of the review doesn't match the score at all. He pointed out some negatives, but 20% more possible points were taken off for 'minor' issues--problems that no one else has griped about--problems that don't even annoy people who've played the game.

That's ok though. The masses have spoken. MH3 was the number one selling game last week. It's also the first 3rd party Wii game (in I don't know how long) to be the #1 software seller in a given week. Metacritic and Gamerankings have it at about 8.4. Also, according to Metacritic, this game has more review scores in the 90s (14) than in the 80s (11).Also the average USER reviews, on popular sites (including this one), have MH3 at over 90%.

Avatar image for Funky_Kong_Owns
Funky_Kong_Owns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Funky_Kong_Owns
Member since 2010 • 32 Posts
^^ This
greenarcher02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 greenarcher02
Member since 2009 • 988 Posts

He meant the animations for drinking potions, eating well-done steak, etc. Your character always flexes when using consumables, that's why you don't heal when near an aggro monster.

Overall, acceptable score. At least it's higher than the previous ones. MHFU was also a blast and look at the score. For the synchronization of minions online, I guess it's not really an "issue", I think it was made that way (it was the same in MHFU). I'm not sure why they make it that way. Server stress maybe?

Funky_Kong_Owns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Funky_Kong_Owns
I think its worth point out to those who dont understand the 'long animation' issue that these were done intentionally in order to add strategy. For example it would stop people spamming potions in a battle as the long animation would allow the monster to attack you, thus defeating the point of using the potion. You would have to get enough distance between you and the monstor or use the environment to your advantage such as hiding behind tree's etc. The same can be said for sharpening weapons. This also happens when attacking with some of the heavier stronger weapons so it does not make the game to easy. There are more examples, although i can't think of any others right now
greenarcher02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 greenarcher02

^--Evading. There's this "invulnerable time" during evading, and you have to exploit it (it's millisec forgot the exact value, but this can be increased). That's why you can't really spam it either. Although you can roll multiple times, there's also a millisec delay between each.

Reloading for Bowguns and Switch Axe phials.

So same with synchronization stuff, it's not really an "issue".

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JordanElek

I think its worth point out to those who dont understand the 'long animation' issue that these were done intentionally in order to add strategy. For example it would stop people spamming potions in a battle as the long animation would allow the monster to attack you, thus defeating the point of using the potion. You would have to get enough distance between you and the monstor or use the environment to your advantage such as hiding behind tree's etc. The same can be said for sharpening weapons. This also happens when attacking with some of the heavier stronger weapons so it does not make the game to easy. There are more examples, although i can't think of any others right now Funky_Kong_Owns
Just for the record, in case you're responding partly to my post..... I don't have any problem whatsoever with the animations. What takes forever is checking ten dead monsters' bodies to get two monster guts, for example, or killing 20 of the ant things to get one enriched mushroom after waiting five minutes for them to find that mushroom stump to fill their pouches. I understand that's because of the rarity of the item, but it's still annoying and feels like time wasted.

Funky_Kong_Owns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Funky_Kong_Owns
@ Jordan Elek It was meant more as a general point ... and welcome to grinding lol I know what you mean that sorta thing can get really annoying but i think its like that to reward people who play all the time and make the game longer.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17868 Posts
higher than expected. i thought GS was goign to give it a 7 or 7.5. nice score. i would probably giver it an 8.5 (though its my first MH so i dont know how it stacks up to others...maybe its better or worse). however i can also see why others would hate it.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JordanElek

@ Jordan Elek It was meant more as a general point ... and welcome to grinding lol I know what you mean that sorta thing can get really annoying but i think its like that to reward people who play all the time and make the game longer.Funky_Kong_Owns
Yeah I know, but it's still an important point to mention for people wondering if they'll like the game. It doesn't have to be a negative or cause the final score to be lower.... but it's a pretty big part of the gameplay that could be a turnoff to some people who are looking to the review for a description of the game.

Funky_Kong_Owns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Funky_Kong_Owns
Good point ... still expect it too sell big tho. Sold out in my local stores, had to order it online.
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#24 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts

Is strange they granted so many reward emblems and still demerit full 2 points!

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BrunoBRS
for those talking about the score, i have two things to say 1- 8.0 stands for "Great". and there isn't a single negative emblem. 2- if the review is incredibly positive but the score bugs you, then pretend the score isn't there.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JordanElek

Joystiq's review is also up..... They're pretty negative and seem to have spent about 15 minutes with the game. Case in point:

Sure, it's technically possible to play with the Wiimote and Nunchuck, and an enthusiastic Capcom rep told me that he prefers playing it that way, but I can only assume that he was actually thinking of Wii Sports. Waggle controls are pretty much as unintuitive and unresponsive as I've come to expect for most action games on the Wii, so I assume the nice folks at Capcom included them as a formality or an office gag.Joystiq

The remote/nunchuk controls are probably the most intuitive motion controls for any action game yet, and they are 100% responsive. If your remote is tilted past the defined angle and you press A, it'll do the correct action every time. I'm pretty sure the reviewer didn't even try this "office gag".....

greenarcher02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 greenarcher02
Talk about overuse of the word 'waggle'. Do you ever waggle in MHtri? All you do is tilt. I bet he was waggling all the time.
Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

I'm starting to wander why even bother with reviews. Most reviewers are snobbish jerks, who need something simple/quick---like a FPS with HD graphics.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BrunoBRS
Talk about overuse of the word 'waggle'. Do you ever waggle in MHtri? All you do is tilt. I bet he was waggling all the time.greenarcher02
maybe that's why his moves went wrong... he'd shake the remote while pressing A :P