Looking to get a wii u today or should I wait?

wwe_xbox360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wwe_xbox360
Member since 2007 • 498 Posts

Topic and never owned a Nintendo console before

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I would wait for holiday deals, you've already waited since 2012, no rush now as those deals will be sweeter than what we see right now.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Yeah I'm thinking of getting one too... but they're just too expensive here still.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

Sounds like a risky purchase for you since you never owned a Nintendo console before. Not even one of Nintendo's handhelds too? I have really been pushing the Wii U for the last 18 months, but I am not sure for you. I will say that if you want to play Nintendo games you can still find the popular Nintendo titles for the most part, but you may have a little trouble finding Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and even harder finding many of the 3rd party titles. You should be able to find Xenoblade Chronicles X fairly easy. The Nintendo e-Shop has many games, but you would need and external HDD eventually if you wanted to buy several large file games. The Wii digital stores have a lot of old school games which are great if you are into the old school arcade games.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Bout a week ago Gamestop had them brand new for $172. It was the white Skylanders Edition. http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/software/nintendo-wii-u-8gb-basic-skylanders-swap-force-bundle/112315

#Cheapassgamer posted it on twitter awhile ago. I usually follow it to buy some stuff every now and then. They post about pre-orders too, which i use sometimes.

wwe_xbox360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wwe_xbox360
Member since 2007 • 498 Posts

@Collie_Lover: I've had the handheld nintendo system first one was Gameboy color and I loved it, just really wanna get one but it is still to expensive and I have a ps4 already

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Well there are 5 or 6 amazing games so it's kinda worth it. I'm considering getting one again and just shelving it cuz it might become a collectors item in 10 years. Unless the nx is bc with wii u games then the wii u is garbage. But yeah, if 5 or 6 great games are worth it then go for it.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Collie_Lover said:

Sounds like a risky purchase for you since you never owned a Nintendo console before. Not even one of Nintendo's handhelds too? I have really been pushing the Wii U for the last 18 months, but I am not sure for you. I will say that if you want to play Nintendo games you can still find the popular Nintendo titles for the most part, but you may have a little trouble finding Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and even harder finding many of the 3rd party titles. You should be able to find Xenoblade Chronicles X fairly easy. The Nintendo e-Shop has many games, but you would need and external HDD eventually if you wanted to buy several large file games. The Wii digital stores have a lot of old school games which are great if you are into the old school arcade games.

You can find the staples (NSMBU, Smash and Kart) and the newer releases like that Animal Crossing junk, Twilight Princess, Yoshi, etc.., but most other things wont be as easy. I might even pick up Toad again to keep it sealed before it leaves retail and gets inflated on the online market scene.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts
@wwe_xbox360 said:

@Collie_Lover: I've had the handheld nintendo system first one was Gameboy color and I loved it, just really wanna get one but it is still to expensive and I have a ps4 already

It is expensive to have more than 1 console. It is fine to just have one console with the most games on it that you like (PS4). You are in a tough spot because if you wait until the holidays for a price cut, the Nintendo NX will be launching in ~6 months. But maybe you will not want to get the NX at launch anyway. One strategy would be to wait until the holidays for a price drop because you can also get bargains on games around the holidays too. Check the stores at least monthly to see if Wii Us and games are being restocked. If you still really want to get a Wii U and it looks like they are starting to become difficult to find snag one before the holidays. If there are at least 4-6 games that you would like to play on the Wii U, it would be worth it to have the console even if it is not supported anymore in a couple of years. My thoughts are also that people will be trading in consoles and games of all types around the holidays and times that the next gen consoles are released...

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I don't know about you but I'm ready to purchase mine, nope, I'm not going to purchase new or refurbished, I'm going to get one used since people are already dumping theirs at good prices at e-bay. It has enough titles for me to make it interesting.

Tidemoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Tidemoo
Member since 2012 • 76 Posts

It's worth getting one purely for Xenoblade Chronicles X, Seriously good,fun and addictive. Then you have Zelda and Mario but also the NX will have Zelda so if that is what interests you the most wait. But for Xenoblade was worth it's weight in gold.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

If you haven't had a Nintendo console by now you likely won't get NX, so go for it, a lot of great games and you can catch up on what you've missed through the Virtual Console games and Wii BC. Get the original Xenoblade Chronicles, it's one of the greatest JRPs period.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

@wwe_xbox360: I have had both (PS4 & Wii U) until recently (picked up the two 3DS handhelds after Wii U trade for me & wife) - it's a great family system. The more people are enjoying the Wii U the better, its more fun that way. However that doesn't mean there aren't any personal experiences. I loved both Bayonetta games and Zelda HD remasters.

If you can afford it, I would go for it.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

you should buy a wii u.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc06aedd290c
deactivated-5cc06aedd290c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5cc06aedd290c
Member since 2016 • 45 Posts

Wait for cheaper prices. I have a wii U and don't ever play it except for the virtual console.
I'd completely recommend a new 3ds though, my gf and I play 3ds and ps4 practically nonstop while at home.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Go to a pawn shop. I saw one on sale there for 125$. If you're uncertain you'll like it, there is no shame in going with refurb or used.

michaelh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 michaelh
Member since 2016 • 40 Posts

I would say don't get the U, Nintendo kinnda messed up on that one. Go for one of the 3DS's or wait for the NX. Or you could try an older console. Ask around and try some out before buying tho.