bragr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By bragr
Member since 2017 • 76 Posts

It just unlocked and i played about an hour and a half, and it's pretty easy to see the strengths and weakness of the game so far.

+ Great mechanics, the tennis itself plays well and you feel you are getting better and better.

- A lackluster set of modes and options, the story mode is just Mario going to a few different locations playing some Tennis with some almost laughable simple cut scenes. Apart from that, it's a very simple tournament mode and a free play mode. There is a mode where you can swing the controller like a Wii remote, but it's not something i care about.

I wish there was the option to customize and unlock stuff and some better progression. For example Mario Kart and the ways you can earn stars on the Grand Prix or unlock parts for the karts, so you had something to play for. Overall the game seems very geared towards either local multiplayer or online, as the single player has almost nothing going for it.

I'm gonna jump online and test how bad the lag really is, but it was ridicules during the beta.

Anyone else playing? what do you think so far.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@bragr said:

It just unlocked and i played about an hour and a half, and it's pretty easy to see the strengths and weakness of the game so far.

+ Great mechanics, the tennis itself plays well and you feel you are getting better and better.

- A lackluster set of modes and options, the story mode is just Mario going to a few different locations playing some Tennis with some almost laughable simple cut scenes. Apart from that, it's a very simple tournament mode and a free play mode. There is a mode where you can swing the controller like a Wii remote, but it's not something i care about.

I wish there was the option to customize and unlock stuff and some better progression. For example Mario Kart and the ways you can earn stars on the Grand Prix or unlock parts for the karts, so you had something to play for. Overall the game seems very geared towards either local multiplayer or online, as the single player has almost nothing going for it.

I'm gonna jump online and test how bad the lag really is, but it was ridicules during the beta.

Anyone else playing? what do you think so far.

i heard you can upgrade and get better rackets. not true?

theres different character outfits right? are those unlocked right from the start?

bragr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bragr

@KBFloYd: Haven't seen any of that. You can unlock courts as you play through adventure mode, but it seems you only unlock them for the motion control swing mode for some reason. In tournaments and stuff all the courts seem to be unlocked and is chosen at random. You can also unlock 3 characters by playing online tournaments, but these are minor characters like "blooper" whatever that is. Haven't seen anything like outfits and racket customization.

bragr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bragr

Scratch that, you do unlock rackets in story mode, and you do unlock courts for play in free play. I would say it's about 5 to 8 hours of single player time. The difficulty is odd though, as some levels can be pretty hard then suddenly it's easy again and it goes back and fourth like that throughout the entire story mode.

The online tournaments is where it's at, it's a game you need to practice a bit to have a chance but once you get some skill it's really fun.

The lag is ridicules though, even though you can see what connection the other player got, it doesn't seem to matter that much as it seems to lag at random, and for some that might kill the game. It's a game where a little lag will destroy your accuracy and it can be game breaking frustrating, i have rage quit the game several times already because of the lag.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@bragr said:

Scratch that, you do unlock rackets in story mode, and you do unlock courts for play in free play. I would say it's about 5 to 8 hours of single player time. The difficulty is odd though, as some levels can be pretty hard then suddenly it's easy again and it goes back and fourth like that throughout the entire story mode.

The online tournaments is where it's at, it's a game you need to practice a bit to have a chance but once you get some skill it's really fun.

The lag is ridicules though, even though you can see what connection the other player got, it doesn't seem to matter that much as it seems to lag at random, and for some that might kill the game. It's a game where a little lag will destroy your accuracy and it can be game breaking frustrating, i have rage quit the game several times already because of the lag.

yea, i have the street fighter 30th anniversary game on switch and the lag is just insane. really keeps me from playing it more.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

The demo was not bad but even at 20% off (GCU) the deal isn't sealed yet. I think I may just go for the S2 expansion and the upcoming Sonic next month and call it a day as far as the summer is concerned for Switch.

Jibroni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Jibroni
Member since 2003 • 290 Posts

@bragr: You seem honest in your opinions. I dont have the game as I found it frustrating and somewhat slow when I tried the demo. I didnt like how their are a lot of different buttons to press at different times either.