Metroid Prime - 10 years and still a great game

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

This is a poll, evidently, but I'm going to start the topic by stating my opinion: Metroid Prime, the first game, aged very well. When I say Metroid Prime, there might be a technicality: I first played it on a friend's GC, back in '03. Now, I am playing through it again, on veteran, on the Wii (with the Metroid Prime Trilogy, which I finally managed to get :D ). The controls are, obviously, much better than on the GC: for a game where scanning things and changing your point of view are so important, being able to do so with the pointer is a godsend.

Let me cut to the chase as to why I think it aged well (specially in comparison to other games from that time):

1. Graphically. They aren't impressive, they certainly aren't as slick as they were back in the day, but they continue to be just as immersive. Going through Phendrana drifts had me awe-struck, for a second time. The scenarios look great despite the hardware they were built for.

2. Soundtrack. It's still my favorite soundtrack from the three Prime games. Don't get me wrong: all three have great and immersive soundtracks, but this one just topples them. Thardus' boss them - I fought him yesterday - is amazing.

3. Gameplay. What was great with the dual-analogs became better with the pointer. The gameplay is perfect - if your character does something you didn't want it to, it's your mistake - and everything in the game capitalizes on it. Boss fights have you dodging by an inch, platforming and exploring sequences are great -- something curious for a game in first-person, a notoriously limited point of view for platforming.

4. Storytelling. More so than the other two, Metroid Prime is a solitary game. You are thrust onto a planet, with no one to talk to. You are a stranger in a hostile environment, and the game depicts this perfectly: you talk to no one and there are absolutely no cutscenes (well.. occasionally you get a cinematic view of a boss or you see Ridley flying by) -- normally, this would make a game bland. In Metroid Prime, it just adds to the game's lone wolf, one-man army view on Samus: you have no one to help you, no one to tell you what happened - but you have evidence. You look at a body and you see that it was struck viciously by parasites. As you look at a panel of computer screens, each colors the recent events: how the space pirates began experimentation on Metroids... and how it went wrong. It is an amazing story, minimalistic to the right measure, in which you truely feel like an isolated Bounty Hunter.

5. Moments/events. This game, without using any cutscenes or dialogue, had some of the most impacting moments in gaming. I like to cite an example that marked me in '03, and I relived this weekend: the facility in which you first find the metroids. As you head down the research lab, you see one or two metroids in test tubes. You get to the bottom, and you get the heat visor -- you could call that a convenient thing, considering what happens next. The power turns off, and once you transition from your regular vision to your heat vision, you seeseveral metroids, along with Space Pirates you hadn't noticed up to then -- because they had cloaking devices. The pounding music and impending sense of danger create a feeling similar to the first thing you experience in the game: escaping from an exploding space station. Even without a countdown, you still hurry to the exit of the facility as if your life depended on it, and as if escaping is your priority.

These, and many other reasons (me being a huge Sci-Fi fan, for instance), are what made me crown Metroid Prime as the best game in '03, a title it still maintain's in '12. It is the definition of 'game': you are always in control of your character, the story is told in a realistic manner - without cluttering your experience, the gameplay is perfect (great before, perfect with the pointer) and the combat exhilarating. I rate it a perfect ten out of ten - judging by today's or yesteryear's criteria. Even with my undying affection for other classics, such as Planescape : Torment and TLoZ: OoT, Metroid Prime remains, in my view, the ultimate gaming experience.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#2 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
Yes it's a masterpiece. It won't age in the way that other games do because the principles (many of which you've listed) are not withered by time. Just as the first Metroid has some appeal (even though there are plenty of other sci-fi platformers, Metroid still offers something else).
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 iHarlequin

Yes it's a masterpiece. It won't age in the way that other games do because the principles (many of which you've listed) are not withered by time. Just as the first Metroid has some appeal (even though there are plenty of other sci-fi platformers, Metroid still offers something else).so_hai

True. A lot of people give Super Metroid a lot of praise -- all well-earned, as it is one of the great SNES games -- but Metroid Prime just feels right. I was skeptic when I first heard they were making a Metroid 3D game, but they sure gave it the Zelda treatment: very expansive, quality-controls, beautiful scenarios and great level-design. I hope they revisit this side of the series someday, or innovate it into something just as good.

Guovssohas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Guovssohas
Member since 2010 • 330 Posts
A true masterpiece! Everything is just pure quality! The graphics, sounds, music, level design, bosses, gameplay.. Ahh the memories :) The first and best Prime game.
GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

One of the greatest games on the gamecube. One of the best games that year. One of the best games that generation, and maybe even one of the best games that decade.

Guovssohas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Guovssohas
Member since 2010 • 330 Posts

One of the greatest games on the gamecube. One of the best games that year. One of the best games that generation, and maybe even one of the best games that decade.

GamerEye

For me it's one of the best of all time. :)

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I remember being a young teenager without the internet, buying all the Hyper and Nintendo magazines, and loving the screen shots to this game. I was looking forward to it so much. I remember looking at all the interesting creatures and the atmospheric levels, and I just couldn't wait. And I gotta say, it definitely delivered. Such a wonderful game.

It remains in my top 10 of all time. Possibly 5. Or 3. Or 1.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

I can't speak for everybody, but for me the game has definitely aged well. But I'd say that anyway since it's my personal favorite title out of all the games I've played, ever. The game just got so many things right when it was released.

Everything in that world was subject to absurd amounts of detail- from the ancient Chozo writings to that unsettling hum of machinery present in the research labs and mines. Not to mention that it transferred the formula to 3D so well. You were jumping and bombing your way to new items as you were in the 2D titles. The soundtrack is remarkably fitting and the pacing was excellent. And all of it without dialogue or extended cutscenes. You spend at least 90% of the game atcually controlling Samus without anything to get in the way of the exploration.

That sense of enjoyable solitude is what made it my favorite gaming experience, and why it still is 10 years later.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Definitely aged unbelievably well to me. The strong art direction is going to hold up the visuals for a while, I doubt anyone will look back and say "GAH THATS UGLY" just because the visual design alone is so well done. Retro Studios is just that good :)

bjvill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 bjvill
Member since 2011 • 152 Posts
Never got to play them, but they do look great in all aspects. I do wish the prime trilogy for wii could still be found in stores. The only one i've ever come across is corruption, not sure if i want to get just that without the other 2.
Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

I've always considered the 1st MP to be the best of the trilogy. The only thing I disliked about it was when you had to find all those chozo artifacts. That really messed with the game's pace for me.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I think Metroid Prime is undeniably a masterpiece and that requires being able to stand the test of time IMO

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
I agree. I'll remember Metroid Prime (GCN) and Super Paper Mario (Wii) as games that took a risk, and was worth it.
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Hell yes. Metroid Prime is amazing, and the Wii Trilogy version is even better. I love how the game tells a story without forcing cutscene after cutscene down your throat, something I have gotten annoyed with in a lot of Nintendo's more recent games, such as Skyward Sword and Metroid: Other M, it is also a fantastically beautiful world to explore, and really shows off just what Nintendo's systems can pull of if developers are willing to put the time and effort into it.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Its actually rare for time to make a game bad. The only ones really subjected to that are the games stuck between 2D and 3D.
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#16 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
I get your points but, from my point of view, I like to consider all three Prime games as a single one, based on how similar is gameplay and all the story behind being so cohesive and absorbing I know there are a lot of fans for the 1st Prime over the rest and I can see why, but my personal favorite is Echoes I think most of what you have depicted is applicable to all three, perhaps with Corruption being the "prettiest" of all them and, perhaps, the one that ditched the lonely wolf a little bit as you actually play along others. Even then, I still consider the three as a single game which takes you through a great narrative, expansive universe and engaging history which evolves in each chapter Now I'm off to play some more Metroid ;) Regards
da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
metroid is my 2nd fav series ever. (Zelda is #1). I am in the middle of replaying MP3 right now even.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Now how did you manage to find Metroid Prime Trilogy? I want it so bad, but not $250 on amazon bad
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Now how did you manage to find Metroid Prime Trilogy? I want it so bad, but not $250 on amazon baddarkspineslayer
I would happily pay $150 for it if i didn't had it.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Now how did you manage to find Metroid Prime Trilogy? I want it so bad, but not $250 on amazon baddarkspineslayer

I see used copies going for around $70.

Avatar image for LoW-MisterSeven
LoW-MisterSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LoW-MisterSeven
Member since 2012 • 153 Posts

i still play the first Prime on Trilogy.It's fun as ever and the motion controls allow me to do stuff a lot faster than i could before :] Beware all Space Pirates! (PS:not one negative vote yet!)

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WreckEm711

i still play the first Prime on Trilogy.It's fun as ever and the motion controls allow me to do stuff a lot faster than i could before :] Beware all Space Pirates! (PS:not one negative vote yet!)

LoW-MisterSeven

I play the first one a lot on there too, its still so good!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]Now how did you manage to find Metroid Prime Trilogy? I want it so bad, but not $250 on amazon badPixel-Perfect

I see jack squat around. and I've tracked down gems like SoulCalibur 2 for Gamecube :(
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]Now how did you manage to find Metroid Prime Trilogy? I want it so bad, but not $250 on amazon baddarkspineslayer

I see jack squat around. and I've tracked down gems like SoulCalibur 2 for Gamecube :(

Request a story transfer at GameStop.. our local store has 3 and they marked them down to 64.99 last I saw.. Seriously, every gamestop can just look and see what stores have a game and transfer it to theirs and hold it for you, I have no idea why anyone would pay over 70 for it when its available in stores for that :P

spaceninja818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 spaceninja818
Member since 2009 • 425 Posts

I got a used copy of Trilogy from Gamestop about 2 years ago for $40.00. It was really their "last copy" in the store. The game was almost in perfect condition and none of the extras were missing. I didn't expect that from Gamestop. And I agree about Metroid Prime still being great after 10 years.

-Flagg-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 -Flagg-
Member since 2005 • 426 Posts

It didn't. I played the first game for the first time few years ago on the Wii. The game still sounded and looked good and had some neat little touches but it wasn't fun to play. The Wii controls work really well and that's not the problem. Problem is that you are forced to run back and forth, back and forth, back and forth all the **** TIME. It get's really damn tedious and fast. I know that people try to defend this aspect by saying that it's part of the franchise. To those people i don't have anything else to say but that you people are (not really going to say it)

Backtracking is okay if it's done right but it certainly wasn't done right on this game. This game is one of those games that truely show how fanatic Nintendo fans are.

And no, i'm not going to response to your bickering (no matter what you spew)

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 iHarlequin

It didn't. I played the first game for the first time few years ago on the Wii. The game still sounded and looked good and had some neat little touches but it wasn't fun to play. The Wii controls work really well and that's not the problem. Problem is that you are forced to run back and forth, back and forth, back and forth all the **** TIME. It get's really damn tedious and fast. I know that people try to defend this aspect by saying that it's part of the franchise. To those people i don't have anything else to say but that you people are (not really going to say it)

Backtracking is okay if it's done right but it certainly wasn't done right on this game. This game is one of those games that truely show how fanatic Nintendo fans are.

-Flagg-

You end with 'no matter what you spew', but your whole post is rage-induced hatred directed at Metroid fans. I understand that you don't like the heavy backtracking in Metroid -- and it is the franchise's trademark -- but I disagree. I think it's fun to see how places you've been to before change as you progress in the game, and the new areas you can access with unlocked powers. It gives a realistic sense of exploration that most games lack. It breaks the ordinary linearity most games have, and turns what could be individual levels into a seamless world. That's how I felt playing Metroid Prime. A room that would ordinarily just be another room to go through turns into a part of the world you're in, not just a 'level' to go through.

That's how you show your opinion without being a dick about it. I don't know if some Metroid fan bullied you as a child, but there's absolutely no need to come into a place of discussion with such a defensive stance.

manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

I played through it for the first time when the Trilogy was released on Wii. It does hold up very well visually and the pointer controls add a lot like you said... but it's not a game for everyone and requires a lot of patience.

Not knowing where to go or how to get to somewhere and spending half an hour wandering around aimlessly was the norm for me when I was playing it. My friends have said similar things, so I'm not alone in this. It's definitely something which could turn a first-timer off. Especially as linear games are the norm nowadays.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

-Flagg-

Sorta get your point...it can be quite confusing with the map as well. You'd think 3d maps helps but nope. Its not for everyone. :)

kreegan64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 kreegan64
Member since 2011 • 44 Posts

I see trilogy for brand spanking new going for 29.99 at gamestop. (at least last time I checked)

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 iHarlequin

I played through it for the first time when I the Trilogy was released on Wii. It does hold up very well visually and the pointer controls add a lot like you said... but it's not a game for everyone and requires a lot of patience.

Not knowing where to go or how to get to somewhere and spending half an hour wandering around aimlessly was the norm for me when I was playing it. My friends have said similar things, so I'm not alone in this. It's definitely something which could turn a first-timer off. Especially as linear games are the norm nowadays.

manicfoot

Pretty much this. As you said, the IR controllers are perfect. I actually think this is a game that benefits more from IR than it would from a mouse -- it tries to appeal to your sense of exploration, and the more immersion it can provide you (hell, for all I know my right arm is Samus' right arm), the better.

Concerning the non-linearity and the occasional periods of not having a clue what to do, I had those too. And I'm having them again, as I replay this gem. It took me half-an-hour after discovering the room where the Wave beam is to figure out what I had to do. I'm currently stumped after defeating Thardos and getting the spider add-on for the morph ball, but I still explore and find new things constantly, even if it doesn't yield actual progress in the story. That's the thing about Metroid (all games, this one even moreso. Maybe not Metroid: other M): you can't play to progress the story. You have to play as an explorer, and as you find different things and power-ups, you can reach different places, and every now and then you'll encounter something story-relevant (Metroid facility, Ridley, the bosses, etc.).

Sorta get your point...it can be quite confusing with the map as well. You'd think 3d maps helps but nope. Its not for everyone. :)

superbuuman

Yeah :lol: . I actually found the 3D maps to be helpful if you devote a bit more time to them, instead of just popping the map for an occasional glance. Twist, turn and zoom in and out when you're looking for something. They went for complexity to add immersion instead of simplicity to turn it into an easier experience, this time :P.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I'd much rather play Metroid Prime than just about any other game released in the last ten years.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

-Flagg-

hey look...1 negative vote now... i wonder who it could be?

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 iHarlequin

I'd much rather play Metroid Prime than just about any other game released in the last ten years.meetroid8

With a name like that, I never would have guessed :P . I'm a bit against remakes, but seeing Super Metroid and Metroid rendered in Prime's 3D world, with similar storytelling styles, would be neat'o. Then again, the story is a bit irrelevant to the game's quality (great story, game would still be great without it), so any new games in the Prime style would be awe-some. Even if it goes against my lust for innovation, Prime's style is too good to die off after three games.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Metroid Prime is the best game I've ever played. I never played it on the GC, but I played it as part of the trilogy on the Wii and was blown away by the experience. So yes, it's aged very, very well.

Virtua_Souls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Virtua_Souls
Member since 2012 • 267 Posts

Nice points, I agree with basically every one. Metroid Prime is still and always will be an incredible game. When I first played it 10 years ago, I couldn't believe how well they transitioned Metroid from 2D to 3D. Retro and Nintendo just did an amazing job, and they exceeded all of my expectations. I certainly hope that Nintendo brings back the Prime style for the next Metroid game... hopefully on the Wii U sometime.

I only wish Nintendo wouldn't have stopped producing the Prime Trilogy so darn fast! I'm still upset with them about that decision... 'cause I didn't pick up a copy in time :( Oh well, I'll pay the $150+ for a copy someday.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 iHarlequin

Nice points, I agree with basically every one. Metroid Prime is still and always will be an incredible game. When I first played it 10 years ago, I couldn't believe how well they transitioned Metroid from 2D to 3D. Retro and Nintendo just did an amazing job, and they exceeded all of my expectations. I certainly hope that Nintendo brings back the Prime style for the next Metroid game... hopefully on the Wii U sometime.

I only wish Nintendo wouldn't have stopped producing the Prime Trilogy so darn fast! I'm still upset with them about that decision... 'cause I didn't pick up a copy in time :( Oh well, I'll pay the $150+ for a copy someday.

Virtua_Souls

Yeah. I just recently got the MPT, so I've been going through the games using the Wiimote :) . About to finish the first one -- just got to the part where you fight Metroid Prime, but I died during his second phase because I had accumulated too much damage. The bosses aren't excruciatingly difficult, but at Veteran they're by no means easy (Omega Pirate and Meta Ridley had me dead once before I figured how to dispose of them properly). I expect to finish this game tomorrow, at a 20 - 25h playthrough, and start MP 2 - my favorite one, at least as far as bosses and difficulty go (puzzle and combat-wise).

Also, are you absolutely sure you can't request your nearest Gamestop or major game retailer to bring MPT from another one of their stores? You'll pay the price of a new game (US$50 - 60, iirc), but it's still much cheaper than US$150,00.

Virtua_Souls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Virtua_Souls
Member since 2012 • 267 Posts

@iHarlequin - Ah yes, Metroid Prime's second phase, that thing was tough! If I remember correctly, it took me a couple tries to figure it out. And yeah, I don't think the Omega Pirate and Meta Ridley are ever that easy to beat, but dang, those two fights are awesome. MP2 really does have some great bosses as well. It's been a while since I played that one, I'm looking forward to playing it again when I can get the MPT.

Also, are you absolutely sure you can't request your nearest Gamestop or major game retailer to bring MPT from another one of their stores? You'll pay the price of a new game (US$50 - 60, iirc), but it's still much cheaper than US$150,00.iHarlequin
That's a good idea, thanks, I'll look into that. It certainly would be nice to not pay Amazon-seller prices for it.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

I just restarted playing :P

iWqwQMrIomWHi.png

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 iHarlequin

@iHarlequin - Ah yes, Metroid Prime's second phase, that thing was tough! If I remember correctly, it took me a couple tries to figure it out. And yeah, I don't think the Omega Pirate and Meta Ridley are ever that easy to beat, but dang, those two fights are awesome. MP2 really does have some great bosses as well. It's been a while since I played that one, I'm looking forward to playing it again when I can get the MPT.

[QUOTE="iHarlequin"]Also, are you absolutely sure you can't request your nearest Gamestop or major game retailer to bring MPT from another one of their stores? You'll pay the price of a new game (US$50 - 60, iirc), but it's still much cheaper than US$150,00.Virtua_Souls

That's a good idea, thanks, I'll look into that. It certainly would be nice to not pay Amazon-seller prices for it.

Omega Pirate was fairly easy the second time around - I managed to get all three super missiles in on his first recharging phase (blow the shoulder bubbles with super missiles, the knee bubbles with regular missles - rapid firing them - and then send a super missile each time he switches from phazon pool to phazon pool during recharge phase).

Meta Ridley was much more a matter of switching from the regular beam to the plasma beam - very easy the second time, even if lengthy.

And as far as Metroid Prime 2 goes, it was a matter of figuring out his visor cycle - regular, x-ray and termal, iirc - and then disposing the metroids he spawns with super missiles (power bomb if he spawns a fission metroid) and wasting the entire phazon pool on him. His attacks are really easy to dodge, so once you figure out how to quickly rid him of his metroids, it's an easy fight.

*pic*

painguy1

Looks nice :). I'm less impressed by the dolphin upscaling than some people are, but it definitely has an improvement. I'll be (re)starting the second game this night (I got 25 minutes into the game but it was on normal - which is painfully easy in the MPT) -- it's much less atmospheric than the first, but the gameplay is still great (if not better).

Also: MP1 completion time was 13:40 o.o. I really thought it had been longer, but I guess that at 62% completion percentage that was expected. Not sure if I'll be 100%'ing all the games in Hyper Mode -- maybe by the time I finish MP3 in veteran I'll want to revisit MP1 on a harder playthrough :P.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 meetroid8

@iHarlequin - Ah yes, Metroid Prime's second phase, that thing was tough! If I remember correctly, it took me a couple tries to figure it out.

Virtua_Souls

Isn't the second phase the one that only has shock wave attacks? Compared to the first, it was pathetic.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 iHarlequin

[QUOTE="Virtua_Souls"]

@iHarlequin - Ah yes, Metroid Prime's second phase, that thing was tough! If I remember correctly, it took me a couple tries to figure it out.

meetroid8

Isn't the second phase the one that only has shock wave attacks? Compared to the first, it was pathetic.

Both are easy. It's just that the second one can be genuinely annoying with its fission metroids -- until you decide to kill them off as soon as they spawn.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 meetroid8

[QUOTE="meetroid8"][QUOTE="Virtua_Souls"]

iHarlequin

Both are easy. It's just that the second one can be genuinely annoying with its fission metroids -- until you decide to kill them off as soon as they spawn.

Power bombs take out all the Metroids in one hit, assuming you've collected them all, they might as well be gnats.
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 iHarlequin

[QUOTE="iHarlequin"]

[QUOTE="meetroid8"] Isn't the second phase the one that only has shock wave attacks? Compared to the first, it was pathetic.

meetroid8

Power bombs take out all the Metroids in one hit, assuming you've collected them all, they might as well be gnats.

I'm judicious about using power bombs and missiles -- usually I don't, at all. Second time around I just spammed power bombs whenever a fission metroid showed up (Super missiles for regular ones).

Quick question: finished MP1, want to start it on Hyper - what do I do? I'm playing from the Wii (Metroid Prime Trilogy), I just killed off Metroid Prime and saved the file after the credits. Whenever I load it from the Metroid Trilogy menu, I start at my last save before the boss (Impact Crater) - I wanted to start a new game in the Hyper difficulty (to get all scans and 100% it), but I'm not sure whether I have to delete the file and start anew (and then I'll have the option for Hyper, along with Veteran and Normal), and I don't want to risk losing my save file. Does anyone know what to do?

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 meetroid8

Quick question: finished MP1, want to start it on Hyper - what do I do? I'm playing from the Wii (Metroid Prime Trilogy), I just killed off Metroid Prime and saved the file after the credits. Whenever I load it from the Metroid Trilogy menu, I start at my last save before the boss (Impact Crater) - I wanted to start a new game in the Hyper difficulty (to get all scans and 100% it), but I'm not sure whether I have to delete the file and start anew (and then I'll have the option for Hyper, along with Veteran and Normal), and I don't want to risk losing my save file. Does anyone know what to do?

iHarlequin

IIRC after you beat the game, an option comes up to restart the game or start from the previous save. You must have accidentally hit the start from previous save option. If hyper mode is unlocked, you'll have to delete the file. Just to be safe, it might be best to go through the final boss again, in case it glitched and hyper mode wasn't unlocked.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 iHarlequin

[QUOTE="iHarlequin"]

meetroid8

IIRC after you beat the game, an option comes up to restart the game or start from the previous save. You must have accidentally hit the start from previous save option. If hyper mode is unlocked, you'll have to delete the file. Just to be safe, it might be best to go through the final boss again, in case it glitched and hyper mode wasn't unlocked.

I'm going to risk deleting and starting over. I just checked my Wii inbox, I got a message from MP that has a screenshot saying 'Mission Final' - 'Hypermode Difficulty unlocked'.

Edit: Great, deleted the file and on the 'select difficulty' window there's only veteran and normal.

Edit 2: I'm not particularly mad about this :D. I'll take the opportunity to do a semi speed-run, and then start hyper mode next run. The game's so good I don't mind playing it three times in a row :lol:. I never read the pirate data lore, either, and it's pretty much how the story is told.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 meetroid8

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]

[QUOTE="iHarlequin"]

iHarlequin

I'm going to risk deleting and starting over. I just checked my Wii inbox, I got a message from MP that has a screenshot saying 'Mission Final' - 'Hypermode Difficulty unlocked'.

Edit: Great, deleted the file and on the 'select difficulty' window there's only veteran and normal.

Edit 2: I'm not particularly mad about this :D. I'll take the opportunity to do a semi speed-run, and then start hyper mode next run. The game's so good I don't mind playing it three times in a row :lol:. I never read the pirate data lore, either, and it's pretty much how the story is told.

Tisk tisk, and right after I warned you too. The logs add a lot to the atmosphere and story, I definitely recommend reading through them.
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 iHarlequin

[QUOTE="iHarlequin"]

[QUOTE="meetroid8"] IIRC after you beat the game, an option comes up to restart the game or start from the previous save. You must have accidentally hit the start from previous save option. If hyper mode is unlocked, you'll have to delete the file. Just to be safe, it might be best to go through the final boss again, in case it glitched and hyper mode wasn't unlocked.

meetroid8

Tisk tisk, and right after I warned you too. The logs add a lot to the atmosphere and story, I definitely recommend reading through them.

Maybe it's for the best. I needed to scan a lot of things, and doing so while under enemy pressure, in hyper mode, would not be easy.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18250 Posts

One of the best games ever made and one of my all time favorites, Metroid Prime is, in a word, a Masterpiece, never such an inmerssive world has caught me the way Metroid Prime did, everything was georgeous both artistically and technically if any, the only thing i feel is dated is the gameplay, but only if you play the GC version after playing the Trilogy on the Wii.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

*pic*

iHarlequin

Looks nice :). I'm less impressed by the dolphin upscaling than some people are, but it definitely has an improvement. I'll be (re)starting the second game this night (I got 25 minutes into the game but it was on normal - which is painfully easy in the MPT) -- it's much less atmospheric than the first, but the gameplay is still great (if not better).

Also: MP1 completion time was 13:40 o.o. I really thought it had been longer, but I guess that at 62% completion percentage that was expected. Not sure if I'll be 100%'ing all the games in Hyper Mode -- maybe by the time I finish MP3 in veteran I'll want to revisit MP1 on a harder playthrough :P.

13:40? wow thats actually pretty fast compared to what i got :P i dont even remember, but i know it was more than 40hrs hahaha. I spent so much time exploring for no reason at all.