lets go pikachu/evee impressions

#1 Edited by KBFloYd (21042 posts) -

so ive played about 3 hours or 4 i think.

graphics: they went for a cell shaded look. i put my oled on HDR color mode and things pop nicely. the graphics are much better in person than watching youtube. very pretty in person. albiet a bit simple looking.

difficulty: ok...whoever said this was casual trash is wrong. catching pokemon is even harder now than in the real games. even weak pokemon dont like to get caught and many jump around making motion control throwing hard. not to mention the battles are just as strategic or maybe more. to me this game feels a bit tougher and more rewarding than the original on the gameboy.

con: so far the biggest "issue" is you cant fight random people online. only friends.oh wait... you can fight with anyone BUT they have to know the special code you make up in order to link. so i suppose if you find a community of people who want to play you can exchange the code and fight them. i would have liked a just basic random person finder though.

i like how catching shiny pokemon works or getting high IV pokemon. you have to chain catch pokemon. and honestly some of the pokemon as super hard to catch. so there a is much depth in this game.

what are your thoughts?

#2 Posted by Ovirew (8392 posts) -

My buddy got the game I guess, didn't get to play it yet. I think there are some nice adjustments, but it doesn't really suit the game for oldschool Pokemon fans. Catching pokemon multiple times to unlock rarer ones is cool, and it's neat that you don't have to take up move slots with HMs. I just think a modern update to LeafGreen/FireRed would have been more appealing. Looks nice, though.

#3 Edited by RSM-HQ (7462 posts) -

Buyers remorse thread? I find it hard to fathom the idea of depth and challenge after three hours of play, while many reviews and early impressions note they've beaten everything that Let's Go has to offer without a single faint.

The oblivious aside, so long as everyone knows this is to please Go fans first, and nostalgia second that's all that matters, it's otherwise a product for new Buyers and not the main audience from 3DS/ prior.

The Let's Go spin-off is hitting two crowds that would be stupid not to exploit. It's a baby steps game in a series that was already very handhold'y in its story campaigns; though I do see some who really want a Switch Pokémon giving in early, likely regretting the choice a week later.

On that note. L'sG is basically funding for the real Pokémon game coming in 2019. Looking forward to transferring my competitive Pokémon team(s) from the Bank next year in hopefully the next big step in the franchise_

It's appreciated Let's Go buyers.

#4 Posted by KBFloYd (21042 posts) -

@RSM-HQ said:

Buyers remorse thread? I find it hard to fathom the idea of depth and challenge after three hours of play, while many reviews and early impressions note they've beaten everything that Let's Go has to offer without a single faint.

The oblivious aside, so long as everyone knows this is to please Go fans first, and nostalgia second that's all that matters, it's otherwise a product for new Buyers and not the main audience from 3DS/ prior.

The Let's Go spin-off is hitting two crowds that would be stupid not to exploit. It's a baby steps game in a series that was already very handhold'y in its story campaigns; though I do see some who really want a Switch Pokémon giving in early, likely regretting the choice a week later.

On that note. L'sG is basically funding for the real Pokémon game coming in 2019. Looking forward to transferring my competitive Pokémon team(s) from the Bank next year in hopefully the next big step in the franchise_

It's appreciated Let's Go buyers.

completely wrong. as a person who owns it imo.

as for people saying its a cake walk. yea ive seen others say it to and when im playing im scratching my head why its so difficult for me.
maybe they just use one pokemon mainly and level it up to the max and the first ones you catch almost level up equally so they didnt even bother training new pokemon?

like if your level is higher than the pokemon your fighting. like if the opponent is level 18 and your level 20 then the fight is 90% chance of win especially if you have an elemntal advantage.

however if you decide to train a breand new pokemon and your are a bit farther in the game. like if you get a level 15 squirtle 6 hours into the game and you decide to level him up then you will be fighting level 16 and level 18 trainers and the battles ARE tough AND strategic.

not to mention catching pokemon is harder imo. buy great balls instead of regular pokeballs helps a ton though.

#5 Edited by KBFloYd (21042 posts) -

ive fainted 3 times in 6 hours of play. but i used tons of potions to save my ass. ive also seen tons of faints from noob people on streams

edit: having played another 4 hours i have fainted another 4 or 5 times. if you are leveling up all your pokemon and not just completely overpowering your primary then you are playing the game the way its meant to be played.

#6 Edited by RSM-HQ (7462 posts) -

@KBFloYd: I'm going to take the wild guess you're in the nostalgia camp? And that's ok a lot of people love Yellow and Kanto. As long as it's hitting what you want for the game, I have little reason to question. So better to state what you are really excited from the game, because you don't need to try and please a completely different audience that wants the core series experience. This game is exactly what was promoted. Let's Go certainly hitting certain peoples desires and it'll help fund the game I'm looking forward to in 2019. So, good for everyone I guess.

Before in an older thread I was far more negative due to impatience. As the 2018 announcement being Pokémon Let's Go threw me off guard. It's the same when MH gave us X, I want the continued experience of improvements, not the test the waters gimmick for a different market.

Anyway I've come to realise L'sG is a better move and will bring new people towards the Switch as a system that are still hooked on Mobiles Pokémon Go.

if you are leveling up all your pokemon and not just completely overpowering your primary then you are playing the game the way its meant to be played

Disagree. Don't think you can decide creators intent on a whim. You've made similar statements in other threads without factual context, and I know it's mostly out of passion/ swimming in emotions, but let's focus on facts rather than ideology.

Let's Go is clearly suppose to invite people intimidated by RPGs, even Pokémon RPGs. And has been presented as such, they don't care if the game can be powered through. You can do that even in the mainline games, outside of post-game content and multiplayer. L'sG is extremely flexible and that's how it's ment to be played.

#7 Edited by KBFloYd (21042 posts) -

@RSM-HQ said:

@KBFloYd: I'm going to take the wild guess you're in the nostalgia camp? And that's ok a lot of people love Yellow and Kanto. As long as it's hitting what you want for the game, I have little reason to question. So better to state what you are really excited from the game, because you don't need to try and please a completely different audience that wants the core series experience. This game is exactly what was promoted. Let's Go certainly hitting certain peoples desires and it'll help fund the game I'm looking forward to in 2019. So, good for everyone I guess.

Before in an older thread I was far more negative due to impatience. As the 2018 announcement being Pokémon Let's Go threw me off guard. It's the same when MH gave us X, I want the continued experience of improvements, not the test the waters gimmick for a different market.

Anyway I've come to realise L'sG is a better move and will bring new people towards the Switch as a system that are still hooked on Mobiles Pokémon Go.

if you are leveling up all your pokemon and not just completely overpowering your primary then you are playing the game the way its meant to be played

Disagree. Don't think you can decide creators intent on a whim. You've made similar statements in other threads without factual context, and I know it's mostly out of passion/ swimming in emotions, but let's focus on facts rather than ideology.

Let's Go is clearly suppose to invite people intimidated by RPGs, even Pokémon RPGs. And has been presented as such, they don't care if the game can be powered through. You can do that even in the mainline games, outside of post-game content and multiplayer. L'sG is extremely flexible and that's how it's ment to be played.

your missing out on maybe the best pokemon experience to date just because of preconceived notions, it makes me sad.

but if the next game is anywhere as good as this one then your going to be in for a hell of experience. ive played yellow, silver and emerald and pokemon lets go blows those 3 out of the water. best pokemon ive ever played.

all i can say is you are going to be very pleased next year.

#8 Posted by KBFloYd (21042 posts) -

this review is in line with how i feel.

Loading Video...

#9 Edited by RSM-HQ (7462 posts) -
@KBFloYd said:

your missing out on maybe the best pokemon experience to date just because of preconceived notions, it makes me sad.

Very unlikely, I don't know how you came to the conclusion it's the best in any fathom, after stating you've only played three retro titles. Speaking personally, not a fan of motion controls, and nothing about petting Evee or Pikachu is appealing to me. Streamlined catching from Go is also a down-step in my view, as the main focus for the series is battling and managing a structured team. No wild battles is a deal breaker. Also have no nostalgia towards the older games, I actually think they're unappealing and most Gen 1 selection has a lot to be desired.

But to each his or her own.

I'm not always against spin-offs but learned my lesson to avoid spin-offs in RPGs through recent experience. Considering I owned both Monster Hunter X and XX on 3DS, and they're two of the worst games in that franchise (A franchise of extremely well made games outside it's spin-off offerings). And Pokémon has a similar reputation for meh spin-offs. Looked into Let's Go heavily and came to a rational conclusion_

I can wait till 2019, have fun with Let's Go. Glad you're enjoying it, but it's not for everyone.

all i can say is you are going to be very pleased next year.

Fingers crossed, other awesome Switch games will keep me busy till then. Smash Ultimate will help the time pass.