Majora's Mask New 3DS, Best Buy, and scalping

This topic is locked from further discussion.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

If you ordered several limited edition Majora’s Mask New 3DS XLs, it appears that Best Buy will be cancelling all but one. It seems like they’re taking the first steps to stop scalpers! You’ll receive a notice from Best Buy if your order has been cancelled.

Credit: NeoGAF

This is a good thing as I feel that scalping is a problem in video games and at least a retailer has a way to stop it.

JonathanL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 0

#2 JonathanL
Member since 2002 • 22123 Posts

Dedicated scalpers will find ways around this, but it's nice to see retailers taking steps to help regular people buy their stuff.

It'd be even nicer if Nintendo just flooded the market with them, but they're not about to do that. Scarcity, either legitimate or artificial, is good for business.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Good! First thing tomorrow I'm gonna run and see if I can pre-order it then!...

@JonathanL said:

It'd be even nicer if Nintendo just flooded the market with them, but they're not about to do that. Scarcity, either legitimate or artificial, is good for business.

I think its bullcrap and a bad business practice for a company in Nintendo's current position to purposely limit supplies on a product that will undoubtedly sell well. I really hope they aren't that stupid and at the very least, ship out at keast 2 million Majora Mask/Monster Hunter 4 bundles...

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

You can't expect them to flood the market with something that is limited edition. It's no longer limited edition if they do that is it! As long as there is plenty stock of the standard SKU's I don't see a problem.

Good show on the one per customer though, that's how it should be. Even though people can make multiple accounts etc. it will certainly slow them down and give others a bit more time to order.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I was lucky to snag a system on Bestbuy and a MM Limited Edition game from Amazon. Really excited for both to come, especially since I got the orders in before the scalpers.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I'm just going to go into the store and see if I can't pick one up on launch day.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I don't think this has anything to do with scalpers. I ordered a Majora's Mask edition shortly after they were available at bestbuy. The order went through. I recieved an email yesterday stating that they took too many preorders for the amount of units they recieved. Makes me wonder what a pre order is anymore. I recieved a $50 bestbuy credit because of the mix up.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

@Heirren said:

I don't think this has anything to do with scalpers. I ordered a Majora's Mask edition shortly after they were available at bestbuy. The order went through. I recieved an email yesterday stating that they took too many preorders for the amount of units they recieved. Makes me wonder what a pre order is anymore. I recieved a $50 bestbuy credit because of the mix up.

Best Buy also cancelled my pre-order. I did not know that the number of pre-orders have been exceeded, and I used the $50 credit to buy a normal New 3DS instead.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

@Heirren said:

Best Buy also cancelled my pre-order. I did not know that the number of pre-orders have been exceeded, and I used the $50 credit to buy a normal New 3DS instead.

I just did the same thing. The Majora's Mask thing wasn't a big deal for--I figured why not. Did I read it correctly in seeing the suggested orders to replace the cancelled order were the regular 3ds xls? Even as someone who knows what is what I was a tad confused for a minute. Almost didn't order and figured I'd save on the shipping hassle but I read the 50 dollar promo was online only.

$154. Guess it worked out alright.

What I'm wondering though is the scalping situation. These "preorders" have actually been selling for over $300--a product which will have been sold but impossible to fill in a lot of cases.

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

@Heirren said:

@onesiphorus said:

@Heirren said:

I just did the same thing. The Majora's Mask thing wasn't a big deal for--I figured why not. Did I read it correctly in seeing the suggested orders to replace the cancelled order were the regular 3ds xls? Even as someone who knows what is what I was a tad confused for a minute. Almost didn't order and figured I'd save on the shipping hassle but I read the 50 dollar promo was online only.

$154. Guess it worked out alright.

What I'm wondering though is the scalping situation. These "preorders" have actually been selling for over $300--a product which will have been sold but impossible to fill in a lot of cases.

I saw one going for a $1000.00 on e-bay. Horrible.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Seems obvious to limit 1 per customer for limited edition things like this. My local stores are doing it too.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Seems obvious to limit 1 per customer for limited edition things like this. My local stores are doing it too.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Nintendo should just make more since the demand is there. More money for them and less for scalpers. Scalpers are going to get numerous consoles, but I commend BB for trying to put a stop to it.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@tocool340 said:

I think its bullcrap and a bad business practice for a company in Nintendo's current position to purposely limit supplies on a product that will undoubtedly sell well.

Damn right.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

heh heh. Still hoping that I can pick up one of the bundles. I mean, it was the reason I haven't bothered buying a new 3DS all this time since my current one has been messed up 2 and a half years now. Now I'm once again losing interest in getting another 3DS...

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#16 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@bulby_g said:

You can't expect them to flood the market with something that is limited edition. It's no longer limited edition if they do that is it! As long as there is plenty stock of the standard SKU's I don't see a problem.

Good show on the one per customer though, that's how it should be. Even though people can make multiple accounts etc. it will certainly slow them down and give others a bit more time to order.

The concept of limited edition is ridiculous to begin with. Who benefits from limited editions aside from resellers?

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bulby_g

@JustPlainLucas said:

@bulby_g said:

The concept of limited edition is ridiculous to begin with. Who benefits from limited editions aside from resellers?

A customer who wants something a little special. Personally I don't buy in to it and I'll just get whatever I can find cheapest, as long as the colour doesn't offend me! That's especially the case with a handheld that doesn't need to match anything in my lounge. But there are people out there that will buy a product just because it's a unique design they love. Why wouldn't a company cash in on that? Especially if it helps then advertise a specific new release. It wouldn't be cost effective for them to run all these different SKU's long term.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bulby_g

Nintendo UK is now allowing new pre-orders BTW for anyone that still wants one! - http://store.nintendo.co.uk/new-nintendo-3ds-xl-console/new-nintendo-3ds-xl-majoras-mask-3d-edition/11075490.html?utm_medium=The+Legend+of+Zelda+UK&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=%2Fnew-nintendo-3ds-xl-console%2Fnew-nintendo-3ds-xl-majoras-mask-3d-edition%2F11075490.html