This is great news. Japan and the US are getting the first Mario Kart 8 update on August 27th. The rest of us will probably get it at a similar date.
- map display on the TV screen
- 3 free Mercedes-Benz karts: GLA, W25 Silver Arrow, 300 SL Roadster
- records screen w/ total coins, online win-loss record, character selection rates, etc.
- improved online stability
- default menu selection following GP changing to next race
- last used kart customization added to save
- edit others' highlights
- https://twitter.com/Nintendo translated by https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k
- http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=234583 (summary was from here)
I'm really glad Nintendo are fixing some of those small details (menu layout, save last kart, more general stats, on screen map). Looks like they are listening, and I hope they continue to update the game. Also digging the karts.