Metroid other M not working

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by zeldanerd0822 (25 posts) -
my metroid other m is not working. its not the lens becuase all other games (double layered and not) work. could it just be my crappy luck and be a faulty disc?
#2 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
go back to the store, say it's not reading and ask for a new copy. you sure it's not the update the game asks you to do before playing?
#3 Posted by zeldanerd0822 (25 posts) -
it doesnt ask to update. the game doesnt even read
#4 Posted by osan0 (14975 posts) -
well if your wii plays other games fine and just not other M then it sounds like a faulty disc. return to vendor.
#5 Posted by pc-ps360 (3462 posts) -

it doesnt ask to update. the game doesnt even read zeldanerd0822

wii is NOT a region free console. maybe u bought the game of another region.

#6 Posted by lazyathew (3748 posts) -

The same thing happened to me with Metroid Prime trilogy. It worked on another Wii just fine. We had to replace our Wii to get it to work... But Brawl is double layered too right? that always worked for me, so I dunno why Trilogy didn't work...

You should probably try replacing the disc first though... If that doesn't work, try ity out on some other Wii's if you know people with some. Other then that i dunno what to tell ya.

#7 Posted by zeldanerd0822 (25 posts) -
metroid prime trilogy also works for me, so i think its the disc
#8 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
Yes, you better go to the store to replace it.
#9 Posted by zeldanerd0822 (25 posts) -
tomorrow im going to the store and replacing the game, and getting a lens cleaner just in case (there are other people with this problem as well)
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
#10 Posted by enrique_marrodz (2107 posts) -
Count me in the disappointed list :-( I'll go right now, but the store is so tiny they don't have another copy and I'll have to wait even longer!!
#11 Posted by zeldanerd0822 (25 posts) -
hopefully nintendo will realize this problem, a mod on the nintendo forum saw a thread about it. this is his quote "If your Wii is unable to read the Metroid:Other M game, yet still plays other titles just fine, please give our Consumer Service office a call. They will be able to troubleshoot the issue further with you. 800-255-3700 6am-7pm Pacific Time Seven days a week" my guess is they just gonna say did u clean the disc.did you clean the wii etc. so probably theyll just say go get another copy.
#12 Posted by AcidRainBP (25 posts) -
On the nintendo website they're saying it's because it's a 'dual layer disc' and that wiis not able to run them need to be repair... pisses me off i've been waiting to play this game and i bring it home and it doesn't work, theres a 1800 number to call, but its so busy that it tells you to call back later... BS!
#13 Posted by zeldanerd0822 (25 posts) -
for many people its not dual layer discs. if you can play ssbb or metroid prime trilogy it should work because those are BOTH dual layer discs
#14 Posted by Zophar87 (4344 posts) -

Count me in the disappointed list :-( I'll go right now, but the store is so tiny they don't have another copy and I'll have to wait even longer!!enrique_marrodz

I would ask for my money back then.

#15 Posted by zeldanerd0822 (25 posts) -
i would at least try to exchange it first
#16 Posted by BradHummr (1096 posts) -
My little brother just got this game today, he LOVES Metroid and has been anticipating the game for a long time. I'm glad it's not just us having this problem. Disc (game was brand new, obviously there are no scratches and I checked for smudges) if perfectly fine, installed the latest update via Wii Settings because it can't even read the disc. It's a shame. Guess I'll try and exchange it for him so he can play it today.
#17 Posted by enrique_marrodz (2107 posts) -

[QUOTE="enrique_marrodz"]Count me in the disappointed list :-( I'll go right now, but the store is so tiny they don't have another copy and I'll have to wait even longer!!Zophar87

I would ask for my money back then.

Well they actually had 2 more copies and there was no trouble at all changing mine for a brand new... with the same problem :( They don't have a Wii so they can't test any copy and now I'll have to wait until they contact their corporate offices I can't and don't want my money back as I bought it with store credit and pre-ordered, so I won't give back my beautiful cards which is the only thing Metroid I can see now :P
#18 Posted by almossbb (1979 posts) -

return the game to the store or wherever you got it from. get a new disk and try it out. if another disk doenst work then you should talk to nintendo about it and get yor wii fixed.

back when i bought brawl, my wii couldnt read it cause it was a doble layered disk (like metroid other m) so i talked to nintendo and they gavemefree system maintenace, even after my warranty expired. i sent them my wii and brawl, they fixed my wii and they gave me anew brawl disk, all for free.

#19 Posted by Zophar87 (4344 posts) -

Well they actually had 2 more copies and there was no trouble at all changing mine for a brand new... with the same problem :( They don't have a Wii so they can't test any copy and now I'll have to wait until they contact their corporate offices I can't and don't want my money back as I bought it with store credit and pre-ordered, so I won't give back my beautiful cards which is the only thing Metroid I can see now :Penrique_marrodz

I understand.

#20 Posted by snipe12388 (442 posts) -
They actually had this issue before with Brawl. I remember handing out flyers with the game when it released. Shame Nintendo couldn't get it to work properly without replacing Wiis.
#21 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
They actually had this issue before with Brawl. I remember handing out flyers with the game when it released. Shame Nintendo couldn't get it to work properly without replacing Wiis. snipe12388
they don't replace, they just clean the lenses for you.
#22 Posted by madsnakehhh (16259 posts) -

:cry: I'm having the exact same problem, but the weird thing, is that Trilogy plays just fine, but Brawl is a no no.

Question, it only needs some maintenance right?

#23 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -

:cry: I'm having the exact same problem, but the weird thing, is that Trilogy plays just fine, but Brawl is a no no.

madsnakehhh
as far as i know, yes. talking about trilogy... my friend's wii made a really weird noise when he put the game in it... he says brawl didn't work either, but the trilogy disc is mine... i'm worried >.>
#24 Posted by zeldanerd0822 (25 posts) -
the weird thing is that SSBB and MPT both work fine for me...so shouldnt other m work unless the disc was messed up?
#25 Posted by J_Ford (2246 posts) -

Sorry to hear that it's not working for you.

It works fine for me though. I put the game in, it said Wii System Update on the Disc Channel. I clicked on it, accepted, it updated. Didn't take long at all.

#26 Posted by madsnakehhh (16259 posts) -

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

BrunoBRS

as far as i know, yes. talking about trilogy... my friend's wii made a really weird noise when he put the game in it... he says brawl didn't work either, but the trilogy disc is mine... i'm worried >.>

Should i use one of those lens cleaner, or you guys think is better to have it repair?

#27 Posted by zeldanerd0822 (25 posts) -
im going to the store tomorrow to exchange for a diff copy of the game and a lens cleaner, ill post here if it works or not
#28 Posted by Zophar87 (4344 posts) -

im going to the store tomorrow to exchange for a diff copy of the game and a lens cleaner, ill post here if it works or not zeldanerd0822

Hoping for the best for you. It truly is an amazing game.

#29 Posted by PitatheGreat (122 posts) -

I found unplugging the wii with the disc inside 3-5 times gets it read. Takes me about 6minutes or so before I can get the game to work.

#30 Posted by superbuuman (6021 posts) -

not the news I'd like to hear...*fingers crossed* mine will work out of the box tomoro :)

#31 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29702 posts) -

It's probably because your Wii is a Launch Wii or something like that. Happened with Brawl too.

#32 Posted by Litchie (20857 posts) -

It's probably because your Wii is a Launch Wii or something like that. Happened with Brawl too.

LegatoSkyheart
Mine is a launch Wii too. I've had no problem playing any dual layered discs.
#33 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

madsnakehhh

Should i use one of those lens cleaner, or you guys think is better to have it repair?

well "sending to repair" is basically asking someone else to clean for you. see what suits you better.
#34 Posted by Litchie (20857 posts) -
[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] as far as i know, yes. talking about trilogy... my friend's wii made a really weird noise when he put the game in it... he says brawl didn't work either, but the trilogy disc is mine... i'm worried >.>BrunoBRS

well "sending to repair" is basically asking someone else to clean for you. see what suits you better.

Cleaning it yourself sounds a lot cheaper and faster..
#35 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -

Litchie

Cleaning it yourself sounds a lot cheaper and faster..

not if you're afraid to do something wrong. i never had to clean lenses myself, so i don't really know the advantages or disadvantages of each choice.

#36 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29702 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Litchie

Ok maybe I should rephrase that. If you have a Launch Wii chances are you're probably going to have problems with Duel Layered Discs then again it had to do with the Lens being dirty or something ruther so I guess it's not cause it's a Launch Wii.

#37 Posted by zeldanerd0822 (25 posts) -
im going out to the store soon to pick up a new copy of the game and wii lens cleaner *corsses fingers*
#38 Posted by zeldanerd0822 (25 posts) -
THEWII LENS CLEANER DOES WORK! i got a new copy of the game and wii lens cleaner....i cleaned the lens 2-3 times and it eventually worked!
#39 Posted by Crisis_Eye (1554 posts) -
The same exact thing happened to me. Metroid; Other M is one of the three double layered discs on the Wii. Your lens has to be almost perfectly clean to read it. I just kept putting the disc in and it eventually worked. It can be a pain in the butt sometimes but it doesn't bother me too much. Try gently rubbing any smudges off of it with a soft cloth. Go from the inside of the disc to the outside in a straight line. DO NOT GO IN A CIRCULAR MOTION. I found that this also helps it read. Oh and try turning your Wii horizontally or vertically. For some reason this worked also.
#40 Posted by madsnakehhh (16259 posts) -

THEWII LENS CLEANER DOES WORK! i got a new copy of the game and wii lens cleaner....i cleaned the lens 2-3 times and it eventually worked!zeldanerd0822

Thanks for the Info, i'm going to pass later for a cleaner kit, i won't find the Official Nintendo Kit though, but i've heard that a good one will work as well, glad to see your problem solved.

#41 Posted by snipe12388 (442 posts) -

[QUOTE="snipe12388"]They actually had this issue before with Brawl. I remember handing out flyers with the game when it released. Shame Nintendo couldn't get it to work properly without replacing Wiis. BrunoBRS
they don't replace, they just clean the lenses for you.

At least people don't have to wait as long to get their Wii back. I wonder what they really do to clean it over just getting a lens cleaning kit.

#42 Posted by enrique_marrodz (2107 posts) -

madsnakehhh

Try the lense cleaner first, it is cheap and most of the cases is all you need
#43 Posted by enrique_marrodz (2107 posts) -
[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Litchie

Mine is a launch Wii too. I had no trouble with SSBB until I changed orientation on the Wii (from vertical to horizontal), and then the lens became to dusty. I cleaned when it started having problems and it worked fine with SSBB again and MPT. Now I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of defective M:OM discs, and it appears my store received them all!
#44 Posted by enrique_marrodz (2107 posts) -
Ok, 3 out of 3 copies! So it must be my Wii. I'm glad for you all who solved your problem now you can drop a tear for me ;-) Regards
#46 Posted by madsnakehhh (16259 posts) -

Finally, i was able to play this game, the leans clean kit didn't work, so i had to take the matter in my own hands, overall, is not really that hard to clean it by yourself specially if you have a good video tutorial explaning things.

#47 Posted by osan0 (14975 posts) -

ok kinda related. has anyone had trouble with recharging health/missiles? i was playing it today and i couldnt charge either of them. holding the wiimote up and pressing the respective button did nothing. i know you need to be in the red to recharge health and then its point the wiimote up and press and hold A....but that didnt work. i would just go into ball mode. same for missiles..the game would do nada. i have looked at the manual but thats been no help.

edit: nevermind. busted controller. i tried a different one and its fine now.

#48 Posted by Wadespace (25 posts) -
We had the same problem everyone is experiencing - our wii is about 2-3 years old - and we tried a 'fix' that someone suggested on the Nintendo tech forum and it worked...my son is playing Other M right now. Eject the disc, hit reset, and then insert the disc right when the console is coming on. Like the post said, try it multiple times. I was about to give up on like the 15th try and finally success! The disc began to read and the game came on...no mailing in the game console! Wadespace
#49 Posted by enrique_marrodz (2107 posts) -
As I don't have the official cleaning kit I used 3 different cleaning discs, alternating them. I recognize it was a desperate move but it finally worked! The game is just awesome, in some ways is such a departure from previous ones but in other aspects it retains so well the isolation feeling, and the blend between scripted scenes and gameplay make it so engaging Man, I can't believe I lost so much time without playing it!