Mario Kart Review Discussion - keep it all here! *GS review is up!*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

With Mario Kart Wii's release finally within a week in North America, more and more reviews will be popping up. Although we pretty much know how great the game is (thanks to our European friends), we'll still want to talk about what the American reviewers think about the game.

Please keep all MKWii review discussion in this thread. We don't need a bunch of new threads being created about the same handful of reviews. Most of you know the drill here. New threads about a Mario Kart review will be locked.

I'll try to keep this thread updated with links to the major reviews. If you know of any reviews that I missed, post a link in this thread.

Reviews so far

• Gamespot - 8.5
  • IGN - 8.5
  • Gametrailers - 8.4
hazbazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 hazbazz
Member since 2005 • 7709 Posts
FIRST!

I think Gamespot will give it an 8.0 or 8.5
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
i predict a 7.5
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Matt CassasaI'mahackanddon'tdeserevemyjob's review is totally off base at the end

He doesn't like the core gameplay because of shells and stuff. Well that's the game you big black hole of talent!

Looks like a great game that gets all the important things right.

hazbazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hazbazz

Matt CassasaI'mahackanddon'tdeserevemyjob's review is totally off base at the end

He doesn't like the core gameplay because of shells and stuff. Well that's the game you big black hole of talent!

Jaysonguy
Jay, he gave it an 8.5, how is atht something to complain about?
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JordanElek
The Gamespot editorial guys seem to absolutely love this game, so I don't see it scoring below an 8.0. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 9.0, in all honesty, though I think that's the absolute highest it could get. From what I understand, it's just a really fun, quality game with only a few issues that might detract from the fun. This kind of game usually scores pretty high at GS.
_Olimar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 _Olimar
Member since 2008 • 300 Posts
I think it will be a 9.0 on GS
hazbazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hazbazz
The Gamespot editorial guys seem to absolutely love this game, so I don't see it scoring below an 8.0. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 9.0, in all honesty, though I think that's the absolute highest it could get. From what I understand, it's just a really fun, quality game with only a few issues that might detract from the fun. This kind of game usually scores pretty high at GS.JordanElek
But Gamespot also don't seem to like it when a game doesn't change all that much from the rest of the series. Do you think they might knock MK down a peg for that?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

hazbazz

Is that his score or the first review's score? Or did they do the "we pretend we have other reviewers but then someone can come and tweak it however they wish" deal again like Obscure?

I don't like this part......

"The other issue relates to a design choice that Nintendo has backed for years, one that die-hard fans will probably back forever, too, and one that I feel is stupid, anyway. I'm referring, of course, to the manner in which you advance through the higher difficulty single-player courses -- a good deal of skill, but just as much luck. You can be zipping through a 150cc stage without a single error and well ahead of every other competitor when, seemingly out of nowhere, bam! Blue shell. Lightning bolt. One cheesy last-ditch effort after another by unfair AI-controlled components. And suddenly you've gone from first place to eighth by no fault of your own. You don't even have a defense against these items -- that is, unless you consider praying that your cheap AI competitors don't decide to rob you of a victory."

Well that's the gameplay

The game is designed to work like that. If you don't like that then maybe Matt CassaI'mnotsureexactlywhileIworkhereIhopeweneverhaveevaluationsorI'mout should pick another game. That's like him looking at a Mario game and saying "I'm not down with all that jumping" then avoid the game! Don't grade it lower because it has an element that works perfectly but isn't your cup of tea.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JordanElek

But Gamespot also don't seem to like it when a game doesn't change all that much from the rest of the series. Do you think they might knock MK down a peg for that?hazbazz

I don't know about that really, since I haven't played it. It seems to me like it is different from Double Dash, at least. It brings back some of the best aspects of the older MK games and mixes them with the good things from the newer ones (like Mario Kart DS, especially). Plus there's the Wii Wheel and motorcycles to add some completely new twists to the gameplay. I don't think staleness will be an issue with this one, based on what I've seen and read (which isn't much, in all honesty).

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nintendo-4life
The Gamespot editorial guys seem to absolutely love this game, so I don't see it scoring below an 8.0. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 9.0, in all honesty, though I think that's the absolute highest it could get. From what I understand, it's just a really fun, quality game with only a few issues that might detract from the fun. This kind of game usually scores pretty high at GS.JordanElek
hmm really? did you see that on on the spot or something? i mean where did you get the positive vibe exactly? would you kindly link me please?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="hazbazz"]But Gamespot also don't seem to like it when a game doesn't change all that much from the rest of the series. Do you think they might knock MK down a peg for that?JordanElek

I don't know about that really, since I haven't played it. It seems to me like it is different from Double Dash, at least. It brings back some of the best aspects of the older MK games and mixes them with the good things from the newer ones (like Mario Kart DS, especially). Plus there's the Wii Wheel and motorcycles to add some completely new twists to the gameplay. I don't think staleness will be an issue with this one, based on what I've seen and read (which isn't much, in all honesty).

I have the same viewpoint

While Gamespot usually doesn't like games that are rehashed this version of Mario Kart seems like they fixed what was wrong, got rid of a lot of stuff they were experimenting with in Double Dash, added to the game perfectly with content, and polished it all online and off.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JordanElek

The game is designed to work like that. If you don't like that then maybe Matt CassaI'mnotsureexactlywhileIworkhereIhopeweneverhaveevaluationsorI'mout should pick another game. That's like him looking at a Mario game and saying "I'm not down with all that jumping" then avoid the game! Don't grade it lower because it has an element that works perfectly but isn't your cup of tea.Jaysonguy

Gamespot did the same thing with Mario Party 8. "It relies too much on chance." That's just part of the gameplay. That's what a lot of people find fun about the game. Nintendo could've added the option for no items like in Brawl, but that seems to go against the spirit of the game. It's not a kart racing sim. They could've added weapons to Gran Turismo to appeal to the more "fun" crowd, but it just doesn't make sense to do that.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JordanElek

hmm really? did you see that on on the spot or something? i mean where did you get the positive vibe exactly? would you kindly link me please?nintendo-4life

Yep, they demoed the Japanese version on On the Spot last week. I've also picked up hints from some of the editors, like Lark Anderson, that they're just fans of the series in general. I'm putting two and two together here, basically. ;)

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Yeah they really enjoyed it on the OnTheSpot episode.

Whatever, as long as it doesnt get 6.4'd (6.5) like MK64, i happy.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jaysonguy

it just doesn't make sense to do that.

JordanElek

Exactly

If a reviewer doesn't like the gameplay but it's done well it should be reviewed on how well it's done, not how the reviewer doesn't like that particular style. The reviewers taste shouldn't even come into play.

THere was no need for that blurb of what he sees with a fault in the game if it's done correctly. If it was full of glitches then he could write about it.

That's like you look at a house I built and it's British Colonial and it's magnificent, but you hate those and love ranches. You review part of the house comparing it to the things you wish a British Colonial had in common with a ranch.

It just doesn't make sense

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JordanElek

Whatever, as long as it doesnt get 6.4'd (6.5) like MK64, i happy.Haziqonfire

I still don't understand to this day how MK64 got so low of a score. Almost everyone I know still loves that game. It has its problems, but it's still incredibly fun. The review doesn't really explain why it got such a low score, just that it isn't as good as the SNES version and could've been so much better. The reviewer said it wouldn't last you a week, but I still played MK64 with a bunch of people a year ago. It lasted about a decade.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nintendo-4life

[QUOTE="nintendo-4life"]hmm really? did you see that on on the spot or something? i mean where did you get the positive vibe exactly? would you kindly link me please?JordanElek

Yep, they demoed the Japanese version on On the Spot last week. I've also picked up hints from some of the editors, like Lark Anderson, that they're just fans of the series in general. I'm putting two and two together here, basically. ;)

well if that's the case then i'm changing my prdiction to 8.0 :D .... but may god have mercy on you because you're sure getting none from me if the score really is 7.5 :evil:

talkingpie92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 talkingpie92
Member since 2006 • 502 Posts
I have the game and I think the IGN review got it pretty much spot on - it is so frustrating when you're coming first and get hit by the squid thing, a blue shell and then a spiky shell all at once and then end up last. It is really good though. Although taking out co-op grand-prix was a bad idea, the addition of splitscreen online is great and is so much fun.
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts
I think it'll be 8.5 or 9. The game is more similar to Mario Kart DS which got 9.2 and MKWii really seems to improve upon it
SNESGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SNESGOD
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Whatever, as long as it doesnt get 6.4'd (6.5) like MK64, i happy.JordanElek

I still don't understand to this day how MK64 got so low of a score. Almost everyone I know still loves that game. It has its problems, but it's still incredibly fun. The review doesn't really explain why it got such a low score, just that it isn't as good as the SNES version and could've been so much better. The reviewer said it wouldn't last you a week, but I still played MK64 with a bunch of people a year ago. It lasted about a decade.

This review of MARIO KART 64 from almost 10 years ago just goes to prove how ridiculous it is to put all your emphasis on reviews,.... now like anybody else,.. I, like the next person, read reviews for pure curiosity,..... but reading this recent review of MARIO KART WII just makes me laugh!!!

Listen Mr Reviewer,... if you don't enjoy MKWII, then thats your loss, mate,.... it is by far & away the best online experience my family & I have had,.. its fun, accessible & last but not least, the replay value is infinite,.. I'm still playing MARIO KART 64 & DOUBLE DASH after all these years,.... and the same will go for MARIO KART WII,.....

So,... Mr reviewer for MKWII,... wahtever you say is meaningles to me,... so tough!!! Next please,.....

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
The AI and dependence on chance seem to be worse than ever of Mario Kart Wii,judging from the IGN review.:? It was a major annoyance in some of the previous Mario Karts,and I'm a bit disappointed Nintendo didn't find a proper balance in it for the latest installment.
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#24 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts
The AI and dependence on chance seem to be worse than ever of Mario Kart Wii,judging from the IGN review.:? It was a major annoyance in some of the previous Mario Karts,and I'm a bit disappointed Nintendo didn't find a proper balance in it for the latest installment.VGobbsesser
it actually helps this game. in the older ones it was still easy as hell to win 1st place in 150cc so this will make it better
bbtcbbtc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bbtcbbtc
Member since 2005 • 1028 Posts
it will probably get a 9.0 maybe even 9.5 if were lucky
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

hazbazz

Jaysonguy will allows find something to complain about.

8.5? Too low.

10? Too high.

9-9.5? Too fair.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JordanElek

it will probably get a 9.0 maybe even 9.5 if were luckybbtcbbtc

If we're lucky? It's not like the game's going to be better if Gamespot gives it a better score. ;) It could get a 7.5 and still be exactly the same game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
Member since 2005 • 6504 Posts
I really don't care about review scores. This is one I absolutely need to play before I buy. If it handles like the DS version, I'll pass.
chansaet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 chansaet
Member since 2003 • 6280 Posts
AA here most likely. I'm am looking forward to using wii wheel.
bbtcbbtc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bbtcbbtc
Member since 2005 • 1028 Posts

[QUOTE="bbtcbbtc"]it will probably get a 9.0 maybe even 9.5 if were luckyJordanElek

If we're lucky? It's not like the game's going to be better if Gamespot gives it a better score. ;) It could get a 7.5 and still be exactly the same game.

i know but a better score gives MK a better repuataion so ya.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JordanElek

i know but a better score gives MK a better repuataion so ya. bbtcbbtc

Mario Kart 64 got a 6.4, and it still has a great reputation. In the long run, review scores don't mean anything. The review itself is only meant to help potential buyers make smarter decisions. Attributing anything more than that to it is pointless.

omgburgerking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 omgburgerking
Member since 2007 • 184 Posts
Does anyone know the arrival date rather than the shipping date for this game in the U.S? Because it's happened to me with mario kart ds and GoW:CoO where I went to the store on the shipping date not getting the game. Thanks in advance.
DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts
I'm guessing 7.5-8.0. If 150cc is as hard as people have said then it will loose big points here. Making my guess based on the reviews that FE:RD and Castlevania DXC got. But in the end I guess it doesn't matter because I'll probably get it no matter what.
Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts

[QUOTE="bbtcbbtc"]i know but a better score gives MK a better repuataion so ya. JordanElek

Mario Kart 64 got a 6.4, and it still has a great reputation. In the long run, review scores don't mean anything. The review itself is only meant to help potential buyers make smarter decisions. Attributing anything more than that to it is pointless.

Very true, I honestly believe the Mario Kart 64 was the best after the DS. But I agree, reviews mean nothing.

Avatar image for TwilightSoilder
TwilightSoilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TwilightSoilder
Member since 2007 • 1831 Posts
I'm getting a little worried about how good MKWii will be. -_- It hasn't been getting the best reviews but then again it we haven't gotten to many yet. Judging from IGN's review MKWii will be good but I was hoping it would be better. Either way I plan on getting it.
Ernieboii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ernieboii
Member since 2008 • 187 Posts
i predict a score of 8.5 - 9, probably because of the team battle mode, even I think its dumb how theres only team:evil: why cant nintendo give us choices and all???
Avatar image for deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
Member since 2004 • 16051 Posts

i`m not sure if this goes here.. but maybe all MK goes here as well and would like to avoid mod.. so..

Do you guys know if that score glitch got fix??

btw: yea.. I do not see GS giving it less than 8.0 I mean did you guys saw the love for the game at On The Spot?? :P

Nes705

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Nes705
Member since 2004 • 222 Posts
I'm guessing it will be around an 8.5
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Mario Kart Wii will definitely score an 8.5 or 9.0 here.
skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 skingus
Member since 2006 • 2370 Posts

Jaysonguy

Bozon reviewed this one???? Right?

skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 skingus
Member since 2006 • 2370 Posts

The AI and dependence on chance seem to be worse than ever of Mario Kart Wii,judging from the IGN review.:? It was a major annoyance in some of the previous Mario Karts,and I'm a bit disappointed Nintendo didn't find a proper balance in it for the latest installment.VGobbsesser

Yeah, to be honest,i'd rather have a game be slightly too easy than cheap. Nothing worse than cheap AI.

keano3333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 keano3333
Member since 2006 • 99 Posts

Having just completed the single player with my nephew using his mii(a fair likeness and all). We watched the end credits and there he was, a huge statue of him on the side of a course, that alone was worth beating the SP. The smile on his face, priceless.

I then took to the online on my own and can't put the game down it's a winner in the online department and will keep me going for a long time. Anyone with worries about the game like I had( after reading IGN's previews ) will be quickly forgotten, this game is FUN. Forget about scores they're not going to let you know how much fun this game is.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

skingus

Bozon reviewed this one???? Right?

When you read the entire piece you also see Matt CassaNowMarioistheguyinthegreenrightandhisbrother'stheredone section at the end.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#44 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Whatever, as long as it doesnt get 6.4'd (6.5) like MK64, i happy.JordanElek

yeah i know, it lasted me a long time, but i recently lost the cartridge, but i downloaded it on VC.
frozenthino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 frozenthino
Member since 2005 • 9741 Posts

I've always complained in the previous mario kart about how AI wasnt able to use items effectively

so I'm satisfied with this game's single player , multiplayer is as awesome and fun as always , even more wit the ability to 4players GP

gotta try the online as soon as I get wi-fi

ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ozzsoad
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

Seems like a fair score from IGN. I really can't wait to play online. They sure praised the hell out of this game's online features which is a nice surprise.

No matter what, I'm getting the game. As long as it's better than Double Dash, I'll be happy.

movin_target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47 movin_target
Member since 2005 • 3412 Posts

Matt CassasaI'mahackanddon'tdeserevemyjob

Jaysonguy
*Chris Griffen laugh* Do another one! On topic I predict an 8 from GS
Maropo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Maropo
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

All I can really say is that IGN's review is quite accurate for the most part. I'd have given it a 9.0 instead of that 8.5 though. The reviewer gets unfortunate when he mentions the "shell mechanism" as a bad thing. Well, this was always a core element in the series. You cannot substitute it like that. Its sacrilegious.

For ALL THE AMERICANS OUT THERE, do NOT miss this game. Its great fun and the online experience is EXCELLENT - although constantly frustrating as well! Lol. It easily inducts you to addiction (especially when you start winning... haha). No lag, disconections or whatever, just some excellent and very disputed online FUN! The new courses are, for the most part, beautiful, colourful and joyful (yeah, lots of "fuls" here, heh, but it deserves them).

There is also a large portion of nostalgic feelings with the old revamped courses from the SNES/GAMEBOY/N64/GCN/DS versions! Almost all great places to run on. The songs are also great (imo). They almost always fit the main theme of the course and give it a good mood and feeling. The real pain in the ass is called "team deathmatch"... there is no free-for-all madness here (a real shame).

There is a feeling of too much online emphasys this time around, giving it a vacuum sensation for me sometimes. But overall, the online game is so lag-free, well organized, simple, fast and efficient that you could never give this game anything less than an 8.5 if only for the fun factor alone. Its, overall, an excellent game. No doubt. Once you start running online, you'll be soon addicted. You have my word on that. :)

I'd give it a 9 out of 10. One of the very best Mario Karts ever. Capiche? 8)

Lunar52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#49 Lunar52
Member since 2006 • 2538 Posts
I am predicting 8.0-8.5 from GameSpot.
TheAcejoel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

#50 TheAcejoel99
Member since 2008 • 1059 Posts

I don't know why it got an 8.5 on IGN.......bozon!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm SOOOOOOOOOOO mad I don't think I'm going to buy it. I'm getting okami instead. And whatever IGN gives a game, subtract 0.5 or 1.0 and thats what G-spot is going to give it.