Mercenaries looks better with the 3d off, anyone else think so?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

so i got the mercenaries today and, while i enjoy it, i feel like the 3d really doesnt add much of anything to the visuals. in fact, i prefer playing with 3d off. ionno, i just think the jaggies are a lot worse in 3d mode and as previously stated, it doesnt even take good advantage of the 3d

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 REforever101

bump

DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 DustinTheWind
Member since 2002 • 4392 Posts

The only thing I don't like about the 3D is trying to stay in the sweet spot. It's too easy to lose it with this game, because there's always so much going on and you end up stabbing at buttons which makes you move the system/screen. There are some pretty cool 3D effects though. A lot of it is subtle, like the barrel of your gun or whatever, but then there are also moments you only see every once in a while.

Yesterday I was playing online and my partner killed an enemy that blew up after it died, which sent a second enemy flying towards me. I was standing on a different platform, 20 or so (in-game) feet from my partner, and it flew right 'into' my screen and had a cool looking pop out effect. Little stuff like that makes me want to keep the 3D on as much as I can. I turn it off when things are too hectic so that I don't have to worry about moving around too much.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
I really like it, it helps when aiming Krausers Bow imo.. i don't really fine an issue with staying in the sweet spot, I'm about 5 hours into it and have played with the 3d the whole time so far.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

Yes, the jaggies are unbearably horrible with 3D on, so I prefer 3D off for that game. I also feel the same way about the Metal Golid Solid 3 video. Pure ugly in 3D but beautiful without it.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 REforever101

Yes, the jaggies are unbearably horrible with 3D on, so I prefer 3D off for that game. I also feel the same way about the Metal Golid Solid 3 video. Pure ugly in 3D but beautiful without it.

LovePotionNo9
oh god, the mgs3 trailer with 3d is the only thing on 3ds (or 3d in general) that has every made me sick. i felt almost like throwing up and i had a massive migraine no other 3ds games or game trailers have had any negative effect at all. not sure why mgs3 wrecked me
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
to me it is more jagged with the 3d off i couldn't play as hunk with the 3d off hunk's head just looked to bad with just 2d
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 REforever101

really, the only thing about the visuals that really bugs me is how it renders enemies at a distance. when you see them move their animations are simpler so it looks like a slide show. ordinarily it isn't "terrible" but during the boss fight in level 3, when the bat thing starts flying and you're far enough away it just looks awful

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

really, the only thing about the visuals that really bugs me is how it renders enemies at a distance. when you see them move their animations are simpler so it looks like a slide show. ordinarily it isn't "terrible" but during the boss fight in level 3, when the bat thing starts flying and you're far enough away it just looks awful

REforever101

So how's the framerate in this game? Are there severe problems like IGN stated or were they actually talking 'bout enemies having fewer frames of animation when they're in the distance. They did choose to show that on their video review when they talked about the framerate so that kinda confused me. Didn't notice other framerate problems at least from that video review...

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 REforever101

[QUOTE="REforever101"]

Epak_

So how's the framerate in this game? Are there severe problems like IGN stated or were they actually talking 'bout enemies having fewer frames of animation when they're in the distance. They did choose to show that on their video review when they talked about the framerate so that kinda confused me. Didn't notice other framerate problems at least from that video review...

i've seen no framerate issues but the distant enemy thing is annoying
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

[QUOTE="Epak_"]

[QUOTE="REforever101"]

REforever101

So the reviewer was just talking out of her ass. Good to know.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#12 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
So far, everything I have played is better without 3D.
ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

REforever101
I'm not gonna lie, the animation thing to me is one of the best part of the game for some reason. Seeing things move like a slide show for some reason blew my mind.
Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Harkat95
Member since 2009 • 1139 Posts
[QUOTE="REforever101"]

ShuichiChamp24
I'm not gonna lie, the animation thing to me is one of the best part of the game for some reason. Seeing things move like a slide show for some reason blew my mind.

Lol wut?
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 REforever101
[QUOTE="REforever101"]

ShuichiChamp24

wut?
DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DustinTheWind

[QUOTE="REforever101"][QUOTE="Epak_"]

Epak_

So the reviewer was just talking out of her ass. Good to know.

The framerate problems I've seen (not counting the enemies at a distance) have been very few and far between. Usually even when there are 10+ enemies on the screen and things are blowing up it's still fine. Every once in a while it drops a little, but never enough to take away from the gameplay at all.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 REforever101

i take back my initial statement about the 3d adding nothing. it doesn't add much, but sniper rifles are pretty cool, cause you actually get the sense that the scope is in front of the enemies and you're looking through it. i find it kind of cool

foxfacer2d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 foxfacer2d2
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

i take back my initial statement about the 3d adding nothing. it doesn't add much, but sniper rifles are pretty cool, cause you actually get the sense that the scope is in front of the enemies and you're looking through it. i find it kind of cool

REforever101

Is it me or the scope from the sniper rifle gives me double vision on the red dot when the 3d is on

DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DustinTheWind

[QUOTE="REforever101"]

foxfacer2d2

Is it me or the scope from the sniper rifle gives me double vision on the red dot when the 3d is on

Maybe you have the slider up too high

foxfacer2d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 foxfacer2d2
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

[QUOTE="foxfacer2d2"]

[QUOTE="REforever101"]

DustinTheWind

yeah thought so

4-Legged-Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 4-Legged-Shark
Member since 2010 • 1031 Posts

[QUOTE="DustinTheWind"]

[QUOTE="foxfacer2d2"]

foxfacer2d2

yeah thought so

Lul wut?!!! The sniper scope shouldn't even be 3D seeing as you view a scope through one eye in real life, creating a 2D image.
Hanzoadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#23 Hanzoadam
Member since 2009 • 6576 Posts

I have 5 games for the 3DS

Dead or alive, Samurai warriors chronicles, Zelda, Street fighter and ridge racer and I'd say dead or alive is the only game I really think works well in 3DS

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#24 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
Based on my limited time with the game, I'd say the 3D is fantastic on this game. However, as what has been previously mentioned, it is easy to lose the "sweet spot" when playing this game and ends up messing up my eyes.
The-Longshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#25 The-Longshot
Member since 2006 • 1321 Posts

If ur seeing double at all you just need to adjust the slider.

Personally I play with the 3d on the majority of the time, and I think the game takes excellent advantage of it. The only time I turn the 3d off is when my eyes start to hurt (usually around 45 minutes into it) or if im trying to conserve battery.

That said, a few things I notice with the 3d off are, the images seem to be slightly sharper otherwise known as better graphics. The framerate seems to also benefit slightly but only for the much farther away enemies.

My friends also mentioned that they often play with the 3d off, and I just had to ask, why get a 3ds if your going to play with the 3d off the whole time or the majority of the time? Sure its got some sweet titles right now, but the major draw of playing them for me is the fact that they are in 3d.