Majora's Mask New 3DS, Best Buy, and scalping

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for onesiphorus
onesiphorus

5146

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5146 Posts

If you ordered several limited edition Majora’s Mask New 3DS XLs, it appears that Best Buy will be cancelling all but one. It seems like they’re taking the first steps to stop scalpers! You’ll receive a notice from Best Buy if your order has been cancelled.

Credit: NeoGAF

This is a good thing as I feel that scalping is a problem in video games and at least a retailer has a way to stop it.

Avatar image for JonathanL
JonathanL

22123

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 0

#2 JonathanL
Member since 2002 • 22123 Posts

Dedicated scalpers will find ways around this, but it's nice to see retailers taking steps to help regular people buy their stuff.

It'd be even nicer if Nintendo just flooded the market with them, but they're not about to do that. Scarcity, either legitimate or artificial, is good for business.

Avatar image for tocool340
tocool340

21647

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#3 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21647 Posts

Good! First thing tomorrow I'm gonna run and see if I can pre-order it then!...

@JonathanL said:

It'd be even nicer if Nintendo just flooded the market with them, but they're not about to do that. Scarcity, either legitimate or artificial, is good for business.

I think its bullcrap and a bad business practice for a company in Nintendo's current position to purposely limit supplies on a product that will undoubtedly sell well. I really hope they aren't that stupid and at the very least, ship out at keast 2 million Majora Mask/Monster Hunter 4 bundles...

Avatar image for bulby_g
bulby_g

1861

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

You can't expect them to flood the market with something that is limited edition. It's no longer limited edition if they do that is it! As long as there is plenty stock of the standard SKU's I don't see a problem.

Good show on the one per customer though, that's how it should be. Even though people can make multiple accounts etc. it will certainly slow them down and give others a bit more time to order.

Avatar image for yokofox33
yokofox33

30775

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#5 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I was lucky to snag a system on Bestbuy and a MM Limited Edition game from Amazon. Really excited for both to come, especially since I got the orders in before the scalpers.

Avatar image for PurpleMan5000
PurpleMan5000

10530

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10530 Posts

I'm just going to go into the store and see if I can't pick one up on launch day.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

21398

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I don't think this has anything to do with scalpers. I ordered a Majora's Mask edition shortly after they were available at bestbuy. The order went through. I recieved an email yesterday stating that they took too many preorders for the amount of units they recieved. Makes me wonder what a pre order is anymore. I recieved a $50 bestbuy credit because of the mix up.

Avatar image for onesiphorus
onesiphorus

5146

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#8 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5146 Posts

@Heirren said:

I don't think this has anything to do with scalpers. I ordered a Majora's Mask edition shortly after they were available at bestbuy. The order went through. I recieved an email yesterday stating that they took too many preorders for the amount of units they recieved. Makes me wonder what a pre order is anymore. I recieved a $50 bestbuy credit because of the mix up.

Best Buy also cancelled my pre-order. I did not know that the number of pre-orders have been exceeded, and I used the $50 credit to buy a normal New 3DS instead.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

21398

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

@Heirren said:

I don't think this has anything to do with scalpers. I ordered a Majora's Mask edition shortly after they were available at bestbuy. The order went through. I recieved an email yesterday stating that they took too many preorders for the amount of units they recieved. Makes me wonder what a pre order is anymore. I recieved a $50 bestbuy credit because of the mix up.

Best Buy also cancelled my pre-order. I did not know that the number of pre-orders have been exceeded, and I used the $50 credit to buy a normal New 3DS instead.

I just did the same thing. The Majora's Mask thing wasn't a big deal for--I figured why not. Did I read it correctly in seeing the suggested orders to replace the cancelled order were the regular 3ds xls? Even as someone who knows what is what I was a tad confused for a minute. Almost didn't order and figured I'd save on the shipping hassle but I read the 50 dollar promo was online only.

$154. Guess it worked out alright.

What I'm wondering though is the scalping situation. These "preorders" have actually been selling for over $300--a product which will have been sold but impossible to fill in a lot of cases.

Avatar image for psx_warrior
psx_warrior

1757

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

@Heirren said:

@onesiphorus said:

@Heirren said:

I don't think this has anything to do with scalpers. I ordered a Majora's Mask edition shortly after they were available at bestbuy. The order went through. I recieved an email yesterday stating that they took too many preorders for the amount of units they recieved. Makes me wonder what a pre order is anymore. I recieved a $50 bestbuy credit because of the mix up.

Best Buy also cancelled my pre-order. I did not know that the number of pre-orders have been exceeded, and I used the $50 credit to buy a normal New 3DS instead.

I just did the same thing. The Majora's Mask thing wasn't a big deal for--I figured why not. Did I read it correctly in seeing the suggested orders to replace the cancelled order were the regular 3ds xls? Even as someone who knows what is what I was a tad confused for a minute. Almost didn't order and figured I'd save on the shipping hassle but I read the 50 dollar promo was online only.

$154. Guess it worked out alright.

What I'm wondering though is the scalping situation. These "preorders" have actually been selling for over $300--a product which will have been sold but impossible to fill in a lot of cases.

I saw one going for a $1000.00 on e-bay. Horrible.

Avatar image for trugs26
trugs26

7538

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#11 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7538 Posts

Seems obvious to limit 1 per customer for limited edition things like this. My local stores are doing it too.

Avatar image for trugs26
trugs26

7538

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#12 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7538 Posts

Seems obvious to limit 1 per customer for limited edition things like this. My local stores are doing it too.

Avatar image for iambatman7986
iambatman7986

4448

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#13 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4448 Posts

Nintendo should just make more since the demand is there. More money for them and less for scalpers. Scalpers are going to get numerous consoles, but I commend BB for trying to put a stop to it.

Avatar image for crimsonbrute
CrimsonBrute

25603

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#14 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@tocool340 said:

I think its bullcrap and a bad business practice for a company in Nintendo's current position to purposely limit supplies on a product that will undoubtedly sell well.

Damn right.

Avatar image for tocool340
tocool340

21647

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#15 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21647 Posts

heh heh. Still hoping that I can pick up one of the bundles. I mean, it was the reason I haven't bothered buying a new 3DS all this time since my current one has been messed up 2 and a half years now. Now I'm once again losing interest in getting another 3DS...

Avatar image for JustPlainLucas
JustPlainLucas

80441

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#16 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@bulby_g said:

You can't expect them to flood the market with something that is limited edition. It's no longer limited edition if they do that is it! As long as there is plenty stock of the standard SKU's I don't see a problem.

Good show on the one per customer though, that's how it should be. Even though people can make multiple accounts etc. it will certainly slow them down and give others a bit more time to order.

The concept of limited edition is ridiculous to begin with. Who benefits from limited editions aside from resellers?

Avatar image for bulby_g
bulby_g

1861

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

@bulby_g said:

You can't expect them to flood the market with something that is limited edition. It's no longer limited edition if they do that is it! As long as there is plenty stock of the standard SKU's I don't see a problem.

Good show on the one per customer though, that's how it should be. Even though people can make multiple accounts etc. it will certainly slow them down and give others a bit more time to order.

The concept of limited edition is ridiculous to begin with. Who benefits from limited editions aside from resellers?

A customer who wants something a little special. Personally I don't buy in to it and I'll just get whatever I can find cheapest, as long as the colour doesn't offend me! That's especially the case with a handheld that doesn't need to match anything in my lounge. But there are people out there that will buy a product just because it's a unique design they love. Why wouldn't a company cash in on that? Especially if it helps then advertise a specific new release. It wouldn't be cost effective for them to run all these different SKU's long term.

Avatar image for bulby_g
bulby_g

1861

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#18 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Nintendo UK is now allowing new pre-orders BTW for anyone that still wants one! - http://store.nintendo.co.uk/new-nintendo-3ds-xl-console/new-nintendo-3ds-xl-majoras-mask-3d-edition/11075490.html?utm_medium=The+Legend+of+Zelda+UK&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=%2Fnew-nintendo-3ds-xl-console%2Fnew-nintendo-3ds-xl-majoras-mask-3d-edition%2F11075490.html