This topic is locked from further discussion.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts

Link

Sounds interesting. Discovering new development opportunities? That certainly sounds interesting. And considering the last time he spoke at GDC it was about how Nintendo would start to bring in "casuals", and the time before that he announced the Wii, this ought to be rather important. I wonder what he means by "new development opportunities"... What new opportunities to develop games has Nintendo been introduced to? I have no clue. This is going to be good.

Edit: The help system from that patent is definitely a candidate, but the chances that we can correctly guess what he will speak about are slim to none. So maybe the very fact that we thought of that means that the probability of it being topic is too high for us to expect to be right. Whatever.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

It would be very interesting if you could find a link with that quote from Iwata about "casuals". Mainly because I'm almost certain he would never use that word.

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

That is an old article.

But never the less. it is still interesting

MischiefmAker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MischiefmAker
Member since 2004 • 907 Posts

It would be very interesting if you could find a link with that quote from Iwata about "casuals". Mainly because I'm almost certain he would never use that word.LordQuorthon

Yeah, I don't recall if they actually use the word "casual." I know they like the word "disruption" though.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Head_of_games

It would be very interesting if you could find a link with that quote from Iwata about "casuals". Mainly because I'm almost certain he would never use that word.

LordQuorthon
Of course he wouldn't. That's why I put the word in quotes. None the less, it is the new gamers, the so called "casuals" that he was referring too. And Alexh_99, I know it's old but since the conference is approaching I thought people should be talking about it.
jjr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 jjr10
Member since 2005 • 5880 Posts

Maybe he's talking about this?

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Head_of_games

jjr10
It burns! It burns! Take it away! Seriously though, he would be booed off the stage if all he talked about was a new channel for five year olds.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I'm warning you all now -- don't get excited.
lil_speedy_rvd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lil_speedy_rvd
Member since 2003 • 527 Posts

Let'a not get our hopes up for anything.... we all remember a certain convention a certain time ago...

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts
[QUOTE="jjr10"]

Head_of_games
It burns! It burns! Take it away! Seriously though, he would be booed off the stage if all he talked about was a new channel for five year olds.

Why? It's the Game Developer's Conference. It is not really a press event, though in recent years, the press have decided to cover it, but the focus is developers talking with other developers. When the press do interviews, those are on the peripheral of GDC, often in hotel rooms and lobbies. E3 is for trying to impress your audience (and failing miserably). The "new development opportunities" may be about that EC edutainment and Wii Music, but it could also be about Motion+ and the DSi camera, DSi sound and photo manip software, and DSi store.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's going to be the games that play themselves

That's Nintendo's newest thing. Games that require no user input at all and you'll still be able to beat levels because the game will do all the work for you.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Head_of_games

That's Nintendo's newest thing. Games that require no user input at all and you'll still be able to beat levels because the game will do all the work for you.

Jaysonguy
Ah yes, the other idea Nintendo recently patented. Actually, I wouldn't mind that. I mean, it's not as if you would be REQUIRED to use the help system. It would just be there for those that are stuck on a part of the game. There have been games that I have adored but have parts that drive me insane. I would appreciate being able to skip particularly frustrating segments and get to the part of the game I enjoy. Plus, it would allow Nintendo the opportunity to develop more difficult games that will still appeal to "casuals" because they can skip the parts they don't like. I'd be very happy if that is what is announced.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Head_of_games

Ah yes, the other idea Nintendo recently patented. Actually, I wouldn't mind that. I mean, it's not as if you would be REQUIRED to use the help system. It would just be there for those that are stuck on a part of the game. There have been games that I have adored but have parts that drive me insane. I would appreciate being able to skip particularly frustrating segments and get to the part of the game I enjoy. Plus, it would allow Nintendo the opportunity to develop more difficult games that will still appeal to "casuals" because they can skip the parts they don't like. I'd be very happy if that is what is announced.

I haven't minded any of Nintendo's pressers

They've all done well addressing everything they wanted to address.
Also everything they talked about has done remarkably well.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Head_of_games

[QUOTE="Head_of_games"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

I thought you where against the help system?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Head_of_games"] Ah yes, the other idea Nintendo recently patented. Actually, I wouldn't mind that. I mean, it's not as if you would be REQUIRED to use the help system. It would just be there for those that are stuck on a part of the game. There have been games that I have adored but have parts that drive me insane. I would appreciate being able to skip particularly frustrating segments and get to the part of the game I enjoy. Plus, it would allow Nintendo the opportunity to develop more difficult games that will still appeal to "casuals" because they can skip the parts they don't like. I'd be very happy if that is what is announced.Head_of_games

I don't think I was, I can't be 100% sure but as of right now typing this I'm not lol

There's only one thing I'm against when it comes to Nintendo, everything else I'm good with

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Head_of_games

[QUOTE="Head_of_games"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

I don't think I was, I can't be 100% sure but as of right now typing this I'm not lol

There's only one thing I'm against when it comes to Nintendo, everything else I'm good with

I'll probably regret this but, what is the "one" thing you are against? I recall several.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Head_of_games"] I thought you where against the help system?

Head_of_games

I'll probably regret this but, what is the "one" thing you are against? I recall several.

Remakes

I hate them with a passion so great that if we started talking about giant problems in the world I'd pick remakes

Like other countries living in slavery? I hate remakes more

Children starving? I hate remakes more

Dogs? I hate remakes more

They are a deadly scourge that destroys years of entertainment and dilutes the expectations of the masses.

wyme2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wyme2
Member since 2008 • 46 Posts

Seriously! My jaw dropped the whole time I read it... :o

Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts

Jaysonguy
This. Although I don't think the new system will completely automate gameplay. We'll have to see how it turns out.
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
[QUOTE="alexh_99"]

That is an old article.

But never the less. it is still interesting

Yeah it is.
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Head_of_games
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Mike1978Smith
This. Although I don't think the new system will completely automate gameplay. We'll have to see how it turns out.

As I recall the patent says that the game can provide hints, a guide, or just play the game for you. Sounds like new development opportunities to me. Of course, who are we to attempt to predict Iwata?
Eliteshadow413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Eliteshadow413
Member since 2009 • 47 Posts

Link

Sounds interesting. Discovering new development opportunities? That certainly sounds interesting. And considering the last time he spoke at GDC it was about how Nintendo would start to bring in "casuals", and the time before that he announced the Wii, this ought to be rather important. I wonder what he means by "new development opportunities"... What new thing opportunities to develop games has Nintendo been introduced to? I have no clue. This is going to be good.

Head_of_games
Ya it will be good but "New Development Opportunities" probably means that Nintendo has bought subsidiaries or is starting a new studio. Its not a surprise really seeing he just opened Project Sora and resurrected an old sub all in this year. Meh, i wouldn't be surprised if he bought High Voltage or something...
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Head_of_games
[QUOTE="Head_of_games"]

Link

Sounds interesting. Discovering new development opportunities? That certainly sounds interesting. And considering the last time he spoke at GDC it was about how Nintendo would start to bring in "casuals", and the time before that he announced the Wii, this ought to be rather important. I wonder what he means by "new development opportunities"... What new thing opportunities to develop games has Nintendo been introduced to? I have no clue. This is going to be good.

Eliteshadow413
Ya it will be good but "New Development Opportunities" probably means that Nintendo has bought subsidiaries or is starting a new studio. Its not a surprise really seeing he just opened Project Sora and resurrected an old sub all in this year. Meh, i wouldn't be surprised if he bought High Voltage or something...

I don't think that buying other developers counts as a new development opportunity. And if they where to buy something, buy Sega! That hedgehog needs a serious overhaul.
Eliteshadow413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Eliteshadow413
DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY well it sounds obvious to me and sonic has dug his grave too far to be repaired
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jaysonguy

DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY well it sounds obvious to me and sonic has dug his grave too far to be repairedEliteshadow413

The Sonic franchise is doing the best it has since Sega stopped making consoles and it's also the strongest it's been in it's history over the same amount of time

I have no idea where you heard it was doing poorly

Eliteshadow413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Eliteshadow413
gamewise it's horrible and ever since sonic went 3D after dreamcast it hasnt been 2 good but i have 2 correct myself for my previous post worded it wrong
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Head_of_games

[QUOTE="Eliteshadow413"]DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY well it sounds obvious to me and sonic has dug his grave too far to be repairedJaysonguy

The Sonic franchise is doing the best it has since Sega stopped making consoles and it's also the strongest it's been in it's history over the same amount of time

I have no idea where you heard it was doing poorly

I have no idea where you heard that we care about sales here. We are talking about quality, not how many people have been duped into thinking that Sonic has any these days.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts
[QUOTE="Head_of_games"] As I recall the patent says that the game can provide hints, a guide, or just play the game for you.

You recall incorrectly. The game has three modes: Game, Digest, and Scene Selection. Scene Selection allows you to go to a certain part of the game without having to play all the way through to get to that point. That's really nice if you want to play a certain boss fight again that occurs near the end of the game and don't want to replay the whole game. Digest Mode quickly reviews the plot and scenarios in the game. This is useful if you don't play for a while. Ever had to jump back into a game after a couple of weeks and have absolutely no clue what you were supposed to do next? Professor Layton had an automatic Digest Mode every time you started the game; it would quickly go over the main plot points so you could jump back in. You can start playing from any point in Digest Mode, but you can't save, so it's really just for messing around and reminding yourself of what happened so far. "Game" allows you to actually play the game. There are a number of activities throughout the game that are flagged as puzzles. Whenever a player gets stuck on one of these activities for a certain about of time, it will trigger a Hint button to appear. Pressing the hint button will make a little PIP video pop up, showing the puzzle being solved. It's like instantly pulling up a youtube walkthrough video, but without the hassle of getting on the computer and searching for it. Myst Masterpiece Edition, which has wickedly hard puzzles, featured a 3-type hint system that would, based on what you asked, give you little clues, bigger clues, or tell you exactly how to solve the puzzle. Professor Layton also had a 3-type hint system. Hint systems are very common in puzzle-heavy games.