Lack Of Movie Support HELPING The Wii?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Even though you see the threads that complain about no movie playback on the Wii I think it's actually helping Nintendo by not having it. (I'm talking about disks based movies, not playing them in other ways like SD cards)

1. When asked, almost 70% of people are waiting until the outcome of the Blu-Ray/HDDVD war to pick a next gen player. A more telling number is that almost 40% think that ANY player purchased before the war is over is a waste. Mind you these numbers are from TV morning shows and was aimed at everyone which is mostly made up of REGULAR people, not video enthusiasts. Still, when 7 out of ten people are waiting and more then one third find anything now a waste it's pretty telling.

The Wii appeals to everyone so it makes sense that people are looking at the Wii as a game system and not looking at it as maybe the "Wrong horse in the race". This means that fewer people are being held back from getting a Wii. Especially the average people. They don't see a downside in the Wii when it comes to their multimedia systems planning for the future.

2. DVD's players are last gen. While DVD players were very expensive more then a half decade ago these days you can get a player for 30 dollars or less with more features then any console. This also plays into the "everyone" role.

Most users have a DVD player and don't see a point in getting another. Again, when people are looking at the Wii they're looking at a game system. They're not seeing it as a something that they already have 1 of. Sure some people don't have a DVD player and would like the ability to play them in the Wii but we're closing in on 2008, they're in the great minority these days and Nintendo is aiming for mass appeal this generation.

The Wii doesn't have anything to make the average consumer think "maybe I should wait". There are no battles in format holding them back and there's not a feeling of remorse from buying something they already have and don't need another.

I think the lack of movie support is a strength of the Wii with consumers, not a weakness.

MasterSwordXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 MasterSwordXXX
Member since 2007 • 943 Posts
I wouldnt care for a dvd, I could press 2 buttons on my tv for a dvd........
movin_target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 movin_target
Member since 2005 • 3412 Posts
I dont need a foruth DVD player...
But I do agree this is a strength for the Wii
Spelunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Spelunker
Member since 2002 • 11428 Posts

Maybe people don't care much that it doesn't have DVD support, but noone is saying "man, it doesn't have DVD playback? NOW I want it".

NOT having the feature isn't driving sales, or 'helping' Nintendo. The only remotely rational argument one could make is that it isn't hurting them.

MrDziekuje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 MrDziekuje
Member since 2004 • 7730 Posts
Most people already have one or more ways of playing dvds so I don't see what the whole fuss about the Wii was. People are expecting a feature they don't need.
dark_mask_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 dark_mask_91
Member since 2007 • 3004 Posts
I wouldnt care for a dvd, I could press 2 buttons on my tv for a dvd........MasterSwordXXX
thats what i would do
rebfan1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 rebfan1993
Member since 2006 • 165 Posts
Last time I checked, game systems were for playing games, not dvd's
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Maybe people don't care much that it doesn't have DVD support, but noone is saying "man, it doesn't have DVD playback? NOW I want it".

NOT having the feature isn't driving sales, or 'helping' Nintendo. The only remotely rational argument one could make is that it isn't hurting them.

Spelunker

No, I stand by that it's helping sales. I never said driving sales.

As far as a rational argument I made it above but I'll expand it.

See, the Wii enters this generation aiming at everyone and that means you're going to have to make it compete on various levels. What is the number one thing that people have buyers remorse from?

Technology, and to be more specific electronics. People buy things with dread knowing that in a few months whatever they just got home will be ancient compared to what is on the market. Not only that but the model they have is now half the price, if you can even buy it anymore.

The Wii takes that away completely. When people debate over getting a Wii they don't have to worry if the movie format it's playing will win or will their movie library be useless in 5 years. This is a huge thing when you're trying to market to everyone because it means the buyer can't be wrong. The consumer knows that their investment is 100% sure to pay off.

Giving the consumer that sort of assurance is helping sell the Wii. There is no doubt of that.

JonDohJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JonDohJersey
Member since 2007 • 624 Posts
I dont need a foruth DVD player...
But I do agree this is a strength for the Wiimovin_target
Thats what I think
frankeyser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#10 frankeyser
Member since 2004 • 5667 Posts
i definaatly dont need another dvd player. i just bought a new surround sound system so i could junk my other one with a built in dvd player and i just use my hd dvd drive and ps3 now. it also allowed me to get rid of alot of the wires i had and the selector i was ahving to use to everything would plug into the back of my tv. now i have the 360 plugged in through vga the ps3 through hdmi and the wii with component cables and i can watch movies and play games just fine. how many more dvd players do i need?
Spelunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Spelunker
Member since 2002 • 11428 Posts
[QUOTE="Spelunker"]

Jaysonguy

See, the Wii enters this generation aiming at everyone and that means you're going to have to make it compete on various levels. What is the number one thing that people have buyers remorse from?

Technology, and to be more specific electronics. People buy things with dread knowing that in a few months whatever they just got home will be ancient compared to what is on the market. Not only that but the model they have is now half the price, if you can even buy it anymore.

The Wii takes that away completely. When people debate over getting a Wii they don't have to worry if the movie format it's playing will win or will their movie library be useless in 5 years. This is a huge thing when you're trying to market to everyone because it means the buyer can't be wrong. The consumer knows that their investment is 100% sure to pay off.

Giving the consumer that sort of assurance is helping sell the Wii. There is no doubt of that.

Ahh, so now it's scientifically proven? No doubt, huh? Apparently I must have missed where that was empiracally shown beyond the shadow of a doubt.

FLEEBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FLEEBS
Member since 2006 • 1225 Posts

Um.... okay. That's one of the weirdest arguments I've ever heard. Personally, I don't think that has anything to do with Nintendo's current success.

clownofpoetry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 clownofpoetry
Member since 2004 • 501 Posts
Interesting thread. It's one of the most well written ones to the last of my knowledge. You have your case and you backed it up. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who can write blogs like that. Anyway, I think that you are right in most respects. However, a DVD player in a console is just an option. Since it's already selling a lot without it; I don't see any reason why they would have to add it. To cater to everyone is what they are trying to do, and the majority of people don't need another DVD player. Simple as that. Good work on this thread.
FLEEBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FLEEBS
Member since 2006 • 1225 Posts

I am not one of these people, but there is a lot of speculation that the Wii is not a good investment simply because of the lack of processing power and HD capability. Some even go on to say that it is not even "next gen". To me, it is the only real "next gen" console. But as far as a gaming system (which is the real reason people buy consoles) it has what it needs. I don't think lack of movie support is what's helping move consoles. I think it really boils down the gameplay experience and price. I read all the time that industry insiders (and others) say the Wii will be completely outdated in a couple of years. If people were scared to buy a system because they were worried about the technology issue you refer to, why would they plunk down the cash for something that a lot of people (not me) are saying is just a Gamecube with motion sensitive controllers?

But for the record, I don't care if my Wii does not have any sort of movie playback (other than SD, but who really does that anyway?). I like my console for what it was made for. To play games. But I do enjoy the other features it has on the Channel Menu.

[QUOTE="Spelunker"]

Jaysonguy

ravemast117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ravemast117
Member since 2005 • 486 Posts

I don't know... I mean, I'd like a DVD player built into my console. Since I never had one last gen, but.. It doesn't hurt to have one that doesn't have DVD playback.

eyewho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 eyewho
Member since 2003 • 135 Posts
there is absolutely no way that lack of a feature that even both of the competing LAST GEN consoles had can possibly HELP sales. Less features is hardly ever better not to mention a feature that would cost virtually nothing to produce.
Guckyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Guckyy
Member since 2007 • 1227 Posts

Spelunker

Maybe he's saying it's a good thing they didn't spend that extra money for DVD playback, (like every other console) because people really don't care, and they still sell like crazy. They probably wouldn't sell anymore than they did now even if they had the abitity to watch movies on your wii. So yes, I think it's helping them because they didn't spend that extra money on a worthless feature.

icarus212001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 icarus212001
Member since 2007 • 2744 Posts
after all, the wii is about simplicity. now if you'll excuse me... (goes and sits in front of calender til aug 28 comes)