Kirby's Return to Dreamland: 10/10 Review

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

http://www.destructoid.com/review-kirby-s-return-to-dream-land-214324.phtml

:O Talk about a surprise, looking forward to more reviews on this one.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts
When I saw the topic title I assumed you would be linking Official Nintendo Magazine or something... Sounds awesome!
iAzure94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 iAzure94
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
It looks like one of those games that are only fun with a group of friends. Too bad all of my friends think platformer games are too childish. Oh well... I'm going to have to wait, check it out and see.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

It looks like one of those games that are only fun with a group of friends. Too bad all of my friends think platformer games are too childish. Oh well... I'm going to have to wait, check it out and see.iAzure94

Get friends with better opinions.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

:o
Well that was unexpected. I'll wait for more reviews.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

Zelda gets a 10 from Edge and now Kirby gets a 10 from destructoid?! Sounds good to me!

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i... don't like Dtoid's reviews. and i just plain hate sterling and can't take a word of what he says seriously.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

i... don't like Dtoid's reviews. and i just plain hate sterling and can't take a word of what he says seriously.BrunoBRS

I guess this is the first Kirby game that has ever gotten a 10. Though I might be wrong.

Off topic, but I like your sig.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i... don't like Dtoid's reviews. and i just plain hate sterling and can't take a word of what he says seriously.Gamingclone

I guess this is the first Kirby game that has ever gotten a 10. Though I might be wrong.

Wow me too, new wallpaper for me, amazing work!
Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Twisted14
Member since 2007 • 3497 Posts
Not sure about destructoid reviews, but either way this is a good sign and I'm still very excited for this game.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Fan128
Nintendo_Fan128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Nintendo_Fan128
Member since 2006 • 4270 Posts

Wow, I sure was expecting good scores, but not an all out 10 xD

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Zelda gets a 10 from Edge and now Kirby gets a 10 from destructoid?! Sounds good to me!

Vickman178

Nintendo is dominating!

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Gamingclone"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i... don't like Dtoid's reviews. and i just plain hate sterling and can't take a word of what he says seriously.locopatho

thanks guys :D and gamingclone, i'm not sure on that, but i think sterling gave epic yarn a perfect 10 too. and apparently he thinks epic yarn is the most hardcore game ever. because "the challenge is in the collecting" (which is just a load of bullcrap, the game is ridiculously easy and you can get gold medals and all 3 collectible items in one run without issue in 99% of the stages)
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#14 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

That is awesome. I wish I had friends who are willing to come here and play Kirby through long sessions.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

It will almost certainly get an 8.5 from Gamespot.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="Gamingclone"]

BrunoBRS

thanks guys :D and gamingclone, i'm not sure on that, but i think sterling gave epic yarn a perfect 10 too. and apparently he thinks epic yarn is the most hardcore game ever. because "the challenge is in the collecting" (which is just a load of bullcrap, the game is ridiculously easy and you can get gold medals and all 3 collectible items in one run without issue in 99% of the stages)

Your Welcome!

and maybe he sucks at the collecting. Lol.

I guess what I meant was that I guess this is the first tradition kirby game to get a 10 :P

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

well thats interesting. i thought it was stuck with the 8.5 syndrome. still i remember DKCR getting a 10 somewhere, and then getting an 8.5 here on GS so i wont keep my hopes up for this game just yet.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="locopatho"] Wow me too, new wallpaper for me, amazing work!Gamingclone

Your Welcome!

and maybe he sucks at the collecting. Lol.

I guess what I meant was that I guess this is the first tradition kirby game to get a 10 :P

it's still sterling, and you know how much this guy loves to draw attention to himself :P
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Nintendo sure has been nailing the 2d platformers these past couple years huh?
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#20 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

http://wii.ign.com/articles/120/1200908p1.html

ign review is up.

Score: 7.5

Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Twisted14

http://wii.ign.com/articles/120/1200908p1.html

ign review is up.

Score: 7.5

wiifan001
Well that's a tad disappointing. Skimming through the review it still sounds great though.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

It looks like one of those games that are only fun with a group of friends. Too bad all of my friends think platformer games are too childish. Oh well... I'm going to have to wait, check it out and see.iAzure94

"too childish"? You're playing video games. You're playing in an imaginary world with fictional characters. Your friends need to get over themselves and play games based on how fun they are, not how "childish" they seem to be.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
from ign that means 9.5 they are the worst site for trolls nowdays besides g4, gamespot, destructoid, game informer and in all honestly no reviewers nowdays can be trusted. after reading the ign review its so bad "It might take six hours to get to what really interests me about Dreamland, but that's time very well spent for someone a fifth my age." so is he saying that the game is only good for people under 5 and the remark that it loos like a "gamecube game Seldom impressive, though Super Abilities are cool." so is he saying on how he dislikes gamecube games or its a really ugly wii game to me it doesn't even look like a gamecube game and then in sound he says"Again, nothing exceptional." really kirby games has always had great music that fits the game and then the best part is the 9.0 under lasting appeal saying"New and extra modes - there's plenty to unlock, plus multiplayer fun." so he disliked nearly everything about the game but there's a hell of a lot to do in it
J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

That's awesome.

The game definitely looks like a lot of fun, it's traditional Kirby gameplay at it's finest.

I'll be picking up my pre order today hopefully, my girlfriend and I are going to have a blast playing it.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 meetroid8

from ign that means 9.5 they are the worst site for trolls nowdays besides g4, gamespot, destructoid, game informer and in all honestly no reviewers nowdays can be trusted. after reading the ign review its so bad elbert_b_23
Can't spell ignorant without IGN right? Ofcourse they gave Epic Yarn a 9. So it can't just be a bias against games targeting younger audiences.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]from ign that means 9.5 they are the worst site for trolls nowdays besides g4, gamespot, destructoid, game informer and in all honestly no reviewers nowdays can be trusted. after reading the ign review its so bad meetroid8

Can't spell ignorant without IGN right? Ofcourse they gave Epic Yarn a 9. So it can't just be a bias against games targeting younger audiences.

no, but it can be just plain stupidity: they gave BF3's graphics a 9.5 and uncharted 3's a 10. so they have two choices: double standards or just plain dumb.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 meetroid8
[QUOTE="meetroid8"]

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]from ign that means 9.5 they are the worst site for trolls nowdays besides g4, gamespot, destructoid, game informer and in all honestly no reviewers nowdays can be trusted. after reading the ign review its so bad BrunoBRS

no, but it can be just plain stupidity: they gave BF3's graphics a 9.5 and uncharted 3's a 10. so they have two choices: double standards or just plain dumb.

It isn't a giant singular conscience. Different reviewers have different standards. But hey, can't spell ignorant without IGN.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wiifan001

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/kirby-return-to-dreamland/review.html?tag=topslot;img;1

Gamespot review is up. Like IGNs, the Score: 7.5

Why I can't freekin hyperlink? And why can't I underfreekinstand this concept that a game designed for children has to be docked negatively by critics for being too freekin easy?!

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BrunoBRS
^ you're supposed to read reviews for that very reason. they have to point out all the goods and bads, regardless of their target. so battlefield 3 is losing points for its campaign (which is stupid because i'm 8 missions in and it's awesome) even though it's a game no one bought for SP.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wiifan001
Kirby's Epic Yarn is intentionally easy, designed that you can't die. It's what the game offers and that's how it is delivered, and delivered successfully. You don't bash Metroid Other M solely for not going the continuation of a first person perspective like the Metroid Prime games, and you don't dock it because it isn't the style of Super Metroid that one wants it to be. I don't think a game should be docked negatively because it's too easy, because that's how it was designed. It's not a flaw for a game to be so easy, especially when targeted to children. What I see is critics docking the game for something it isn't, rather than what it is, and what it was meant to be all along.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 locopatho
[QUOTE="meetroid8"]

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]from ign that means 9.5 they are the worst site for trolls nowdays besides g4, gamespot, destructoid, game informer and in all honestly no reviewers nowdays can be trusted. after reading the ign review its so bad BrunoBRS

But wouldn't that be based on the standards of the platform? IE Uncharted 3 is the best on PS but there's prettier then Battlefield on PC?
Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Twisted14
I don't understand how the game got a 7.5 from GS when Epic Yarn got an 8.5. I went through the reviews and unless I'm missing something, Return to Dreamland is a little more difficult than Epic Yarn and has more features, including the extra difficulty mode, plus Multiplayer. So why is it a whole point lower?
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 locopatho
I don't understand how the game got a 7.5 from GS when Epic Yarn got an 8.5. I went through the reviews and unless I'm missing something, Return to Dreamland is a little more difficult than Epic Yarn and has more features, including the extra difficulty mode, plus Multiplayer. So why is it a whole point lower?Twisted14
Teh graphics.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
I don't understand how the game got a 7.5 from GS when Epic Yarn got an 8.5. I went through the reviews and unless I'm missing something, Return to Dreamland is a little more difficult than Epic Yarn and has more features, including the extra difficulty mode, plus Multiplayer. So why is it a whole point lower?Twisted14
reviewers are idiots
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

Funny how GameSpot whined about lack of difficulty when Kirby games have never been challenging in the first place.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
WTH! :O
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="meetroid8"] Can't spell ignorant without IGN right? Ofcourse they gave Epic Yarn a 9. So it can't just be a bias against games targeting younger audiences.

locopatho

But wouldn't that be based on the standards of the platform? IE Uncharted 3 is the best on PS but there's prettier then Battlefield on PC?

hence the "double standards". still, BF3 has the best sound design ever (previously this title was BC2's), and it sounds just as good on a console. but NOPE. 9.5 for BF and 10 for uncharted.

i don't think i'd have this much of an issue with the uncharted series if it wasn't so overrated >.>

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BrunoBRS

Funny how GameSpot whined about lack of difficulty when Kirby games have never been challenging in the first place.

TheFallenDemon

if a game series has always been known for being technically lacking, does looking ugly stop being an issue? no. they have to point out everything considered positive and negative, regardless of what the game is aiming for. is kirby extremely easy? yes? then it's their job to mention it.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wiifan001
I think the visual style is a factor, and honestly I think this time around it's legit. Epic Yarn's is totally unique and came with fresh ideas including the visuals with thread, buttons, yarn, stitches, etc. There might also be less content / replayability in this one than in Epic Yarn, and a not as impressive soundtrack (LOVED Epic Yarn's tracks). I'm still baffled about it deemed incredibly easy and critics blowing it out of logical proportion.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wiifan001
I think the visual style is a factor, and honestly I think this time around it's legit. Epic Yarn's is totally unique and came with fresh ideas including the visuals with thread, buttons, yarn, stitches, etc. There might also be less content / replayability in this one than in Epic Yarn, and a not as impressive soundtrack (LOVED Epic Yarn's tracks). I'm still baffled about it deemed incredibly easy and critics blowing it out of logical proportion.
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

I'll propably get it before the end of the year.

Cause i'm such a Nintendo fanboy.