Mario Party = flop

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for bob_the_can_man
bob_the_can_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 bob_the_can_man
Member since 2007 • 605 Posts
who coulda guessed?
merch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 merch
Member since 2005 • 4235 Posts
me i told peopel its not gonna be good i lost interest in marioparty 3
token08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 token08
Member since 2004 • 787 Posts
Its flopping with critics but its getting great user reviews and I think thats what really counts
rarefactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rarefactory
Member since 2006 • 644 Posts
I don't care what the critics are saying. I bought it and have been having a blast playing it with my friends, and that's what matters.
reggie186

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 reggie186
Member since 2004 • 3910 Posts

Its flopping with critics but its getting great user reviews and I think thats what really countstoken08

Sometimes I agree... but often times gamers give great reviews to games that are crap. Spider-Man 3 comes to mind. A lot of people thought it was great dispite getting (and rightfully so) awful reviews.

Avatar image for hammer_of_thor_
hammer_of_thor_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 hammer_of_thor_
Member since 2007 • 2260 Posts
I wouldn't say it flopped, it's steadily dropped since the first few just since it's becoming the same-old type of thing. I'll likely still buy it since I've never actually owned one, but I loved the first couple.
Avatar image for bob_the_can_man
bob_the_can_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bob_the_can_man
Member since 2007 • 605 Posts

hammer nice dream theater pic, there absoulutley amazing.

Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts
to be fair, i think mario party 8 was a gamecube game that was moved to wii, though i could be wrong
reggie186

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 reggie186
Member since 2004 • 3910 Posts

to be fair, i think mario party 8 was a gamecube game that was moved to wii, though i could be wrongremmbermytitans

I believe you are correct, sir.

Turtodile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Turtodile
Member since 2003 • 462 Posts
Ive been saying that it wouldnt be good in my head since it was first announced. though i did think it would be better than mario party 7 or 6 due to the motion sensing/controls, but even so... eh...
soulfood4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 soulfood4
Member since 2005 • 5459 Posts
who coulda guessed?bob_the_can_man
Me. Plus MP8 isnt a flop, no one expected this game to geta high score. This was expected, its a Mario Party game!
soulsdeparting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 soulsdeparting
Member since 2006 • 1537 Posts
ill buy it cheap, i woulda bought it new if the reviews were 7.5 or higher
Sup11722

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sup11722
Member since 2005 • 1757 Posts

A PANCAKE IS A FLOP TO BUT IT TASTES GOOD

Xerlaoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Xerlaoth
Member since 2005 • 1059 Posts
the all mighty dollar will decide that, not us, not the reviewers.
Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Gary_Jinfield
Member since 2005 • 6614 Posts

Considering Mario Party 8 is very similar to its predecessors and there have been 7 of them in about the same amount of years...

This shouldn't be a surprise. It would still  make a great party game though, especially if you haven't played the 7 other games.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts
who coulda guessed?bob_the_can_man
Maybe so but I bet it still gets more play and attention from girls at parties than you do. HA!
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

I knew it would be after I have read half of the minigames use the motion sensors.

No more hopes for MP series... unless they change the devs who are making them which is Hudson. 

shummie123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 shummie123
Member since 2005 • 70 Posts
I wondering if this is worth getting just to have my mates around for a cheap night in.. but maybe the night would be better spent playing Strikers/warioware/wii sports
GoldenS1104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GoldenS1104
Member since 2005 • 2491 Posts

Mario party always gets bad reviews because it's a bad game. That's not gunna stop me from getting number 8 though. With Mario Party, it's not about the actual game, it's about the experience you have playing it with you're friends. Let me use an analogy... hmm.. Okay, I got it. If you've ever seen the movie Disturbia, you know it was pretty bad (by a movie reviewer's standard's, and frankly, i agree with the movie reviewers on this one), but I don't think I've ever had more fun in a movie theater in my life just because people we're scared all around me, but it was the funniest movie i'd seen in a while. so with mario party, its not about the actual game, its about the stuff that happens when you're playing it.

a few of my favorite mario party memories:

Me: Get the Boo Bell.

Friend 1: I'm not gettin the Boo Bell.

Me: Get the Boo Bell, you can steal Friend 2's coins and i'll be in first.

Friend 1: I'm not gettin the Boo Bell.

Me: Get the ****ing Boo Bell!

Me: I don't wanna play anymore! *rips game from console because I just got my star stolen*

I think one of my favorite moments though was when I was playing mario party two and I was winning every mini-game, but my friend who at that point had won no mini-games had 3 stars and all of my coins (more than 100). He got all of his stars from bonus boxes and he got the coins because of one of those chance time things (or maybe it was a bowser thing, i dont remember). I was in awe.

Kakua_Omari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kakua_Omari
Member since 2005 • 939 Posts
I knew it was getting a low score, all party games do really. The main thing for party games if having fun with friends/family/signifigant others, a digital board game yeah.
allnamestaken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 allnamestaken
Member since 2003 • 6618 Posts
Mario Party 8 may not be the most technically sound game, (ok it's not even close) but it is a TON of fun and is probably better then any of the Gamecube efforts. IF you play the game for what it is, it's a blast. I'm not sure what some of you were expecting? A deep and rich gameplay experience from a collection of minigames?
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
It's not bad... but I HATE HATE HATE the fake widescreen bullcrap they added.  I give this one a 5.0
coltonnaslund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 coltonnaslund
Member since 2005 • 3793 Posts
Well guess I won't play it anymore because critics don't like it........even though I am having a BLAST with my freinds playing this game
lufaru123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lufaru123
Member since 2006 • 307 Posts
i can see a lot ppl are enjoying mario party 8!
i tried getting it at circuit city yesterday 1 hour after it came out..and they were already out..amazing XD
but i still got a free 20 dollar gift card ahahha
:D
cyprus646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 cyprus646
Member since 2004 • 4070 Posts
I dont see why people are buying this garbage i mean it brings nothing new to the table except use of the wiimote. Theres no online no any thing.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts
I dont see why people are buying this garbage i mean it brings nothing new to the table except use of the wiimote. Theres no online no any thing.cyprus646
Could it be that people are buying it because it's fun?
Elbowsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Elbowsmash
Member since 2004 • 520 Posts
Lack of widescreen support is inexcusable!!!!
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#28 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
I never wanted the game in the first place no matter what score it got. It's the same Mario Party we have seen in the last 7. It's dull now.
cyprus646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 cyprus646
Member since 2004 • 4070 Posts
[QUOTE="cyprus646"]I dont see why people are buying this garbage i mean it brings nothing new to the table except use of the wiimote. Theres no online no any thing.aransom
Could it be that people are buying it because it's fun?

If you want fun then buy the 7 other mario partys that are cheaper and can be found on the cube. The mario party series is just milking you people for ANOTHER 50 bucks.
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
Well as a party game I don't think it would really matter.
magrappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 magrappy
Member since 2003 • 1835 Posts
a game only flops when it does less then expected. nintendo knew the possibilities of this game before it was released and chose to still release it. apart from that its not even out yet and sales decide a flop or not so this thread is quite childish and ungrounded.
Warfust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#32 Warfust
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts

Non-hyped games can't flop.

And I know I'll be getting it due to my kids loving the series. Sometimesit doesn't matter what the reviewers think.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I don't understand how Gamespot's reviewer can say that Mario Party's reliance on chance is such a negative thing. It's a board game with dice. Every board game with dice relies on chance. You can use certain strategies to improve your chances, but you can't rely totally on skill to win. That's the point of board games. Skill can help, but it can't guarantee anything.

The fun in a game like this is the whole experience, not the outcome. If you genuinely get angry when you lose, then you're taking it too seriously.

FFXIsAstyanax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FFXIsAstyanax
Member since 2003 • 974 Posts

I don't understand how Gamespot's reviewer can say that Mario Party's reliance on chance is such a negative thing. It's a board game with dice. Every board game with dice relies on chance. You can use certain strategies to improve your chances, but you can't rely totally on skill to win. That's the point of board games. Skill can help, but it can't guarantee anything.

The fun in a game like this is the whole experience, not the outcome. If you genuinely get angry when you lose, then you're taking it too seriously.

JordanElek

I don't think the reviewers have ever played an actual board game. Even Monopoly and Sorry - two very popular board games (at least in the US) - rely on the chance of the dice. And as for the chance spaces, they add a little spice to the game.

Honestly, I get a lot of use out of the Mario Party series. I think the trick is to skip getting every 2 or 3 of them, as to avoid getting repetition in mini-games. But they do make a good party game (oddly enough >.>) and work well for any age, skill, or gender.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I think the trick is to skip getting every 2 or 3 of them, as to avoid getting repetition in mini-games. But they do make a good party game (oddly enough >.>) and work well for any age, skill, or gender.FFXIsAstyanax

Nintendo might've screwed themselves by making too many installments of this game. I don't know anything about the sales figures, but it seems that after a few editions, many people would see that there isn't enough new to warrant another $50 purchase. I think I've only played the first Mario Party and whatever the first one for the Gamecube was; I never bought either of them, so Mario Party 8 is still pretty fresh to me. I played a round last night with my brother and his fiance, and it was a blast.

My friends back at college were begging me to buy it... but I graduated before them, I have very few friends back at home any more, and I'm broke, so I probably won't. It would probably be an amazing game for a college setting, though.

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
I hate this annoying trend of calling games flops based on reviews. If the game goes on to sell a million copies, it couldn't possibly be considered a flop. It would be a stunning success. I guess i'm not trendy enough to understand these new meanings...
Xenophone_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Xenophone_
Member since 2006 • 249 Posts
Its flopping with critics but its getting great user reviews and I think thats what really countstoken08
However, user reviews are usually lacking discernment.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34811 Posts
Flop? I don't know about you guys, but I certainly did not hype this.
MikousMaximous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MikousMaximous
Member since 2005 • 48 Posts
the game isn't a flop due to low rating. most people don't buy a game based on rating anyways. if its fun, play it!
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
I had to turn it off mid game yesterday because the game feels like its cpu biased.  That and the widescreen bs was annoying me.