Is WiiFit for lazy people?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

msuspartan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 msuspartan11
Member since 2009 • 572 Posts

I'm wondering do any of you think Wii Fit is for lazy people that don't just go outside an excersize? I feel like people have mixed feelings about this from what I've noticed.

I sort of feel like it is. I mean it's good and everything but I don't think people can lose much weight by doing pushups and yoga once a day. Many of you are probably thinking "No they're not lazy, they just bought Wiifit" I feel like that 90$ could go towards something like a gym membership or something.

Your thoughts?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Do you also think that a gym is for lazy people?

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
I don't think lazy people would shell out 90 bucks for something they can do for free.
DS_Lightning21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 DS_Lightning21
Member since 2007 • 741 Posts

WiiFit was designed for people who have a difficult time motivating themselves to exercise, and lack the time and commitment to do so (and other reasons too). If that's what you mean by lazy, then sure, that works.

I enjoy playing Wii Fit. One time I tried doing the Jackknife exercises without the WiiFit trainer, and it seemed a lot tougher. Without the trainer, it's easy just to say "nah, I don't feel like doing anymore reps". I guess the whole "personal trainer" motivation helps to keep working towards the fitness goals. And of course, the balance board ensures that the exercises are being done correctly.

WiiFit is just one of those products that are trying to get more people to exercise that usually don't do so on a regualr basis. A lot of "lazy" people just so happen to fit into that category.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
I don't think lazy people would shell out 90 bucks for something they can do for free.OreoMilkshake
Well most people cant just do Yoga themselves they need some sort of guide, whether you go to a class or get a video or something your still paying money. Some people just cant exercise without direction, why do you think there are personal trainers, I mean what do they do that you can do yourself? like DS its for people who cant or don't want to go to a gym or want to do high impact workouts like the ones you find on exercise tapes and stuff.
DDRMom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DDRMom
Member since 2008 • 1360 Posts

I sort of feel like it is. I mean it's good and everything but I don't think people can lose much weight by doing pushups and yoga once a day. Many of you are probably thinking "No they're not lazy, they just bought Wiifit" I feel like that 90$ could go towards something like a gym membership or something.Your thoughts?msuspartan11

There is a huge home fitness market that was largely ignored by the gaming industry until Nintendo introduced wii fit. Almost since the dawn of tv there have been fitness programs on tv that women exercised to. The vcr introduced home exercise videos which led to accessories being bundled with dvds that we see at Costco. It seems a logical step to make fitness more interactive through your tv with the use of a console.

I do not think it is lazy to want to exercise in the comfort of your own home at your own pace whenever you want to. Its lazy if you buy it and dont use it. ;)

wiidskirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wiidskirby
Member since 2008 • 1317 Posts

Actually, I think all video games are for (somewhat) lazy people.

No offense, and I include myself in this category, but we just sit around for a few hours controlling a character on the TV.

Granted, these games are very fun and addicting.

I am sure all of you do other things and are social...unlike me.

JERMINITIS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 JERMINITIS
Member since 2007 • 1517 Posts

I'm wondering do any of you think Wii Fit is for lazy people that don't just go outside an excersize? I feel like people have mixed feelings about this from what I've noticed.

I sort of feel like it is. I mean it's good and everything but I don't think people can lose much weight by doing pushups and yoga once a day. Many of you are probably thinking "No they're not lazy, they just bought Wiifit" I feel like that 90$ could go towards something like a gym membership or something.

Your thoughts?

msuspartan11

For lazy people? lol, prolly not just them

But, I can say that there is a very largeretirement neighborhood near where I live,and tons of Wii's & WiiFit's have been sold to the 'older' crew from our local WalMart.

nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 nygiants1080
Member since 2004 • 9413 Posts
It could go both ways but I wouldn't say it is for lazy people. More for people that have a time constraint in their life. I want to get one just for the bored, I could care less about the work out stuff.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

What Jaysonguy said and...

Going to the gym will cost me a lot more money.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Wii Fit is a lot of fun for families and competition. I spent the weekend with my sisters family and we played Wii Fit almost non-stop. As for the excercise part, well , it is a fun way to to do yoga moves and improve your balance. Why call people lazy just because they play Wii Fit?

maxgil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 maxgil2
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

prolly along the line of playing/having fun whilst being good for your body...BUT don't magically expect a 6 pacs abs by playing WiiFit. i don't see it as some sort of fitness regime tho, just my opinion.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

prolly along the line of playing/having fun whilst being good for your body...BUT don't magically expect a 6 pacs abs by playing WiiFit. i don't see it as some sort of fitness regime tho, just my opinion.

maxgil2
Well some people say its work, yeah its no instant weight loss device, no exercise, device or supplement will provide results like that, but people say that they lose weight using it.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

Wii Fit was the worst 90$ i spent my money on! I get more exersize/fun riding my bike or swimming. Yet my sister said, "this game is the best game ever! It has many fun minigames that you will love!" After telling here i was a bit skeptical (is that how you spell it) and the fact we needed four bateries for it she said,"Don't worry you will like it and i will buy 4 rechargable batteries especially for it" Close to 6 Months later she still hasnt got the batteries its not as much fun as it was the first 30 minuets and when i ask her if she will ever get the batteries she says,"I need it so i can repair my car"...her car has done nothing since she got it 4 years ago and it will continue to do so the next 4 years until she says, "Skrew it" and sells it and buys somthing else...

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11996 Posts
[QUOTE="msuspartan11"]

Your thoughts?

I have no doubt it is lazy. I have really fat cousins and this is what they do for exercise. I think to myself if you want to be active, go outside or go to a gym.
ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

[QUOTE="msuspartan11"]I sort of feel like it is. I mean it's good and everything but I don't think people can lose much weight by doing pushups and yoga once a day. Many of you are probably thinking "No they're not lazy, they just bought Wiifit" I feel like that 90$ could go towards something like a gym membership or something.Your thoughts?DDRMom

There is a huge home fitness market that was largely ignored by the gaming industry until Nintendo introduced wii fit. Almost since the dawn of tv there have been fitness programs on tv that women exercised to. The vcr introduced home exercise videos which led to accessories being bundled with dvds that we see at Costco. It seems a logical step to make fitness more interactive through your tv with the use of a console.

I do not think it is lazy to want to exercise in the comfort of your own home at your own pace whenever you want to. Its lazy if you buy it and dont use it. ;)

:lol: Haha, I agree with this.

rgame1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rgame1
Member since 2008 • 2526 Posts
no its for those who like snowboarding games like me
eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 eveileb-ekam
Member since 2009 • 1578 Posts
[QUOTE="gatsbythepig"][QUOTE="msuspartan11"]

Your thoughts?

I have no doubt it is lazy. I have really fat cousins and this is what they do for exercise. I think to myself if you want to be active, go outside or go to a gym.

Thats really supportive of you. The thing is fat people, they know theyre fat. They dont need other people's judgements - they likely care a great deal that theyre fat, especially with all the finger pointing that goes on. Fat people, for the most part, are also terrified of the gym, and terrified of going outside to get some exercise. Thats what happens when they get the piss taken out of them their whole lives. I should know. I lost three stone before I had the balls to go to the gym. So know, Wii Fit is not lazy. Whatever makes people take notice, and start to shift to a more healthier lifestyle is very much a good thing. Saying "Oh, go to the gym or go outside" just isnt an option when the world is full of plebs.
Iamsmee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Iamsmee
Member since 2008 • 470 Posts

professional sport is for lazy people, why do they get to play all the time while all us others are stuck at jobs we dont like?

gailp333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gailp333
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts

I think to myself if you want to be active, go outside or go to a gym.

This sounds logical and I think a lot of people think this way, however, there are many reasons (some of which have been touched on above) why someone can't or won't feel comfortable going to the gym (too public, expensive, etc) or exercising outdoors (weather, too public, runnning is hard on the knees, etc). I personally hate going to the gym and dislike outdoor exercise options except biking and skiing for which you need the proper conditions (and lots of money for skiing!).

I have read the testimonials on Amazon, etc. from people who say the Wii Fit got them started in exercising and I also know some "advanced" exercisers who enjoy Wii Fit (exercise does not have to "killer" to be beneficial and/or enjoyable - this is a fact). So, my thought is that it is not for lazy people. Getting started with any exercise program is hard! And if you have never faced that particular challenge, it may be hard to understand that it is indeed a challenge. Kudos to eveileb-ekam, for attaining your goal of getting to the gym! If Wii Fit can get people moving, it is a good thing - then they may get interested in exercise & maybe take it further and improve their well-being.

There is a thriving market for in-home exercise programs. Wii Fit could be the tip of the iceberg for many people! There are many websites frequented by in-home exercisers such asCollage Video or Video Fitness. And there are indeed some very demanding home exercise programs: Cathe Friedrich programs and Beach Body programs such as P90X to name just two out of many. These will challenge even the most hard-core gym rat. I am very active but am a dedicated in-home exerciser and do many programs such as these (as well as easier ones!). There are also a lot of beginner exercise programs, as well (I am mostly talking of fitness DVDs where you can use as much or as little equipment as you want).

I am looking forward to getting the balance board myself and at least trying the Wii Fit games; I really want the board for trying skiing & snowboarding games,too :).

As an aside: It is not WiiFit but Gold's Gym Cardio Wii is an excellent workout - can be any level you choose. I have been adding it to my workouts every other day for the last two weeks & it is a blast! I am 49 but my fitness age according to Gold's Gym is 22 - thanks to in-home workouts, for sure!

If there is anyone here who has gotten a start on fitness using WiiFit, I applaud you and encourage you to explore even more options for home exercise (maybe starting with Gold's Gym Cardio ? ;)). It is a world full of variety & a lot of fun.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
No I dont think so.
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
no its for those who like snowboarding games like mergame1
BINGO but you forgot to included skateboarding games! wiifit is a fantastic gaming peripheral. all you people bagging wiifit are the problem with this generations gamers. play games for fun folks not for an "image" or a "label"
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
I think Wii fit is for people that wanted to try something completely different. We have videos that try to teach us how to exercise, why not a game where you have have software help you and monitor your progress? Much better than a lame DVD or VCR exercise tape. Do you complain about training videos all day? Are they for lazy people that just don't want to go outside and work out? I don't see the connection that Wii Fit is bad that so many 'gamers' see... EDIT: I guess I should have read the thread... someone already pointed this out. I'll just confirm that they are right.
rgame1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rgame1
Member since 2008 • 2526 Posts
[QUOTE="rgame1"]no its for those who like snowboarding games like meteknic1200
BINGO but you forgot to included skateboarding games! wiifit is a fantastic gaming peripheral. all you people bagging wiifit are the problem with this generations gamers. play games for fun folks not for an "image" or a "label"

not a skateboarding fan!!
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 teknic1200
[QUOTE="teknic1200"][QUOTE="rgame1"]no its for those who like snowboarding games like mergame1

not a skateboarding fan!!

bummer. skate it was great. ahh but shaun white gets a sequel se we are in luck! I'm getting jacked with tonyhawk ride. I'll have to pick up their silly peripheral.
NBSRDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 NBSRDan
Member since 2009 • 1320 Posts
Wii Fit is a legitimate exercise solution masquerading as a game. It's a lot less expensive and more convenient than a gym membership or a normal home exercise machine. It has more in common with Yoga than with an intense, straining gym workout, but strain and intensity are not requirements to maintain a healthy physique.
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 teknic1200
who cares about exercising. what nintendo did is get the unit into enough homes that devs will make games for it. mom has it, so the kid can get the game. it's win win. wiifit for exercise. meh. wiifit for snowboard/skateboard games... it's fantastic. plus my computer has bluetooth, so I can use it as a midi foot-peddle to control music software. win win again. skate it and shaun white snowboarding were both excellent titles.
Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts

Wii Fit was the worst 90$ i spent my money on! I get more exersize/fun riding my bike or swimming. Yet my sister said, "this game is the best game ever! It has many fun minigames that you will love!" After telling here i was a bit skeptical (is that how you spell it) and the fact we needed four bateries for it she said,"Don't worry you will like it and i will buy 4 rechargable batteries especially for it" Close to 6 Months later she still hasnt got the batteries its not as much fun as it was the first 30 minuets and when i ask her if she will ever get the batteries she says,"I need it so i can repair my car"...her car has done nothing since she got it 4 years ago and it will continue to do so the next 4 years until she says, "Skrew it" and sells it and buys somthing else...

AmayaPapaya
... So... you do think it is for lazy people? ... Wait, what was the point of posting that story again? :P
creativeminded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 creativeminded
Member since 2005 • 1729 Posts

Yes, a game was released for lazy people to buy a game which would make them do exercise....wait, lazy people would avoid this game then!

CoralMark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CoralMark
Member since 2008 • 481 Posts

You miss out on a LOT of people who won't be making the gym or outside, for a variety of reasons. Childcare, time limitations, expense of a membership [a few months is far more than a WiiFit + additional videos]. Nevermind some gyms are not really women-friendly, and age and other issues can also make home-based exercise a much better fit.

While balance skills might not be of major importance for the young, they're important as one age. And as someone with a few years of Tai Chi under my belt - they're a lot more work and their development I personally found to be of great benefit.

Myself, I have an infant around home. While I can do some minor exercise with my WiiFit when she's sleeping ... I can't run, bike, or go to the gym. When weather and schedule permit - I can take her out for a bike - but options are quite limited. Some gyms have age limits for child care [if they even have it] ... or questionable childcare [and plenty don't have any at all].

Kids are expensive. Either I can have the gym membership - or I can skip it and have more cash to spend on opportunities for her to experience new things. As I'm just under 40 and am in excellent health [nor excess weight], currently my money is best spent on my child. [and for the price of gym membership around here, that's a LOT of kids programs/etc]

For my situation, the WiiFit allows me to do some balance/yoga work daily - along with some basic cardio or orther forms of working out. I know a hard session in the gym will get me sweatier and `feel' like I've done more - yet medicine has told me that raising my heartrate above a certain level for an extended period of time is what I'm looking for ... and more wear on my knees and joints is not welcomed. [I beat the crap out of my knees and ankles playing college soccer]

--

There's a multitude of reasons why home-based exercise is incredibly useful for a wide range of people. Nevermind cost concerns [or more important priorities] that make a gym membership a bad fit for many. While the WiiFit [nor about anything] is a perfect program or does all things for all people ... but it is a useful tool that makes cramming in exercise while my daughter is playing/napping a viable option for me.

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 teknic1200
^^ way to tell those silly kids not to be so closed-minded!
CoralMark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CoralMark
Member since 2008 • 481 Posts

^^ way to tell those silly kids not to be so closed-minded!teknic1200

I'm just waiting for them to get to be old fogeys too ... when I can LMAO.

Amazing the perspective a decade or two gives ... as years ago, I may have said the same sort of thing. Then I lived overseas, got a family ... amazing what life experince brings.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

No. Wii Fit is not free and someone buying it indicates that they NO LONGER wish to be lazy. This question makes no sense.

I would have gotten Wii Fit but I go to a gym.

sremick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sremick
Member since 2009 • 42 Posts
No, lazy people wouldn't bother to buy Wii Fit. I am not lazy and live a very active lifestyle. I'm already in really good shape. I worked out outside of the Wii even before I got Wii Fit. I see Wii Fit as an entertaining physical "supplement" and I have a lot of fun using it. It's handy how it tracks stuff for you, gives you goals and pushes you, and gives you a variety of activities with just a simple peripheral. Don't really get the hate.
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 teknic1200
[QUOTE="sremick"] Don't really get the hate.

it's "hardcore" to hate on the wii, kind of silly isn't it. I bought wiifit to play snowboard/skateboard games. it works great for those. more wiifits in more houses means more games. it's a win=win situation.