Miyamoto To His Staff: "I'm Retiring"

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Well, from bigger projects...

Inside our office, I've been recently declaring, 'I'm going to retire, I'm going to retire,' I'm not saying that I'm going to retire from game development altogether. What I mean by retiring is, retiring from my current position.

What I really want to do is be in the forefront of game development once again myself. Probably working on a smaller project with even younger developers. Or I might be interested in making something that I can make myself, by myself. Something really small.ShigeruMiyamoto

The Godfather making his own games or games with smaller teams intrigues me.

Full story here. I really wonder about the future of the franchises though.

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

Interesting. I would like to see him work on games again.

Hopefully his other franchises can survive without him

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 haziqonfire

alexh_99
He's left them in pretty good hands - Anouma, Koizumi, Hayashida, Konno, there's a lot of Nintendo staff that goes unnoticed.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Meh, if this means trivial little boring projects like puzzle games, Brain Age and so on, I dont care about those much at all. I am not sure how much I value Miyamoto lately. I really dont know if he has been the reason some series have gotten worse, or the reason some series are still amazing. I dont know what his involvement is in every project. All I know is Metroid needs to go back to former glory.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Cool! His mind is better off creating thngs than managing them.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
What a great legacy to leave behind.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
I would love to see him making some simple games. Maybe 3DS software with simple graphics or maybe even some Wiiware stuff. I doubt Miyamoto will ever fully retire and just stare at the walls. This is his retirement
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Quite interesting. I wonder what he'll come up with.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NaveedLife

He should make a new 2D Zelda on the 3DS!

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'm still waiting for Pikmin 3.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Please, just something new and original. He has been saddled by past franchises.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

Meh, if this means trivial little boring projects like puzzle games, Brain Age and so on, I dont care about those much at all. I am not sure how much I value Miyamoto lately. I really dont know if he has been the reason some series have gotten worse, or the reason some series are still amazing. I dont know what his involvement is in every project. All I know is Metroid needs to go back to former glory.

NaveedLife
Miyamoto has never been involved with Metroid, to my knowledge. That was always Yokoi's and Sakamoto's product with the exception of the Prime Trilogy.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i've already said what i wanted to in SW. i can relate to him (as i myself would probably never want to step away from the designer job to be put in the more executive/production parts), and i can only see good things coming out of this. i mean, he's not been in charge of his franchises for quite a while now, i don't think those will take a hit. and at the same time, miyamoto is back at the core of the development, making new games and happier. everyone wins.
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

1PMrFister

Miyamoto has never been involved with Metroid, to my knowledge. That was always Yokoi's and Sakamoto's product with the exception of the Prime Trilogy.

Miyamoto was involved with Prime 1. I hope he can do something really cool with his new team

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BrunoBRS

NaveedLife
"i don't want projects that will take 5 years to develop". hell, he wants to start on something that is presentable within the year. expect him to start putting games on the digital distribution side of things.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="alexh_99"]

Haziqonfire
He's left them in pretty good hands - Anouma, Koizumi, Hayashida, Konno, there's a lot of Nintendo staff that goes unnoticed.

poor aonuma never goes unnoticed by the haters though :P the whole mario team is composed of geniuses, they're definitely safe. zelda probably is too, but i'm not sure how much miyamoto forced to change/not change. the zelda team's work process has always been kinda blurry for me.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

I'm sure Mario and Zelda will be fine, so I'm looking forward to what comes from this.

Anyways, as long as he's not leaving Nintendo, I'm good. :P

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

BrunoBRS

"i don't want projects that will take 5 years to develop". hell, he wants to start on something that is presentable within the year. expect him to start putting games on the digital distribution side of things.

A 2D game isn't THAT hard to develope. I think him and a small team could do it just fine in a year. If Indie devs can make Braid, Bastion, and more, he can do this :P

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GunSmith1_basic

yokofox33
like many other series, Miyamoto has passed that franchise over to others. Pikmin 2 was not made by Shigeru at all and I loved it. And btw if you didn't know already Pikmin 3 will be on the WiiU. I say its bs that we never got a wii version but oh well.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

GunSmith1_basic

like many other series, Miyamoto has passed that franchise over to others. Pikmin 2 was not made by Shigeru at all and I loved it. And btw if you didn't know already Pikmin 3 will be on the WiiU. I say its bs that we never got a wii version but oh well.

I have only played a TINY bit of the first one and watched a bit of both. The game was SO dull to me. Maybe I didnt play enough? It seems so much like an RTS, but without the difficulty. I hate RTS games :P.

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GunSmith1_basic

[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"][QUOTE="yokofox33"]

NaveedLife

I have only played a TINY bit of the first one and watched a bit of both. The game was SO dull to me. Maybe I didnt play enough? It seems so much like an RTS, but without the difficulty. I hate RTS games :P.

I consider Pikmin to be an RTS. It is also quite difficult the first time you go through it. I've beaten the original several times though, and in those times I tried to see how quickly I could assemble all the parts. Also, if I remember correctly you don't need every part in order to win. Oddly enough, the ever-present time limit and the collection of various parts made the game feel like Majora's Mask to me (Pikmin is quite dark as well). Pikmin 2 is a very difficult game and it expands on Pikmin 1 in every way and even adds some very new features. I'm on the fence about the WiiU but man I want to play another Pikmin game.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

I really wonder about the future of the franchises though.

Haziqonfire
I don't, Nintendo's success with these games aren't attributed solely to him. In fact Skyward Sword, a lot of that came from Fujibayashi according to Aonuma, he had free reign. He trained these people, so they know what their doing. Anyway, I doubt he wont be involved, at least not for some time, you don't go from steering the ship to cooking the meals, just like that. But I'm all for him training the new guys, couldn't have a better person bringing up the young talent.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sepewrath

A 2D game isn't THAT hard to develope. I think him and a small team could do it just fine in a year. If Indie devs can make Braid, Bastion, and more, he can do this :P

NaveedLife
There were zero expectations for Braid, Bastion etc. They could have thrown those games together in a week, they could have been terrible and no one would have cared. Cant do that with Zelda, even though it wouldn't surprise me to see him push that LTTP remake forward, he really seems to want to see that happen.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts
[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Sepewrath
There were zero expectations for Braid, Bastion etc. They could have thrown those games together in a week, they could have been terrible and no one would have cared. Cant do that with Zelda, even though it wouldn't surprise me to see him push that LTTP remake forward, he really seems to want to see that happen.

He does???? :O If that ever gets announced, you guys would never hear from me again, I'd have died of happy.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

you underestimate nintendo's polish. just give up on that idea, he's not messing with zelda, mario or those other big franchises anymore :P
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] "i don't want projects that will take 5 years to develop". hell, he wants to start on something that is presentable within the year. expect him to start putting games on the digital distribution side of things.BrunoBRS

you underestimate nintendo's polish. just give up on that idea, he's not messing with zelda, mario or those other big franchises anymore :P

This just in....HE IS MESSING WITH THOSE TITLES! :P

It was a false statement saying he is stepping down. IGN has updated their article saying so.

And to the user above (dont remember who :P), sure those games had no expectations, but both (I have only played the demo of Bastion) are very unique, well done, polished products. Nintendo's polish so far is game breaking bugs in Other M and Skyward Sword :P. Just picking, but its true lol.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
Takes Nintendo to do something this great. :D Miyamoto is the Legend of Video Games and him training young devs to work on more than daek GoW and CoD type games and actually bring out some colorful fun new ip's with lots of depth like Mario, Zelda and Metroid is a REALLY good thing. I Definitely will be getting the WiiU at launch now. Can't wait to see what new ideas he has in store
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NaveedLife

Takes Nintendo to do something this great. :D Miyamoto is the Legend of Video Games and him training young devs to work on more than daek GoW and CoD type games and actually bring out some colorful fun new ip's with lots of depth like Mario, Zelda and Metroid is a REALLY good thing. I Definitely will be getting the WiiU at launch now. Can't wait to see what new ideas he has in storenini200

You saw that its not true right? I am sure they say its not though because of their stock.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Nintendo is dead the second he walks away from the company, they have nowhere near the talent to keep going

Nintendo will do everything to keep him in the building, the second he leaves the company is just weeks away from bankruptcy

I expect a giant PR wave to stop investors from making plans to walk away so they can get top dollar before Nintendo's shares tank

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Update!

According to updates posted in both Gamespot's and Ign's articles covering this story, Nintendo says Miyamoto is not "retiring" from his current role. According to Nintendo, the interview with Miyamoto done by Wired was misinterripted and for people to "please do not be concerned."

Gamespot's article

Ign's Article

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jaysonguy

Update!

According to updates posted in both Gamespot's and Ign's articles covering this story, Nintendo says Miyamoto is not "retiring" from his current role. According to Nintendo, the interview with Miyamoto done by Wired was misinterripted and for people to "please do not be concerned."

Gamespot's article

Ign's Article

Gamingclone

Yes, we know this

Nintendo has put their cash cow under a gag order and are working hard to keep their investors from bailing

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 haziqonfire

Nintendo is dead the second he walks away from the company, they have nowhere near the talent to keep going

Nintendo will do everything to keep him in the building, the second he leaves the company is just weeks away from bankruptcy

I expect a giant PR wave to stop investors from making plans to walk away so they can get top dollar before Nintendo's shares tank

Jaysonguy

Like Apple right when Steve Jobs passed away? :P.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

[QUOTE="nini200"]Takes Nintendo to do something this great. :D Miyamoto is the Legend of Video Games and him training young devs to work on more than daek GoW and CoD type games and actually bring out some colorful fun new ip's with lots of depth like Mario, Zelda and Metroid is a REALLY good thing. I Definitely will be getting the WiiU at launch now. Can't wait to see what new ideas he has in storeNaveedLife

You saw that its not true right? I am sure they say its not though because of their stock.

I saw
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Haziqonfire

Apple's stock went down after his death

Also Jobs is more like Iwata

Comic_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Comic_Gamer
Member since 2011 • 33 Posts

Jaysonguy

Weeks from bankrupcy? That's not at all an exaggeration. Even if Nintendo was to put out a crappy Mario platformer, there are still millions that would buy it.

On a side note, imagine being a young developer and Nintendo and working with Miyamoto! No pressure!

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

whatever makes you sleep at night.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
At 59, it's a wise and much needed step to make.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sepewrath
Par the course with media sensationalism, everyone jumps on the story and no one bothers to fact check first. And lol at Jayson, does his nonsensical trolling know no ends?
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BrunoBRS
Par the course with media sensationalism, everyone jumps on the story and no one bothers to fact check first. And lol at Jayson, does his nonsensical trolling know no ends? Sepewrath
he's on system wars now. it's hilarious :lol:
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sepewrath
Well to be fair, on System Wars, trolling is a way of life.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BrunoBRS
Well to be fair, on System Wars, trolling is a way of life. Sepewrath
true. but people should try SW out before accepting the overblown urban legends they hear as the truth :P
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

[QUOTE="Gamingclone"]

Update!

Gamespot's article

Ign's Article

Jaysonguy

Yes, we know this

Nintendo has put their cash cow under a gag order and are working hard to keep their investors from bailing

He's been doing mainly supervisory roles for a while now. He doesn't personally develop the games so I'm not sure why anyone would be bothered. But You're right he will probably just retain the title while someone else takes on the responsibilities, just to keep investors happy.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#43 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I hope that the franchises survive!At least he's not completley retiring.

knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 knuckl3head
Member since 2009 • 908 Posts

This sounds like a big exciting way of them saying nothings changing.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 haziqonfire

Jaysonguy

Miyamoto leaving the company wouldn't have a huge effect.

He's taught the younger developers well and has been for a while.

1-Up_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 1-Up_Gamer
Member since 2009 • 483 Posts

Miyamoto acknowledges that Nintendo would have to survive without him at some point.

"We have to construct the structure so that the organization so that it can make it without me. I should also admit that it might be better without me; I mean that a different approach and different talent might emerge, though I shouldn't dwell on this because then the article might indeed say 'Mr. Miyamoto is thinking about retiring,' because that is not the case."

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/12/08/nintendo-game-chief-sees-better-times-ahead/

While Miyamoto is healthy and will be around a long time yet since he's only 59, there will come a day when it's Takashi Tezuka, Yoshiaki Koizumi, and Eiji Aonuma leading the pack.

fitzokoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 fitzokoli
Member since 2005 • 3236 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="alexh_99"]

BrunoBRS

poor aonuma never goes unnoticed by the haters though :P the whole mario team is composed of geniuses, they're definitely safe. zelda probably is too, but i'm not sure how much miyamoto forced to change/not change. the zelda team's work process has always been kinda blurry for me.

After playing Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and Super Mario 3D Land I have to say the Mario dev team are already legends in my eyes. The creativity especially with level design is mind blowing. Cant wait for their next game on WiiU!

nintenjoe3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nintenjoe3
Member since 2010 • 385 Posts
I'm just waiting for Shigesato Itoi to make a big return.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts
He should of retired a long time ago.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Don't they train up people below them anymore?...like his personal student, there's a word for that but can't think of it atm. :P