Mario Kart 8 first update details

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

This is great news. Japan and the US are getting the first Mario Kart 8 update on August 27th. The rest of us will probably get it at a similar date.

• map display on the TV screen
  • 3 free Mercedes-Benz karts: GLA, W25 Silver Arrow, 300 SL Roadster
  • records screen w/ total coins, online win-loss record, character selection rates, etc.
  • improved online stability
  • default menu selection following GP changing to next race
  • last used kart customization added to save
  • edit others' highlights

Sources:

• https://twitter.com/Nintendo translated by https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k
  • http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=234583 (summary was from here)
  • http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/08/06/mario-kart-8-mercedes-car-dlc-hits-this-month-with-update

==============================================

I'm really glad Nintendo are fixing some of those small details (menu layout, save last kart, more general stats, on screen map). Looks like they are listening, and I hope they continue to update the game. Also digging the karts.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

Small fixes don't make up for huge flaws.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I think it was ridiculous that some of these updates weren't in the original product. I mean, no maps and no race date? Are you serious? At least it's finally being resolved though.

Our update better soon follow Japan's update though...

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 trugs26

@yokofox33: Well it did have a map, just badly implemented (it appeared on the gamepad instead of the TV, which is impossible to look at in a frantic game like Mario Kart 8). Also, what do you mean by "no race date"? But I agree in general, it's annoying that these things weren't in game in the first place. But I appreciate that they're putting the time in to acknowledge these issues and fix them. I prefer to look at this more positively. Here's hoping they continue to fix the other issues though.

@Star0: Huge flaws? I'm a big critic of Mario Kart 8, and even I acknowledge that MK8 consists of many small issues, not "huge" issues.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#5 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Now we need some Battle Mode content. Some arenas to fight in would be nice.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By trugs26

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Now we need some Battle Mode content. Some arenas to fight in would be nice.

Definitely agree. I hope the next update is more to do with tracks at least anyway. Personally I'd prefer normal racing tracks, but I would welcome battle arenas too. Also one more update to fix some other minor problems too.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Star0

@trugs26: Anemic number of tracks + barebones unrewarding online = huge flaws

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By trugs26

@Star0 said:

@trugs26: Anemic number of tracks + barebones unrewarding online = huge flaws

I guess it's a matter of perspective, but I completely disagree.

The number of tracks is standard in the franchise, and has more than other racers like Sonic Racing (around 21 tracks) and LBP Karting (mostly just user created with a few built in) and ModNation Racers (31 tracks). Though the last two contain track editors which is another story, and LBP Karting has its own issues with a bad interface for editing - again, another story. So overall, I wouldn't call this a negative, it seems very standard (or possibly above average), and definitely not a "huge floor".

In regards to barebones unrewarding online, sure there aren't many features. But the fact that online is a ton of fun negates the lack of features as a "huge flaw". I'd call the set of features to add are a bunch of minor flaws. Yes it should get these features, but without it, it's not like it's breaking the game or making the game not fun.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Star0

@trugs26: I'm not going to change my opinion just because you disgaree. The game is barebones. My taste differs from you.

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts
@Star0 said:

@trugs26: I'm not going to change my opinion just because you disgaree. The game is barebones. My taste differs from you.

I doubt he was trying to force you to change your opinion in the first place.

Btw, how many tracks do you think are needed to make the game less "barebones"?

I have yet to personally play the game for an extended period of time and will not likely get the game as I already have Mario Kart 7, so I sadly cannot give my take on the game.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

The patch pretty much fixes my issues with the Game. Now if we can get some HD MK64 battle arena DLC

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

@trugs26: I meant race data.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

@trugs26 said:

@Star0: Huge flaws? I'm a big critic of Mario Kart 8, and even I acknowledge that MK8 consists of many small issues, not "huge" issues.

I would consider the crappy battle mode to be a huge flaw since battle mode is half of Mario Kart. They really need to release some real battle arenas as DLC. It doesn't even have to be new battle arenas; I would be happy if they just release some classic battle arenas like Block Fort and Double Deck.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 trugs26

@starwolf474 said:

@trugs26 said:

I would consider the crappy battle mode to be a huge flaw since battle mode is half of Mario Kart. They really need to release some real battle arenas as DLC. It doesn't even have to be new battle arenas; I would be happy if they just release some classic battle arenas like Block Fort and Double Deck.

Yeah true, I'll accept that as a huge flaw. I personally don't care for battle mode, but I appreciate that other people do, and I can understand how this is a huge flaw for that mode. For the rest of the game though, I don't think there are huge flaws.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts
  • Added new feature that can display the course map on the TV screen.
  • Changed default choice to "Next Race" instead of "View highlight" in the menu that appears after the race of the Grand Prix.

I really appreciate these two fixes.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Honestly I just think this is a Mercedes promo mainly and not an actual Nintendo DLC update for this game. It's just not enough added although I can't really complain as it's all free. I just hope the next update includes some real Mario Kart additions. Keep the Mercedes Karts Balanced also.

A few things that need to be addressed:

1. Battle Mode Specific arenas

2. Removal of Fire Hopping Glitch

3. Addition of Stages/Cars/Characters/Items

4. Coins appear rate dropped some when item box is acquired.

5. Ability to delete, edit and modify tournaments.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By trugs26

@nini200 said:

No, that's the worst thing you could do to the game. MK8 is one of the least skillful Mario Kart's. Once Fire Hopping was found, it added a slight skill-gap. This is a technical move that can actually be difficult to pull off in online races (it can cause you to go off course). If you pull it off, you deserve to be slightly further ahead.

Note that in previous Mario Kart games, there have been many different things you could do to improve your performance. For example, in MK7, if you drifted a certain way, and released your drift during a certain animation, you maintain your top speed. Not many people know about this, and the media didn't report it, because it isn't as obvious or "catchy" as "fire hopping". The fact of the matter is that these things exist in all of these games, and are good for those who want to be a more skillful player.This is simply adding to the skill gap. If a skill-gap doesn't exist then Mario Kart feels really pointless to a lot of players. For those more casual, you can still have fun online because these skillful things only add a minor amount, and are negated a lot by the hectic items.

I agree with the rest of your points though. Personally I hope they fix the item balance. The algorithm used in the game is a bit whack.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

oh this is great. Its like they listened to us.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@trugs26 said:

@nini200 said:

No, that's the worst thing you could do to the game. MK8 is one of the least skillful Mario Kart's. Once Fire Hopping was found, it added a slight skill-gap. This is a technical move that can actually be difficult to pull off in online races (it can cause you to go off course). If you pull it off, you deserve to be slightly further ahead.

You lost your right to participate in this conversation

The game is broken, if you think that broken is a good thing you're done

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By trugs26
@Jaysonguy said:

@trugs26 said:

@nini200 said:

Please enlighten me on how exactly the game is "broken"? Last I checked, people are still playing the game online. Even if you're concerned about people breaching the skill gap, there is match making anyway. Furthermore, I've raced a lot of highly ranked VR players (7 to 9k) and they still didn't fire hop. Most people in this game don't fire hop, and the ones that try to fire hop usually don't fire hop effectively. This is not like snaking. This is a difficult trick to pull off, especially online where there is a hectic environment. And even if you do pull it off, you get very little gain online. So it's useful and it's not an "auto-win" button either. Again, tell me exactly how it "breaks" a functioning and fun game that's still being played? And what's wrong with adding a little skill to the game?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@trugs26 said:
@Jaysonguy said:

@trugs26 said:

@nini200 said:

Please enlighten me on how exactly the game is "broken"? Last I checked, people are still playing the game online. Even if you're concerned about people breaching the skill gap, there is match making anyway. Furthermore, I've raced a lot of highly ranked VR players (7 to 9k) and they still didn't fire hop. Most people in this game don't fire hop, and the ones that try to fire hop usually don't fire hop effectively. This is not like snaking. This is a difficult trick to pull off, especially online where there is a hectic environment. And even if you do pull it off, you get very little gain online. So it's useful and it's not an "auto-win" button either. Again, tell me exactly how it "breaks" a functioning and fun game that's still being played?

Yeah fire hopping usually is detrimental. I think it's pretty ridiculous actually, I couldn't enjoy the game if I had to be doing it all the time.

I've beaten many people who do it in the 5 - 7000's and up as well.

Using a mushroom while gliding is 1000 times more beneficial than fire hopping..

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 trugs26

@Chozofication: Not sure where you stand on it being removed or not. Seems like you don't like doing it but don't mind others that do since you can still beat them? Or you'd prefer them remove it completely?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@trugs26 said:

@Chozofication: Not sure where you stand on it being removed or not. Seems like you don't like doing it but don't mind others that do since you can still beat them? Or you'd prefer them remove it completely?

They should leave it in, it doesn't matter.

I don't even think it's possible for them to fix it since it isn't a glitch, it's a mechanic so that you get get more of a boost from a mushroom whenever you're gliding in the air, since you don't have tire traction slowing your kart down.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By trugs26

@Chozofication said:

@trugs26 said:

I don't even think it's possible for them to fix it since it isn't a glitch, it's a mechanic so that you get get more of a boost from a mushroom whenever you're gliding in the air, since you don't have tire traction slowing your kart down.

Not sure if I'm on the same page as you. Fire hopping is something you do after a drift, not to do with a mushroom boost or gliding.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@trugs26 said:

@Chozofication said:

@trugs26 said:

Not sure if I'm on the same page as you. Fire hopping is something you do after a drift, not to do with a mushroom boost or gliding.

I know.

You haven't noticed you go faster with boosts while gliding than when you're driving? That's the mechanic that makes fire hopping possible, any time you're in the air you get more out of boosts than on the ground. That's why fire hopping is a thing, to hop off the ground in short bursts and get a minute boost of speed from *any* boost.

So they couldn't get rid of fire hopping even if they wanted to, it's an exploit of that mechanic I explained, not a glitch.

But anyways, it's really not a big deal. If people want to get all excessive and fire hop in a casual game like mario kart, go for it, but it doesn't even remotely make it unfair for anyone who doesn't fire hop.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 trugs26

@Chozofication said:

@trugs26 said:

@Chozofication said:

@trugs26 said:

I know.

You haven't noticed you go faster with boosts while gliding than when you're driving? That's the mechanic that makes fire hopping possible, any time you're in the air you get more out of boosts than on the ground. That's why fire hopping is a thing, to hop off the ground in short bursts and get a minute boost of speed from *any* boost.

So they couldn't get rid of fire hopping even if they wanted to, it's an exploit of that mechanic I explained, not a glitch.

But anyways, it's really not a big deal. If people want to get all excessive and fire hop in a casual game like mario kart, go for it, but it doesn't even remotely make it unfair for anyone who doesn't fire hop.

Oh right, I see what you're saying now.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

awesome changes!

remember people this is just a patch and some minor DLC......when we get some real DLC hopefully it will be more charcaters or tracks.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KBFloYd

you know what i want for the next patch? the ability to save more than just 6 races to my favorites.

only 6 races nintendo? r u kidding me...people will be playing this for years and you can only save 6 games?

ZyroXZ2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29 ZyroXZ2
Member since 2014 • 92 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

you know what i want for the next patch? the ability to save more than just 6 races to my favorites.

only 6 races nintendo? r u kidding me...people will be playing this for years and you can only save 6 games?

Technically, since it keeps a running log of your last 12 races, it's really not that bad...

The favorites is more so that you can save it to upload to MKTV/YouTube later, and then delete it once you've done your deed!

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KBFloYd

looks like the racing score limit has also been raised past 9999.

keep playing veterans ;)

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Using even the most rudimentary definition of the word "broken", MK8 would need to be unplayable but anyone who has played it knows it is fully functioning.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c072abf2e969
deactivated-5c072abf2e969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-5c072abf2e969
Member since 2009 • 249 Posts

They should have fixed this garbage item distribution balance. This game could have been so good, if they just kept MKWii's balance.

As of now the item balance ruins the game. Its essentially garbage.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KBFloYd

@Glutenbob said:

They should have fixed this garbage item distribution balance. This game could have been so good, if they just kept MKWii's balance.

what do you mean? what items are you not getting?

also..

i noticed something else they did in the patch...if you get 6th place it counts as a win now....before it was only up to 3rd or 4th..

maybe those win lose ratios were always negative so they made winning more frequent.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 trugs26

@KBFloYd said:

@Glutenbob said:

also..

i noticed something else they did in the patch...if you get 6th place it counts as a win now....before it was only up to 3rd or 4th..

maybe those win lose ratios were always negative so they made winning more frequent.

I think it's not as simple as that... Not sure yet, but I think there's a formula based on your VR rating and the opponents that distributes your win/loss. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KBFloYd

@trugs26 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Glutenbob said:

also..

I think it's not as simple as that... Not sure yet, but I think there's a formula based on your VR rating and the opponents that distributes your win/loss. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

well i got 6th place and i lost 6 points...so i didnt win at all yet my character was pumping his fist in a winning motion. so i think it counted as a win....it didnt use to happen...if i got 5th or 6th before his head would be down in shame.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 trugs26

@KBFloYd said:

@trugs26 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Glutenbob said:

also..

well i got 6th place and i lost 6 points...so i didnt win at all yet my character was pumping his fist in a winning motion. so i think it counted as a win....it didnt use to happen...if i got 5th or 6th before his head would be down in shame.

You actually don't just get a single win or a loss point added to your score. In a single race, you can get +3 wins added, and +6 losses added, just as an example. Which all depends on your VR score and your opponents VR. In your circumstance, 6th may have counted as (for example) +3 wins and +1 loss, but it's not guaranteed that 6th will always distribute more wins.

I'm still experimenting to figure out the formula.