just bought a wii, getting better picture quality?

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Ok so I've been playing the Wii since the day it came out, I left home had a crazy few years, but now have a wife and kids. So I thought I'll pick one up for the mrs birthday and get the wii fit bundle managed to get it for well under 100, anyway so I've just realized that my TV is an LED 60in and am now a little worried about the picture quality, I know it isn't ever going to be amazing, but does anyone know of anyways to maybe make sure it's ok.

I've bought myself Component cables as this seem's to be the way to go, but wondering if maybe I got myself a component to hdmi converter that, it might make it even better??

Just seeing if anyone has any thoughts on this or have gone to this extreme. thankyou

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@bezza2011 said:

Ok so I've been playing the Wii since the day it came out, I left home had a crazy few years, but now have a wife and kids. So I thought I'll pick one up for the mrs birthday and get the wii fit bundle managed to get it for well under 100, anyway so I've just realized that my TV is an LED 60in and am now a little worried about the picture quality, I know it isn't ever going to be amazing, but does anyone know of anyways to maybe make sure it's ok.

I've bought myself Component cables as this seem's to be the way to go, but wondering if maybe I got myself a component to hdmi converter that, it might make it even better??

Just seeing if anyone has any thoughts on this or have gone to this extreme. thankyou

hdmi will be just a touch better....i had one and liked it better. it will look more like wii games on a wii U do.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@bezza2011 said:

No, it wont be at all better, actually it could be worse because you're adding another break in the chain that goes from the console to the TV

The only thing the component to HDMI does it allow the signal to be hooked into another port, you wont gain any benefit from it.

Stick with what you have now, it's impossible for it to get better.

XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 XboxStache
Member since 2013 • 1530 Posts

I actually find that my Wii games on my WiiU tend to be a lot jaggier than when played on my Wii. I'd play them on the Wii or deal with the extra jaggies.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Component is about as good as it gets when it comes to Wii. The Wii2HDMI thing does work some and helps with colors but if you have the room for component then I'd stick with that. Otherwise I heard a basic upconverter box would work the same.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#6 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

You could try this Component to HDMI Converter. I got something similar for my Gamecube to improve picture quality. It's not going to make a HUGE improvement, but it's something.

Amazon

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jaysonguy

A convertor will do nothing, it's impossible for there to be an upgrade.

YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 YearoftheSnake5
@Jaysonguy said:

Yeah, because the improved picture I see with mine is just a figment of my imagination.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jaysonguy

@YearoftheSnake5 said:
@Jaysonguy said:

Yeah, because the improved picture I see with mine is just a figment of my imagination.

Yeah, it is

Unless your HDMI port is better than your component cable

I can't believe how many people are this gullible. You're taking the same exact signal and delivering through another connector. This is why we have things like Monster Cables.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bunchanumbers

@Jaysonguy: I'm not so sure. There's been guys who used to use the scart connection which was supposed to be the purest signal and tried out a converter and they are singing the praises.

YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 YearoftheSnake5

@bunchanumbers: Mine is going from composite to hdmi, since the GC component cables are expensive as all hell. One game in particular that the converter helped is Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. There were vertical lines going down the screen in the level select menu(only there). Didn't happen on a 480i TV, but was a problem on my HDTV. After applying the converter, the lines went away and the picture isn't as bad. By no means is it a major upgrade, but it can help.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

@Jaysonguy is right, component is made for hidef and the OP tv is HD. Taking your pre HD console and converting it to hdmi is something totally different. You will get a better picture on the pre HD consoles with a non HD tv of quality and the best cable connection available period.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

Wii is pretty garbage in terms of picture quality. Component will be the best you can do. I play all my wii games on my wiiU via HDMI.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By juboner

@bunchanumbers: Are you talking about the Wii? Using the scart will get the purest original signal from the Wii which is not in HD. Now if you used the scart cable for a non HD tv you will be getting the strongest pure signal from the Wii. Connecting the non HD Wii scart cable to a HD tv will make the tv use its own upscaler which will not look as good as the scart hooked up to non HD tv bc its in native resolution, what it was intended for. The converter box is doing its own upscaling instead of the tv which is usually pretty crappy unless u got a samsung or sony. Rearranging pixels from their native output to fit something different is going to degrade quality, sure it will look better than a SD cable in an HD tv but will it really look better than on a SD tv that is of quality, no it will not. Looks like u already know this though, excuse my ranting.

I am assuming they are getting the RGB signal out of the Wii with the scart cable which would need a converter to component for American tv's.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By juboner

Lol arghh, I kinda forgot the signal sent through the Wii's component output is only 480p, so basically it all depends on the upscaler in your tv. Better to just stick with component I dont see why you would want to spend more money to try to get the Wii's picture a little better, again if your tv has a decent scaler I definitely wouldnt buy an outboard one. And then it would depend on the quality of the scaler you bought.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bunchanumbers

@juboner: I was watching a vid about a guy who used a scart to hdmi upconverter for a sega saturn and he about flipped out from how good the picture quality is. He was acting snobbish about it until he tried it and by the end he was telling everyone to consider one. I debated using one myself but never got around to it. By the end I just made my peace with the resolution of the game and went on happily gaming.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 juboner

@bunchanumbers: With some consoles it makes a big difference with better connection but others not so much. Does the scart cable for the saturn output an RGB signal? I think the older consoles should be played on SD tv's. A nice SD crt with component or S-video looks as good as your going to get with most older consoles. I think its pointless to send the RGB to a HD tv when the HD tv will distort the pixels with its scaler.

I saw a guy on youtube who was all in to using the rgb signal upscaled with an outboard scaler to his HD tv and after years of showing off his videos he switched to a crt, he finally learned.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@bezza2011 said:

Component is the best you can do with the Wii, which I had since day one 2006 launch day. HDMI converter does nothing but help people that have less ports or lack component video. The image quality could suffer as well since it's "converting" the image. The Wii outputs at 480p, that's as good as it gets. If you have an internal up-scalar for your HDTV or your AVR, you may want to bother but remember, it's still outputting at 480p at the end of the day.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#19 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I was replaying Skyward Sword a few months ago and, from what I could tell, I noticed two things:

1. Playing Wii games on the Wii makes them look slightly better than they are on the WiiU

2. Component cables is the way to go!

Of course all of that may vary according to one's perception and to the TV, but that's my take on the subject.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 juboner

@Pierst179: Wii with component cables vs Wii U with HDMI cable on the same HD tv should look very close with Wii games. But from all the stuff I have seen it will look better on the Wii like you witnessed for yourself, it is the original hardware.

I have played my Wii U on my Asus monitor with a Wii game and on my Samsung plasma both 1080p panels, the difference was huge being that the Asus monitor has a shitty scaler and samsungs are known to have pretty decent ones.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Thanks for all the advice, I've bought a component cable for it and will stick with that and see, I was only asking because I Know of someone on youtube who convertered the super nintendo into 1080p by putting a converter inside the console, with his dad as he was a electrical egineer and that and the colours looked great, the only thing I'm worried about is the size of the tv it is going on, I'll get a Wii U next year depending on whether or not they announce a new system or not, but the Wii is a great console for old games and a few good sport games, I think i spent most of my time, playing wii sports, another quick question what is the best zelda game on the wii??? fancy getting back into zelda.

YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By YearoftheSnake5

@bezza2011: Twilight Princess. Skyward Sword is meh.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By juboner

@bezza2011: Play both Zelda's. SS is good there are some annoying parts about it but overall its still a very high quality game.