Just got a new modem/router for the Wii U, I think it suks, you tell me.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ngrodamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 ngrodamus
Member since 2005 • 254 Posts

So I decided since my modem was pretty dang old that I'd switch it out and maybe it would better accomodate my Wii U.

Well I traded up for the SMCD3GNV Modem/Router from Comcast so I could do phone, internet, and wifi all from the same place.

Since I've switched I've run into a few hiccups, I've lost connect on BLOPS 2 a few times, It feels like I'm lagging pretty hard on Goldeneye for Wii- and I'm getting an unusual amount of Host Quits, and the downloads for Wii U are running a lot slower than they were than when I had the old modem.

I would buy my own modem but apparently it costs way extra to run phones out of my own modem through comcast.

I tried putting the modem into "bridge mode" so I could use my own router and the results not that different. Does anybody else have this modem in conjunction with their Wii U?

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
If you're running Comcast like I am, there's no two ways around it. Spend $100+ on a Motorola Surfboard Modem and get you either a good N capable, Gigabit Dlink, Netgear or Cisco Router. DO NOT GET ****** ANYTHING!!!!

I'm getting speeds of up to 34Down 8Up on my connection using this setup. Also, you need to check Comcast's Coverage in your area.
Selkc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Selkc
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

i dont know. i get my router (and modem in the same box) from my internet provider and they fix it everytime something happens free of charge. even if it means giving me a brand new one

ngrodamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 ngrodamus
Member since 2005 • 254 Posts
If you're running Comcast like I am, there's no two ways around it. Spend $100+ on a Motorola Surfboard Modem and get you either a good N capable, Gigabit Dlink, Netgear or Cisco Router. DO NOT GET ****** ANYTHING!!!!

I'm getting speeds of up to 34Down 8Up on my connection using this setup. Also, you need to check Comcast's Coverage in your area.nini200
Problem is I need to run phone from this thing too, are their any motorola surfboards that do phone and data support?
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
[QUOTE="nini200"]If you're running Comcast like I am, there's no two ways around it. Spend $100+ on a Motorola Surfboard Modem and get you either a good N capable, Gigabit Dlink, Netgear or Cisco Router. DO NOT GET ****** ANYTHING!!!!

I'm getting speeds of up to 34Down 8Up on my connection using this setup. Also, you need to check Comcast's Coverage in your area.ngrodamus
Problem is I need to run phone from this thing too, are their any motorola surfboards that do phone and data support?

I don't believe so. As far as I know, most Motorola surfboards are Coax since Comcast uses Coax for most of their services. They may have some Surfboards that have a RJ45 port though but I know Comcast is primarily a Coax company.