Is Zelda Ocarina of Time 3DS a hard game to do without a walkthrough?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8842 Posts

I admit I am not good at video games, and the last game I played through halfway I used the walkthrough a lot, because it was pretty complex.

Is the new Zelda game for the 3DS hard to play without a walkthrough? Does it have puzzles and riddles that are hard to figure out on your own?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

yea... you will be thinking in certain parts for like 5 or 10 minutes wondering how to do something..

but you dont need a walkthrough....just when you get stuck check online its easy and only takes a second.

Dycras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dycras
Member since 2009 • 1226 Posts
Idk, definitely not at the beginning, the only part that got me was just finding a box to put on a switch in jabu jabu. After that it gets a little more difficult, but I just used the visions by the temple of time if I really needed help.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#4 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Original Quest: No Master Quest: YES. You will get stuck on the 1st temple if you don't know the game mechanics.
mamelon2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mamelon2012
Member since 2011 • 309 Posts
For me? I need walkthroughs... I get stuck and try for a while to figure it out but I guess i just suck haha
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

not rly. Zelda games are pretty easy. The puzzles aren't anything elaborate. I never once needed to use a walk through. Idk maybe its just me. I played so many games i guess I just know all the tricks in the book :P

Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts
probably in the beginning, just a little bit. But it shouldn't be too difficult for the average person.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hydralisk86

not rly. Zelda games are pretty easy. The puzzles aren't anything elaborate. I never once needed to use a walk through. Idk maybe its just me. I played so many games i guess I just know all the tricks in the book :P

painguy1

Yeah, I kinda figured that would be the case for some people. For example, if there is a puzzle with 5 dots on a sheet, then just connect the dots, and the dungeon gate opens. Then, that little "Success" Zelda theme plays, and you go inside.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I never played the 3DS version, but in the original one I found some dungeons to bea little tricky, but most are easy enough for me on my own.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

yeah my brother is stuck at the easiest part :lol:

GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

I don't know, the first time I played through this game, which was 1 year ago or so, I had absoulutly no trouble with the game except for the water temple because I didn't know you could just run right up to the boss door. But now when I'm playing it on my 3DS, I'm STUCK! I'm not even on a hard part :? I can't get the king of the Zora's to move to the side! How do I move him to the side? I mean, I believe I've tried everything! After that I will have no problem at all with the game.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#12 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

I admit I am not good at video games, and the last game I played through halfway I used the walkthrough a lot, because it was pretty complex.

hydralisk86

What game is this you speak of? That would help me answer the question.

Anyway, for newer gamers not used to games past the last two generations, OoT will be very difficult and will almost certainly take use of a walkthrough. If you're an older gamer, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]

GamerForca

Anyway, for newer gamers not used to games past the last two generations, OoT will be very difficult and will almost certainly take use of a walkthrough. If you're an older gamer, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Indeed.

I'm tempted to use a game guid simply because I'm stuck at a EASY PART that I'm almost certain your not suppoused to get stuck at. I can't for the life of me get King Zora to move!

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerForca"]

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]

GamerEye

Indeed.

I'm tempted to use a game guid simply because I'm stuck at a EASY PART that I'm almost certain your not suppoused to get stuck at. I can't for the life of me get King Zora to move!

Thats not easy. That was one of the trickiest parts in Zelda back in the day. Most people played the game countless times so they have memorized it. If its your first time playing it, then a lot of things will not seem clear.

Moving Jababa, and feeding the fish later.

Where to get Dins Fire

The Water Temple

How to aquire the Lens of Truth

and how to figure out the first half of the Spirit Temple.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GamerForca

Indeed.

GamerEye

Ah, yes, I never had TOO much of a problem with that, even back in the day, but that's one of the things you must figure out by talking to people and just doing everything you can. If you want to know how to do that, check the below spoiler.

[spoiler] Do the diving minigame until you get the flippers/scale (whatever it was) so you can dive deeper. The minigame is easy. Random Zoras will tell you about Lake Hylia. Go there and find the bottle in the ocean (near a Zora). Take that to the King. [/spoiler]

KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

You don't really need to use a walkthrough for it, most of the puzzles are quite easy and the harder ones will just make you think a bit. You really just need to use logic and common sense.

If you do get stuck somewhere you just need to go round talking to people and doing what you can like the mini games.

Brendoge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Brendoge
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Is the new Zelda game for the 3DS hard to play without a walkthrough? Does it have puzzles and riddles that are hard to figure out on your own?

hydralisk86

Hydra, I would try playing through Ocarina of Time without help, sometimes it's quite fun to have a challenge (especially Master Quest). The famous 'water temple' might have you stumped, but keep trying, you'll pull through. The only reason I'd say yes to is when; you feel you need a guide or walkthrough for the gold skultula's or Master Quest (This edition of the game is even quite brutal for the seasoned Zelda gamer). Good luck!

Kojo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kojo222
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts
Don't ruin your sense of accomplishment with a walkthrough!!! Especially with this game! There are one or two areas where I would've liked help. One being the insidious Water Temple, and there's a part of the Forest Temple keeps you going in circles if you don't watch your map.
knives913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 knives913
Member since 2011 • 142 Posts
For me it's hard. I definitely need walkthroughs.
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Used a walkthrough for Dodongo's Cavern (Master Quest version). The answer was so damn obvious that I haven't checked out any hints or walkthroughs after that. If I can't find my way I quit the game and continue later. That method has worked quite nicely and at the moment I'm making my way through the Spirit Temple.

midisurfmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 midisurfmind
Member since 2003 • 503 Posts

I never played the original back in the day, and I find myself suddenly coming to a halt every now and again, often in the sort of situations you don't expect to get stuck. To me it has a few moments that I find very unintuitive, and there have been several cases already (I'm about 10 hours in, probably 5 hours worth of progress for Zelda vets or people who plough through games) where I've come up with the correct solution for something but wasn't in the exact place I needed to be or some similar minor reason. Because of the wide spaces available to you, you are trying things then moving on, so I'd work out the puzzle, but go about fixing it in the wrong way, and only find out by checking a FAQ that I had actually been on the right lines in the first place. There are also times when Navi says "hey" but the touch screen prompt gives you approximately 5% of a millisecond to respond before the opportunity to press it disappears, which is pretty frustrating.

In all fairness, it's an old game, from a series which takes a fair bit of getting used to. Being old, it doesn't offer as much in the way of handholding as more modern games (even the hints system very rarely is of help to me, as it gives hints about the bleeding obvious but never what I want to know) and there are occasions where fewer hints are given.

So far it's been well worth suffering through the unintuitive spots, but I've already used walkthroughs far more than I did at any point in something more modern like Twilight Princess, or Links Awakening (older than Ocarina, but for me it's easier and more intuitive). Normally the point at which I need to use a FAQ is the point I have to sell the game as the game becomes a chore, but this game is one of the few exceptions.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'm stuck, but I've also been pretty terrible at Zelda games. I've barely started my journey, too.

Avatar image for starwarsgeek112
starwarsgeek112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 starwarsgeek112
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts

Finding all the heart pieces and gold skulltula tokens would be pretty difficult without a walkthrough but the actual game itself is pretty easy. I hadn't played the game in years so I was expecting to get stuck at least a few times but I pretty much just breezed through the game. Navi pretty much always tells you where to go and the map always has blinking icons on where you should be going.. and there are the sheikah stones.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#24 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
For the most part no. There are a couple of really obtuse steps to ge some items a little ways into the game, though. But the little helper stones definitely work well, and I like that they don't just give you the full solution, they're more of a hint.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hydralisk86

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]

GamerForca

I'm talking about Radiant Historia for the DS. Basically, in the game, you have to go to the right points in history, and I find that hard because there are no hints, at least I didn't see any.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4189 Posts

Dude I don't know, but Link's awakening definitely needs a guide. I mean the game is really hard to know what to do without one. Anyone agree?

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GamerForca

Dude I don't know, but Link's awakening definitely needs a guide. I mean the game is really hard to know what to do without one. Anyone agree?

outworld222

No, not really. Tougher than ALttP though.

I'm talking about Radiant Historia for the DS. Basically, in the game, you have to go to the right points in history, and I find that hard because there are no hints, at least I didn't see any.hydralisk86

Nevermind, never played it.

joshuarocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 joshuarocker
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts
I bought this game to play on vacation but got stuck in an early part. Since I didn't have easy access to the Internet I had to stop playing. Grumble!
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#29 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Some parts can be.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

I bought this game to play on vacation but got stuck in an early part. Since I didn't have easy access to the Internet I had to stop playing. Grumble!joshuarocker

the 3ds has a internet browser :|

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#32 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

[QUOTE="joshuarocker"]I bought this game to play on vacation but got stuck in an early part. Since I didn't have easy access to the Internet I had to stop playing. Grumble!KBFloYd

Probably no nearby wifi. I tried using the 3DS browser to find OoT hints once, though, and gave up. iPod Touch works much better.
joshuarocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 joshuarocker
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts

[QUOTE="joshuarocker"]I bought this game to play on vacation but got stuck in an early part. Since I didn't have easy access to the Internet I had to stop playing. Grumble!KBFloYd

My wife and I went to Mexico for our 10th anniversary. Wifi can be hard to come by down there. I could have paid to use the Internet but it wasn't worth that much to me. I brought splinter cell as a back up and that kept me occupied during my game playing free time.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
It's tough to say, it's easy for me because I'm familiar with the game but sometimes I wonder how I would figure out where to go next. For example: When Sara tells you to go to Zoras domain I'm sure they make it clear where that is.
AwesomeKenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AwesomeKenny
Member since 2010 • 375 Posts
yes it is hard to do without a guide. that's why I got the guide for OOT from Amazon. :D
HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

For me its alot of trial and error. I only used a walkthrough for the water temple. The shadow temple was the easiest imo.

sonyfreak456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sonyfreak456
Member since 2013 • 46 Posts
Unless your an item collector like me, you won't need the guide. I use the guide to get heart pieces, gold skutullas, and other miscellaneous objects in the game.
Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#38 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts
No. The only parts that ever get me stuck in OoT when I play it are the Forest Temple and the Water Temple. Outside of those, it's not a difficult game as far as knowing what to do next.
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

A thread from 2011, DEAR GOD! BTW I started OOT for the ummm... third time!

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#40 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
No reason to bump this. Good thing this isn't new, because I have some scathing opinions of OoT's temple design
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#41 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

as far as figuring out exactly what you need to progress to the next dungeon, yes, it can be tricky for a first timer.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#42 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I was about to throw my two cents into the discussion when I noticed how old this thing is!