This topic is locked from further discussion.

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Alx1231
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

Before I say anything I just want to say that I am a HUGE Nintendo fan and I grew up and love their franchises. That being said, I did not like the direction that Nintendo went with the Wii and never thought it was worther buying. After countless hours of trying in vein to think of a way I can play Skyward sword with out actualy owning a wii, I've decided thaat the only way would be to play it at a friends house and that is just not as comfortable as i want it to be. So my question is, is it crazy for me to buy a Wii just for Skyward Sword??

staindcoldlp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 staindcoldlp
Member since 2004 • 15121 Posts

Not necessarily. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have purhcased a console just for one game.

Though in my opinion, there are plenty of other games I own now that justify my Wii purhcase. I wouldn't get a console for just one game.

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Alx1231

Not necessarily. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have purhcased a console just for one game.

Though in my opinion, there are plenty of other games I own now that justify my Wii purhcase. I wouldn't get a console for just one game.

staindcoldlp

What games would you suggest? I never really played much games on the Wii and I want to make it okay in my mind lol. I really my sane self to justify the purchase and just the crazy Zelda fan.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
You must become one of us. ONE OF US.
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#5 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
Nintendo have always tried to make console-selling software for each generation of consoles, so if you were to buy a Wii for Skyward Sword then I think you could do worse. If I were you, I'd buy a pre-owned Wii, because you only really need it to last through one game. Then the system is discontinued.
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Why do Wii stink threads always seem to begin with the disclaimer "I was a huge Nintendo fan"?

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
It's never worth to buy a console for one game. With that said, the Wii has millions of extremly good games, so don't focus only on Zelda SS.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I bought a Wii just for Metroid Prime 3, they're called system sellers for a reason.
Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Alx1231

I bought a Wii just for Metroid Prime 3, they're called system sellers for a reason.meetroid8

Lol, that's true. I've been looking around and there are a good amount of games that I do want to play. Some RPGs and alot of Nintendo franchise games. I'm still not 100% sure but I think imma get one. Zelda is just too tempting.

romainsimoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 romainsimoni
Member since 2002 • 1955 Posts

Can't you rent a console? I know it's not common but I've seen video game rental stores doing this. Or you could offer your friend some money to borrow it, I did this with the Xbox 360 some 2 years ago.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Can't you rent a console? I know it's not common but I've seen video game rental stores doing this. Or you could offer your friend some money to borrow it, I did this with the Xbox 360 some 2 years ago.

romainsimoni
I dont think renting consoles is around anymore, but my bro used to do it.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I'm sure you'll find some more games if ya look. I was the same way with the 360 and Tales of Vesperia. ToV was the only game I saw on the 360 that interested me, but I am a huge fan of the series, tough decision. But I looked and found a bunch of other games that are really great as well. The system was well worth buying for me.

And if you love a lot of Nintendo's series, even if you don't like motion controls much, there are Mario games, Fire Emblem, and Smash Bros that use the Wii-mote very little or not at all. Then there's Mario kart which comes with the system, and you have the option to play with the GCN or Classic controler if you want. I wouldn't say it's crazy to get the syetem for these games alone, but you might even find more then this if ya look hard enough.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
No, isn't it like really cheap now? Especially used. Besides, there are other games you would like other than Skyward Sword.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

In Australia I can get a new Wii console for $130. That's pretty darn cheap. I'm not a fan of motion controls either but my Wii has a secure spot in my house because of the following titles

• Pikmin 2 (port)
  • Metroid Other M
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Muramasa
  • Wii sports (yeah I know it's motion but I love it)
  • New Super Mario Bros

I have a few other ok titles like the Resident Evil and Dead Space rail shooters but they're the ones that really made the system worthwhile for me.

Either way there's nothing wrong with buying a system for one game. Maybe wait and try out Skyward Sword before you buy it though as motion controls made me dislike Twilight Princess and you might end up being the same.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#15 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
It'd be crazy if you bought the game without owning the system. (Or would it...?)
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

Before I say anything I just want to say that I am a HUGE Nintendo fan and I grew up and love their franchises. That being said, I did not like the direction that Nintendo went with the Wii and never thought it was worther buying. After countless hours of trying in vein to think of a way I can play Skyward sword with out actualy owning a wii, I've decided thaat the only way would be to play it at a friends house and that is just not as comfortable as i want it to be. So my question is, is it crazy for me to buy a Wii just for Skyward Sword??

Alx1231
My question is, what direction do you think they went that was so different than the past?
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chickan_117

My question is, what direction do you think they went that was so different than the past?dotWithShoes
That's obvious isn't it? They sacrificed technology/power to make a machine that was cheaper and would appeal to the larger audience rather than the established fan base. They hoped it would appeal to both but developers took it somewhere they weren't expecting.

thesnowdog2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thesnowdog2005
Member since 2005 • 87 Posts
It's worth buying a Wii for Pro Evo and Tiger Woods alone. Once you've played Pro Evo with pointer controls and gotten over the learning curve you won't want to play any other football game on any other console with dual analogs ever again. The Wii excels in sports games and survival horror games. I've got all 3 consoles this gen and the Wii is my favourite. Buy one, they're as cheap as chips these days.
superxtreme101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 superxtreme101
Member since 2010 • 422 Posts

Not at all, I got the Wii for SSBB and now I have a ton of great Wii games and I did not regret buying it at all. The reason I want to get the Wii U is for the new Smash game and Pikmin 3. So again not a problem and definitely not crazy. It's software that sells hardware.

The reason I want to get the PS3 in the near future is for Metal Gear Solid 4 only.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Considering there's an entire generation of great games you have missed, no it's not crazy. Get a wii, play SS, and then get playing all the awesome games you missed.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"]My question is, what direction do you think they went that was so different than the past?Chickan_117

That's obvious isn't it? They sacrificed technology/power to make a machine that was cheaper and would appeal to the larger audience rather than the established fan base. They hoped it would appeal to both but developers took it somewhere they weren't expecting.

Okay? So the GameCube required them to not try to compete hardware wise. Nintendo has delivered at least 1 title(most of which are highly reviewed) in most of their franchises, established a new franchise(Wii series of games), all the while supporting their console and handheld system. Where other developers went with the games they made for the Wii means nothing to my question, I asked what NINTENDO has done differently, and that's only made a system that wasn't among the top consoles in terms of computing power. Everything else they have done has been, same ole Nintendo(which, ironically is what everyone always complains about but then say they changed this generation and that's bad)
Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Alx1231

[QUOTE="Chickan_117"]

[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"]My question is, what direction do you think they went that was so different than the past?dotWithShoes

Okay? So the GameCube required them to not try to compete hardware wise. Nintendo has delivered at least 1 title(most of which are highly reviewed) in most of their franchises, established a new franchise(Wii series of games), all the while supporting their console and handheld system. Where other developers went with the games they made for the Wii means nothing to my question, I asked what NINTENDO has done differently, and that's only made a system that wasn't among the top consoles in terms of computing power. Everything else they have done has been, same ole Nintendo(which, ironically is what everyone always complains about but then say they changed this generation and that's bad)

I don't think nintendo changed. The reason I couldn't see myself getting the Wii was because of the controls. I don't think about the sacrifices they made for the casual. I just never seen myself playing with motion controls. To me, graphics have nothing to do with the enjoyment of a game. Control does.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chickan_117

Okay? So the GameCube required them to not try to compete hardware wise. Nintendo has delivered at least 1 title(most of which are highly reviewed) in most of their franchises, established a new franchise(Wii series of games), all the while supporting their console and handheld system. Where other developers went with the games they made for the Wii means nothing to my question, I asked what NINTENDO has done differently, and that's only made a system that wasn't among the top consoles in terms of computing power. Everything else they have done has been, same ole Nintendo(which, ironically is what everyone always complains about but then say they changed this generation and that's bad)dotWithShoes
What's your argument? You asked what Nintendo did differently this time, I answered that they traded power improvements to expand their audience and keep costs low, then you argued... what?

Game & Watch > Table G&W - Added color and joystick controls

Table G&W > NES - Full customisable experiences, blah blah blah

NES > SNES - improved controller, improved processing power, expansive of options for devs.

SNES > GC - improved controller, improved processing power, expansive of options for devs.

GC > Wii - completely new control method, similar processing power, change in direction for devs.

So how do you feel that Nintendo have kept to their standard business model with the Wii?

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 goblaa

[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="Chickan_117"]That's obvious isn't it? They sacrificed technology/power to make a machine that was cheaper and would appeal to the larger audience rather than the established fan base. They hoped it would appeal to both but developers took it somewhere they weren't expecting.

Alx1231

I don't think nintendo changed. The reason I couldn't see myself getting the Wii was because of the controls. I don't think about the sacrifices they made for the casual. I just never seen myself playing with motion controls. To me, graphics have nothing to do with the enjoyment of a game. Control does.

Well, I feel bad for you I guess. Have you tried motion controls? Almost all of them require very little movement and the wiimote's pointer is like a revolution in control.

All I'm saying is that some of this gens best games are motion controlled. It's a shame to miss them because of some pre-conceived notion of them that you could find out is false.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chickan_117

All I'm saying is that some of this gens best games are motion controlled.

goblaa

Just out of curiosity but which ones? I have Wii, Move and Kinect and, so far, none of my favourite titles are motion controlled. I'm not criticising, just genuinely curious.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

Chickan_117

Just out of curiosity but which ones? I have Wii, Move and Kinect and, so far, none of my favourite titles are motion controlled. I'm not criticising, just genuinely curious.

Well obviously this is all subjective, but some of my favorites this gen, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Lost Winds WotM, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, and others have made extensive and exceptional use of motion controls.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Chickan_117

Hmmm, maybe I should go back and play the Metroid Prime Trilogy then. Or can I just skip to #3 and read up on the story? I have every other Metroid game (inc Other M) but was put off number 1 after playing it on GC... not sure why, I think I was in a bit of a gaming break at the time and wasn't that interested in a Metroid FPS puzzle game. Strange considering I generally love that sort of thing.

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Alx1231

[QUOTE="Alx1231"]

[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"] Okay? So the GameCube required them to not try to compete hardware wise. Nintendo has delivered at least 1 title(most of which are highly reviewed) in most of their franchises, established a new franchise(Wii series of games), all the while supporting their console and handheld system. Where other developers went with the games they made for the Wii means nothing to my question, I asked what NINTENDO has done differently, and that's only made a system that wasn't among the top consoles in terms of computing power. Everything else they have done has been, same ole Nintendo(which, ironically is what everyone always complains about but then say they changed this generation and that's bad)goblaa

Well, I feel bad for you I guess. Have you tried motion controls? Almost all of them require very little movement and the wiimote's pointer is like a revolution in control.

All I'm saying is that some of this gens best games are motion controlled. It's a shame to miss them because of some pre-conceived notion of them that you could find out is false.

I have played the Wii before lol. I'm a gamer, just because I don't own a console doesn't mean I don't have friends who who have it. I played Mario Galaxy on the Wii and Mario Kart which are both very fun games. The issue I had with the Wii was the dozens apon dozens of piles of crap that the system does have on it. I've decided that I will be getting the Wii just for Skyward Sword but that doesn't mean that I'm not gonna go looking for the awesome games for it now that I actually do have the opportunity to play it.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 goblaa

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

[QUOTE="Alx1231"]

Alx1231

I have played the Wii before lol. I'm a gamer, just because I don't own a console doesn't mean I don't have friends who who have it. I played Mario Galaxy on the Wii and Mario Kart which are both very fun games. The issue I had with the Wii was the dozens apon dozens of piles of crap that the system does have on it. I've decided that I will be getting the Wii just for Skyward Sword but that doesn't mean that I'm not gonna go looking for the awesome games for it now that I actually do have the opportunity to play it.

Well there's no denying that the wii has a ton of terrible games. But here's the little secret...don't play them. That leaves just the good games which there is enough of to keep you busy for a really long time.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#30 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

[QUOTE="Alx1231"]

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

goblaa

Well there's no denying that the wii has a ton of terrible games. But here's the little secret...don't play them. That leaves just the good games which there is enough of to keep you busy for a really long time.

Indeed there are. Several, several dozens of wii games worth playing, to keep busy for many years quite so, and that's before the account of the hundreds of titles on the vc which further creates more opportunity with the already rich diverse Wii software. Still, the opportunity of Skyward Sword will hopefully bring value of your investment.
thesnowdog2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thesnowdog2005
Member since 2005 • 87 Posts

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

Chickan_117

Godfather Blackhand Edition Zack & Wiki's Quest For Barbaros' Treasure Tiger Woods Pro Evo Metroid Prime Trilogy Bully Trauma Center Second Opinion Trauma Center New Blood Trauma Team House of The Dead Overkill Dead Space Extraction Red Steel 2 Manhunt 2 Uncut (not for sale, buy the retail censored version and either patch an ISO or download it) Resident Evil 4 Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles Okami Rayman Raving Rabbids 1 Some are improved by motion controls and some are improved by pointer controls. All are excellent. If you have Move then The Fight Lights Out is an essential purchase, but there's a learning curve to get over and you'll need to be prepared for some serious exercise. You'll also need to be able to punch your way out of a paper bag, something that the vast majority of reviewers struggled with...hence the review scores lol. Ignore the reviews from so called professionals and pay attention to user reviews and feedback from forums.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Chickan_117

Lol, thanks for the advice. I do tend to follow user advice rather than reviews for most of my purchases. Nothing against reviewers it's just they usually do their reviews pre-release and on a strict time limit. I often prefer to read reviews from people who have given it a month or two. Then you get the whole "longevity" portion in the review too.

Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 Nozizaki
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

Alx1231

You could wait for Wii U.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#34 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I would say that a Wii is best for the exclusive Nintendo franchises on it, like Mario and Zelda. For multiplatform games in general, the Wii doesn't graphically stack up when compared to the HD PS3 and 360.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34811 Posts
Either wait for Wii-U, or get some of the sweet games you missed along with SS.
darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#36 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts

I don't think Nintendo changed. The reason I couldn't see myself getting the Wii was because of the controls. I don't think about the sacrifices they made for the casual. I just never seen myself playing with motion controls. To me, graphics have nothing to do with the enjoyment of a game. Control does.

Alx1231

I kinda hear you. I was scared about the whole motion control thing too. I'm still not super-crazy about it and use the GameCube controller when I can, but some games such as Mario Kart are easy with either or. Games like Super Mario Galaxy feel natural using motion controls. Once you get the system, the controls will grow on you, TRUST ME.

darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#37 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts

I wish I would have read this whole topic before I posted. -_-

Anyway, glad you are getting a Wii. I hear Muramasa is a good game too and it's very cheap. At amazon.com it's like 11.99. It's an action adventure type game.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

I got my Wii just to play Super Smash Bro's Brawl.

Do i regret it ?

Nope... I play with my cousin all the time and have a blast....

so if it's a game you will really like then sure why not ^^

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
borrow your friend's wii. i managed to beat shadow of the colossus without owning a PS2.
bls_essex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bls_essex
Member since 2008 • 266 Posts

I picked up a Wii a couple of weeks ago for $130 from Amazon. It was the black Wii w/ Mario Kart bundle. I have Mario Kart and Twilight Princess. This system is golden as far as I'm concerned. I will be picking up the Skyward Sword w/ gold remote later this year.

And yes, it seems as if this system does have a bit of shovelware. Why wasn't Nintendo more stringent on the quality controls? Wasn't that one of the reasons for the video game crash in the early 80's?