Mark Rein says the 3DS cant run Unreal Engine 3.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gastof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gastof
Member since 2006 • 91 Posts

i just dont understand him.Capcom are even trying to push the 3ds to its limit graphcally and even crytech says they can do something on it with the cryengine.is the iphone 3gs or iphone 4 powerful than the 3ds.coz they created a game for it.is it me or does he hate Nintendo.

Warhawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Warhawk_
Member since 2006 • 1497 Posts

Well to be fair the 3DS is close to a Gamecube or Wii and we know that two of those consoles can't run the Unreal Engine 3. The only handheld that could maybe run the engine is the sony NGP.

Warhawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Warhawk_
Member since 2006 • 1497 Posts

BTW as for the iphone/ipad I'm not sure about the specs for them but I don't really know at this point for the UE3 and 3DS thing.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

Its Nintendos way of making devs do it there way. I'm not sure how it works but Nintendo bulids the systems so these engines won't run

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
Infinity Blade for the ipod/iphone runs on Unreal Engine 3. And again, the 3DS is more of a portable Wii.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34717 Posts

Kind of like when Capcom said Street Fighter 4 wouldn't work on Wii, then later making it for 3DS. Devs tend to say a lot of weird things..

JordanizPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JordanizPro
Member since 2009 • 1912 Posts
Infinity Blade for the ipod/iphone runs on Unreal Engine 3. And again, the 3DS is more of a portable Wii. gokuofheaven
No its not.The 3DS is way more powerful than the Wii
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

[QUOTE="gokuofheaven"]Infinity Blade for the ipod/iphone runs on Unreal Engine 3. And again, the 3DS is more of a portable Wii. JordanizPro

Its stronger in some parts, but weaker in others

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

Wow, this thread looks strangely familiar. :?

Anyway, the short answer is that Mark Rein is talking crap because Epic doesn't like Nintendo for whatever reason. Maybe it's because Nintendo isn't shelling out big bucks for Epic exclusives like Microsoft and Sony.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
and they said that the COD 4 engine wouldnt work with Wii, and now look. Devs are just lazy. If they want to make a game for it, then make it. but if not, then dont. Outside that, he can make his game for the next PSP and cry at how the 3ds outsells it 10-1.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

i just dont understand him.Capcom are even trying to push the 3ds to its limit graphcally and even crytech says they can do something on it with the cryengine.is the iphone 3gs or iphone 4 powerful than the 3ds.coz they created a game for it.is it me or does he hate Nintendo.

gastof

Rein, does has a habit of bashing Nintendo every chance he gets. It's been goring for years now.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17857 Posts
i think this is more a business decision than a technical limitation. there in a slightly different situation than capcom. capcom, as far as i know, dont licence the MT framework....its only used for in house projects. epic do licence UE. so if epic add 3DS support to UE3 then there also going to have to provide support and help get around hardware limitations as their customers request it. this is going to become impossible as time goes on. phones already have the 3DS soundly beaten in terms of hardware....2-3 years from now the 3DS is going to be completly outclassed. however they would still be obliged to provide support for the 3DS versions and clients will keep asking them "can you get it to do X,Y and Z like on the iphone version?". so there wiping their hands of it. there very much thinking NGP, i___ and android devices, consoles and the PC. its easier for them to keep some sort of feature parity between the diffferent devices for the different versions of their engine. capcom dont have to worry about any of that....their devs will be briefed on what the 3DS version can do and how to scale it and they dont have to answer to client demands.
dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dzimm

You mean they would have to customize it for the 3DS . . .

. . . just like they already do for every other platform they support?

:roll:

Not to mention they already have to work around hardware limitations since the PC is more powerful than the PS3/360 which is more powerful than the iPad which is more powerful than the iPhone, so it would just be one more platform for them to maintain. And it's not like they would be doing it for free, either, since presumably there would be a lot of developers interested in licensing the technology for their own games.

I think the real driving force behind Epic's decision is corporate politics. They want something out of Nintendo in exchange for the Unreal Engine, and Nintendo won't knuckle to the pressure, so instead Mark Rein tries to tarnish Nintendo's image by suggesting that they sell underpowered hardware.

F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 F0urTwenty
Member since 2010 • 1842 Posts
I'm sure it could run Unreal Engine 3 fine and smoothly, It's just the way nintendo makes their consoles and dev units that would require Unreal to change a lot of the standard pipelines and such. I think the hardware is fine for it, it's just Unreal doesn't want to mess around and tweak the engine so much to make it run on the 3DS.
DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 DustinTheWind
Member since 2002 • 4392 Posts

Wow, this thread looks strangely familiar. :?

dzimm

Seems to happen a lot on this forum :roll:

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34717 Posts
[QUOTE="gokuofheaven"]Infinity Blade for the ipod/iphone runs on Unreal Engine 3. And again, the 3DS is more of a portable Wii. JordanizPro

Sorry, but the 3DS isn't even close to be "way more powerful than the Wii".
dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dzimm

[QUOTE="JordanizPro"][QUOTE="gokuofheaven"]Infinity Blade for the ipod/iphone runs on Unreal Engine 3. And again, the 3DS is more of a portable Wii. Litchie

Sorry, but the 3DS isn't even close to be "way more powerful than the Wii".

The 3DS is not more powerful than the Wii, true, but it is at least comparable seeing how High Voltage Software has gotten their Conduit 2 engine running on it. Even more impressively, Capcom developers ran the Resident Evil 5 engine on the 3DS as a test and were impressed with the results.

goatman455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 goatman455
Member since 2003 • 145 Posts

gastof

Even if it is as fast as an Iphone 4, it has 2 screens and 3d, so all that power needs to be divided, that's why it can't handle it.

If they used 1 screen in 2d, the 3ds might be able to handle it, but then what would be the point of having it on 3ds in the first place?

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dzimm

In the meantime, Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli has nothing but praise for the 3DS:

I think the 3DS is quite an awesome piece of hardware. At E3, I got a demonstration from... it's probably better not to say, but quite a senior person at Nintendo. That demo showed me a very powerful piece of graphics hardware, as well as a very interesting user-experience . . . I actually wouldn't be surprised if there is some high-end gaming happening on that platform because of the raw power of the hardware . . . going forward it may be very well that we look into putting the Cry Engine on that platform.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/266739/interviews/crysis-2-it-delivers-absolutely/

So we have Capcom, High Voltage Software, and Crytek, among others, all saying that the 3DS is a powerhouse system, and then there's Mark Rein with his disparaging remarks. Yeah... :roll:

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

In the meantime, Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli has nothing but praise for the 3DS:

I think the 3DS is quite an awesome piece of hardware. At E3, I got a demonstration from... it's probably better not to say, but quite a senior person at Nintendo. That demo showed me a very powerful piece of graphics hardware, as well as a very interesting user-experience . . . I actually wouldn't be surprised if there is some high-end gaming happening on that platform because of the raw power of the hardware . . . going forward it may be very well that we look into putting the Cry Engine on that platform.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/266739/interviews/crysis-2-it-delivers-absolutely/

So we have Capcom, High Voltage Software, and Crytek, among others, all saying that the 3DS is a powerhouse system, and then there's Mark Rein with his disparaging remarks. Yeah... :roll:

dzimm

Epic never said that it was impossibly to port the Unreal engine to the 3DS. It simply isn't worth their time to do it.

They have no real fanbase on any Nintendo system and they have their hands full with PS3, 360, PC and IPad games. They simply don't see the 3DS as a market they need to go after. Especially not if they have to put a ton of extra work on it.

I really don't see why this is so horrible. Nintendo works the same way. Every decision Nintendo makes are the easiest or cheapest option.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dzimm

Epic never said that it was impossibly to port the Unreal engine to the 3DS. It simply isn't worth their time to do it.JLF1

Actually, Rein straight up said that the 3DS isn't powerful enough for UE3, which is obviously bull.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
whos Mark Rein and why should i care, and its better that the 3ds doesn't to many people are using the Unreal Engine to make developing games easier
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

People have to realise that Nintendo dosen't want the 3DS running Unreal 3 etc...

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
they say that because they don't feel like having to make any games for the system at the time. I'm sure the 3ds could run it, but devs are just being lazy.