LoZ DS: Phantom hourglass or Spirit Tracks?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

I have played both which do you prefer? I personally liked Phantom hourglass better then spirit tracks. They made too much of a big deal about the trains and I just wanted to get cool weapons and fight bosses and do puzzles all of which ST had less of. The Ocean also looked better then tracks because it didn't look as weird that it ws flat and sparsely populated as a the different relms

Wolfy321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Wolfy321
Member since 2010 • 52 Posts

I liked Spirit Tracks more. I don't know why.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
I used a walkthrough for both xD However, i liked both of them, maybe equally.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
spirit tracks is by far the better game. WTF are you talking about, less puzzles and dungeons? spirit tracks had far more of both, and far more collectibles, and lasted far more. and wasn't as mind numbingly easy as PH. not to mention sailing in PH is sleep inducing.
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
Prefer Phantom Hourglass, but both are horrible, and not just compared to other games in the series, I mean they are both really bad games, probably two of the worst Nintendo has published.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
I have both, and both are great. Spirits Tracks was a filler before the release of Skyward Sword though. But I enjoyed Phantom Hourglass more, except for the main dungeon that you had to repeat 452 times.
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I like Spirit Tracks a tiny bit more because of the music.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

Spirit Tracks is the worst Zelda game, and isn't very good overall. Phantom Hourglass is a fantastic game, and can sit proudly next to the other handheld Zeldas.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Phantom hourglass is only just good, but it blows the crap that was spirit tracks out of the water(or railroad) .
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

Both are great games, but I liked Phantom Hourglass more, since it had more nostalgia.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#11 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

I like Spirit Tracks a tiny bit more because of the music.

ANIMEguy10034
This. I'll probably never touch either of them again though.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BrunoBRS
all these spirit tracks haters make puppies cry.
the9thinning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the9thinning
Member since 2011 • 662 Posts

Defintly Spirit Tracks, I hated the Temple of the Ocean King with a passion

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I have not played Phantom Hourglass but I am just about finished with Spirit Tracks and absolutely love it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Phantom, by far. My problem with ST was that it lacked the adventure aspect. It had a "look but don't touch" sort of thing going on.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I enjoyed Spirit Tracks more. No constantly re tracing my steps or time limit in the central dungeon. Much less boring travel. Better dungeons. Better sidekick. More challenging. I can't think of any way in which PH was better than ST.
ZachMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ZachMasta
Member since 2010 • 579 Posts
something about spirits tracks felt incredibly... dull... empty... dead to me. It just wasn't an engaging game or wasn't really engaging in and of itself as a piece of work. Phantom Hourglass, though far from perfect, was a quality experience and still had that Zelda magic if you ask me.
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#19 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
I loved both but in the end I prefer Phantom Hourglass.
moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 moltenix
Member since 2008 • 2487 Posts

I thought they were both great. :cool:

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts
I enjoyed both games; but I feel Spirit Tracks comes out ahead.
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6060 Posts
What's with all the spirit tracks hate, it is one of the best handheld Zelda's IMO. It was way more entertaining than skyward sword...
inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 inb4uall

What's with all the spirit tracks hate, it is one of the best handheld Zelda's IMO. It was way more entertaining than skyward sword...Ghost120x
well of course but we're comparing the two DS zeldas. comparing a DS game to a Wii game would just be unfair ;)

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
I liked both about the same, I'd give the edge to Phantom Hourglass though.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#26 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Spirit Tracks by far. The central dungeon wasn't game breakingly awful (that was my biggest problem with PH, the Temple of the Ocean King. Sucked so much.) the game was more challenging, there were more sidequests, more things to collect, better puzzles and more cool places to go.

Check out the link to my Best of the Generation: DS part one to see the full rant.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
I'm not sure why anyone would pick ST... It had on-rails adventuring, shorter, and had it's own equivalent of the Ocean Temple (which I never really had a problem with).
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 turtlethetaffer

I'm not sure why anyone would pick ST... It had on-rails adventuring, shorter, and had it's own equivalent of the Ocean Temple (which I never really had a problem with).Minishdriveby

Except you didn't need to repeat parts of the Temple of Spirits you already played. each dungeon beat brought a new and more challenging part of the tower to open, replaying previous patrts is ocmpletely optional. I finally looked forward to beating dungeons again.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I haven't beat Spirit Tracks (just fixed a bridge to the third area) but I would say whichever is shorter. Was too happy to finish Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks is pretty much on the same level so far.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
These games are quite polarizing and all opinions are represented. Some love both, some hate both, some like PH and hate ST and vice versa, its pretty funny.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]I'm not sure why anyone would pick ST... It had on-rails adventuring, shorter, and had it's own equivalent of the Ocean Temple (which I never really had a problem with).turtlethetaffer

Except you didn't need to repeat parts of the Temple of Spirits you already played. each dungeon beat brought a new and more challenging part of the tower to open, replaying previous patrts is ocmpletely optional. I finally looked forward to beating dungeons again.

It was more the uninspired temple design that I had a problem with and that uninspiring design was basically the same for ST; however, having to go through floors again was never a real issue for me since I already knew what to do, and it didn't take long once you knew exactly where to go to get to the new floor.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]I'm not sure why anyone would pick ST... It had on-rails adventuring, shorter, and had it's own equivalent of the Ocean Temple (which I never really had a problem with).Minishdriveby

It was more the uninspired temple design that I had a problem with and that uninspiring design was basically the same for ST; however, having to go through floors again was never a real issue for me since I already knew what to do, and it didn't take long once you knew exactly where to go to get to the new floor.

It killed the pacing for me, almost ruined the entire game. (Which is a shame because the dungeons were fun in PH as well as the bosses, especially against the Ghost Ship.) The puzzles in ST were much mroe challenging and satisfying to solve.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

These games are quite polarizing and all opinions are represented. Some love both, some hate both, some like PH and hate ST and vice versa, its pretty funny. Sepewrath
Seems pretty interesting that most people tend to love one but hate the other especially.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BrunoBRS
I'm not sure why anyone would pick ST... It had on-rails adventuring, shorter, and had it's own equivalent of the Ocean Temple (which I never really had a problem with).Minishdriveby
ST is about as on-rails as PH, only there was stuff to do while controlling the train, and there were actually places to go.
inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 inb4uall

I personally hated the flute parts in ST. The ocean sancturary guy wouldn't accept my playing as good enough when I was playin it perfectly. Took me 3 hours to get it. I was bout to throw my DS out my dorm window. That definately hurt that game in my eyes

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I personally hated the flute parts in ST. The ocean sancturary guy wouldn't accept my playing as good enough when I was playin it perfectly. Took me 3 hours to get it. I was bout to throw my DS out my dorm window. That definately hurt that game in my eyes

inb4uall

I loved the Spirit Flute! It was one of my favorite parts of the game. It surprises me that so many people had problems with it; I never did. Do you play a real instrument at all? Maybe being a musician helps me with this kind of stuff.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 inb4uall

[QUOTE="inb4uall"]

Euaggelistes

I loved the Spirit Flute! It was one of my favorite parts of the game. It surprises me that so many people had problems with it; I never did. Do you play a real instrument at all? Maybe being a musician helps me with this kind of stuff.

yes I played the bartione in an award winning concert band, :| did not help at all.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BrunoBRS
only problem with the flute i had were some of the sage songs and the one at the end of the game (god that one was annoying).