Lets play Zelda Potato Head!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Ok, the rules are simple! You get to pick one thing from each of the 3D (not DS) Zelda games that you want in Zelda WiiU, and you get to add ONE thing. I figured this would be an interesting way to judge what people liked about each game and what they want the future of Zelda to look like, realistically, rather than pinning up a list of 20 crazy things.

Ocarina of Time - Changing world (beating temples causing the area to rejuvenate, going back and forth between adult and kid, and making it rain and change from night to day, changing the surroundings of the world)

Majora's Mask - Intricately detailed world of characters to help and earn tons of cool items in doing so

Wind Waker - Big open world with plenty of stuff to do (Though not perfect, it did it better than TP)

Twilight princess - Lengthy adventure with plenty of items

Skyward Sword - Item upgrade system (used in a grander fashion and made harder to obtain high end upgrades)

Something new - Voice acting for everyone but Link

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

OoT: Two versions of the same world.

MM: A darker tone that is not afraid of crossing a few lines to present realism.

WW: A vast world full of surprises.

TP: The great number of dungeons.

SS: Motion swordplay.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NaveedLife

OoT: Two versions of the same world.

MM: A darker tone that is not afraid of crossing a few lines to present realism.

WW: A vast world full of surprises.

TP: The great number of dungeons.

SS: Motion swordplay.

thetravman

And something new? :P

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
OOT: number of dungeons and brisk pacing MM: sidequests and characters WW: big explorable world TP: Uhh...cinematics I guess? SS: multidirectional swordplay and stamina (but make it so it doesn't drain as fast)
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NaveedLife

OOT: number of dungeons and brisk pacing MM: sidequests and characters WW: big explorable world TP: Uhh...cinematics I guess? SS: multidirectional swordplay and stamina (but make it so it doesn't drain as fast)Shinobishyguy

The stamina could be used really well, but in my opinion they need to make it more important than in SS. You could get medals and potions that made your stamina last longer and such, making it less important. I would want to see it be implemented more into platforming puzzles and such. Which also leads me to the idea that it might be interesting to have a jump button.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Oh, and more timeshfting puzzles. Those were the best parts of Skyward Sword alongside the bosses

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NaveedLife

Oh, and more timeshfting puzzles. Those were the best parts of Skyward Sword alongside the bossesShinobishyguy

If I recall I agree. Though timeshifting doesn't need to be all over :P. Cool puzzles are cool puzzles. TImeshifting was a great way to facilitate that though.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#8 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Ok, the rules are simple! You get to pick one thing from each of the 3D (not DS) Zelda games that you want in Zelda WiiU, and you get to add ONE thing. I figured this would be an interesting way to judge what people liked about each game and what they want the future of Zelda to look like, realistically, rather than pinning up a list of 20 crazy things.

Ocarina of Time - Changing world (beating temples causing the area to rejuvenate, going back and forth between adult and kid, and making it rain and change from night to day, changing the surroundings of the world)

Majora's Mask - Intricately detailed world of characters to help and earn tons of cool items in doing so

Wind Waker - Big open world with plenty of stuff to do (Though not perfect, it did it better than TP)

Twilight princess - Lengthy adventure with plenty of items

Skyward Sword - Item upgrade system (used in a grander fashion and made harder to obtain high end upgrades)

Something new - Voice acting for everyone but Link

NaveedLife
My name is bbkkristian, and I approve this suggestion; this features warrant a fantastic Zelda game.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

Ocarina of Time - Useful, simple to use, versatile instrument.

Majora's Mask - Detailed, interrelated and interweaving NPC's and sidequests.

WindWaker - Whimsical, childish charm. Huge world with lot's of secrets and collectibles.

Twilight Princess - Wide open fields traversed on horseback. Large, densely populated hub city. Bomb arrows.

Skyward Sword - M+ swordplay. Upgrade and pouch systems. Stamina meter.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NaveedLife

WindWaker - Whimsical, childish charm. Huge world with lot's of secrets and collectibles.

Twilight Princess - Wide open fields traversed on horseback. Large, densely populated hub city. Bomb arrows.

meetroid8

One thing each...ONE THING! You used multiple potato heads you cheater! :P

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

OoT -- No idea. TP outdid OoT in dungeon design (both kinda follow the same design direction), OoT has the worst overworld areas (they lack substance, it's just dungeon - run around - dungeon), time travel mechanic is much better implemented in the form of time crystals, music is great in every game so it's not unique to OoT, I prefer WW/TP visual styles; yeah I can't come up with anything. While day/night, past/present, rain/clear cycles are very welcome purely aestethically, the gameplay consequences are a pain. I just cba scouring through the same area only during night just to 100% the game. Same with past/present.

MM -- Complex and deep sidequests.

WW -- WW nailed the atmosphere/feeling.

TP -- Dungeon design (actually a special mix of SS' and TP's but rules are rules lol)

SS -- Wm+ control scheme and area design. Probably overworld progression aswell. But the most fundamental aspect is wm+ so I'd go with that as my pick.

New -- WoW Cataclysm effect after the first phase of the game, i.e. permanent landscape changes. For example Death Mountain errupts which turns the place into an entirely new area mechanically, it goes from quiet & relatively safe to a chaotic state, new paths open up and so on. It sounds a little like SS but it's not, the changes in SS were temporary and returned back to normal afterwards, plus you are stuck during the flooded/stealth parts.

--------------

Basically what I want is SS, but with more complexity in general (MM's questing, TP's mind bending dungeons, go crazy with metroidvania style area design). Nintendo made a mistake by making it specifically so that casuals can get through it by themselves. In other words the complexity curve was horrible. For instance the sky temple had a very appealing concept, but with only 9 rooms, and the way you could combine in many ways, made it too straight forward. So while the concept could potentially be a brilliant mind bender, the temple failed to deliver because of its casual-friendly approach. The game failed to deliver a satisfying amount of brain stimulation for me. Still, it's the best 3D Zelda, but man, I'm disappointed because it could've been Galaxy 2 level of masterpiece.

That's why I hope they go for "SS 2.0" (in the same sense TP is OoT 2.0), and Wii U in general will be more core oriented anyway so hopefully SS = Galaxy and Zelda U = Galaxy 2...

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
OoT - Definitely the use of music ... not as strong in newer games.. MM - Emotionally gripping moments WW: Exploration TP: Lots of effort put into the finale (not seen in Skyward Sword, imo) SS: Motion ontrols
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NaveedLife

OoT - Definitely the use of music ... not as strong in newer games.. MM - Emotionally gripping moments WW: Exploration TP: Lots of effort put into the finale (not seen in Skyward Sword, imo) SS: Motion ontrolsMeinhard1

Two interesting points you make is OoT's use of music being absolutely stellar. I think some people don't bother to realize this. Also, TP's ending being really well done and the most epic yet.

Link592

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Link592
Member since 2011 • 66 Posts

Ocarina of Time - Challengingenemies.

Majora's Mask - Lots of sidequests that have useful items.

Wind Waker - Huge world with lot's of secrets and collectibles.

Twilight Princess - A good and useful sidekick that has a backstory and is not a robot.

Skyward Sword - Detailed, fun, and challengingboss fights.

Something New - Lots of side-items (One's you don't need for the quest. Kind of like Link to the Past and the abundance of unneeded but useful items).

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]

NaveedLife

One thing each...ONE THING! You used multiple potato heads you cheater! :P

There's too much good in each game just to pick one.