La-Mulana Release Thread - (Info, Pics, Vids & Reviews)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JollyGreenOne
Member since 2011 • 1001 Posts

La-Mulana Release Thread
(Is this retro adventure one of WiiWare's last great titles? Find out below)
7931102696_8d58ae6171_z.jpg

~About La-Mulana~

Release Date: Available now in North America and Europe.
No. of Players: 1 player
Category: Action, Adventure
Publisher: EnjoyUp Games
Developer: NIGORO
Wii Points: 1000

Are you ready to survive all types of traps and discover all the secrets of LA-MULANA?

LA-MULANA is the most complete "archaeology action and exploration" game ever created. Take control of Professor Lemeza and his inseparable whip to discover the mysteries of Humanity! Face all types of traps, enemies and Guardians in the greatest adventure every created for WiiWare. In LA-MULANA you will explore vast temples and, most importantly, you will have the feeling of total immersion. Each mechanism, trap or puzzle you solve will be a great achievement.

Features:

- The best "archaeology action and exploration" game.
- Over 40 hours of play.
- Hundreds of puzzles and secrets to be discovered.
- Wide variety of weapons and objects you can use.
- Use the "Mobile Super X" computer to run help software.
- Large quantity of enemies with spectacular guardians.

~Screenshots~

7931107408_93e05a0d32_z.jpg
7931107542_5f452990e6_z.jpg
7931107700_1492631325_z.jpg
7931108158_9de2f83ef5_z.jpg
7931109390_8af1a41b49_z.jpg
7931108500_9778c7333f_z.jpg
7931109582_7df8e88b9b_z.jpg
7931108810_1d0a0a25af_z.jpg
7931109202_340d0d3d74_z.jpg

~Trailers~

(Youtube) The History Of La-Mulana - Launch Trailer
(Youtube) WiiWare Gameplay Trailer

~La-Mulana Reviews~

Nintendo Life - 10/10:

"It's been a long wait, but WiiWare fans can now finally get their hands on this lesser known indie classic. Beating it can be an incredibly daunting task for less experienced players, but despite all of the difficult puzzles and fights there are lots of features that make the experience much less frustrating than you'd think it would be. With this title's significant size, if you can't beat one area you can just go to another first, so there are always options to progress. The lack of DLC is a bit of a disappointment, but the basic game is still, in a word: perfect." - (Full Review)

GamesTM - 8/10:

"It's an extraordinarily hard game, and the type of time sink that many won't be prepared for. While La-Mulana doesn't feel the need to kick you all the way back to the beginning every time you die, there's every chance you'll get so lost in its maze of pillars, vases and idols that you'll wish you had been. Like Fez, it'll probably take more than a few trips to the internet to get yourself through to the end, although there's nothing quite like that games community-driven puzzle-solving to really lose yourself in.

There's a lot to admire in La-Mulana. After struggling to hit Western shores in its WiiWare incarnation for years, it's a treat to finally be able to play it. Actually, it's not a treat. It's a nightmare. But if the success of Dark Souls has proven anything, it's that there's a world of people out there who just want to be punished." - (Full Review)

Wii's World - 90/100:

"Though La-Mulana is not without a few things that might make more casual players balk, it also happens to be one of the best 2D titles in years and an amazing tribute to the days of early 80's gaming. It might be tricky at times and players will suffer, but that is part of what marks a truly great adventure." - (Full Review)

Game Podunk - 8/10:

"La-Mulana is an incredibly well done game that will appeal to certain gamers. Those who grew up with these kind of games or who love a real challenge will flock to it. Some who are on the fence might even find the challenge addicting after giving it a shot. Then there are the crowd who will balk at how unfair it is at times. That's the nature of the beast with La-Mulana and it is quite a journey if you can survive it." - (Full Review)

Destructoid - 8.0/10:

"A handful of players will pick up La-Mulana and fall in love instantly. It'll be exactly the kind of cutthroat trial that they've always craved but could never experience. For most, the difficulty wall will simply be too high. It's criminal to walk away from such a brilliant gem, which is why I endorse the use of wikis, maps, and guides. There's no shame in getting a little outside help. In fact, I think it adds a meta element to the campaign. In a game about archaeological expedition, why wouldn't you refer to the notes and directions of previous explorers? As long as you leverage these materials sparingly, you can transform your despair into enjoyment. The game will still be hard as balls, but it'll feel much more manageable.

Beyond the seemingly insurmountable wall of challenge, La-Mulana is a brilliant title that exceeds in just about every category. Art, music, breadth of content, game length -- La-Mulana gets the highest marks. But there's simply no denying that the difficulty, as fair as Nigoro purports it to be, is a major deterrent. If you are willing to suffer, though, you will be blown away. I guarantee it." - (Full Review)

What are your thoughts on La-Mulana?

It sounds like a great game if you're looking for a challenge!

With the Wii's life cycle coming to an end I doubt that this will do very well, but hopefully it'll get second chance once the Wii U is available.

GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

Didnt expect to see you making a thread for a Wii Ware game :P

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts
Surprised im saying this, that looks REALLY GOOD.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
Indianavania huh? I'm interested. Over 40 hours of gameplay? Cool. $10? Not sure about that but we'll see.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts
Kinda interesting actually. Any mention of a demo coming out for it? Do they release WiiWare demos anymore?? I haven't checked in a LONG time.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Getting this on Wii U

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts

Getting this on Wii U

SuperFlakeman
I'm actually holding off on all my future WW and VC purchases until WiiU comes out so I can get the points back on my WiiU deluxe. Which is a little lame, because I wanted to support this game out the gate, but I can wait for an eventual "discount" of sorts (though I'm aware it's not literally a discount).
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I remember playing this back when it first released. It's ridiculously difficult, to the point of not even being fun. A shame, because everything else is well done.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Glad that the game exists after all.
marluxia101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 marluxia101
Member since 2009 • 1614 Posts

Looks really fun but ive heard from everyone and their mother that the game is super duper hard :/ that kinda turns me off.