This topic is locked from further discussion.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
i was just wondering how other smashers jump in SSBM... i use the Y button because i feel it's more efficient and my thumb has easier access to the other buttons i was also thinking how they could make a button just for short jumps -to pull off combos- since short jumps can turn the tables around in a match.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
"X"
IronManRhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 IronManRhino
Member since 2005 • 2135 Posts
I dunno, it's been such a long time since I played SSBM I can't even remember, but it's probably the thumb stick that I use.
Demon2545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 Demon2545
Member since 2005 • 61053 Posts
I use the joystick to jump
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
X, because that's the easiest way to short hop and wave dash.
Guckyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Guckyy
Member since 2007 • 1227 Posts
I don't see how anyone can use the joystick.
InsaneFool79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 InsaneFool79
Member since 2005 • 96 Posts

Y all the way, but sometimes ill randomly throw in the up on the stick just for the hell of it.

BET8390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BET8390
Member since 2006 • 4193 Posts
X, because that's the easiest way to short hop and wave dash.SmashBrosLegend
true but its also the hardest way to waveshine and double  laser with fox and double fair with marth
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ZumaJones07
[QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"]X, because that's the easiest way to short hop and wave dash.BET8390
true but its also the hardest way to waveshine and double  laser with fox and double fair with marth

would y'all say wave dashing is crucial in SSBM? because i honestly dont see the point... i know how to do it but, it just feels useless to me...
BET8390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BET8390
[QUOTE="BET8390"][QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"]X, because that's the easiest way to short hop and wave dash.ZumaJones07
true but its also the hardest way to waveshine and double laser with fox and double fair with marth

would y'all say wave dashing is crucial in SSBM? because i honestly dont see the point... i know how to do it but, it just feels useless to me...

LOL Its not useless...Its VERY important in Professional levels of play for comboing and mindgames...Here's an example
00Joseph00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#11 00Joseph00
Member since 2004 • 1578 Posts

Haha, someone voted for "jumping?" lol

I always use the Y button... it's sorta like the bottom C button on the N64 controllers.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ZumaJones07
[QUOTE="ZumaJones07"][QUOTE="BET8390"][QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"]X, because that's the easiest way to short hop and wave dash.BET8390
true but its also the hardest way to waveshine and double laser with fox and double fair with marth

LOL Its not useless...Its VERY important in Professional levels of play for comboing and mindgames...Here's an example

hmmm... sorry, even after watching that i feel its not essential, luigi is also one of my best characters, but all (from what i saw) he used wave dashing for was to get to whoever he was killing a bit faster than normal -which i know is the point of it - but normal speed luigi wouldn't have trouble doing the same thing... plus the people he was fighting were a joke but i do see how it could be used to trick the mind of an opponent and speed into combos ... i just feel > wouldn't be overwhelmed by such a strategy
LitBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LitBolt
Member since 2003 • 92 Posts
Up on the control stick, leaves my other thumb open for attacking. And that was just my instinct after having played the first one.
BET8390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BET8390

[QUOTE="BET8390"][QUOTE="ZumaJones07"][QUOTE="BET8390"][QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"]X, because that's the easiest way to short hop and wave dash.ZumaJones07

hmmm... sorry, even after watching that i feel its not essential, luigi is also one of my best characters, but all (from what i saw) he used wave dashing for was to get to whoever he was killing a bit faster than normal -which i know is the point of it - but normal speed luigi wouldn't have trouble doing the same thing... plus the people he was fighting were a joke but i do see how it could be used to trick the mind of an opponent and speed into combos ... i just feel > wouldn't be overwhelmed by such a strategy

I was not inclined to say this early but now I am, you know Almost nothing about Smashing. Sorry about that but I'll explain, Every move in Smash has animation lag where you can't move EVEN where your're Dashing. If you really do know how to wavedash you know you're  airdodging at a diagonal, during this you can move and do ANY standing move during this animation (if your fast enough) which as you've seen he Did an up throw wavedashed and grabbed him again, this could not have been done without WD because the animation lag of the first throw would have taken too long and even if luigi dashed to catch up his grab would not comeout fast enough (unless he jump cancelled grabbed which I'm sure you don't know Either).

There are thousands of professional smashers and everyone of them knows how to wavedash so there's no denying its effectiveness unless you want to prove me wrong. Oh and eggz, the guy you said was a joke is a pretty decent smasher and I'm sure he can beat you without losing a stock. Wavedashing is just the surface of Smashing at higher levels, there's L-cancelling, DI'ing, and everything in between. If you want further explanation just PM me and I'll give you some link, or search for these yourself I don't mind either way :D Again don't take it personal, you make up the majority of the people who play smash.

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 T3H_1337_N1NJ4
Member since 2005 • 2225 Posts

There are thousands of professional smashers and everyone of them knows how to wavedash so there's no denying its effectiveness unless you want to prove me wrong. Oh and eggz, the guy you said was a joke is a pretty decent smasher and I'm sure he can beat you without losing a stock. Wavedashing is just the surface of Smashing at higher levels, there's L-cancelling, DI'ing, and everything in between. If you want further explanation just PM me and I'll give you some link, or search for these yourself I don't mind either way :D Again don't take it personal, you make up the majority of the people who play smash.BET8390

Oh please, don't compare L-cancelling and those other stuff with wavedash's and the like!

L-cancelling was built into game, wavedash and such is just a bug exploit people like to use to pretend they are really good! I've played championships and the winners were not those who used wavedash and such, it were those who could actually play with characters without having the need to bug the game beyond belief!

Wavedashing is no diferent then using wallhacks and autoaim bots in counterstrike!

KiliK14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KiliK14
Member since 2005 • 84 Posts

Just thought I'd let you guys know that the site has been updated, and it says this about the new item

'You can also aim the launcher at different angles by tilting the control stick'...

Meaning that the Wii-mote on the side on the site does not mean ANYTHING. It was just a symbol. Thought I'd put that ridiculous theory to rest.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
I use Y,  because my analogue stick is broken
monty_4256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 monty_4256
Member since 2004 • 8577 Posts

x just seems easiest to me... just like c left was easiest in super smash bros!

monty_4256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 monty_4256
Member since 2004 • 8577 Posts

Just thought I'd let you guys know that the site has been updated, and it says this about the new item

'You can also aim the launcher at different angles by tilting the control stick'...

Meaning that the Wii-mote on the side on the site does not mean ANYTHING. It was just a symbol. Thought I'd put that ridiculous theory to rest.

KiliK14

proves this how?

my mum is at work... therefore! iraq is a complete mistake and all armies should be retracted! your idea makes no sense

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ZumaJones07
BET3980 i guess the only way for me to prove my point is he we played each other (hopefully we can in brawl) :D oh.... and i don't take what you said personally. i do however think yours and my opinion on WD are on opposite ends of the earth, at least what i got from your explanation on it. ;)
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#21 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
The X button because it was simple and easy .
BET8390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BET8390

BET3980 i guess the only way for me to prove my point is he we played each other (hopefully we can in brawl) :D oh.... and i don't take what you said personally. i do however think yours and my opinion on WD are on opposite ends of the earth, at least what i got from your explanation on it. ;)ZumaJones07
OK, I'll add you as a friend and when Brawl comes out I'll make a blog and we'll challenge (even though WD will probably be taken out) because there are a bunch of other that want to play with me too. I 'm not the best and I never said I was but from the way I hear you guys descibe your playing tactics I can probably beat you guys no prob in melee (if it were online) :P

Go to this site:Smashboards.com

its a bunch of smash pro's who go to competitions all the time, ask around and tell them what you said about WD, they're pretty nice but as I was, they will flat out unaknownledge your as a smasher if you act stubborn :P

BET8390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BET8390

[QUOTE="BET8390"]There are thousands of professional smashers and everyone of them knows how to wavedash so there's no denying its effectiveness unless you want to prove me wrong. Oh and eggz, the guy you said was a joke is a pretty decent smasher and I'm sure he can beat you without losing a stock. Wavedashing is just the surface of Smashing at higher levels, there's L-cancelling, DI'ing, and everything in between. If you want further explanation just PM me and I'll give you some link, or search for these yourself I don't mind either way :D Again don't take it personal, you make up the majority of the people who play smash.T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Oh please, don't compare L-cancelling and those other stuff with wavedash's and the like!

L-cancelling was built into game, wavedash and such is just a bug exploit people like to use to pretend they are really good! I've played championships and the winners were not those who used wavedash and such, it were those who could actually play with characters without having the need to bug the game beyond belief!

Wavedashing is no diferent then using wallhacks and autoaim bots in counterstrike!

I laugh in your noobness :lol: Don't you edgeguard?? or chain grab or DI?? If not then my 6 year old nephew can beat you. Tell me where you play these "champions" I'll pay my airfair to mainland US if these guys are willing to play Money games.

Sorry for being  rude but do the same as Zuma, I'll add you , we'll play some Brawl when It comes out (refer to the last post) But check out the site and say the same thing (PM me when you do so). Oh and I said you were a noob because the best player in the world is Ken (and almost every other smasher who plays comppetitively) and he wavedashes not alot when using his marth but Alot with his fox. I mean unless you play Peach, Bowser or donkey kong I can see why you would'nt use it but if you play anyone else  that you're not that good. EVEN MLG'S (major league gaming)  professional Smashing guide has wavedashing as it first and most important move...PROOF

Varoennauraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Varoennauraa
Member since 2005 • 135 Posts
No stick, no accidental jumps. Y button? Yes Sir!!
andrewkozis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#25 andrewkozis
Member since 2005 • 3336 Posts
from just picking up the classic controller i would say Y, its much more comfotable than any other button and feels more natural.
zeldredz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 zeldredz
Member since 2006 • 374 Posts
I saw the Topic and i thought it was about how you can move and jump and fire weapons at the same time now! Plus an Isle Delfino level!! ANd that cool bazooka thing! i voted for the control stick
quetzalcoatl45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 quetzalcoatl45
Member since 2005 • 1850 Posts
[QUOTE="T3H_1337_N1NJ4"]

[QUOTE="BET8390"]There are thousands of professional smashers and everyone of them knows how to wavedash so there's no denying its effectiveness unless you want to prove me wrong. Oh and eggz, the guy you said was a joke is a pretty decent smasher and I'm sure he can beat you without losing a stock. Wavedashing is just the surface of Smashing at higher levels, there's L-cancelling, DI'ing, and everything in between. If you want further explanation just PM me and I'll give you some link, or search for these yourself I don't mind either way :D Again don't take it personal, you make up the majority of the people who play smash.BET8390

I laugh in your noobness :lol: Don't you edgeguard?? or chain grab or DI?? If not then my 6 year old nephew can beat you. Tell me where you play these "champions" I'll pay my airfair to mainland US if these guys are willing to play Money games.

Sorry for being rude but do the same as Zuma, I'll add you , we'll play some Brawl when It comes out (refer to the last post) But check out the site and say the same thing (PM me when you do so). Oh and I said you were a noob because the best player in the world is Ken (and almost every other smasher who plays comppetitively) and he wavedashes not alot when using his marth but Alot with his fox. I mean unless you play Peach, Bowser or donkey kong I can see why you would'nt use it but if you play anyone else that you're not that good. EVEN MLG'S (major league gaming) professional Smashing guide has wavedashing as it first and most important move...PROOF

Now, Now, lets get Back on Topic shall we?

I like the stages, it looks very cool!

(PS, WD is Cheating for Elitest Losers with to much time on thier hands, And Who Gives a Crap about MLG or NP, they both Suck, its a Bug and true players dont use it) 

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Sorry for being rude but do the same as Zuma, I'll add you , we'll play some Brawl when It comes out (refer to the last post) But check out the site and say the same thing (PM me when you do so). Oh and I said you were a noob because the best player in the world is Ken (and almost every other smasher who plays comppetitively) and he wavedashes not alot when using his marth but Alot with his fox. I mean unless you play Peach, Bowser or donkey kong I can see why you would'nt use it but if you play anyone else that you're not that good. EVEN MLG'S (major league gaming) professional Smashing guide has wavedashing as it first and most important move...PROOF

BET8390

Don't worry, i didn't take any harm!

And I can kick your ass in SSBM anyday

Anyways, i've read the site, but that doesn't change anything! Lol, just because people like to call it a technique, you HAVE to admit it's a bug! It's nothing more then a bug! EVEN if it has been standardized, the truth is, the developers never intended it to happen... Thus what I was saying, It's very likely they'll remove it from the game! and there are MANY good techniques that don't involve wavedashing! And I assure you here I can beat you without the need to recur to bugs to counter your bug exploiting!

Summing it all up: You play the game as the game is, you don't wavedash. If you don't mind bug exploiting and find cheating the way to become the ultimate player, wavedash to your heart content!

Oh, and just because your 6 year old nephew can beat your ass, don't generalize it! Some people know how to play

the_leet_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 the_leet_kid
Member since 2005 • 9951 Posts

[QUOTE="BET8390"]There are thousands of professional smashers and everyone of them knows how to wavedash so there's no denying its effectiveness unless you want to prove me wrong. Oh and eggz, the guy you said was a joke is a pretty decent smasher and I'm sure he can beat you without losing a stock. Wavedashing is just the surface of Smashing at higher levels, there's L-cancelling, DI'ing, and everything in between. If you want further explanation just PM me and I'll give you some link, or search for these yourself I don't mind either way :D Again don't take it personal, you make up the majority of the people who play smash.T3H_1337_N1NJ4

lol, Even if you think it's a cheap tactic, saying that is just stupid.

pro_gamer12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 pro_gamer12345
Member since 2006 • 1801 Posts
i use all the buttons depending on my situation. For those low jumps i use the control stick but for those high jumps i use "X" or "Y". But then again....i personally like using the joystick more.
glitch-x911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 glitch-x911
Member since 2006 • 2988 Posts
I use the joystick to jumpDemon2545
same with me.
Link19619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 Link19619
Member since 2006 • 163 Posts
up on the control stick
M_Karter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 M_Karter
Member since 2006 • 410 Posts
Up on the Control Stick. Your left thumb is always their anyways.
grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#35 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
if i can remember... haven't played melee since like summer 06... i think i used the x button a lot, y is okay and the analog is good, but i just prefer the x button.
m_1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 m_1116
Member since 2007 • 58 Posts

I don't see how anyone can use the joystick.Guckyy

Agreed.

the_leet_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 the_leet_kid
Member since 2005 • 9951 Posts

[QUOTE="Guckyy"]I don't see how anyone can use the joystick.m_1116

Agreed.

Indeed.

ZinkOxide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ZinkOxide
Member since 2006 • 633 Posts
X, usually... I use the stick for edgehopped aerials but nothing else, it's far too hard to shorthop with :P
1upMushroomX6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#39 1upMushroomX6
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts
star fox
BET8390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BET8390
[QUOTE="T3H_1337_N1NJ4"]

[QUOTE="BET8390"]There are thousands of professional smashers and everyone of them knows how to wavedash so there's no denying its effectiveness unless you want to prove me wrong. Oh and eggz, the guy you said was a joke is a pretty decent smasher and I'm sure he can beat you without losing a stock. Wavedashing is just the surface of Smashing at higher levels, there's L-cancelling, DI'ing, and everything in between. If you want further explanation just PM me and I'll give you some link, or search for these yourself I don't mind either way :D Again don't take it personal, you make up the majority of the people who play smash.the_leet_kid

LOL! It took a while but Someone who actually KNOWS how to really Smash showed up and said what needed to be said.
T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 T3H_1337_N1NJ4
[QUOTE="the_leet_kid"][QUOTE="T3H_1337_N1NJ4"]

[QUOTE="BET8390"]There are thousands of professional smashers and everyone of them knows how to wavedash so there's no denying its effectiveness unless you want to prove me wrong. Oh and eggz, the guy you said was a joke is a pretty decent smasher and I'm sure he can beat you without losing a stock. Wavedashing is just the surface of Smashing at higher levels, there's L-cancelling, DI'ing, and everything in between. If you want further explanation just PM me and I'll give you some link, or search for these yourself I don't mind either way :D Again don't take it personal, you make up the majority of the people who play smash.BET8390

LOL! It took a while but Someone who actually KNOWS how to really Smash showed up and said what needed to be said.

It's not stupid, it's over the top :P

Anyways, good flamebait >_> XP

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ZumaJones07
^
Plug_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Plug_One
Member since 2007 • 501 Posts

Control stick

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34785 Posts
I always use the "X" button, myself. Don't know why, though. It probably fits my thumb best.
Avatar image for nishamuffypuppy
nishamuffypuppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#45 nishamuffypuppy
Member since 2004 • 5731 Posts
I use the X Button, but using the Y Button isn't too much different for me...