It's gotta be an expensive controller?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

parksits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 parksits
Member since 2005 • 1037 Posts

If the Wii mote alone was 40 bucks, this thing with an almost HD Touch screen and all the sensors and doodads has got to be at LEAST $100 bucks no? I love it though, at first I was hmmm..well...I didn't know what to think, but now that we've seen it in action I think it's gonna open up a whole new dimension to gaming. Did anyone hear anything about battery? Im assuming it charges.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

You can buy an android tablet for a hundred bucks. With that in mind I don't think it will be that much, since there is no computing element in it. The controller just streams video from the console.

It has a rechargable battery, yes.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts
79.99$ is my bet
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Im betting 49.99. Without tax ofcorse.

I mean really, I dont know much about technology granted, but from the way people talk about pc hardware and other kinds of hardware in sw, it makes me think that Nintendo could pull this controller off with technology that is not that new. But even if it is pricey, we have till sometime in mid to late 2012 for launch, so there is time for the technology to getcheaper.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

from the looks of it yea Im thinking its gonna be an expensive controller..

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

The Wii U seems to be compatible with all kinds of Wii controllers so, I don't see how the main controller's price could be a big issue.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

It'll probably be about the same cost as a wiimote+Nunchuck.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ThePlothole

The Wii U seems to be compatible with all kinds of Wii controllers so, I don't see how the main controller's price could be a big issue.

LordQuorthon

The Wii is compatible with Gamecube games. That doesn't mean every game supports them. Developers will generally develop primarly for the default controller.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts
Yeah I don't think it will be that expensive, most of the stuff in it, you can find in a cheap cell phone, a camera, microphone etc. It doesn't have an really sophisticated hardware outside the screen, I would expect 50, no more than 60.
bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts

Im betting 49.99. Without tax ofcorse.

I mean really, I dont know much about technology granted, but from the way people talk about pc hardware and other kinds of hardware in sw, it makes me think that Nintendo could pull this controller off with technology that is not that new. But even if it is pricey, we have till sometime in mid to late 2012 for launch, so there is time for the technology to getcheaper.

Gamingclone

at that price, it's a steal... i mean the ps3 controller is 55 and the 360 wireless was running up to 40-50 before (not sure about now). dam n, i really hope it is 50 bucks.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sepewrath
Well those controllers, especially the 360 controller is grossly overpriced. Nintendo cant afford to overcharge for this thing.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="LordQuorthon"]

ThePlothole

The Wii is compatible with Gamecube games. That doesn't mean every game supports them. Developers will generally develop primarly for the default controller.

usually i'd agree, but here it seems the wiimote is as much of a default controller as the screen thing (which should totally be called a wiiblet). every gameplay shown seems to make use of both. i don't doubt it ships with a wiimote. like devs pointed out, it's a swiss army knife. they can make wiimote games, wiimote+nunchuk games, wiiblet games, and games that combine both. and that's not taking the balance board in consideration.
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

I think theres only going to be one WiiU controller. All the demos showed Wii Motes being used instead of multiple tablets. Why use Wii Motes when trying to reveal new tech unless necessary?

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sepewrath
To show, that wiimotes work with the system and to show the versatility of the U controller vs the Wiimote.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LordQuorthon

ThePlothole

That's different. The Wii U will come with its own controller. All the local multiplayer needs could be easily solved with all the Wiimotes and cl4ssic controllers we already have. And all of those will more than likely be mass produced through the next generation for that same reason in case we have to replace some of them anyway.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BrunoBRS
To show, that wiimotes work with the system and to show the versatility of the U controller vs the Wiimote. Sepewrath
but the wiiblet (YES I'M CALLING IT A WIIBLET UNTIL THEY NAME IT SOMETHING), as gamespot pointed out, lacks the "aerodynamics" for proper motion controlling in most cases, something that the wiimote has more than enough.
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts

Well, according to this statement from a Nintendo rep, an expensive controler might be a problem that none of us have.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LordQuorthon

Well, according to this statement from a Nintendo rep, an expensive controler might be a problem that none of us have.

Arc2012

Makes sense. As long as Wiimote, Wiimote + Nunchuck and Cl4ssic controller/pro work, everything should be fine.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ThePlothole

Arc2012
Let me quickly retort with this:
http://kotaku.com/5809706/nintendo-looking-into-games-that-support-two-new-controllers

"We're considering our options with maybe two screens," Eguchi told Kotaku, who said he considers multiple New Controller games to be "an interesting idea." That would mean games that used two new Wii U controllers

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BrunoBRS
^ yeah i don't think not getting more than one controller would work. plus, more tablet controllers = FOUR SWORDS.
bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts

the more i think about, the more it makes sense that only one controller at a time for each console is a possibility. if the things have to stream from the console, the console has to be pretty powerful while emitting a lot of high information signals. Personally, I REALLY want to be able to use more than one of these controllers at a time (Cause the possibiliites of games are so large) but it is definitely a possibility for both scenarios.

However, i do trust nintendo with this. If it has nothing to do with online, nintendo has been pretty good about making decisions. Either way, i believe nintendo will make the right decision, especially with something as game changing as this.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

My guess for the WiiU remote is going to be around $59.99-$69.99... (The tech itself over time reduces in cost, so will reduce in price, However in about a years time to launch, inflation will effect, and It is actually snowballing and will continue to lol, so its difficult to tell)

Which is one reason why I think they are waiting a year for the Tech to not cost them so much to mass produce because the cost of the Tech will go down in a year largely due to (and thanks to for once) Cell Phones... Not to mention to have time for some of the games to finish to have atleast a few WiiU launch titles! As well as finishing up and optimizing the services and certian things.

Avatar image for decepticondevil
decepticondevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 decepticondevil
Member since 2003 • 3607 Posts
I'd really be surprised if we ended up seeing multiple tablet controllers connected to one console. Like someone else said, it has to take some power to run the main display, plus the touch screen display. Now if we start talking about 2-4 tablet controllers running at once, that's up to 5 HD screens running simultaneously from one console. I just don't see it. Regardless, for people speculating on prices, I'd like to direct you to this link; http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2006/11/8239.ars That's a report from 4 years ago breaking down the costs of the PS3 and the losses Sony was taking on each console sold ($241-$306, depending on the model sold) and while that is a bit of a high loss, it's not uncommon at all for companies to take losses on hardware in order to get the hardware in homes and get the software selling at a profit. So while we can speculate on how much it costs to manufacture touch screens, LCDs, etc.... it really doesn't mean a whole lot until Nintendo decides to reveal prices.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ThePlothole
I'd really be surprised if we ended up seeing multiple tablet controllers connected to one console. Like someone else said, it has to take some power to run the main display, plus the touch screen display. Now if we start talking about 2-4 tablet controllers running at once, that's up to 5 HD screens running simultaneously from one console. I just don't see it. Regardless, for people speculating on prices, I'd like to direct you to this link; http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2006/11/8239.ars That's a report from 4 years ago breaking down the costs of the PS3 and the losses Sony was taking on each console sold ($241-$306, depending on the model sold) and while that is a bit of a high loss, it's not uncommon at all for companies to take losses on hardware in order to get the hardware in homes and get the software selling at a profit. So while we can speculate on how much it costs to manufacture touch screens, LCDs, etc.... it really doesn't mean a whole lot until Nintendo decides to reveal prices.decepticondevil

I highly doubt that the screen is HD.

EC1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 EC1982
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I got interested enough in Wii-U today to officially join GamesSpot, which I hadn't done before. I think Wii-U looks interesting ... but right now, especially in this economy (yeah, I used the phrase "in this economy"!), I can't see 86 million households going out and replacing their Wiis with Wii-Us. Even though it's not out until 2012, it seems to me they should be poised for a semi-slow start. I mean, look at the 3DS with 3.6 million units, at least 10% short of Nintendo's softest expectations. I just can't see people running out and buying this at any price since families seem pretty content with Wii and gamers -- well, maybe I'm wrong but I kind of doubt a couple of M-rated titles will have you guys going out and shelling out 200 clams for a Nintendo?
Nuju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nuju
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I dunno, this sort of thing has a LOT of appeal to the entire age range of gamers, the youngsters and family players get the cheesy but ever so fun, addictive puzzle/arcade/family games which are quick and addictive. Yet the hardcore gamers get the HD graphics, unique controls, decent sound etc ... I can see a LOT of potential in this and can see it easily being one of the quickest selling consoles! the 3DS sales are only low atm due to virtually no games for it.
Requem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Requem
Member since 2005 • 539 Posts

[QUOTE="LordQuorthon"]

ThePlothole

That's right but that was because Gamecube controller didn't have motion sensors. In this situation however, a wiimote have almost all the input a wii U controller has (excluding the touchscreen), besides you get 2 screens with only 1 controller. I'm quessing it will be possible to play a lot of multiplayer games with just one controller and a bunch of wiimotes.

canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 canadianloonie
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts

Arc2012

What is the point of this when we can only have one tablet controller?

If you have 2 kids, one will be playing. one will be crying.

Rosaflame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Rosaflame
Member since 2011 • 57 Posts
Nintendo is usually really good about their pricing so I don't think it will be much of an issue.
Yung_Thrandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Yung_Thrandy
Member since 2008 • 140 Posts

Well, if its expecnsinve you wont be throwin it around when u get mad. You'll prolley jus through the old Game Cube Controller lol.

nchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nchan
Member since 2004 • 1059 Posts
Well, even at $69, the Ucontroller is still cheap, consider PS3 controller cost $54 without tax.
schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

[QUOTE="Arc2012"]

canadianloonie

[QUOTE="Arc2012"]

canadianloonie

one can only hope that this is not true........would be epic fail..........epic..
mcgrady1hou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mcgrady1hou
Member since 2007 • 170 Posts

$79.99 to $150 maybe

Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 Nozizaki
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

I'd say it'll probably cost in the $80 ball park, but this shouldn't matter that much, as a controller generally comes with your console. I can't see more than 2 running on this thing.

There aren't any buttons/features not on the Wii Remote + Classic Controller, besides Gyroscope, Screen asnd Camera.

PoindeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PoindeJ
Member since 2005 • 686 Posts

In Iwata Asks (see part 5, "Wii U and the Wii Remote"), Miyamoto and Iwata seem to imply that you'll only be able to use one Wii U controller with 4 remotes for a total of 5 controllers. I'm not convinced they've totally made up their mind on this, though... or really anything that has to do with this new console, heh.