isn't the camera alone worth buying the DSi?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
Most of you have been complaining that the cameras on the DSi are useless and gimicky. You say that you don't need a DS with a camera because you already have one. Let me ask you a question: Do you really think nintendo would be dumb enough to put a camera in their next system for the sole purpose of taking pictures? It's like saying that Wii Speak is useless because you already have a headset. Or saying the buttons on a controler are useless because you have buttons on your cell phone. Wake up and smell the roses people! Nintendo knows that most people already have a device that captures photos, yet they put the cameras in anyways. Does it not occur to you that a company as experienced as the big N wouldn't use the camera for awesome games? I mean come on, haven't you all seen the head tracking videos on youtube? That feture alone would warrent a purchase in my book. Or better yet, haven't you guys realized that the camera is perfectly compatable for use as an online camera for the wii? Just sell your old (not to gamespot) DS before the DSI comes out and you can use the cash to make the upgrade not so expensive considering all the features it includes. End of rant.
Avatar image for child_of_lileth
child_of_lileth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 child_of_lileth
Member since 2007 • 4066 Posts
im sure they will figure out a ton of new features to do with it. but the thing with me is, i see it kinda like the tilt sensing thing in those old tilt and tunble style games they had on the gba. i just dont think there will be enough games that need it for me to actually want to spend my money on another ds just for a camera. i know they wont add that for no reason, but untill i see a good enough reason to put money into it, im not interested enough to buy it
danny5329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 danny5329
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts

Most of you have been complaining that the cameras on the DSi are useless and gimicky. You say that you don't need a DS with a camera because you already have one. Let me ask you a question: Do you really think nintendo would be dumb enough to put a camera in their next system for the sole purpose of taking pictures? It's like saying that Wii Speak is useless because you already have a headset. Or saying the buttons on a controler are useless because you have buttons on your cell phone. Wake up and smell the roses people! Nintendo knows that most people already have a device that captures photos, yet they put the cameras in anyways. Does it not occur to you that a company as experienced as the big N wouldn't use the camera for awesome games? I mean come on, haven't you all seen the head tracking videos on youtube? That feture alone would warrent a purchase in my book. Or better yet, haven't you guys realized that the camera is perfectly compatable for use as an online camera for the wii? Just sell your old (not to gamespot) DS before the DSI comes out and you can use the cash to make the upgrade not so expensive considering all the features it includes. End of rant.Head_of_games

I haven't read this bad of a Blog in ages.

despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts
I would buy the DSi for the DS Ware alone
whitefirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 whitefirex
Member since 2006 • 839 Posts

I would buy the DSi for the DS Ware alonedespa1r_fact0r

i agree, the ds ware is gonna be awesome, and the cameras is a nice little bonus. so the dsi is a day 1 buy for me =)

Skylark2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Skylark2012
Member since 2008 • 41 Posts
Yeah, you make some pretty good points. It just occured to me that they wouldn't do something that dumb, but then again you never know. I'm really happy wit my lite. happy enough. But I'll think about whether i should recommend the DSi to my friends after i get some proof.
Avatar image for manwithnoplan91
manwithnoplan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 manwithnoplan91
Member since 2005 • 290 Posts
Two .3 mega pixel cameras aren't worth the production costs...The DSi gets rid of the GBA slot so chances are I'm getting a Lite instead.
brawl_96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 brawl_96
Member since 2008 • 3953 Posts
Two .3 mega pixel cameras aren't worth the production costs...The DSi gets rid of the GBA slot so chances are I'm getting a Lite instead.manwithnoplan91
ones 3mega pixels, not .3
FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FILIPINOMAZTER
Member since 2008 • 1627 Posts
well some sites says that the camera will be a .3 mp resolution but not say that both cameras are
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts

well some sites says that the camera will be a .3 mp resolution but not say that both cameras areFILIPINOMAZTER

The outside camera is a 3mp and the camera on the inside is a .3mp

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts
No!!!
crispyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 crispyo
Member since 2005 • 1801 Posts

what? like 1 or 2 games? the ds is well into it's time and i can't imagine a great deal of games to use it. and like said, it's only a 3mp camera. i don't think it's bad and a waste of money, i just personally don't think it's worth if you already have a ds.

Though, i'm sure i remember everyone saying this for the lite lol and look how that turned out. so i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Steel_Knight23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Steel_Knight23
Member since 2008 • 227 Posts

I would buy the DSi for the DS Ware alonedespa1r_fact0r

you took the words out of my mouth :P

Archale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Archale
Member since 2006 • 2129 Posts

Oh yeah, the camera is a great idea.

So is the region lock, huh?
I own a GBA, so I couldn't care less about the loss of the slot, but adding cameras? useless, this is a gaming device, if I wanted a media device, I'd have gone with the PSP, don't you think? For people who have a lite, this downgrade is useless, for people that don't own a DS already or have a Phat, the DSi would be the way to go

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts
No offence but Nintendo doesn't always know what they are doing.

A camera is not a good reason to buy a new handheld, if that was the case the PSP would be the number one handheld.
jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
You fail to realize the DS is lacking technical aspects. I can see each pixel on the screen. I don't want to see my face pixelated. For a "mii" it makes sense. Anything beyond that is out of the DS' reach.
Jon_To_The_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#17 Jon_To_The_C
Member since 2008 • 189 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't use it at all. I don't put movies or screenshots of my games online. As for taking normal pictures, I'm really not going around my school using my Nintendo DS as a camera.
Archale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Archale
Member since 2006 • 2129 Posts

No offence but Nintendo doesn't always know what they are doing.
JLF1

HERETIC!! Should I point you to the timeless Virtual Boy?

Oh, wait.....

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts

You fail to realize the DS is lacking technical aspects. I can see each pixel on the screen. I don't want to see my face pixelated. For a "mii" it makes sense. Anything beyond that is out of the DS' reach.jjtiebuckle

Did i say anything about taking a picture of your face? Besides, that's what i'm trying to point out, that the camera is for so much more than just pictures.

Avatar image for green_plumber16
green_plumber16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 green_plumber16
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I am not sure what to think of the dsi, I geuss we will all see what its capable of in November
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#21 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
DSi fails on so many levels. Cameras are useless, so they somehow incorporate some gimmicky game with it, big whoop. No GBA slot means no backwards compatibility, which I'm sure, many people want to see in most of their systems.
VenomRitual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 VenomRitual
Member since 2005 • 1045 Posts

LOL you are kinda slow on the draw there. we know it's for games. a crappy 3.0 megapixel camera. but what games?!??!!? why are they adding expensive accessories to the DS that require the DSi look at my face while im playing. close this forum. it's ridiculous

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

[QUOTE="despa1r_fact0r"]I would buy the DSi for the DS Ware aloneSteel_Knight23

you took the words out of my mouth :P

Despa1r makes a good point.
manwithnoplan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 manwithnoplan91

LOL you are kinda slow on the draw there. we know it's for games. a crappy 3.0 megapixel camera. but what games?!??!!? why are they adding expensive accessories to the DS that require the DSi look at my face while im playing. close this forum. it's ridiculous

VenomRitual

Actually the camera is .3 mega pixels...3 mega pixels would be worth it imo.

manwithnoplan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 manwithnoplan91
My bad, just noticed the correction on the 1st page of this thread. A 3 mega pixel camera warms me up to the DSi a little.
tekky14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 tekky14
Member since 2007 • 212 Posts

No offence, but there will be NO games for DSi that use a camera. What are they gonna make, pokemon snap for DSi? plus, don't forget that its still a DS, so its mandatory for it to be backwards compatible.

For me, the camera alone doesn't warrant a purchase, but DSware and DS virtual console do. Plus, my old DS lite is going to have a hinge crack any day now:cry:

Acctually, If nintendo was dumb enough to not notice the thousands of hinge cracks and hingeless DS lites, Im a little hesitant on getting a DSi. Im going to have to see if they improved on the design before I buy one.

sumo1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sumo1973
Member since 2005 • 1195 Posts

I'd like to see what the camera can do on the DSi first when it comes out in Europe and North America before I even think about getting one. I have the old DS Phat and an old Gameboy Camera, I'm happy enough so far.