drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Lack of setting. Mario 64 - mysterious mansion. Sunshine - sunny beach island. Galaxy 1/2 - outer space. 3D World - literally no sense of place or setting. It's just literally an HD version of Mario 3D Land.

I'm not sure what 3D World wants to be aside from a mildly fun family game that really doesn't push the series forward. Lack of online multiplayer. And the offline multiplayer suffers from Sonic 2 Syndrome (additional players are just inessential tagalongs).

I know the prevailing mentality is that Mario games are entitled to 9/10's unless they're NSMB/SMS/SMB2 but I have to honestly say that 3D World totally lacked a sense of atmosphere and uniqueness. It was just a set of isolated game mechanics.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

3D World is the best of all the Mario games ever created. I enjoyed 3D Land as well, but to say that 3D World is just an HD version of 3D Land is just ridiculous. That's like saying SMB3 is a remake of SMB with better graphics.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Its more like a step to the side. It was no better then Galaxy 1 and 2, it wasnt a step up, but it was just as good. Not a step up or down.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

Since I play Mario games for the years of polished and refined gameplay mechanics I am not seeing an issue.

Avatar image for JYoungin20years
JYoungin20years

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JYoungin20years
Member since 2005 • 361 Posts

tc is a bonafide troll

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#6  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I'd say it was a step backward, and a bit off to the side. It's not as good as either of the Galaxy games. 3D World tries to implement multiplayer when it's not needed and feels out of place. I agree 100% about additional players feeling like inessential tagalongs, but online multiplayer isn't necessary when multiplayer itself feels out of place to begin with. 3D Mario should probably stay single player, and leave the multiplayer aspect to the NSMB branch. Nintendo can, and have done better. I still like the game, but I don't feel the urge to play it like I do Galaxy. This is all, of course, my opinion.

D-MonDRV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#7  Edited By D-MonDRV
Member since 2002 • 9267 Posts

As an old-school gamer, you're right that there's no sense of place or setting. But that's what Mario is all about.

I'm not discounting the quality of games like Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Galaxy, they're all excellent, but Super Mario 3D World is old-school Mario, modernized to be the best it can be.

It begs the question if you've ever even bothered playing any of the sidescrolling marquee Mario games because that's the exact formula Mario 3D World followed. We're literally talking about the father of platforming going back to its roots.

Who cares if he doesn't randomly end up in outer space?

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

A NEW hubworld style mario would be nice. Seems like Sunshine improved on Mario 64's hub in everyway with SO much to do in Isle Delfino. Mario sunshine would be one of the BEST mario's IMO if not for those pointless blue coins. Mario Galaxy set the hubworld way back, but it was still cool. Galaxy 2 threw it out.

Mario 3D World isn't focused on the hubworld and it pretty much doesn't need it.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

3D World is what I always wanted a 3D Mario game to be. I have always loved 2D Mario games, but 3D Mario games never really felt like Mario to me.

I love 3D World because the gameplay is the same as the classic 2D Mario games that I love so much, but in a 3D environment, which is what I always wanted, so I hope Nintendo continues to make 3D Mario games like this and doesn't go back to the open "collect the stars" Mario games.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

I wonder if TC is capable of making a thread that isnt him shoving his contrarian opinions down everyone's throat

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

@Shinobishyguy:

Lol, shoving his opinions down people's throats? You chose to read the thread. You walked toward it with your mouth open.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

I'd say it's a step sidewards. It's not as good as galaxy but it's still very good. They seem to keep trying new things with 3D mario and in the long run that's probably good. It's unlikely that their next game will be the same as 3D world.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#13 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I tend to agree with the mentality that a lot of Nintendo gamers give Nintendo games free passes just because they're Nintendo games, but I'm not seeing that issue with this one. Super Mario 3D World really is a phenomenal title.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

I totally get you -- becoming more streamlined and like the 2D Mario titles has it's drawbacks. I wouldn't mind it feeling more like a real adventure, than moving across a map, completing random levels that hardly fit a theme.

It's still a step forward in many ways, though. It's a fantastic title. In some ways the best Mario ever, in other ways not so much.

MiniProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MiniProphet
Member since 2007 • 443 Posts

Now that Mario 3D World is done, I remember hearing that Mr. Miyamoto is going to step down as the main force behind the canon Mario series. Is their any knowledge of who will pick up the mantle now? Or is he still pretty active?

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#16  Edited By pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Saying that Mario 3D World is an HD version of Mario 3D land doesn't do the game justice.

There is obviously a clear inspiration in terms that it also tried to be the pure translation of a Mario sidescroller into a 3-D environment, bur 3D World does that far better.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

The entire notion that 3d world isn't a "proper" 3d mario should've died a long time ago. Since when was it an unwritten rule that all 3d marios have to adhere to the same open world star collecting that was in 64?

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

From what I played, I will definitely agree that it's a step sidewards. It's neither inferior or superior, but it didn't really push the franchise to new heights. It's a fantastic platformer with tight controls and some of the best levels in the franchise, but doesn't deliver the grand experience and impression Galaxy had. I guess it was kind of expected. SM3DW did have some big shoes to fill, and many people had expectations through the roof about what a 3D Mario game would be like on more powerful hardware.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

I enjoyed it just as much if not more than galaxy bc it was faster, 2d mario style done in 3d. Sure I can agree that the atmosphere and the grand feeling presentation of Galaxy was more so than 3DW, but it was not trying too top Galaxy in the first place.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Better in some ways. Worse in others.

I don't have a problem with the game design other than two things. The controls are not the best. I expect better from a Mario title. I wish you didn't have to hold a button to run. That is the biggest drawback of the multiplayer because they had to take into account people are going to be playing it with the wiimotes. It just never felt right having to 'charge' up the run.

And it is way WAY too easy. Which is a shame, because some of the last worlds.. Particularly the VERY last level, are an absolute insane blast to play with friends.. The difficult levels are a ridiculous amount of fun to play with friends.. But honestly, about 80% of the levels are way to easy for me to want to play with anyone more than once.

The whole sm64 vs. 3D World vs. Galaxy stuff doesn't really matter here. I think the concept of 3D World is great. I look at it as more of a MASSIVE leap forward from Super Mario Bros. Wii rather than something that is a step back from 64 or Sunshine.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

It's just another branch. Another style. It's distinct from typical Mario 3D games, and distinct from 2D games.

It can never replace your typical 3D Mario, but it still has its own unique place.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

@drekula2: I thought the same thing. My favorite Mario games are from SMB2-Mario 64. Super Mario Sunshine onward didn't do it for me. As for 3D Land, the level design is boring compared to past games imo and there is way too many recycled assets (how many ride the dinosaur down the river levels were there?). The music isn't as good as the originals either. I also felt they ripped a lot of platforming elements from Donkey Kong which imo don't belong in Mario.

The biggest issue I have with it is that it is a combination of past Mario games with a few new powers (cat power is OP too). It seems like each new Mario game in the old days was a very different experience.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

3D World is the best of all the Mario games ever created. I enjoyed 3D Land as well, but to say that 3D World is just an HD version of 3D Land is just ridiculous. That's like saying SMB3 is a remake of SMB with better graphics.

Mario Bros 3 had a totally new art style and aesthetic. Not comparable.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

If it's anything like 3d land it'll get tedious after a few worlds and you'll have to force yourself to finish it since the game cost you money. That's how 3d land was for me. To me 3d World despite being either 3d or 2.5D it still looks like another entry in the NSMB series which is why in my opinion it's not THE 3D Mario of this gen. In a way it's still a money grab designed to pander to nostalgia buffs who want old style Mario but in 3d. Honestly I was hoping they'd build on the 3d Mario experience after they made Super Mario 64 but they took a step back and now a step to the side. And you're wrong, it would certainly have benefited if it had both local and online multiplayer or has life stopped so the busy masses will have time for local multiplayer only? I'd dare say even kids don't have the time for it local only. Not all games require online but next to no games have online but a few more wouldn't hurt there's only 6 that have it (I don't count leaderboards). There are no onlline co-op actionadventure games on wii u. How is Nintendo supposed to show off the capabilities of the Nintendo network if they're barely using it. This is why so many developers are skipping wii u, Nintendo refuses to embrace modern times and adapt. I love Nintendo and want them to succeed but not by resisting features that might make their games better. I want them to grow not stay as they are, they have too much raw potential just waiting to be unleashed.

If I could have it my way it'd have 2 player co-op for starters since they're not used to it, which might mean the possibility of bigger more challenging bosses. Then give it a light story like the Mario and Luigi rpgs, don't wanna over shadow the gameplay too much. Add an endearing cast of funny characters and you might have a masterpiece. And bring back exploration and hidden secret items and levels, it was so satisfying finding them

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PurpleMan5000

@drekula2 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Mario Bros 3 had a totally new art style and aesthetic. Not comparable.

In other words, better graphics.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@VendettaRed07 said:

I don't have a problem with the game design other than two things. The controls are not the best. I expect better from a Mario title. I wish you didn't have to hold a button to run. That is the biggest drawback of the multiplayer because they had to take into account people are going to be playing it with the wiimotes. It just never felt right having to 'charge' up the run.

And it is way WAY too easy. Which is a shame, because some of the last worlds.. Particularly the VERY last level, are an absolute insane blast to play with friends.. The difficult levels are a ridiculous amount of fun to play with friends.. But honestly, about 80% of the levels are way to easy for me to want to play with anyone more than once.

The whole sm64 vs. 3D World vs. Galaxy stuff doesn't really matter here. I think the concept of 3D World is great. I look at it as more of a MASSIVE leap forward from Super Mario Bros. Wii rather than something that is a step back from 64 or Sunshine.

That's fair, but which Mario titles did you find challenging? I thought the last 20% of 3D World was more challenging than anything I've played through in a 3D Mario, anyway.

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

I personally do not consider SM3DW to be a part of the main 3D mario series (even though it has 3D in its name); rather, I think it is a new, intermediate branch (beginning with 3D Land on 3DS) that will serve as an alternate Mario platforming series. The fact that the levels appear to be designed to more easily accommodate several players rather than one (as with SMG 2 and its predecessors) is testament to that fact. I therefore see it in a more positive light.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I enjoyed it more than every mario game since SM64.

It's basically like a 3D-ish Super Mario Bros.

Haven't had that much fun in local co op in.... ever.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 juboner

Ugh I do not like these opinions of 3d world that are negative, they dont really make sense. Galaxies levels are slow, u spend a lot of time just running at a slow speed from place to place without as much platforming as 3DW. Sure it has secret areas but they are not that rewarding, the puzzle like levels are not that rewarding either (very simple). I like the challenges the comets add and the big worlds. But those big worlds in the game do not provide the fast tighter platforming that 3DW has. I could care less for the multiplayer in 3DW its a nice option for some though.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@VendettaRed07 said:

What do wiimotes have to do with the need for a run button?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

A step back from Galaxy absolutely. :)

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 VendettaRed07

@nini200 said:

@VendettaRed07 said:

Because if a Joy stick was standard there wouldnt be a need for a run button. The Wiimotes only have a D-pad. So all it knows is that you're running or you aren't.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 VendettaRed07

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@VendettaRed07 said:

That's fair, but which Mario titles did you find challenging? I thought the last 20% of 3D World was more challenging than anything I've played through in a 3D Mario, anyway.

Well its just that most other Mario Games, are not multiplayer.. And games tend to be much easier with friends (i.e. being able to respawn and keep playing as long as one of your friends are alive). It is harder by yourself, but it is so much more fun with other people. I wish the difficulty scaled or something with more people, because most of the game is just flat out boring after going through the stage once because it is so easy. I 100% the game and beat each level with each character (other than the last two) with one friend with relative ease. it was just a matter of the time it took rather than the difficulty.

I suppose other 3D mario games were about as easy or even easier in some cases, overall at least.. But it didn't really bother me because the games had more too offer in terms of creativity of the level design in the Galaxy games, or open world exploration in Sunshine and 64. Because Mario 3D World really doesn't have nearly the same level as in either of those games, the times when game is easy it just feels a bit hollow. It would have been so much better because the game is at its heights with friends playing difficult levels.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@VendettaRed07 said:

@nini200 said:

@VendettaRed07 said:

Because if a Joy stick was standard there wouldnt be a need for a run button. The Wiimotes only have a D-pad. So all it knows is that you're running or you aren't.

So what's the difference between that and the Mario 1 - Super Mario World games which all had run buttons and were great games?

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By juboner

@VendettaRed07: I can see your points except for the run button. The run button feels natural and doesn't take anything away from the game.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By VendettaRed07

@nini200: Because this game is in 3D. The run button in side scrollers runs perfectly fine but when you need to jump and change directions immediately in 3D space, the run button limits what you can do and takes things like momentum out of the gameplay. Its also because the run has to be "charged". Even the 2D games didn't do that. I just feel limited as to what I can do or where I can go because of it in 3D world. There were many times where I felt like I died because I couldn't build up the right speed or I had to run around in circles just to do a somersault or do a jump to reach the right height

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

There may be some validity to your points, but personally I was having so much fun with their pint sized experiences; I did not care what it did not progress to the next level from SMG. It was like the first Portal. It just let you go at your own pace. It was always introducing a new challenge and it let you do so with 3 other people. If those 3 other players are similar in platforming skills its exhilarating. If the skill level is lop sided it can be annoying.

I recognize that this Mario had no central theme like Sunshine and Galaxy, but it was a non issue for me. How can I care about it being in a Mario generic atmosphere when the puzzles and challenges are so enjoyable, addicting in such an approachable game.

This is easily in the top 3 games of this new generation. Its one of my most favorite Mario games.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 juboner

@VendettaRed07: Sounds like you have trouble adapting to different games controls. You figure out how the character reacts and adjust accordingly.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

ok I take back my opinion (I played an in-store demo). I gotta say it looks a lot more solid in person than on a let's play. But I still want Mario similar to Mario 64

gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

It isn't a fully 3D Mario game, that for the Wii U is still yet to come.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#43 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

I've heard that this game is way better than what people think about this game.