Mario is not the most reconziable video game character in the world....

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

basia77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 basia77
Member since 2006 • 537 Posts
Actually I would believe that. Pac Man kind of started it all in the arcade world. (I am an Arcade manager) Mario on the other hand kind of started it all on the home console front.92GreenYJ
Mario started in the arcade world.
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I kinda disagree and agree with this. :|
The topic says that Mario is NOT the most recognizable video game character in the WORLD, but they only have America's results.
Pac Man is most likely known by anyone who has lived in the 80s and 90s who has seen/played/touched/licked the game. This can be the reason why it beat Mario since it was a huge hit back then. If it comes to worldwide, I say that Mario is the winner. Children below the age of 10 should recognize Mario than Pacman since there's atleast one Mario game per year and there has been very few PacMan games. Not ALL adults will know what PacMan is since most probably never been a gamer, but any adult who has children should know Mario. Also, more people started to play games since the Wii's release, and with the amount of Wii owners worldwide, it's impossible for them to not know Mario.

I'm glad the little yellow guy made it through and became most recognizable in America. I even remember my first time playing Pacman, years before my first mario game, and buying the Collection game for my GBA ( xD ), but Pac Man's fame is slowly dying if new games aren't introduced, and as time passes, less people will know who he is. Pacman will always have a special place in my heart, but future children might not able to experience this...

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#53 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

first, if 94% of america recognizes pacman, i'm pretty sure that includes tons of kids who were born 20 years AFTER pacman was out. now, i'll test my 7-year old cousin and see if he knows who he is.

i showed him this and asked him "do you know what is that?"

http://www.monochrom.at/english/pictures/pacman.PNG

he answered...

"eaty-eaty", which is a cute name people gave to pacman around here :P

GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 GAMESHARQ
Member since 2008 • 5988 Posts
I'm not really surprised by this information. Pac-Man is huge and has been around longer.
Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts

I also disagree with that. Basically anyone not born in the 70's or 80's is going to have no clue whatsoever who pacman is, pacman really hasn't starred in anything remotely big in a couple of decades.

Pixel-Pirate
Pacman hasn't been in anything major lately, that's true. But Pacman is on like every cellphone, or can be Downloaded on every cellphone, in the entire freakin' world. When I go to my local T-mobile store, there's a huge poster of video game images with Pacman right in the middle. Just because there hasn't been anything new with Pacman in 20 years doesn't mean the game isn't getting any exposure these days.
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#56 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

[QUOTE="chefstubbies"]

[QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

...what? 20's or 30's? Keep going, bud. 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's. Teh Pac-Man has been around a long while, and has entertained several generations then everyone's favorite plumber.

farrell2k

True, however the thing is not about length of time, but recognizable which one is.

Anyone who recognizes Pacman will recognize Mario as well.

But not everyone who recognizes Mario will recognize Pacman.

You make no sense.

I apologize, but I can't dumb down my opinion any further for you to understand...

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

Kids may know Mario better, but every other generation of non-gamers knows Pac Man.

LittleEnid
kids? you know how old is super mario bross already? you know, the game that pretty much single handlely recovered the crash of the industry.I was there and im not really a kid.I think most of the world population is 30 or under, and even for those above 30, im sure mario is pretty recognizable due to the 80ths parents purchasing mario for their kids.So put it this way, mario is known among kids up to 30 and then beyond. Pac man at the other hand , is just barely remembered by 30s and above. So by using venn diagrams, theres no way this stance holds strong. After all elderly are a minority in the world population to both.
Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
[QUOTE="LittleEnid"]

Kids may know Mario better, but every other generation of non-gamers knows Pac Man.

intro94
kids? you know how old is super mario bross already? you know, the game that pretty much single handlely recovered the crash of the industry.I was there and im not really a kid.I think most of the world population is 30 or under, and even for those above 30, im sure mario is pretty recognizable due to the 80ths parents purchasing mario for their kids.So put it this way, mario is known among kids up to 30 and then beyond. Pac man at the other hand , is just barely remembered by 30s and above. So by using venn diagrams, theres no way this stance holds strong. After all elderly are a minority in the world population to both.

This whole "Kids don't know who pacman is" argument doesn't really hold water. My daughter is 3 and she knows how pacman is. She plays it on my wife's G1 phone, she says "pacman! when we cut the first slice of a pie, etc, etc. Everyone knows pacman. If they don't, they will be introduced to him some how, either by their parents, and older sibling, a friend, or simply browsing a list of cell phone games to download.
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 chefstubbies

[QUOTE="Irondale"][QUOTE="chefstubbies"]

True, however the thing is not about length of time, but recognizable which one is.

Anyone who recognizes Pacman will recognize Mario as well.

But not everyone who recognizes Mario will recognize Pacman.

XenoLair

I'm almost 14, and I would say the opposite of the recognize thing...

You dont recognize Mario? You know.. the plumber? He's right, If you recognize PacMan you will know who Mario is. Cause he did make a greater impact on the world than pac man did and he comes from around the same era of video games. Now for the young gamers recognizing mario wont be a problem since NIntendo releases a Mario related game every year and he gets a lot of publicity and advertisement. PacMan doesn't have over 30 games, Mario does. Ask a 10 year old kid who pac man is and who mario is and ull have your answer.

Thank you! I'm glad to see someone else here making sense.

ImbaIance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ImbaIance
Member since 2007 • 1567 Posts

I'll tell you why Pac-Man has the edge: Chef Boyardee. If you've never enjoyed a piping hot bowl of Pac-Man pasta and meatballs, you haven't lived.

fudawg45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 fudawg45
Member since 2004 • 649 Posts

You guys are all hilarious. The difference was 1%. This is essentially saying that EVERYBODY knows both Mario and Pac-Man.

Pac-Manis the mascot of arcades (find an arcade that lacks a Pac-Man machine), and Mario has become the mascot of consoles.

Ask almost any kid who pacman is, and they'll know. Ask almost any old person who mario is, and they'll know. All of this arguing is entirely pointless.

One percent difference. We're done here.

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts
this is clearly BS after all they didn't ask EVERYONE in the WHOLE world it would be like me asking everyone in my school, and then giving an answer based on the people i asked
Avatar image for deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
Member since 2004 • 16051 Posts

My kids are 8 and 5...and they haven't a clue who Pac Man is.

There is an entire generation of gamers who have no idea who Pac Man is. Based on that, I feel Mario would be more "recognizeable" than Pac Man.

chefstubbies
which only means that mario may be teh most recognizable in 10 years.. but pac-man symbol has being known by non-gamers and gamers alike for generations after generations... :)
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 chefstubbies

[QUOTE="chefstubbies"]

There is an entire generation of gamers who have no idea who Pac Man is. Based on that, I feel Mario would be more "recognizeable" than Pac Man.

chang_1910

which only means that mario may be teh most recognizable in 10 years.. but pac-man symbol has being known by non-gamers and gamers alike for generations after generations... :)

Yes, there are generations and generations that recognize Pacman, and those same generations and generations also recognize Mario.

Now add to the equation, the fact that there is a whole new generation who have never heard of Pacman, but are familiar with Mario whether they play video games or not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

[QUOTE="chang_1910"][QUOTE="chefstubbies"]

chefstubbies

Yes, there are generations and generations that recognize Pacman, and those same generations and generations also recognize Mario.

Now add to the equation, the fact that there is a whole new generation who have never heard of Pacman, but are familiar with Mario whether they play video games or not.

and remove those that have NO idea who a shadow of mario is, but they see the the shadow of pac-man and they know who he is.. and teh shadow of pac-man with a rinbow and they know is miss pac-man... there are ppl that adore the lil yellow thing, in some country where videogames was limited for a while, and just arcade center existed. where tons of ppl did lines, and I mean LINES to play pac-man... Arcade of pac-man has being show in different shows, that have nothing to do with gaming, e.g. sex and the city, friends and sienfield... which one has show mario? and what are the changes that the majority of fans of this tv show would know squad of gaming... no that there is no exc. (I`m a HUGE fan of friends and sex and teh city)
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 chefstubbies

[QUOTE="chefstubbies"]

[QUOTE="chang_1910"] which only means that mario may be teh most recognizable in 10 years.. but pac-man symbol has being known by non-gamers and gamers alike for generations after generations... :)chang_1910

and remove those that have NO idea who a shadow of mario is, but they see the the shadow of pac-man and they know who he is.. and teh shadow of pac-man with a rinbow and they know is miss pac-man...

Or you could simply play an audio clip of Pacman going "bloop-bloop-bloop-bloop-bloop" and then follow it with an audio clip od Mario going "it's-a-me-...Mario!"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
:lol: I dunno why but that statement made me laugh :P I do not see your point thus... pac-man won as the most reconizable figure... I`m sure that if you compare a caharcter saying is me mario vs a sound, most likely ppl would remember mario. that said.. I think we are not going to go anywhere with this chat.. but thx for the discussion :)
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 chefstubbies

:lol: I dunno why but that statement made me laugh :P chang_1910

Good, then my work here is done. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

[QUOTE="chang_1910"]:lol: I dunno why but that statement made me laugh :P chefstubbies

Good, then my work here is done. :P

:lol: ... u are funny man... wish you were more in the CV union.. :P btw: I love mario.. I have the mario/nintedo monopoly... so cute :) and for what I came, bf I forget again... does anyone knows where I can get this book? I do not seems to find it in amazon/borders. thx EDIT: oh shoot... nvm.. I thought it was out already, so I was looking into NOW AVAILABLE... :oops:
Wolblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70 Wolblade
Member since 2008 • 986 Posts

I can believe it. Pac-Man is not only older, but he was a big part of our parents'/grandparents'/*insert yourself here* lives. I think my grandmother knows who Pac-Man is, which is saying something.

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
I was thinking Pac Man.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#72 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
bah. I wonder how that came to that conclusion... they clearly didn't ask everyone, and they don't specify their margin of error. As such I think this result was to cause someone to notice their book.