Mario Kart unfair?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

When I first got MK I thought it was easily the best one, but last night I just realized how unfair and how unbalanced the game is because of the items. It always seems on the 3rd lap you just get pounded by random items and it takes out all the fun.

Now I don't even want to play it, Nintendo has ruined Mario Kart!!!

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

You're doing it wrong

As I said in another thread.....

"It's not a straightforward racer, it's anything but. It's never been a straightforward racer. But you hear people complain all over the place about it. From power ups to that absurd "only the last lap counts" complaint.

Mario Kart is a few elements put into one...

1. Racing - Duh

2. Course design - This is the first aspect that people completely miss. Some power ups can be placed around the track to mess up everyone else's race. The people that don't know this are the ones that put one banana peel in the middle of the biggest longest straightaway. The ones who understand it stick that banana peel on the thin rope bridge or on the inside of a tight corner so the other racer/s needs to take the longer way around.

3. Strategy - Everything from timing to use a blue shell to getting a set of three shells and deciding to use them for defense or offensive plans.

The people who don't get all this just don't understand the title. If you're not going around that track with the intent of building a more treacherous course for everyone else while deciding what power up to use and still trying to win the race then you're.....not.....doing......it......right."

The whole thread HERE

ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ozzsoad

You know, it can be unfair and unbalanced at times, but it's still a damn fun game. Don't let a few lost races ruin the game for you, keep on trying.

I said the same thing to myself after a losing streak a few nights ago. I nearly threw my Wii-Mote into the TV I was so mad and frustrated, but you know what, I turned it on again the next day. It's strangely addicting.

If you ever want to relieve some stress, go into VS. mode and change around the options the way you like. You can set it so there aren't any powerful items or no items at all.

Don't give up on the game.

skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 skingus
Member since 2006 • 2370 Posts

You're doing it wrong

"It's not a straightforward racer, it's anything but. It's never been a straightforward racer. But you hear people complain all over the place about it. From power ups to that absurd "only the last lap counts" complaint.

1. Racing - Duh

2. Course design - This is the first aspect that people completely miss. Some power ups can be placed around the track to mess up everyone else's race. The people that don't know this are the ones that put one banana peel in the middle of the biggest longest straightaway. The ones who understand it stick that banana peel on the thin rope bridge or on the inside of a tight corner so the other racer/s needs to take the longer way around.

3. Strategy - Everything from timing to use a blue shell to getting a set of three shells and deciding to use them for defense or offensive plans.

The people who don't get all this just don't understand the title. If you're not going around that track with the intent of building a more treacherous course for everyone else while deciding what power up to use and still trying to win the race then you're.....not.....doing......it......right."

The whole thread HERE

Jaysonguy

While I do think luck plays a part in this game, Jasonguy pretty much nailed it. Strategy is what makes you win MORE than you lose. Still, don't take the game to seriously, just have fun. I can laugh about it even when I lose. With this type of game you have to.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jaysonguy

Still, don't take the game to seriously, just have fun. I can laugh about it even when I lose. With this type of game you have to.

skingus

I agree with this tenfold

I was in first today and almost to the finish line and I heard that blue shell coming and I KNEW it was going to hit me before I crossed and it did and then three Karts went right on to place in the top three leaving 4th for myself. While it ticked me off it also made me laugh like "Oh Murhy's Law right there" lol

AguFightingOxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AguFightingOxy
Member since 2005 • 75 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

You're doing it wrong

1. Racing - Duh

The whole thread HERE

skingus

While I do think luck plays a part in this game, Jasonguy pretty much nailed it. Strategy is what makes you win MORE than you lose. Still, don't take the game to seriously, just have fun. I can laugh about it even when I lose. With this type of game you have to.

Unless your life is on the line, you should never take any game serious, no matter how good it is. This whole attitude of taking game serious has kind of put games in a "competitive" dark age.

That being said, alot of Nintendo games are based on a combination of strategy/luck. Someone may consider Mario party to be very luck based, but after playing it long enough, you can figure out how to use each aspect of the game to help you win and cause your opponents to lose. This is true with all competitive nintendo games, Mario Kart, Smash brothers, and so on and so forth.

I get so sick of reading people whine about items in mario kart and brawl. To me its more impressive to see someone actually avoid the item, which most items in both games are totally avoidable, then whine and just turn them off. It takes more skill to dodge something thats there then to just shut it off all together.

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gregbmil
[QUOTE="skingus"]

Still, don't take the game to seriously, just have fun. I can laugh about it even when I lose. With this type of game you have to.

Jaysonguy

I was in first today and almost to the finish line and I heard that blue shell coming and I KNEW it was going to hit me before I crossed and it did and then three Karts went right on to place in the top three leaving 4th for myself. While it ticked me off it also made me laugh like "Oh Murhy's Law right there" lol

Yeah, but it's kind of hard to laugh when your in 1st the whole time until right before the finish line you get hit by a couple red shells and then you get stuck by lightning and it's always right before the finish line.

I mean I used to laugh at it, but now it's just making me mad at how random it all is. Also have you noticed how you can't see what items the other charaters have like in some off the other ones. I think it's because the cpu just thoughs whatever it takes to mess you up.

ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ozzsoad
[QUOTE="skingus"]

Jaysonguy

Well, honestly that probably wouldn't make me laugh(I'm sure I've scared a few neighbors in my apartment), nor the points I'll have lost, but I still keep on playing oddly enough.

It keeps on pulling me back in even after I lose, even after yelling "I hate this game, what the hell has Nintendo done to my Mario Kart! **** you Blue Shells!", I keep on playing.

As long as I can keep above 5000 VR, I'm happy. :)

waz-za

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 waz-za
Member since 2008 • 185 Posts
i lost like 500 points once because of the unbalanced items its very annoying but i got it back up at 7000+ horay for salvation!
linkoot98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 linkoot98
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts
Pow block = no fun.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="skingus"]

gregbmil

Yeah, but it's kind of hard to laugh when your in 1st the whole time until right before the finish line you get hit by a couple red shells and then you get stuck by lightning and it's always right before the finish line.

I mean I used to laugh at it, but now it's just making me mad at how random it all is. Also have you noticed how you can't see what items the other charaters have like in some off the other ones. I think it's because the cpu just thoughs whatever it takes to mess you up.

If that was true no one would ever win a race against the CPU

In every single player race you participate in you have three tiers of opponents.

Top Tier - 2 to 4 racers who boost at the start of the races and who usually finsih somewhere in the top three spots in every race.

Middle Tier - 2 to 4 racers who also boost at the star of races and place in the middle of every race

Bottom Tier - The rest of the field who are there as filler and to screw with you by being a blockade rather then a worthy racer. They cause you more problems by being inept rather then trying to outpace them.

WolfWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 WolfWatch
Member since 2007 • 882 Posts
In single player, I found you can win about any race if you, stay in the back until you get a bullet bill, move up to somewhere around 6th-3rd (just not far from 1st), and then on the last lap, about 6/7 before the last lap is over, use bullet bill, and he should take you up about 4-5 places. Just be careful of people behind you. If you hear a star, or big guy, or something that can make you loose your item, get out of the way cause they are aiming right at you. Multiplayer? If you get a good lead then their is a good chance you will win.
trippola77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 trippola77
Member since 2008 • 34 Posts

It might be unbalanced, but its still fun. Its all about strategy. If your in first place be sure to bring out banna peels or shells and put them on your back. This way if a ed turtle shell of something comes after you you banana peel will take the hit.

IronManRhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 IronManRhino
Member since 2005 • 2135 Posts
Mario Kart has always been 50% skill, and 50% luck, where you been?
effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 effthat
Member since 2007 • 2314 Posts

There is a bit of luck involved and going from 1st to 9th in 2seconds after a dozen weapons are released upon you is frustrating. That being said, that is part of the game and knowing when and how to use weapons to counteract those things is an important part of MK and is part of why it is loved as much as it is. If you play it as a pure racer, you will get slaughtered. If you play it all about getting the weapons then you'll still lose. If you take the time to learn the game and the track and really leverage the game mechanics then you will win regularly and it will be a blast!

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
No I don't think it's unfair because if your skilled you can dodge every item except for the blue shell.
santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 santiagochile
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts

When I first got MK I thought it was easily the best one, but last night I just realized how unfair and how unbalanced the game is because of the items. It always seems on the 3rd lap you just get pounded by random items and it takes out all the fun.

gregbmil

Mario Kart has always been like that and it will always be like that. It's a game about having fun, not always winning. Sometimes you will be cheated from winning by online people or CPU opponents using items against you. So what, next time, get those people or computer opponents back by using those same weapons. Mario Kart is as much about using weapons to battle people as it is about racing. If you want a pure racer, try a different game.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
It's an awesome game but I do admit it can be frustrating, I usually come first 2nd or 3 rd in every race, but there are some tracks, usually shorter ones like Luig Circuit, where you'll lead, and in the last second someone uses a blue shell, and BAM you come dead last. Kind of annoying when you get to like 7000+ points because you lose like 200 points, but you only get like 50 when you win. The scoring system is weird in it.
gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gregbmil

Mario Kart has always been 50% skill, and 50% luck, where you been?IronManRhino

this one is way more luck then all the other ones!!!, where have you been?

jt4mtb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jt4mtb
Member since 2003 • 2352 Posts

No I don't think it's unfair because if your skilled you can dodge every item except for the blue shell.Minishdriveby

That must be some skill if you can dodge lightning.

ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ozzsoad

No I don't think it's unfair because if your skilled you can dodge every item except for the blue shell.Minishdriveby

Wait, how are you able to dodge the POW and Lightening all the time? You can't exactly make a ramp appear out of nowhere.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]No I don't think it's unfair because if your skilled you can dodge every item except for the blue shell.ozzsoad

Wait, how are you able to dodge the POW and Lightening all the time? You can't exactly make a ramp appear out of nowhere.

I make ramps out of post it's and stick them to the TV every time a POW block shows up but I still get POW'd :(

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
[QUOTE="ozzsoad"]

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]No I don't think it's unfair because if your skilled you can dodge every item except for the blue shell.Jaysonguy

I make ramps out of post it's and stick them to the TV every time a POW block shows up but I still get POW'd :(

You can actually dodge POW's sort of though. Lightening is undogeable as far as I knew, unless you are going over a CPU controlled ramp, like cannons and the star launch thing from Rainbow Road.

supreuph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 supreuph
Member since 2007 • 654 Posts

But isn't the unbalanced nature of the game the reason why both Gamespot and IGN gave it 8.5? They told you that it wasn't fair, especially on 150cc. This is how Nintendo makes the game fun for everybody. You gotta love it...

...or not.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I dont mind the items, i just hate the blue shell. The way they had it in the N64 was better than the newer games. It went on the ground and hit anyone infront of you, not it just hits first place or people around first place.
cheese59012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cheese59012
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
dude! come on this game rocks
ninjabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ninjabe
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Of course Mario Kart is unfair. Haven't you played the rest of the series? That is the beauty of it. You can be in first the entire race and drop to 12th in sight of the finish line. It is probably the most frustrating game ever created. For that reason, it is also probably the best racer ever. Nothing feels better than robbing your opponent right at the finish line.

If you can't handle a little unfairness you should look elsewhere. I think the Olsen twins have a racing game that sounds perfect for you.

air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#28 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts
Mario Kart is a funfair for me :)
yowvapa2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 yowvapa2
Member since 2008 • 209 Posts

It does not help that we are seeing more powerful items causing imbalance issues, but since there are now 12 racers per race, as opposed to eight in previous games, this increases the chances of seeing the powerful items. I remembered playing a race on 150cc and was shocked that I saw two Bullet Bills pass by me, seconds separating each other. I never saw this in Mario Kart DS or in Double-Dash!.

Revengeman2560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 Revengeman2560
Member since 2005 • 965 Posts
I remember in previous Mario Kart games, CPU players using blue shells and red shells were strictly for 100cc and 150/Extra races. Thats the way it should of stayed, 50cc is supposed 2 be for beginners, but nintendo ruined it by allowing the use of blue/red shells by cpu players in GP mode. This is my opinion
Eliteshadow413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Eliteshadow413
Member since 2009 • 47 Posts

The lack of equality with the items makes the game spontaneous giving me just a good a chance as anyone on here to beat you it's all luck depending on your item its actually more fair but I see why you would be tight about it....8)

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Where do you people find all of these old threads?
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

gregbmil
Actually I agree, even the review on gamespot comments that the whacky items upset the balance slightly, but its nothing that cant be coped with I think
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#34 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Sometimes it may seem unfair but usually it all comes down to skill, strategy, and wise usage of items in the end.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#35 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

What the hell? I just noticed most of these posts are form 2008!:o