Is this the biggest shortage in video console history?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

magrappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 magrappy
Member since 2003 • 1835 Posts
What ever Nintendo have done they've made everyone in the world want a Wii. So long after the Wii release there still harder to find then rocking horse droppings. I got mine on release by pre-orderring months in advance and boy am i happy i did that. This has to be the longest shortage ever, and i can't really understand why past Twilight Princess, best marketing ever.
yoda-san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 yoda-san
Member since 2006 • 323 Posts
I had one since launch, but my two cousins who are looking for a Wii can't find them anywhere. On Sunday, we came close, but all the Wiis sold out before we got to the stores. And as a favor to my cousins, I have to buy them one if I see Wiis myself, since it's hard to locate a Wii by yourself.
specialed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 specialed
Member since 2003 • 3669 Posts

What ever Nintendo have done they've made everyone in the world want a Wii. So long after the Wii release there still harder to find then rocking horse droppings. I got mine on release by pre-orderring months in advance and boy am i happy i did that. This has to be the longest shortage ever, and i can't really understand why past Twilight Princess, best marketing ever.magrappy

Seeing that it has sold anywhere from 3-4 million(Atleast) worldwide, I would def not consider it the biggest shortage in history. And thats within 5 months time. Maybe the PS3 or xbox360, but not the wii.

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
Biggest ever? Probably not. But it is quite a shortage.
nsj0806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 nsj0806
Member since 2006 • 2433 Posts

i think your right

if theres going to be a big gap in the Video game releases they need to release 3 or 4 hit games

it has great potential just no games 

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

According to http://nexgenwars.com/ the Wii has sold over 6 million consoles (Although admittedly Next Gen Wars isn't precise.) There is a more precise calculator of console sales on teh interwebs but I can't find it >_>'

And if it is right, 6 million is hardly a shortage? 

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11989 Posts
Nah, this happens everytime new consoles are released.  Especially since we are hitting the summer season.  The big difference is that we have the VC to keep us busy.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
Its just hard to keep up with such high demand. For example. This past Sunday my co-worker went to Toys R Us because he heard they would have a shipment of wiis available. He told me when he got there around 7am he was nearly 60th in line and they had a stock of about 100 wiis. All sold out by the time the store opened because there were more people waiting in line than there were wiis. He also told me he saw a long line outside Best buy when he drove past on his way to toys R us.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

[QUOTE="magrappy"]What ever Nintendo have done they've made everyone in the world want a Wii. So long after the Wii release there still harder to find then rocking horse droppings. I got mine on release by pre-orderring months in advance and boy am i happy i did that. This has to be the longest shortage ever, and i can't really understand why past Twilight Princess, best marketing ever.specialed

Seeing that it has sold anywhere from 3-4 million(Atleast) worldwide, I would def not consider it the biggest shortage in history. And thats within 5 months time. Maybe the PS3 or xbox360, but not the wii.

It has sold upwards of 6 million.It sold 4 million somewhere around early February or even January. Also Konsolewars.com has it as almost 8 million now and with nexgenwars.com and vgcharts with aound 6.5 million.
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
[QUOTE="specialed"]

[QUOTE="magrappy"]What ever Nintendo have done they've made everyone in the world want a Wii. So long after the Wii release there still harder to find then rocking horse droppings. I got mine on release by pre-orderring months in advance and boy am i happy i did that. This has to be the longest shortage ever, and i can't really understand why past Twilight Princess, best marketing ever.nintendofreak_2

It has sold upwards of 6 million.It sold 4 million somewhere around early February or even January.

At this rate it'll overtake the 360 by the end of the year... 

T3h1337Pwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 T3h1337Pwnz
Member since 2007 • 770 Posts

i got mine off of amazon for the regular price

and why do people quote the first post?  

allich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 allich
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
In Sweden we will have Wiis ready to buy in June... Cuz the preorders are so many so they cant sell em just to anyone...
KingNabster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KingNabster
Member since 2006 • 420 Posts

I live in London, and the thing cant be found. Simply cannot be found. Nowhere, no one, can see, or can buy one. Its like a videogame consipiracy. I don't even know anyone has bought one here, only person I know with a WII got it from Spain. I want one really badly, but I can only get it by using my dads Amex card, since I is a student and all, so I need to walk into an Argos or, HMV and swipe that plastic. But this is impossible.

I call stores all the time, and talk to the employees. They tell me they get 3 - 4 ,a month. A Month.

I was told this the last two times I went to Virgin Megastore, on Ken High street, a pretty big store. Nintendo Europe blowz.

My theory is that so few are sent to Europe that its all in the hands of scallpers and employees, and most of the scalpers are employees themselves.  Atleast in the states its not like it is here.   

specialed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 specialed
[QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"][QUOTE="specialed"]

[QUOTE="magrappy"]What ever Nintendo have done they've made everyone in the world want a Wii. So long after the Wii release there still harder to find then rocking horse droppings. I got mine on release by pre-orderring months in advance and boy am i happy i did that. This has to be the longest shortage ever, and i can't really understand why past Twilight Princess, best marketing ever.kieranb2000

It has sold upwards of 6 million.It sold 4 million somewhere around early February or even January.

Exactly. Thsi is hardly a shortage in that respect. Maybe to the ones that can't find one, its looking like a shortage, but only through their eyes.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
no the ps2 had the biggest shortage when it came out I remember my brother in law standing outside walmart for 6 hours and after that they said theres no more in north america for like 6 months.ps2 was $599 back then
hazbazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hazbazz
Member since 2005 • 7709 Posts
there still harder to find then rocking horse droppings.magrappy

congratulations, you just won HazBazz's daily "you just made me lol" award
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts
I think it's the Nintendo DS Lite who won this palm. I mean come on just in Japan it's still in shortage and it's been 2 years.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
[QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"][QUOTE="specialed"]

[QUOTE="magrappy"]What ever Nintendo have done they've made everyone in the world want a Wii. So long after the Wii release there still harder to find then rocking horse droppings. I got mine on release by pre-orderring months in advance and boy am i happy i did that. This has to be the longest shortage ever, and i can't really understand why past Twilight Princess, best marketing ever.kieranb2000

It can't be at 8 million already, can it? WOW!!

T3h1337Pwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 T3h1337Pwnz
Member since 2007 • 770 Posts

I think it's the Nintendo DS Lite who won this palm. I mean come on just in Japan it's still in shortage and it's been 2 years. chris3116

quoted for truth 

topher_ls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 topher_ls
Member since 2003 • 314 Posts

Nah, this happens everytime new consoles are released. Especially since we are hitting the summer season. The big difference is that we have the VC to keep us busy.gatsbythepig

This happens with most consoles, not with the Ps3 though, you could find that fairly easy since late December. With the 360 it was about April last year that I started seeing them available for purchase. That was about the same as I remember the PS2 & original Xbox. The Wii does seem to still have a much larger demand than supply, so I expect it will still be quite a few months before they become readily available.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kemar7856
no way ds was so easy 2 find my dad just went ot the store 1 day and got it this was right after the release date
LuIsSiUl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LuIsSiUl
Member since 2004 • 1935 Posts

[QUOTE="magrappy"]What ever Nintendo have done they've made everyone in the world want a Wii. So long after the Wii release there still harder to find then rocking horse droppings. I got mine on release by pre-orderring months in advance and boy am i happy i did that. This has to be the longest shortage ever, and i can't really understand why past Twilight Princess, best marketing ever.specialed

the wii has actually sold almost 7 millions now. 

LuIsSiUl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LuIsSiUl

no the ps2 had the biggest shortage when it came out I remember my brother in law standing outside walmart for 6 hours and after that they said theres no more in north america for like 6 months.ps2 was $599 back thenkemar7856

you think ps2 had the biggest shortage?, what day is today? april 23th 2007, what day was it when the wii was released? november 19th 2006 wow more than six months if you ask me, six months and 3 or 4 days :P, but it is still sold out EVERYWHERE, and i really mean that "everywhere" and it seems this will keep up for like another 2-3 months, and that's without counting the wiis that will be sold when the big 3 come out :S now this is the biggest gaming console shortage if you ask me

medhopeful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 medhopeful
Member since 2006 • 351 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but it is really starting to look like Nintendo is purposely keeping supply low in order to keep demand way high...anyone else feel this way? It just seems unlikely that such a successful company would not be able to keep supply at a little more reasonable level. I can understand the shortages for the first couple months, but it is starting to get unbelievable that they can not do something more about it.
LuIsSiUl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LuIsSiUl

Maybe it's just me, but it is really starting to look like Nintendo is purposely keeping supply low in order to keep demand way high...anyone else feel this way? It just seems unlikely that such a successful company would not be able to keep supply at a little more reasonable level. I can understand the shortages for the first couple months, but it is starting to get unbelievable that they can not do something more about it.medhopeful

I really don't think that's the case, because if nintendo is doing that, how can you explain the 7 million (aprox.) units sold. I think they are doing everything they can, but when people see the wii's sold out they must think "wow 6 months and still sold out, it must be a great purchase if i buy one" and that's how the wii gets more and more owners :P 

TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
The Wii system itself is a gamble by Nintendo. Their sales estimates for the system's launch were probably conservative, as they figured it would take a while for people to adjust to the idea of the Wii and catch on. Nintendo probably had no idea that the system would sell this well and was unprepared for it, especially after general backlash against the GameCube. If you study industry you know that it takes a lot longer for companies to adjust their strategy and its not quite as simple as just "pumping out" more consoles. Even if Nintendo started to "pump out" more Wii consoles, it would take probably a good 6-8 months to see the effects. There is a delay of that nature in most industries.
medhopeful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 medhopeful
Member since 2006 • 351 Posts
I'm not saying you're wrong, but you make alot of assumptions in there lol. You might not even be arguing against what I said anyways, but it seems like you are. Either way, I was just throwing my idea out there. It's probably a little of what I said, a little of what you said, and a little of what luls SiUl
mario_bros_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mario_bros_
Member since 2007 • 215 Posts
[QUOTE="specialed"]

[QUOTE="magrappy"]What ever Nintendo have done they've made everyone in the world want a Wii. So long after the Wii release there still harder to find then rocking horse droppings. I got mine on release by pre-orderring months in advance and boy am i happy i did that. This has to be the longest shortage ever, and i can't really understand why past Twilight Princess, best marketing ever.LuIsSiUl

the wii has actually sold almost 7 millions now. 

You can keep track of the sales at nexgenwars.com

Beesond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 Beesond
Member since 2005 • 929 Posts
Yeah I recently decided to get myself a Wii. But holy crap, I didnt think they were gonna be so hard to get. I have been looking for one about two weeks, not to hard, but just looking aorund calling some stores. I live in California and I haven't noticed any lines in the morning anywhere... then again I go to work at 7am, and am too tired to pay attention to anything but the road. Sucks too, I am really looking toward to playing Zelda:TP, and the new Mario paper game. Oh well Maybe I will get lucky. Meantime I need to amp'up my searching. Also... Can you plug a ethernet cord into the Wii for internet, or does it only take Wifi? If so does anyone know where I can get one of those USB adapters that you plug into your computer and can make a WiFi hotspot so I can use it with the Wii? I saw some online but I would hate to order and not have it not be compatible with the Wii.
LuIsSiUl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LuIsSiUl

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you make alot of assumptions in there lol. You might not even be arguing against what I said anyways, but it seems like you are. Either way, I was just throwing my idea out there. It's probably a little of what I said, a little of what you said, and a little of what luls SiUlmedhopeful

thnx for including me :P :D 

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

Holy **** people. How many times am I going to have to say it? THE SYSTEM WAS JUST RECENTLY RELEASED LAST YEAR. THEY ARE STILL WORKING ON GETTING THE GAME VARIETY OUT THERE. THIS GOES FOR EVERY OTHER SYSTEM OUT THERE THAT RELEASES LIKE THE WII.

Sorry for caps lock, but I wanted to make sure people read the message.

enygma500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 enygma500
Member since 2005 • 3004 Posts
If you want a wi just go into any retailer on the days they recieve their trucks, generally tuesday and/or fridays. if you go in in the morning most places have them
ShadyNinjaMan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 ShadyNinjaMan1
Member since 2007 • 1448 Posts
I really ought to skip a few grades because I am eager to understand what goes on in the minds of businessmen.
KittyKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KittyKat
Member since 2002 • 26381 Posts
In december I thought by April the demand would be quenched enough to find a couple on the shelves- but that clearly is not the case.  I want my 2nd nunchuck for crying out loud. 
earth79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 earth79
Member since 2006 • 59 Posts
I just got on the F.Y.E. waiting list in late december and got mine in mid February. Ridiculous wait but it's easier than scouring the walmarts and best buys...
gigabrowser12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36 gigabrowser12
Member since 2006 • 1647 Posts

Check out my sig.
gigabrowser12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 gigabrowser12
Member since 2006 • 1647 Posts
Yeah I recently decided to get myself a Wii. But holy crap, I didnt think they were gonna be so hard to get. I have been looking for one about two weeks, not to hard, but just looking aorund calling some stores. I live in California and I haven't noticed any lines in the morning anywhere... then again I go to work at 7am, and am too tired to pay attention to anything but the road. Sucks too, I am really looking toward to playing Zelda:TP, and the new Mario paper game. Oh well Maybe I will get lucky. Meantime I need to amp'up my searching. Also... Can you plug a ethernet cord into the Wii for internet, or does it only take Wifi? If so does anyone know where I can get one of those USB adapters that you plug into your computer and can make a WiFi hotspot so I can use it with the Wii? I saw some online but I would hate to order and not have it not be compatible with the Wii.Beesond
You can use ethernet and wifi.
FunWithMatches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FunWithMatches
Member since 2005 • 250 Posts

[QUOTE="Beesond"]Yeah I recently decided to get myself a Wii. But holy crap, I didnt think they were gonna be so hard to get. I have been looking for one about two weeks, not to hard, but just looking aorund calling some stores. I live in California and I haven't noticed any lines in the morning anywhere... then again I go to work at 7am, and am too tired to pay attention to anything but the road. Sucks too, I am really looking toward to playing Zelda:TP, and the new Mario paper game. Oh well Maybe I will get lucky. Meantime I need to amp'up my searching. Also... Can you plug a ethernet cord into the Wii for internet, or does it only take Wifi? If so does anyone know where I can get one of those USB adapters that you plug into your computer and can make a WiFi hotspot so I can use it with the Wii? I saw some online but I would hate to order and not have it not be compatible with the Wii.gigabrowser12
You can use ethernet and wifi.

To use an ethernet chord you just need to go to a gamestop or eb games and ask about buying an adapter if I'm not mistaken. You can also order one through nintendo (takes about a week to arrive). You can also just go out and buy that USB adapter for your computer if you don't currently have wireless internet.

Stuffed_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Stuffed_Monkey
Member since 2007 • 1436 Posts
I think that it would have been the greatest shortage if  Brawl, Mario Galaxy would come out faster.
meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts

Please do a search. The usb wifi adapter issues with some isps, where to get it (nearly every best buy, walmart, online retailers.

The ethernet adapter is discussed in the wii manual and where to order it is also easily found online. If you want to get your ds online the ethernet adapter will not work to do so since the wii is not a wifi hotspot.

Now onto the subject there is no shortage just unprecented demand. The wii has sold more worldwide in six months then any other console. Sony, Microsoft wish they could sell a million consoles a month worldwide. Nintendo sells what wiis they are made with some being donated to charities, pr events, replacement units, store demo units, units to game reviewers.

specialed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 specialed

[QUOTE="kemar7856"]no the ps2 had the biggest shortage when it came out I remember my brother in law standing outside walmart for 6 hours and after that they said theres no more in north america for like 6 months.ps2 was $599 back thenLuIsSiUl

you think ps2 had the biggest shortage?, what day is today? april 23th 2007, what day was it when the wii was released? november 19th 2006 wow more than six months if you ask me, six months and 3 or 4 days :P, but it is still sold out EVERYWHERE, and i really mean that "everywhere" and it seems this will keep up for like another 2-3 months, and that's without counting the wiis that will be sold when the big 3 come out :S now this is the biggest gaming console shortage if you ask me

I guess that I see it differently. To sell that many in a 5 month span, you can call it a shortage? Man, i think thats pretty extreme to say the least. I mean, if it was only selling maybe 1 or two million and still demand was there and supply wasnt, then I might agree.

DKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DKII
Member since 2004 • 353 Posts
no the ps2 had the biggest shortage when it came out I remember my brother in law standing outside walmart for 6 hours and after that they said theres no more in north america for like 6 months.ps2 was $599 back thenkemar7856
Dude I got a PS2 at launch and it was only $300. They were sold out pretty bad until its 6th month, March 2001, when it finally sold 600k units after most months at 200-300k. The Wii is actually tracking slightly ahead of the PS2 in NA so far.
kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kemar7856
[QUOTE="kemar7856"]no the ps2 had the biggest shortage when it came out I remember my brother in law standing outside walmart for 6 hours and after that they said theres no more in north america for like 6 months.ps2 was $599 back thenDKII
Dude I got a PS2 at launch and it was only $300. They were sold out pretty bad until its 6th month, March 2001, when it finally sold 600k units after most months at 200-300k. The Wii is actually tracking slightly ahead of the PS2 in NA so far.

what wore u smoking ps2 was not $300 at launch I got mines fore 599 canadian there are no shortages of wiis I see them everywhere I was in ebgames last week and they had some.
pollorobot01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pollorobot01
Member since 2006 • 148 Posts
it does not work that way the problem is that america is too big so when 20.000 wii arrive the retailers just get like 6 or 7 maybe 30 or 40 if it s a gamestop, walmart..... thats why u don t see wii anywhere
magrappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 magrappy
Member since 2003 • 1835 Posts

According to http://nexgenwars.com/ the Wii has sold over 6 million consoles (Although admittedly Next Gen Wars isn't precise.) There is a more precise calculator of console sales on teh interwebs but I can't find it >_>'

And if it is right, 6 million is hardly a shortage?

kieranb2000

I think 6 million is a shortage when theres about 10 million+ dieing to get hold of one, i think the number of people wanting one might be growing faster then Nintendo can make them. If come summer the Wii still can't stay on shelves longer then 5 seconds this has to be some kind of record. Over a thousand going every week on ebay for profit doesn't help shops stock levels. I can't talk about other countries but the UK shortage is pretty big.

vwgti3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 vwgti3
Member since 2004 • 118 Posts
Dang their is still a shortage of wii, At least it not a hard to find one like in January when I got mine.
LordelXP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LordelXP
Member since 2006 • 47 Posts

I think that it would have been the greatest shortage if  Brawl, Mario Galaxy would come out faster. Stuffed_Monkey

It's not going to be Smash Brothers Brawl or Mario Galaxy that sells systems. Those games only cater to the Nintendo fanboys. What's going to sell systems is the fitness software combined with the exercise channel. After six months of the fitness software and excercise channel being released, we're going to see worldwide demand for the console triple. Then it really will be the greatest shortage of all time.

NJTsunami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NJTsunami
Member since 2003 • 84 Posts

All I'm going to say is I'm glad I didn't listen to the industry when they said "there'll be enough for everyone." I waited in-line for six hours in 30 degrees to pre-order the system, and was worth every moment on that line and every dollar I spent.

While hard to get, I wouldn't call it a ahortage on Nintendo's part. They have been crusing to get these things to retailers non-stop. I mean, come on...at least four million worldwide in five months is pretty impressive. It's just that EVERYONE wants the Wii, and they are being bought up as soon as they hit the stores. I'm still hearing of lines for the system when people learn there is a shippment coming in. 

jorgeluisbl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jorgeluisbl
Member since 2005 • 1479 Posts
Yeah Wiis are hard to find, I also pre- ordered mine so I don´t have to worry about that ^^